Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Having now both a Nokia and a Microsoft phone (925 and 640XL), I can appreciate the differences in design. While my 925 looks awesome and feels amazing on the hand, looking amazing and with that nice camera button, the loving aluminium frame was kind of slippery so I had to slap a case on it losing part of its aesthetic. My 640XL was slippery with the glossy white back but once my spare battery covers arrived (Black, blue and Orange, all matte) the grip is fantastic and despite having a more generic design, I tell you that the huge MICROSOFT logo at the back and the colors (I love the blue one) makes it stand out. No one can argue that the 925 feels more "premium" or solid than the 640XL but I can tell you after owned a Galaxy S4, that the plastic and general feeling of the 640XL is superior to the samsung but the screen. Samsung knows how to make gorgeous screens and after having OLED screens since 2010 (Galaxy S, S4 and Lumia 925) I know that I like them more than IPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Despite all its flaws and the app gap I have a much better user experience on Windows. If the 940 comes out and the Microsoft apps are still lagging behind their iOS counterparts I'll switch because it'll be clear that they care about their product less than I do.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Whelp. Bye bye Zune Music Pass and free 10 tracks per month download. :smith:
http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-sunset-zune-music-pass-subscriptions-november-15

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Shumagorath posted:

Despite all its flaws and the app gap I have a much better user experience on Windows. If the 940 comes out and the Microsoft apps are still lagging behind their iOS counterparts I'll switch because it'll be clear that they care about their product less than I do.

For what it's worth, Microsoft appears to care far more about the iOS versions of Microsoft apps than the Windows phone ones.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What are the Windows apps missing that iOS isn't? I was going to see for myself, but my 4S is showing absolutely nothing when I go into the store, so I can't.

There's a new build on the fast ring and it is a big improvement - noticeably faster, with major bugs fixed like quiet hours, mobile hotspot, the lock screen delay and the refresh issue that Edge had when your tried to use drop down lists.

Just be sure to restart once it's done the initial upgrade, as it doesn't seem to finish upgrading until you do.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 16, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

The Lord Bude posted:

Whelp, It's been nice hanging out in this thread for the past two years, but the windows phone experiment is over for me. I dropped my $1379 on an iphone 6S plus yesterday, and it will be arriving on the 25th. Those of you who've moved from windows to iphone, is there anything special I need to know about migrating? All my contacts and calendar stuff is synced through my microsoft account. Is anyone bothering to use outlook on their iphones vs the stock mail app?

I just moved to a 6 Plus from a 920 and, honestly, I'm loving it.

The only thing I was missing from my WP was my Music Pass and background YouTube audio. The Groove music app is pretty anemic, but you can download offline copies of your xbox music library and stream poo poo, so it's a win for me. I use the stock mail app and it's just fine and dandy.

Now I get to iMessage and FaceTime people and get HD videos and pictures texted to me, instead of downconverted poo poo and trying to convince people to install Skype.

I'm a little upset at how much more I'm liking the iPhone over my WP.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Windows Phone - I <3 My iPhone

I'm sitting in a lobby right now, gettting ready to go to Paris for VLC Dev Days. I'm going to meet up with the other two VLC for Windows/Windows Phone 8.1/10 app developers.

I think we all use iPhones as our daily drivers.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

For what it's worth, Microsoft appears to care far more about the iOS versions of Microsoft apps than the Windows phone ones.

Of course. If Microsoft wants people to use their services, they should prioritize platforms with an appreciable number of users.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

Of course. If Microsoft wants people to use their services, they should prioritize platforms with an appreciable number of users.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/11/apple-maps-google-iphone-users'

A Key Quote from above posted:

ComScore's data suggests though that comparatively few iPhone owners actually take the trouble to use Google's maps rather than Apple's - in part because Apple's maps are the default for any driving directions or map-related search on iOS 6 and above

I offer apple maps as a argument against that. Controlling the platform makes it easier to get people to use your objectively inferior services (apples maps may have improved but at the time, It was immeasurably bad and clearly worse than google maps)

If Microsoft ignores their platform in favor of others, they place themselves in a precarious position of winning and keeping users on another companies platforms. Particuarly since at least one of those companies if not both have or will have competing services in nearly every aspect.

Using services as a way to get people on the windows phone platform seems to me like the no-brained solution. Offer your services on all platforms but for gods sake, make them better not worse on your own.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Edward IV posted:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-sunset-zune-music-pass-subscriptions-november-15

:smith: indeed.

Now I'll have to figure out how to make the dumb phone music app work, I guess. Does anyone here use Groove and can you report whether the selection is comparable? And is there any info about whether or not the podcast stuff in the Zune software will keep working? Does that require continuous Microsoft support?

Also, is there a way to link folders to OneDrive without putting them in the main OneDrive folder? My OneDrive folder is on my main SSD, but I have my music on a large HDD. I want to put my music online, but don't want to take up the space on my SSD.

Anonononomous fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 17, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Anonononomous posted:

:smith: indeed.

