Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I haven't played in a few months and didn't even realize this had launched now! I've read the last several pages and it appears BB's are getting poo poo on by carriers and CA heat spam so I was going to start cruisers (again). I played the US cruisers before and thought the Cleveland was the tits but what would you guys recommend if you had to pick between IJN and US cruisers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Just started playing and one of the things I noticed compared to WoT is things like random battles and captain training are behind an xp wall.Does increasing the tier of your vessel increase xp gain like in WoT? I am just wondering the most expedient course to unlocking all the basic functions of the game. Kind of irritated by the idea of captains not gaining XP until I have gained x amount of xp.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Hoboskins posted:

Just started playing and one of the things I noticed compared to WoT is things like random battles and captain training are behind an xp wall.Does increasing the tier of your vessel increase xp gain like in WoT? I am just wondering the most expedient course to unlocking all the basic functions of the game. Kind of irritated by the idea of captains not gaining XP until I have gained x amount of xp.

Trust me, it isn't that big a deal. I think it took maybe a day to get up to level 8 unlocked even while trying to figure out how the game worked. And (the first few) captain skills are way less of a grind than crew skills are in wot. You aren't missing much without that 4k experience or whatever it actually is.
Also, remember to switch to pvp when it unlocks, you'll start pulling in several times what pve gives you.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Really hate doing 60k+ damage and getting below 1k base xp on loss :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Axetrain posted:

I haven't played in a few months and didn't even realize this had launched now! I've read the last several pages and it appears BB's are getting poo poo on by carriers and CA heat spam so I was going to start cruisers (again). I played the US cruisers before and thought the Cleveland was the tits but what would you guys recommend if you had to pick between IJN and US cruisers?

US cruisers from tier 3 to 6 are utterly dominant HE spam machines. Japanese cruisers from tier 3 to 6 are not dominant, but still fun, only the 3 and 4 are agile HE spam machines but with much less broadside weight than the US equivalents, whereas the 5 and 6 are heavy cruisers with pace and bite using AP. Can't tell you about anything past that.

The recent buff to the Furutaka turned it from a bad ship to a good ship, it's still very fast and a little fragile, but the buff to turret turn speed makes the guns turn just fast enough to stop being frustrating, and the buff to rate of fire makes them fire just often enough to be threatening.

Both lines basically end in big heavy cruisers at the moment, but there's a rumour that the US cruiser line is going to be split into a light cruiser (6") line, and a heavy cruiser (8") line, with the Cleveland moving up to a more acceptable tier 8 with a HP buff. Bunch of WiP ships to be added, ie Worcester at 10, Fargo at 9, Brooklyn at 7, Juneau at 6. That would lead to, for the US at least, cruiser lines that have a single, distinct play style from start to finish.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 22, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I would recommend Jap DDs up to the Minekaze as well, it's really fun to play and you make a lot of bad players angry. Just try to stay out of spotting range and torp stuff that can't see you. I am currently on the tier6 with the 10km torps and it's not as much fun anymore and kinda harder to play, so not sure I'd recommend going past the Minekaze.

As for US DDs, they're fun for DD duels because of their superior guns but their torps are really hard to use with their limited range, not sure if that gets any more fun past tier5.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
At low tiers (1-3) is AP useful to load? or will I just be over penetrating and scoring zero damage hits most of the time.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
:ussr: :hitler:

quote:

Captains, the Russian destroyers will be steaming into World of Warships in October, along with the German cruisers.
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/rude-ships/

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Axetrain posted:

Despite what people may claim Battleships can still be very useful to their team and fun to play. Sure there is a lot of frustration when a high tier Carrier decides it is your time to die but after the MM patch things got a lot better. Yes competent cruisers combined with bad RNG can leave you constantly on fire but then again most pubbie cruisers will happily show you their broadsides and you can literally explode them in one salvo.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A good number of pubbie cruisers in tier 6-8 seem fully aware that they should keep distance and kite BBs. Upper-mid tier DDs aren't a huge deal but top tier DDs can be a huge pain in the rear end with some pretty impressive long range torp walls allowing them to play like improved Minekazes.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Warbadger posted:

A good number of pubbie cruisers in tier 6-8 seem fully aware that they should keep distance and kite BBs. Upper-mid tier DDs aren't a huge deal but top tier DDs can be a huge pain in the rear end with some pretty impressive long range torp walls allowing them to play like improved Minekazes.

