Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
Well educated...except if you read interviews with the migrants, many of them are poor, uneducated young men with no skills or training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah yes, thank you for providing the interviews given that within the past page or so the Cracked team on the ground found the exact opposite of what you just said.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

DarkCrawler posted:

Now acknowledging that something exists and that countries have been following it for years is obsessing with it. OK.

No, I'm making fun of the fact that anyone who has even cursory peeked at this thread knows your stance is law, international law, European law and possibly treaty. It's just that about every other post you make is amusing to read, because you keep repeating these words, over and over, like a mystic repeats a mantra that let's him fall into a deep state of meditation.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Ligur posted:

No, I'm making fun of the fact that anyone who has even cursory peeked at this thread knows your stance is law, international law, European law and possibly treaty. It's just that about every other post you make is amusing to read, because you keep repeating these words, over and over, like a mystic repeats a mantra that let's him fall into a deep state of meditation.

Haha yeah, insisting that countries follow the laws that they themselves benefited from not two generations ago is completely like some nutty guru's monotone chanting. I can even see it when I close my eyes... "Ommmm shakti you should practice what you preach, ommmm shakti laws exist to preserve ordered society..." Haha, what a loon, you sure showed him!

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

murphyslaw posted:

Haha yeah, insisting that countries follow the laws that they themselves benefited from not two generations ago is completely like some nutty guru's monotone chanting. I can even see it when I close my eyes... "Ommmm shakti you should practice what you preach, ommmm shakti laws exist to preserve ordered society..." Haha, what a loon, you sure showed him!

Maybe the countries should then actually honor those laws?

Sweden is busy masturbating about what a shining example of tolerance and welcoming they are and then bussing the immigrants arriving there to finnish border. Guess there's small print in Dublin agreement that they can shove the incoming saracen into other Nordic countries when they realized that they got way over their head?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Puistokemisti posted:

Sweden is busy masturbating about what a shining example of tolerance and welcoming they are and then bussing the immigrants arriving there to finnish border. Guess there's small print in Dublin agreement that they can shove the incoming saracen into other Nordic countries when they realized that they got way over their head?

Okay so just to be clear, your criticism of European countries here is they're not living up to humanitarian ideals and caring for refugees who arrive at their doorstep but are trying to foist them off as somebody else's problem, yes?

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Puistokemisti posted:

Hey, Swedish hypocrisy, where it exists, is absolutely a topic for discussion here, as is Hungarian hypocrisy or Norwegian hypocrisy or hypocrisy from anywhere else, though I applaud their commitment to human decency on the surface.

Also, "saracens," lol, oh you card, &c.

E: blackamoor is a good name for people of, shall we say, a darker hue. you should use that word a lot. Everyone will applaud you for your erudite vocabulary.

murphyslaw fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 22, 2015

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

VitalSigns posted:

Okay so just to be clear, your criticism of European countries here is they're not living up to humanitarian ideals and caring for refugees who arrive at their doorstep but are trying to foist them off as somebody else's problem, yes?

My criticism is about Sweden's government abusing their monopolies to steal jobs from honest human traffickers. Yet another example of out of control government destroying private entrepreneurship.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tesseraction posted:

Ah yes, thank you for providing the interviews given that within the past page or so the Cracked team on the ground found the exact opposite of what you just said.

I'm sympathetic to refugees but Cracked isn't a source.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ligur posted:

So now its back to insults.

Just because you don't have an argument against it that isn't based on ignorance, entitlement and hypocrisy doesn't mean it's wrong. I'm going to repeat it until you or anyone else can actually provide me with one :)

EDIT: Arguments based on childlike hyperbolic hysteria aren't valid either I'm sorry

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 22, 2015

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Absolutely based Hungary lays down some wise words for the rest of Europe:

http://www.kormany.hu/en/the-prime-minister/the-prime-minister-s-speeches/viktor-orban-s-speech-at-the-14th-kotcse-civil-picnic

Viktor Orbán posted:

