Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

$10k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I just bought this.

2001 C200, auto, fantastic condition inside and out aside from a few bits of rust on the bonnet and tailgate, and since it's going to be a bit of a beater anyway, that's of no issue to me as long as it's not structural. I've skimmed the whole thread, but can anyone suggest some tips, things that are likely to go wrong soon, and things that can be improved without spending too much?

I love it so far, it's the first car I've owned with toys like cruise control etc. in it, and coming from an Abarth 500 as my last car, it's lovely to have so much space.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's a nice looking wagon. Does the C class have those funky hydraulic rear struts?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I just bought this.

2001 C200, auto, fantastic condition inside and out aside from a few bits of rust on the bonnet and tailgate, and since it's going to be a bit of a beater anyway, that's of no issue to me as long as it's not structural. I've skimmed the whole thread, but can anyone suggest some tips, things that are likely to go wrong soon, and things that can be improved without spending too much?

I love it so far, it's the first car I've owned with toys like cruise control etc. in it, and coming from an Abarth 500 as my last car, it's lovely to have so much space.

Congratulations! I love the Estate versions :)

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

What was Mercedes thinking? I just pulled the (seemingly) original window mechanism out of my 84 190D and the structural piece is plastic. I replaced it with the (seemingly) original one from a 86 190 and it is a very rigid metal mechanism.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Great! My 190e's ignition barrel has gone from "great" to "bitchy" to "stuck" over the course of a week.

I've managed to jiggle the key to position #1 (for what is probably the last time) but I can't eject the barrel.

I've been trying to follow the guides on the various Mercedes forums; i've made ejection tools out of wire, with chamfered ends but i've still no joy. Does anyone have any tips on getting the cylinder out?

meltie fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 6, 2015

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I found a way to permanently address my air suspension issues

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Hah yeah I'm starting to think owning a Mercedes is a bit like owning a boat. The best days are when you buy it and when you sell it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

meltie posted:

Great! My 190e's ignition barrel has gone from "great" to "bitchy" to "stuck" over the course of a week.

I've managed to jiggle the key to position #1 (for what is probably the last time) but I can't eject the barrel.

I've been trying to follow the guides on the various Mercedes forums; i've made ejection tools out of wire, with chamfered ends but i've still no joy. Does anyone have any tips on getting the cylinder out?

Just keep wiggling and pushing.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Dislike button posted:

I found a way to permanently address my air suspension issues

This is just what you're going to tow the E55 to the track with, from now on right? :tizzy:

Seriously though, nice truck.

Medieval Thinker
Nov 6, 2010
Has anyone had generalized electrical issues with W211 Merc's? On my 2005 E500 the electronic trunk opener stopped opening soon after I bought it last year, but no biggie, just used the physical key instead. Now the automated sunshade refuses to deploy and I realized that every time I pull on one of the window switches, the headlights dim ever so slightly. Of course all these could be individual different issues caused by owning a ten year old car that comes from the era only barely after Merc started getting their act together again after the Chrysler mistake, but if its a specific easy fix in the electrical system to resolve them all at once (such as a short/bad scondary battery) that would be a lot nicer.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah there's a very common issue with that era E that they made one of the wire looms in the trunk a little too short and it can break over time. Friend of mine had an '05 E55 with the same issues and had a local independent Mercedes shop fix the wiring and solder in longer wires in the trunk.

Edit: this is the issue and ultimate fix (although a good fix will use the nicer crimp connectors that you heat up and flow solder inside): http://youtu.be/qNtB8qZk9uM

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 9, 2015

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tremek posted:

This is just what you're going to tow the E55 to the track with, from now on right? :tizzy:

Seriously though, nice truck.

Thanks, and unfortunately I had to send the E55 to the farm to live out its days free of heatsoak and electrical issues. In a few years I'm sure I'll get a twin turbo E63 or something similar.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I seem to recall there being a guide somewhere that explained the cross-compatibility of the different Mercedes wheels. I'm thinking about getting a used set for my W124 that are somewhat taller and wider than stock, so I can fit better rubber. Does anyone recall where that thing is?

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005
Just had the 'ol girl purring at the limits of the tires.

Autobahn is as advertised, as long as its not one of these construction zones that appear for no apparent reason.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Medieval Thinker posted:

Has anyone had generalized electrical issues with W211 Merc's? On my 2005 E500 the electronic trunk opener stopped opening soon after I bought it last year, but no biggie, just used the physical key instead. Now the automated sunshade refuses to deploy and I realized that every time I pull on one of the window switches, the headlights dim ever so slightly. Of course all these could be individual different issues caused by owning a ten year old car that comes from the era only barely after Merc started getting their act together again after the Chrysler mistake, but if its a specific easy fix in the electrical system to resolve them all at once (such as a short/bad scondary battery) that would be a lot nicer.

Thinking about getting a 2004 E500 as my first car/car to learn how to wrench on. Am I brain addled?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
In a local euro group, a guy bought an 2002 s500 for $2k.

I said he better assume the position when the ABC stuff goes and also I hope he's good at electrical work.

Next post was him asking for a cheap Mercedes mechanic for help with electrical issues and air suspension problems...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Air suspension is awesome when it works... But its hell when it doesn't.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

atrus50 posted:

Thinking about getting a 2004 E500 as my first car/car to learn how to wrench on. Am I brain addled?

A Corolla or Civic is great for a first wrenching project car.

A car with parts that can sometimes cost 4 figures to replace is not.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Why anyone would consider a car that has critical electronic systems on top of the basic mechanical parts to wrench on is beyond me.

Computers and complex electronic pieces are nothing but an impending headache.

Get something from the 60s-80s, the creature comforts you likely expect in a car would be present in the late 70s into the 80s.