I've been seeing a lot more angled Cruisers these days as well, makes it hard to get any real decent hits on them while they poo poo HE down on you.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

What would be average stats for a player in this game? I want to set some sort of metric to improve my play style at least and see where i'm under performing.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
You can see average stats for each server here:

http://warshipstats.com/

That site only includes players who have ever looked up their name on that site (or had their name looked up by someone else) though.

Stats for the entire playerbase are probably lower across the board, assuming poo poo players/newbies are less likely to check out a site like warshipstats.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 22, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fizzil posted:

What would be average stats for a player in this game? I want to set some sort of metric to improve my play style at least and see where i'm under performing.

The warshipstats site is pretty good to gauge how you are doing. I'd say anything above 30k damage or 1000 base XP is going to be "good".

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The Warspite is pretty awesome, when will I have all the British tea drinking BBs?

So what I learned from that stats site, I apparently now how to click red things but don't know enough about what I am doing to win games.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 22, 2015

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Might also be a server thing I imagine Europe has at least 2 times the active players than North America and more chance to meet pubbies who will give you an easy target.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
2 new branch coming soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRxTA7VmvWI

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Axetrain posted:

Omaha rules and Cleveland is still strong for its tier (but very one-dimensional), otherwise the US cruisers quickly turn into playing the same, mediocre ship over and over and over. If you happen to like that ship it's fine, but otherwise I doubt the tier 10 is worth it.
Japanese cruisers have more variation, and Furutaka shouldn't be as much of an obstacle. Unfortunately they have a low point at tier 9, but it shouldn't be significantly worse than the US low point and it's only one tier.

Battleships aren't getting poo poo on, the latest patch was an improvement for them and they were already strong in the hands of a competent player. Playing a battleship without a platoon is a bit of a handicap as far as winning goes, but only because you can't control base capture well enough.
All the stat inflation platoons are playing 2 Iowa or Yamato/1 US CV at tier 9-10 for a reason. Basically don't avoid battleships because of posting in this thread.

edit: if you're asking about good ship lines in general, you can't go wrong with anything Japanese that's not carriers or mid/high-tier destroyers, or US battleships if you don't mind being very slow and having a lovely tier 7.

Fizzil posted:

You can see average player and top 10% stats by ship here. Warshipstats does the same, but doesn't include all players.
Overall stats are kind of limited because there's a meaningful effect from which ship classes you play most.

I can't wait for idiots to whine about including the ALL FAKE SHIP RUSSIAN BIAS LINE with the German ships.
fully 40% of the revealed German line is paper, and I get the feeling the tier 10 (maybe 9 too) was designed by Wargaming

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 22, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Well so far I really like my Colorado, but that might just be me. And I only do have the propulsion upgrade so far.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Where the goons be at? I want to play this game. Is the population just really low? TeamSpeak is almost always empty, irc is empty.

You can hit me up on Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/therope/) or I hang out in the Camping the Stairs mumble.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is Vigilance (+20% torp spotting range) actually worth getting over Superintendent/High Alert?

Thinking of getting it on my USN DD captain because I'm often getting close to enemy DDs/CAs and dodging waves of torps... +20% isn't much though. Experiences, anyone?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm usually on CTS Mumble in one of the bottom channels with Bad Games Crew. Come yell at me if you want to play this game together.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

PirateBob posted:

Is Vigilance (+20% torp spotting range) actually worth getting over Superintendent/High Alert?

Thinking of getting it on my USN DD captain because I'm often getting close to enemy DDs/CAs and dodging waves of torps... +20% isn't much though. Experiences, anyone?

Its good, but now that US DDs have longer action time on smoke, and Defensive Fire has charges for US DDs, Superintendent is the superior choice. Vigilance remains a not bad choice, but Defensive Fire is very strong, and US DDs can do very cool things with smoke. High Alert is a sub-optimal choice for a DD captain.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I haven't played since open beta started. Have they fixed carrier balance at all? Is it worth getting a Tirpitz?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Vengarr posted:

I haven't played since open beta started. Have they fixed carrier balance at all? Is it worth getting a Tirpitz?

No and yes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

I'm thinking about getting a Tirpitz based on how the german cruiser line shakes out. The Zao is cool and all, but I want to see how the Hindenburg stacks up to it. I also feel like the increased prevalence of high-level battleships makes it tougher to farm credits in the Atago.