I think that the phenomenon I’ve just described is no more or less than identity crisis. This seems to be bad news, but it is the first good identity crisis I’ve ever seen. Earlier we have talked about identity crises among ourselves: the Christian identity crisis, or the national identity crisis. But now, Ladies and Gentlemen, we are witnessing the liberal identity crisis. Viewed from the right perspective, the whole issue of asylum and mass migration, the whole problem of economic migration is nothing more than the identity crisis of liberalism. I'll try to broadly summarize what it consists of. People in general – not only Europeans, but definitely Europeans – want to see themselves as good; but people can define “good” in a wide variety of ways. Liberals also want to see themselves as good. They also have an idea of ​​what it means to be a good person. And liberals can only live with themselves if they see themselves as good people. However, the liberal notion of what is “good”, as I described earlier, only exists at the level of phenomena: freedom of movement, universal human rights, and so on. Now this is producing disastrous consequences. But the particular quality of liberals is that while they want to be good people, they do not want to see their levels of welfare spending and standards of living falling; and so a crisis develops. This is the truly great challenge facing liberalism today: how to see themselves as good people according to their own principles, and at the same time how to protect the standard of living which they have achieved so far.

I am convinced that it is no longer possible in Europe to both see ourselves as good in the liberal sense and to live in prosperity. I might say that the most dangerous combination known in history is to be both rich and weak. There is no combination more dangerous than this. It is only a matter of time before someone comes along, notices your weakness, and takes what you have. This will definitely happen if you are unable to defend yourself. The liberal philosophy is a result of a Europe which is weak and which also wants to protect its wealth; but if Europe is weak, it cannot protect this wealth.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

The Red Cross says something else (that maybe one on 20 refugees has some workable knowledge of English, and that speakers of Urdu Pashto and other languages are urgently needed to close the growing communication gap).

Cracked is an authoritative source on exactly zero topics ever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Please ignore that we are basically facists and overflowing with racism. Thanks!"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Report from the Germanic front lines:

Saw a lot of people that looked like refugees everywhere. Some small interactions here and there with them, most speak English to some degree. I was NOT raped, in fact, no one I know was!

Today I feel a slight increase in sympathy for the Islamic faith. I must say, it has much more consistency and logic to it than Christianity. The Bible seems like a random collection of rants and random thoughts in comparison to the Quran. I read some verses yesterday and it's really beautiful and we'll written. I think I'm gonna order a Quran from amazon and read it.

quote:

"What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured.”

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I have a crazy idea!

How about Saudi Arabia takes three million Syrian refugees and houses them in their air-conditioned and teflon coated fibre glass tents after the Hajj is over?

Same language, similar culture and religion! Should be easy for a petro state!

waitwhatno posted:

I think I'm gonna order a Quran from amazon and read it.

Don't forget to also pick up a copy of the Sira and Hadith to truly understand Islam. The Koran alone is not enough.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

waitwhatno posted:

"What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured.”

That's from Conan the Barbarian you poseur.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

The Red Cross says something else (that maybe one on 20 refugees has some workable knowledge of English, and that speakers of Urdu Pashto and other languages are urgently needed to close the growing communication gap).

News reports from border are also saying that finnish police is having lots of trouble getting the refugees to understand that they need to register if they want to continue further. The few refugees that speak english are acting as translators. So even if they are highly trained, chances are they won't be contributing much to local economy since they don't speak any local language.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Narciss posted:

You're right, it's taken from this scene, word for word:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

... oh

(on the off chance you took him seriously/he was being serious, you can read the quote here, it's no. 4: http://www.islam-usa.com/index.php?...cles&Itemid=145)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Riso posted:

I have a crazy idea!

How about Saudi Arabia takes three million Syrian refugees and houses them in their air-conditioned and teflon coated fibre glass tents after the Hajj is over?

There is a reason they don't want to go the Saudi Arabia or Qatar. Probably something to do with their really lovely human rights conditions.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Narciss posted:

It's a quote from Genghis Khan.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

SedanChair posted:

It's a quote from Genghis Khan.