Now I'll have to figure out how to make the dumb phone music app work, I guess. Does anyone here use Groove and can you report whether the selection is comparable? And is there any info about whether or not the podcast stuff in the Zune software will keep working? Does that require continuous Microsoft support?

Also, is there a way to link folders to OneDrive without putting them in the main OneDrive folder? My OneDrive folder is on my main SSD, but I have my music on a large HDD. I want to put my music online, but don't want to take up the space on my SSD.
You can either choose not to sync certain folders, or use symlinks. On my phone right now, but there's a nice utility that makes setting up symlinks fairly was with Windows Explorer.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I've arrived in Paris and so far I've seen more Windows Phones in people's hands than I've ever seen in Boston in the year or so I've been here.

Now, of course, they are lower end models (think 520) but still, it's more then I expected.

However, there are even more busted screen iPhones. But that's the case everywhere.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Same went for me in London. As I understand it the US is WP's weakest market.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Fyi, the latest build is giving me pretty severe battery drain and the phone is running a bit warmer than usual. Everything else is great, but keep a charger on hand.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
I decided to upgrade my phone to Windows 10 earlier today. :v:

I can't seem to open the Start menu at all. I can launch the Settings screen via Action Centre, and other apps via Cortana, but Start just displays Loading... and crashes back to the previous app.

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Thinking about finally moving into the Windows 10 Phone Insider world. Will my WP8 apps stick around after the upgrade?

.Tim
Jul 3, 2004

General E posted:

Thinking about finally moving into the Windows 10 Phone Insider world. Will my WP8 apps stick around after the upgrade?

Most of mine did but I'd usually have one or two apps that the name showed like a registry entry instead of the app name and the icon was missing. But I'd reinstall it and all would be good.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I no longer appear to have a Netflix app, but otherwise I seem to have kept my apps.

Edit: Nope, tell a lie, Netflix is right there. So no, none of my apps are unavailable as far as I can see.

Venusy posted:

I can't seem to open the Start menu at all. I can launch the Settings screen via Action Centre, and other apps via Cortana, but Start just displays Loading... and crashes back to the previous app.

Try a soft reset by holding power and vol. down. Otherwise you may be stuck with a hard reset.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 17, 2015

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What are the Windows apps missing that iOS isn't? I was going to see for myself, but my 4S is showing absolutely nothing when I go into the store, so I can't.

Banks and airlines are a big one for a lot of people. Also, a lot of the apps that WP does have are usually inferior compared to their iOS and Android counterparts and feel mostly like a token gesture by the developer.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

ljw1004 posted:

Long-running background audio via XAudio is officially "not a supported scenario". Nor via AudioGraph (the WinRT projection). The only supported way to do background audio for UWP apps is as shown in the official sample: https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/BackgroundAudio

PS. The guy on the background-audio team asked me "why are you using XAudio for audio playback – background or otherwise. Is there some functionality that isn’t offered by the MediaPlayer API that they want to use XAudio for?"

If any of you background-audio-playing folks want me to pass any answers back to him, let me know. Or if you'd like to be put in email contact with him, PM me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

LifeSizePotato posted:

Banks and airlines are a big one for a lot of people. Also, a lot of the apps that WP does have are usually inferior compared to their iOS and Android counterparts and feel mostly like a token gesture by the developer.

No no, I mean what are Microsoft's apps missing on WP that they aren't in iOS, namely the Office apps? Sorry, I should have been clearer. :P

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Edward IV posted:

When I cancelled my zune pass a year ago, I knew that one day they would throw out the 10 credits and my amazon prime account already enabled me to stream/download music. Microsoft continues to find new ways to ensure that I don't give them any more of my money. Also, microsoft's unwillingness to enable gapless playback on their music apps despite the fact that it is the most requested feature on the uservoice page shows that Microsoft simply does not give a poo poo about providing a top of the line music experience on their software platforms.

G-III fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 17, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

LifeSizePotato posted:

This is one of my biggest complaints. I realize Windows Phone has a tiny market share in the US, but it has a very real market share outside of the US, and even given small market share it doesn't make sense. If I went to a bank and said, "I can increase the number of customers you reach by 2.5% for a mere $500,000," they'd fall over themselves throwing money at me. But the thought of spending $500,000 to build an app on a platform used by 2.5% of the US population is somehow anathema to them.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

You can either choose not to sync certain folders, or use symlinks. On my phone right now, but there's a nice utility that makes setting up symlinks fairly was with Windows Explorer.

Is there any good place for instructions on this? I don't know what I'm doing regarding symlinks and my searches have not found great results.

I tried just manually putting stuff in the cloud OneDrive music folder, but then it synced then back to my SSD, so I had 2 local copies and was wasting limited space.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

This is a decent tutorial on symbolic links.

Hardlink Shell Extension is what I use. The original page seems to be down, though this page seems to be a clone of it.

There are other utilities out there as well, such as SymLinker, so it may be worth poking around a little bit.

