Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Agreed. The new Segura one was good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Seltzer posted:

The Jay Leno episode was actually quite good. I was expecting Joe to be overly reverent and for them to talk about cars the majority of the time but neither of those things happened. It ended up being a pretty cool comedy history lesson (well beyond "Let me tell you about Boston comedy in the 80s") and it was a short easy listen (1hr 30 mins). I'd recommend it to anyone else who was skeptical like me.

My only complaint was that Joe kept trying to get Jay to dish out dirt on Sam Kinison when it was apparent that Jay didn't want say too much. On the other hand, Jay is the one who first brought up Kinison not being such a good guy, but Joe kept bringing it up. Granted, Joe has stated many times that Kinison is one of his favorite comedians, but still.

It was a good episode though, and I definitely recommend it.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Jay Leno's stand up is what it is, but he is a good interview and I don't actually mind listening to him. Odd dude, but interesting.

toggle fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 9, 2015

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I would prefer joe did more 1-2 hour eps.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Guessing Joe didn't ask anything about Conan or Letterman

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
They mentioned letterman briefly, but didn't touch Jay leaving and then taking the show back.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
So Joe Rogan harassed Neil Degrasse Tyson for an entire hour about the moon landing, but didn't ask a single question about Conan.

e: Jay Leno is a piece of garbage

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 9, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Did Joe bring up the time that Jay hid in an NBC executive's closet to spy on a meeting?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Keg posted:

Did Joe bring up the time that Jay hid in an NBC executive's closet to spy on a meeting?

Lol what?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

You need to read the Late Shift. It's all about how Leno backdoored his way into Carson's chair.

quote:

On the night of January 6, 1992, in a feat of corporate espionage chronicled in Bill Carter’s book on the late-night wars, The Late Shift, Leno hid in a closet-like office beneath his Burbank studio to listen in on a conference call taking place among NBC executives. They were discussing who should follow Johnny Carson as host of The Tonight Show—Leno or David Letterman. While they argued, Leno took notes “on what people thought of him and his show,” Carter reported. “Best of all he knew exactly who was for him and who was against him.”

Seriously. Read the book. It's excellent.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 16, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
The Jay Leno episode was pretty good, but Jay came off as such an odd, manipulative poo poo whose attempts at being a human seem really hollow and fake. He's Hollywood incarnate.

Keg fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 16, 2015

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I think that social awkwardness you are reading comes more from "possibly autistic car guy" than "soulless Hollywood shark", but I could be wrong.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Jay is a real human being, with feelings and emotions and a thought process. Sadly, they all combine to lead him into being a giant piece of poo poo.

e: like seriously, he never loving talked to Conan after he killed his show

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He also made a backhanded comment about Conan's tenure when he was mentioning the previous hosts. Something to the affect of, "Steve Allen left the show at number one, Jack Paar left the show at number one, Carson left at number one, I left at number one..."

I shut it off after that.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Its true, though. Jay didn't want to leave, Conan asked for his job, Jay played the company man, Conan failed in the timeslot, Jay got his job back and was number 1 again.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Who cares?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Law Cheetah posted:

Its true, though. Jay didn't want to leave, Conan asked for his job, Jay played the company man, Conan failed in the timeslot, Jay got his job back and was number 1 again.

NBC wanted to keep Conan because he was super hot in the early 2000s, but he wanted the Tonight Show or else he was going elsewhere. They gave it to him but he had to wait years until it was his, presuming Leno would want to retire by then. Leno did not want to retire, and was going to leave for another network. NBC decided to have its cake and eat it too, and convinced Leno to stay with a 10pm time slot talk show. The show was an absolute ratings disaster, and completely killed Conan as a lead in. Leno's ratings were poorer than the Tonight Show, but he is Leno and was proven, plus they both had guarantees in their contract. NBC decided it was best to move Leno to 11:30 for a half hour show, and put the Tonight Show at midnight. Conan did not want to tarnish the legacy of the show, so he declined doing that.