Thanks, I've never actually seen the movie so I didn't know who said it.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Narciss posted:

Hey genius, the Conan character is based on Mohammad.( Or the other way around, can't remember now.)

Riso posted:

I have a crazy idea!

Ok, you go and get the Saudis to sign off on that. Godspeed!

Now that I think about it, the ideal solution would be if aliens just took care of the whole refugee situation. That would be optimally best.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Riso posted:

I have a crazy idea!

Excellent idea. All the Gulf States could easily house pretty much all the Syrian refugees if they wanted, considering their vast amount of wealth and need for a constant low-paid workforce that numbers in dozens of millions.

The reason they don't do this because they're xenophobic monarchist kleptocrats, who don't adhere to pretty much any human rights agreements or laws, and realize that it's a lot harder to deny citizenship to fellow Arabs then it is to Indians or Bangladeshis. Since there are no actual means to force anyone to accept refugees, we, the countries who pretty much founded and have constantly preached about human rights (except Eastern Europe) for the past 70 loving years shouldn't stoop to the level of such luminaries like Saudi-Arabia or Qatar.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 22, 2015

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tezzor posted:

I'm sympathetic to refugees but Cracked isn't a source.

steinrokkan posted:

I appreciate it's hardly a peer-reviewed research but given that the person I was replying to posted literally no source, I'd be more likely to believe the anecdote from people on the ground of the refugee camps than, say, a dude who randomly claims the refugees are uneducated. Anecdotal evidence doesn't trump empirical evidence, but it certainly trumps armchair analysis.

And that Red Cross bit, while believable, is disingenuous. These people are coming from Syria, Afghanistan and other places, not loving Cornwall; they're educated in the language of the land they're coming from. This does not preclude them from learning English, merely that they didn't learn English where they lived. Which is fine as most of them never intended to leave where they lived until their town became 80% debris and 10% corpse. Some of those fleeing are people like doctors and scientists. Do you really think the people who've managed to get this far are flea-ridden homeless bums who mooched off the local generosity until now?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I think the shift into the refugee crisis becoming a major issue is in part driven by European liberals no longer being primarily concerned about their own standard of living, given the support for initiatives like the one in the UK, in which people are signing up their spare bedrooms as available for refugees. There may be hardships associated with an increase in refugees, but they are negligible in the long term and irrelevant when put in context with the level of suffering that these refugees have to put up with in the absence of an attempt at resettlement. Anyone trying to balance helping refugees with maintaining their own standard of living, while refusing to accept any measure that drops that latter below 100% is wrong.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

There is a reason they don't want to go the Saudi Arabia or Qatar. Probably something to do with their really lovely human rights conditions.

Yeah, I seem to remember a few stories about migrants just having their passports taken away and being used as de-facto slave labour. There's also a giant desert in the way, which means actually getting there in the first place would be very difficult and dangerous, and pretty much impossible on foot.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

Excellent idea. All the Gulf States could easily house pretty much all the Syrian refugees if they wanted, considering their vast amount of wealth and need for a constant low-paid workforce that numbers in dozens of millions.

The reason they don't do this because they're xenophobic monarchist kleptocrats, who don't adhere to pretty much any human rights agreements or laws, and realize that it's a lot harder to deny citizenship to fellow Arabs then it is to Indians or Bangladeshis. Since there are no actual means to force anyone to accept refugees, we, the countries who pretty much founded and have constantly preached about human rights (except Eastern Europe) for the past 70 loving years shouldn't stoop to the level of such luminaries like Saudi-Arabia or Qatar.

Saudi Arabia has over 500k refugees, so if you're not in Germany, you've got a climb ahead of you to stoop to their level.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Riso posted:

Same language, similar culture and religion!

You are joking about this, right?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Quick question, how many times a week do you read John Galt's speech and shed a single tear?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Volkerball posted:

Saudi Arabia has over 500k refugees, so if you're not in Germany, you've got a climb ahead of you to stoop to their level.

Huh. I'm having hard time finding sources for that. Apparently they also aren't signatories to the refugee laws.