If the Hindenburg doesn't appeal to me I'll probably stick with what I've got and farm credits with the Murmansk (albeit more slowly).

If the Hindenburg IS a piece of power creep then I might just take a break.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

wdarkk posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Tirpitz based on how the german cruiser line shakes out. The Zao is cool and all, but I want to see how the Hindenburg stacks up to it. I also feel like the increased prevalence of high-level battleships makes it tougher to farm credits in the Atago.

If the Hindenburg doesn't appeal to me I'll probably stick with what I've got and farm credits with the Murmansk (albeit more slowly).

If the Hindenburg IS a piece of power creep then I might just take a break.

The Tirpirz is to the Deutschland what the Deutschland is to the Hipper.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well you only have 8 days to buy Tirpitz.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

The Tirpirz is to the Deutschland what the Deutschland is to the Hipper.

The Deutschland isn't in it seems, the tier 10 is a Zao-like called the Hindenburg.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Finally unlocked my first CV. The Langley.

It's... not fun. Launch bombers and fighters, order the fighters to protect the bombers and order them to attack an enemy Wyoming that was spotted by a suicidal DD.

Sit around and watch the map.

Get blown up.

It's like the SPG in World of Tanks. So boring.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

wdarkk posted:

The Deutschland isn't in it seems, the tier 10 is a Zao-like called the Hindenburg.

I am talking actual real boat wise.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

wdarkk posted:

Have they revealed anything more about the German ships? It would be nice to see what the wargaming ship names are representing (mostly I want to see if Yorck is the M project).

Also :poland: destroyers are apparently coming early 2016, I can't wait to see the EU racism.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

James Garfield posted:

Have they revealed anything more about the German ships? It would be nice to see what the wargaming ship names are representing (mostly I want to see if Yorck is the M project).

Also :poland: destroyers are apparently coming early 2016, I can't wait to see the EU racism.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3lx3dm/ad_soviet_destroyers_and_german_cruisers_on_the/cva1s7s

Dude doing a breakdown of what we can see in the video.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I thought this game was unplayable at the moment with another warpack mod allowing calculated leading

wg are normally good at picking their battles, it should just be in the default client like with wowp

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

Its good, but now that US DDs have longer action time on smoke, and Defensive Fire has charges for US DDs, Superintendent is the superior choice. Vigilance remains a not bad choice, but Defensive Fire is very strong, and US DDs can do very cool things with smoke. High Alert is a sub-optimal choice for a DD captain.

At what tier do they get Defensive Fire?

stephenfry posted:

wg are normally good at picking their battles,

If you say so :stare:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I hope the spiral development model they seem to be doing with the Soviet/German ships will continue and give us a UK BB tree soon-ish.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

stephenfry posted:

I thought this game was unplayable at the moment with another warpack mod allowing calculated leading

wg are normally good at picking their battles, it should just be in the default client like with wowp

With the way HE works in this game I'd rather they didnt add a Just aim here feature.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I don't think there's any way to really block the aim-assist without a massive investment in server-side heuristic detection. Code injection will always win eventually, your only recourse is to ban motherfuckers.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

PirateBob posted:

If you say so :stare:

compared to most game devs, yes -- look at MWO, WT, most MMOs. this is the genius behind tanks. the game is unhackable, because of the unpopular decisions around spotting mechanics and RNG. The client is really quite thin. They haven't applied the same philosophy to warships, making it fun and vaguely reflective of real function in the short term (HE shells really are that bad to have raining down on your warship irl, you the player are the gunnery skill of the crew etc) but opening it up to disparity in the long run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Wade Wilson posted:

Finally unlocked my first CV. The Langley.

It's... not fun. Launch bombers and fighters, order the fighters to protect the bombers and order them to attack an enemy Wyoming that was spotted by a suicidal DD.

Sit around and watch the map.

Get blown up.

It's like the SPG in World of Tanks. So boring.

Carriers are not for everyone. But the langley is pretty bad tho. When you get to a higher tier, the ship moves faster, you have more squads which in turn are also faster. You get to see the whole map and generally have a better idea of what is going on compared to BB's and CC's that spend most of their time zoomed in.

It can be drat frustrating tho dependng on the matchup, the load-outs and the teams.