I've actually found these to be very helpful, such as having music libraries splits between a couple drives (a smaller SSD and a larger HDD), or splitting a Steam install. (Steam can split its own install, but with symlinks I can "install" everything on C:\ and move games back and forth depending on what I'm playing at the moment.)

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Anonononomous posted:

Is there any good place for instructions on this? I don't know what I'm doing regarding symlinks and my searches have not found great results.

I tried just manually putting stuff in the cloud OneDrive music folder, but then it synced then back to my SSD, so I had 2 local copies and was wasting limited space.

code:
mklink /?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Anyone know why durable IAP isn't restoring for an app after upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile? App isn't letting me re-buy. Not sure how to diagnose.

ljw1004 posted:

If any of you background-audio-playing folks want me to pass any answers back to him, let me know. Or if you'd like to be put in email contact with him, PM me.

Yes Hello background audio playing folk here, with a question: occasionally but not always reproducibly the music stops when the screen turns off or the app switches out and isn't focused. This behavior doesn't seem to correlate with # of running apps, time since last reboot, or memory pressure. It doesn't ever seem to occur in the emulator or while debugging is attached. My implementation of the IBackgroundTask is very similar to the example code. The task instance's cancel event is fired with a cancellation reason of "SystemPolicy" (thats the one with about 0 hits on google). Currently I don't believe it's due to going overbudget on background task resources because I'm not doing a lot besides handing a uri into BackgroundMediaPlayer.Current.SetUriSource (if this was happening, not sure how I could observe it). This is a Windows Runtime app targeting WP8.1. Please advise.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's been another update for the Windows 10 preview and it seems to have fixed my battery drain issue, which is nice. The whole thing is feeling pretty complete now; who knows, we might not be too far off release!

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's been another update for the Windows 10 preview and it seems to have fixed my battery drain issue, which is nice. The whole thing is feeling pretty complete now; who knows, we might not be too far off release!

October 6th announcement for new phones, rumored release date at the end of October or early November.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Venusy posted:

Figured it out: the micro SD in my phone is a bit dodgy (gives the "do you want to scan your SD card?" message every time the phone is booted up), and the background I had on Start was on the micro SD. Turned tile background off, restarted phone, Start worked, moved wallpapers folder to the phone itself and reapplied background.

Is there a trick to getting the Messaging Skype Beta to not crash nearly immediately? It's fine if I go into a contact page and select the option there to send them an SMS, but if I click on a big Skype group chat or leave it on the list of conversations, it crashes within a few seconds.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Is anyone using Skype for Business on the Windows 10 preview? If so, does it work? I'm used to using it on Windows Phone 8.1, where it either takes 3 minutes to open a conversation, or just hangs forever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ljw1004 posted:

Personally no, but I can imagine that the likes of Spotify and such want to have full control of decoding and playback, with what custom DRM and such.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Word is that the 950 and 950XL will release with a prerelease version of W10M.

--edit: I'm just running the update to the latest preview build and my 930 isn't searing hot for a change. That's new.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 19, 2015

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Word is that the 950 and 950XL will release with a prerelease version of W10M.

That's what they did with WP 8.1 as well, the first 8.1 phone (Lumia 630) shipped with OS version 8.10.12359.845, whereas people running the insider preview at the time were on OS version 8.10.12393.890.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why the app store UI is still that laggy on the latest build is beyond me.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Got a weird problem with the Health App, Motion Data, and the Band.

The Health App has a Motion Settings 'setting' that says if you turn it on, it'll use the phone's sensor core motion data to track your steps or whatever when you're not wearing your Band.

When I turn it on, all non-builtin notification sources stop working. So I'll get SMS, Cortana, Calendar, phone call alerts. But I won't get Facebook Messenger, Twitter, or other app notifications. Anyone else ever see this?

Phone: Lumia 640 on latest official OS, Band FW: 10.3.3304.0 09 R

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've turned the motion tracking on (since I don't have a Band) but half the features are still telling me that I need one, like tracking a run or monitoring sleep. Is there anything I can do to enable those?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I tried the last preview on my 925 and was basically unusable even after a factory reset. The app store was unusable and couldn't update even the preinstalled apps and I had to roll back to 8.1. At least the test wasn't on my daily driver.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Not sure if the "leak" is true but a Spanish site apparently shows the 950 at ~$735 and the XL at ~$835. Granted, that would include the high European taxes built in, but that's near iPhone level pricing.

Not sure if i could pay more than $500 for even a flagship Windows phone. The prices may include accessories such as the dock, etc but still.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Edward IV posted:

I have literally been subscribed since the beginning, this might be the straw that broke the camels back and I move on to android phones. Between how they handled the Xbox One and now this, it's like they don't want my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Zarfol posted:

Not sure if the "leak" is true but a Spanish site apparently shows the 950 at ~$735 and the XL at ~$835. Granted, that would include the high European taxes built in, but that's near iPhone level pricing.

Not sure if i could pay more than $500 for even a flagship Windows phone. The prices may include accessories such as the dock, etc but still.

I saw some site saying the price was high because it comes with a Continuum set up and a qi charger.