At least they aren't hypocrites, even if morally they're absolutely responsible for refugees, having been funding countless Syrian armed groups who all aren't exactly prone to avoiding civilian casualties.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tesseraction posted:

Some of those fleeing are people like doctors and scientists. Do you really think the people who've managed to get this far are flea-ridden homeless bums who mooched off the local generosity until now?

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/fluechtlinge-integration-101.html

Andrea Nahles "The Syrian physician is not the normal case."

15-20% complete illiterates, 2/3 unfinished job education, 13% higher education, 45% moochers on welfare.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Tesseraction posted:

Some of those fleeing are people like doctors and scientists. Do you really think the people who've managed to get this far are flea-ridden homeless bums who mooched off the local generosity until now?

Now that's an interesting dichotomy to draw...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

Huh. I'm having hard time finding sources for that. Apparently they also aren't signatories to the refugee laws.

At least they aren't hypocrites, even if morally they're absolutely responsible for refugees, having been funding countless Syrian armed groups who all aren't exactly prone to avoiding civilian casualties.

They don't have a designated refugee status, so the refugees are declared "visitors." What matters is that there's 500,000 Syrians in KSA that wouldn't be if there was no war.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

How does studying to become doctor/scientist help you travel across Europe since they apparently didn't study english.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Riso posted:

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/fluechtlinge-integration-101.html

Andrea Nahles "The Syrian physician is not the normal case."

15-20% complete illiterates, 2/3 unfinished job education, 13% higher education, 45% moochers on welfare.

Translation for everyone else:

- Numbers are from a small unrepresentative sample, not a serious study

- this number includes all asylum seeker, including the Yugoslavian and sub-sahara Africans. both groups will not get asylum and are totally irrelevant to the conversation

- lol, more asylum seeker have university degrees than native Germans

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
A good third of the Syrian refugees registered at the employment services in Sweden as of sometime this summer (I forget exactly when) had at least some university education (cut-off was 2 years, I think). Well above other refugee groups.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Riso posted:

Now see I know enough German to actually look at this, and that's very misleading, it cites a study by the IAB but makes absolutely no suggestion that it's about Syrians, and given that it doesn't even mention a time frame of which the study was conducted they could have done it at the height of the financial crisis for all we know (e:it's from 2010-2014 with 2013/2014 hotspots and has no breakdown by nationality for those values.)

Now, you quoted two bits of the article out of order and selectively quoted Nahles. Yes, she says that the majority of physicians would need additional qualifications, but that's because Germany has stringent regulation and they do not have the regulation-required qualifications. She does also admit that some would need additional training.

Don't be dishonest.

Puistokemisti posted:

How does studying to become doctor/scientist help you travel across Europe since they apparently didn't study english.

It gives you money, the thing people like you seem to be scared they're going to coming over and stealing from hard-working Europeans.

kalven
Feb 17, 2006
I haven't heard much about the refugees Sweden move to Finland in the papers here. Does anyone have a good source about that? Not in finnish please because I cant read that.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

kalven posted:

I haven't heard much about the refugees Sweden move to Finland in the papers here. Does anyone have a good source about that? Not in finnish please because I cant read that.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/more_migrants_on_friday_than_in_nearly_a_century/8317074

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

It gives you money, the thing people like you seem to be scared they're going to coming over and stealing from hard-working Europeans.

Considering that Finland gets very few Syrian refugees, irrelevant. Our 'refugees' consist mostly of Iraqis who have heard promises about easy livin' in Finland, are mostly unemployed and do not integrate into society, some of which are starting to voluntary go back to Iraq on basis that Finland has no jobs and will not have jobs any time soon because our major industries were gutted, there's no apartments unless you are willing to live so far in bönde that even lapish reindeer fuckers would think twice and government is doing it's best to prevent any class mobility.

But I can already see Sipilä's throbbing erection as he borrows notes from Germany and introduces 'work integration' plan where refugees work for 1 euro per hour and he finally gets to destroy those pesky unions once and for all.

• Locked thread