Leno could've just bowed out and rode into the sunset, but one of them had to go. Leno refused and they decided to sack Conan, for what I think was around $30 million. The only thing this led to was NBC looking like a bigger joke than previously thought, and owing Conan tens of millions of dollars. Jeff Zucker is a truly awful businessman.

e: added more detail

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 16, 2015

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

you couldn't pay me to wear that i be getting lucrative shirt, i think aubrey had a hand in it like those fingernails

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What's the finger nails joke? But holy poo poo the Dr on the new podcast was unbearable, only made it about ten minutes.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
eddie bravo sold and marketed fingernail polish for men called "Alpha Nail" this isn't a joke I'm not clever enough

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Nah Aubrey Marcus invented it. Eddie Bravo made fun of it at some point. Eddie Bravo is stupid, but not that stupid.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

always be closing posted:

What's the finger nails joke? But holy poo poo the Dr on the new podcast was unbearable, only made it about ten minutes.

Carl Hart was unbearable?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Omglosser posted:

Carl Hart was unbearable?

The beginning was, talking about the acetaminophen in Rx painkillers, I gave up early admittedly.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

The beginning was, talking about the acetaminophen in Rx painkillers, I gave up early admittedly.

Yeah that part was a bit sketchy, him saying rx companies put acetaminophen in there in order to "blow out your liver" sounded to me like a nutty conspiracy. If he worded it differently, like, they put it in there to discourage abuse, then that wouldn't have sounded so crazy. He made a good point, though, it's loving Tylenol, if the patients want it they can take it at the same time.

He seems a little naive about the physiological aspects of drug use too, for example when he tried telling Joe effing Rogan that contact highs aren't real.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Seltzer posted:

Nah Aubrey Marcus invented it. Eddie Bravo made fun of it at some point. Eddie Bravo is stupid, but not that stupid.

I think you are right but I also think that you will find upon reflection that Eddie "Chemtrails" Bravo is pretty loving stupid. I love him though.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Everyone needs to listen to the Cowboy episode.

It's fantastic.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Calling a product "alpha nails" :laffo: Always makes me laugh.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

Viper_3000 posted:

Everyone needs to listen to the Cowboy episode.

It's fantastic.

I can confirm that this is the case. There's an easygoing straightforwardness about the dude, which is refreshing.

Boat fights. MMA talk. Ari Sheffield. Beer. Good episode.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Laughing my balls off at this @nero episode. How did he get this guy on?

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

compare him to the squirrely bitcoin nerd and to the squaking RT cheerleader

like is it a good one to drink to?

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

DJ BK posted:

compare him to the squirrely bitcoin nerd and to the squaking RT cheerleader

like is it a good one to drink to?

No it's infuriating in a hilarious way. I guess you could drink to it. I laughed.

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011
After looking at his Twitter, this is going to be worse than Schiff, I don't know if I can do it

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

I just listened to the Christopher Ryan episode...There was a part where Joe said something about how his friend was tripping on mushrooms and his friend asked the mushrooms how humans can keep from overpopulating the Earth, and the mushrooms told him that if each couple only had one baby, they could prevent overpopulation. WHOA MUSHROOMS CAN DO BASIC MATH wow that is fascinating

Looking forward to the Milo Yiannopoulos episode!

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

4 hours of Honey Honey, 3 hours of conservative Breitbart Gamergate man, and 2h18m of exclusively Brian Redban.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Da week dat was.

The @nero was the best.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Fingers crossed tomorrow we get some guests to discuss coffee bean microtoxins, EDM and bitcoins.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
I disagree with much of what Milo Yiannopoulos said, but man was that an entertaining episode. It's been a while since I've seen Joe get wound up so much, and I don't think he liked not being the loudest, most opinionated guy in the room. When they got to talking about religion and Milo's sexuality, things got pretty heated. Good episode.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I liked what Milo was saying about victimhood as the strongest currency. And about bearded male feminists.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

I liked what Milo was saying about victimhood as the strongest currency.

That sounds stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Yeah Twitter is a weird place.