It will still cost a fairly noticeable sum for certain things when compared to other cars but at least there isn't some miserable computer that will gently caress up your day.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

EvilMoFo posted:

Why anyone would consider a car that has critical electronic systems on top of the basic mechanical parts to wrench on is beyond me.

Computers and complex electronic pieces are nothing but an impending headache.

Get something from the 60s-80s, the creature comforts you likely expect in a car would be present in the late 70s into the 80s.

It will still cost a fairly noticeable sum for certain things when compared to other cars but at least there isn't some miserable computer that will gently caress up your day.

A 600 Grosser would meet his needs perfectly, then.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

blk posted:

A 600 Grosser would meet his needs perfectly, then.

Ahh yeah - Jeremy Clarkson's then-wife got him one as a gift, and its first repair bill came out to £16,000.

James May posted:

What did he do, buy you a Golf?!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you want an old merc to learn how to wrench on get a w124 or w126 diesel. The only computer in the thing will be in whatever radio you install.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I can't imagine there would be much rewarding about trying to work on that vehicle.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

atrus50 posted:

Not a good car to learn auto stuff on at all. I've worked with my friend a bit on his 2005 E55 and everything is a giant pain. Just changing the oil requires removing dozens of bolts and dropping skid plates, protectors, etc. just to drain the oil. Anything electrical is going to require Mercedes' special auto tool ($$$) to talk to the computers. You want something like an old 80's 560-series W126 or R127 (but I don't think I'd trust it as a daily driver unless you got a really nice well kept one).

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
Thanks all. Ive been cured of my insanity, just gotta find a nice one of those older w123/4/5/6/7 I guess

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
If you get one of those you'll want to pick up a good set of fuel pressure gauges and a book on Bosch CIS. They're solid cars and they're fairly easy to work on. However, the fuel injection bears little resemblance to modern systems and it doesn't have any diagnostic capability built in so troubleshooting can be frustrating unless you know what to look for. And you really, really don't want one that's sat for years with old gas in the system.

Obviously this doesn't apply to the diesel models.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Putting a set of S-04s, Bilstein Sport shocks and larger OE wheels really straightened this thing's handling out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Not a good car to learn auto stuff on at all. I've worked with my friend a bit on his 2005 E55 and everything is a giant pain. Just changing the oil requires removing dozens of bolts and dropping skid plates, protectors, etc. just to drain the oil. Anything electrical is going to require Mercedes' special auto tool ($$$) to talk to the computers. You want something like an old 80's 560-series W126 or R127 (but I don't think I'd trust it as a daily driver unless you got a really nice well kept one).

I took this advice and bought a W126 560 SEL and it won't shift into third and this is all your fault.

Why won't it shift to third

also, what the gently caress do all these numbers mean? why does the gas gauge go to R.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
R=reserve

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Powershift posted:

Seems like something you should have noticed on a test drive. The hosed state of the syncros on the last 2 cars I have bought was a key sticking point in how much I was willing to pay.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
http://2354.ecarlist.com/web/ebay_photos/24109879/

Now that I have a free space in my garage I can't stop looking at these. How much of a nightmare are they to maintain as a non-DD?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I took this advice and bought a W126 560 SEL and it won't shift into third and this is all your fault.

also, what the gently caress do all these numbers mean? why does the gas gauge go to R.

hosed piston seal. Lucky for you the 722.3 is easy to rebuild.

E: also check your vacuum line to the shift modulator on the side if its also shifting like a bus. Its adjustable too, and is kind of a twat to get at without dropping the bolts on the crossmember.

Obligatory fluid status too.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 27, 2015

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dislike button posted:

http://2354.ecarlist.com/web/ebay_photos/24109879/

Now that I have a free space in my garage I can't stop looking at these. How much of a nightmare are they to maintain as a non-DD?

They're built like tanks, can run for years with no real issues. The main thing to check is how smooth the auto shifts. If it is rough, walk away.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

mod sassinator posted:

$45 gets you a vacuum oil pump that goes straight down the filler tube. I didn't drop the skid plates for anything other than a header installation the entire time I owned my 2005 E55, and I replaced the crank pulley with a bigger one, changed transmission and diff fluid, and installed an aftermarket intercooler and the headers with no special tools. I found it supremely easy to work on.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Fixed the ccu in my w126 not turning on the blower motor, turns out it was a blown fuse all along even though I swear I checked that poo poo like 3 times. AC doesn't blow cold but the heat works and it switches from heat to "cold" when I move the dial from min to max so the blend door is working at least.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

hosed piston seal. Lucky for you the 722.3 is easy to rebuild.

E: also check your vacuum line to the shift modulator on the side if its also shifting like a bus. Its adjustable too, and is kind of a twat to get at without dropping the bolts on the crossmember.

Obligatory fluid status too.

I figured you guys may want to share my pain as well, maybe have a little cry.

I bought the car at an auction for $900 with 132,000kms. everything worked but the rear drivers side power window, and obviously the trans thing which seemed like an easy fix. A/C, climate control, even the sunroof. I started cleaning it up and noticed the vin didn't match the one on my bill of sale, so i took the vin off the car and it came up as a salvage title. The auction company is giving me my money back. I don't have the space to part it out, otherwise i probably would have gone that route.

The car is dirty, and these pictures may be graphic, as at this point the car can never be registered on the road again.

http://imgur.com/a/ybIRO

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Sad, I could have used a lot of the trim pieces from the front interior

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

I figured you guys may want to share my pain as well, maybe have a little cry.

god drat, too bad its junk. That is a pretty drat clean old merc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Whats the story on the degrading wiring harness - Is it only engine bay or the entire car?