Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

flosofl posted:

Every product Symantec has managed to lay it's greasy tentacles on has turned into poo poo.

I've been dancing for joy ever since we elected to move away from SEP and onto greener pastures for client endpoints.

Managing that for 3+ years now has not been fun; i could go on for days at how lovely Symantec Endpoint Protection is. If you want any real deep dive analysis of client behavior or granular information that is easily parsed they expect you to install Altiris, for fucks sake. It's even packaged with the SEP Manager install ISO.

LUA is a horrible mechanism with no LDAP authentication that runs on Java. JAVA. A security application that runs on JAVA. Same for SEPM proper.

On top of the bullshit above they have the worst support I've ever encountered in IT, and I regularly support financial applications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Thank God people realized this.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/605466193181450240

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mimecast Twitter Feed posted:

@Mimecast
1h1 hour ago
Our backlog reduction continues on U.S. grid. There’s been no email loss. An incident report will be published this week.

I'm interested to hear what happened.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

They probably contracted out to the same team Microsoft uses to patch Sharepoint and Office 365.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

Thank God people realized this.

Cue essentially every company making their 'flat, stylish' UIs practically identical!

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

skooma512 posted:

I know right? Especially since it's healthcare and every little thing is a dire EMERGENCY :siren:.

But nah, just make skooma roll out of bed two mornings in a row behind some bullshit.

I like this! Reminds me of the Packard Bell Navigator.

I wanted to post this. My first computer was a Packard Bell with that Navigator thing when i was a kid. :shobon:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Warrior Princess posted:

I wanted to post this. My first computer was a Packard Bell with that Navigator thing when i was a kid. :shobon:

Me too. Got it during Thanksgiving break of first grade. I was initially more interested in the cardboard box until my dad showed me Encarta (I think it was, anyways). Then I was loving hooked.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

oTHi posted:

Cue essentially every company making their 'flat, stylish' UIs practically identical!

I am totally fine with that.

Cool poo poo: I'm on-call for my last week (and my birthday!) and apparently the device that sends out our ping checks to clients was flapping all last night so I woke up to 200+ alert messages I had to go through.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Our LEAD ENGINEER (he's not even an engineer) cannot use a loving computer it's embarrassing. His computer 'shuts down' when he tries to find a file on the network. He also doesn't have internet at home or a cell phone.

He has a big expensive Dell Workstation that has Solidworks and all that poo poo installed on it too.

He's a life-long buddy of the owner so he'll never leave. He also gets every Friday off. :(

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: people who don't use distribution lists. Instead of using distribution lists, which our IT department can setup a few hours after you make the request, instead keep your own list in Notepad or whatever. Then, copy and paste 800 names into an email. Who cares if those 800 people have to wait 30 seconds for Outlook to unfreeze after they select the email because they have "preview window" turned on.

tl;dr please use distribution lists, and don't use manual lists of hundreds of emails.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate when the PC Connection or CDW guy calls just to chat.

If I need something I'll give you a call.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Pissing me off: people who don't use distribution lists. Instead of using distribution lists, which our IT department can setup a few hours after you make the request, instead keep your own list in Notepad or whatever. Then, copy and paste 800 names into an email. Who cares if those 800 people have to wait 30 seconds for Outlook to unfreeze after they select the email because they have "preview window" turned on.

tl;dr please use distribution lists, and don't use manual lists of hundreds of emails.

Old AS/400 guy did that, and half the people on the list didn't even work here anymore and 2 of them were dead.

HR was pissed. We joked that he hasn't sent out an email to a bunch of people in 7 years or whatever.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

I hate when the PC Connection or CDW guy calls just to chat.

If I need something I'll give you a call.

That doesn't bother me that much. I get that its something they are made to do. What bothers me is that when I call they don't answer or respond to email when I want to buy something.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

That doesn't bother me that much. I get that its something they are made to do. What bothers me is that when I call they don't answer or respond to email when I want to buy something.

I would just send him to voicemail but our receptionist won't announce calls

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Pissing me off: We are short staffed and overworked due to layoffs, etc. The only other person on my team is off this morning, which means I get everything and have to watch queues. Management's helpful suggestion? "Use the Force!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No received email may have been lost, but we did have a few clients report to us that they got bounces during the day yesterday.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Pissing me off: We are short staffed and overworked due to layoffs, etc. The only other person on my team is off this morning, which means I get everything and have to watch queues. Management's helpful suggestion? "Use the Force!"

"Okay. I'm getting a 50% raise. My proposals are all approved and budgeted. Move along."

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
I mistakenly shared a detailed log I was building of everything I'd touched in a day, and now my supervisor thinks it's a great idea for everyone in the team to send him one like it daily.

I think he's lost control of his group and is grasping at ideas. No way I'm doing a minute-by-minute journal of every command I enter.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I have altered the network. Pray I do not alter it further.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Roargasm posted:

I have altered the network. Pray I do not alter it further.

More like

*waves hand* I resign, effective immediately, use the Force to gently caress yourself

(or alternately - put in 2 weeks, tell them to "use the force" to find and train another employee)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

18 Character Limit posted:

I mistakenly shared a detailed log I was building of everything I'd touched in a day, and now my supervisor thinks it's a great idea for everyone in the team to send him one like it daily.

I think he's lost control of his group and is grasping at ideas. No way I'm doing a minute-by-minute journal of every command I enter.

You just haven't figured out how to automate your own reporting. :colbert:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ynglaur posted:

You just haven't figured out how to automate your own reporting. :colbert:

Putty -> set terminal log to file -> mutt -a putty.log boss@job.com

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Putty -> set terminal log to file -> mutt -a putty.log boss@job.com

I wish there was only one way to reach all of these machines.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

I would just send him to voicemail but our receptionist won't announce calls

Do what I do: Everyone goes to voicemail.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

18 Character Limit posted:

I wish there was only one way to reach all of these machines.

Start the Problem Step Recorder when you turn on your PC. After that, send the full log file to him.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Jeoh posted:

Start the Problem Step Recorder when you turn on your PC. After that, send the full log file to him.

alternately use fraps and record your desktop in full resolution as a video file and email it to him.

Well first drag the video into a power point presentation and then send that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

My uncle had a great strategy for dealing with voicemail where he would deliberately never listen to it and eventually people would figure it out

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Rhymenoserous posted:

I was once told that my view on work/life balance was out of whack because I didn't want to stay extra hours to work on projects.

Look. If the building is burning down/poo poo's broken, I'll be happy to work extra hours. If I'm working extra hours because X project isn't meeting it's deadline, either the deadline is too strict or we're understaffed.

One of our "PMs" complained a week or two ago to our team lead about how people needed to light a fire and put in extra hours so we can make a deadline. Nope, you need to make realistic deadilnes and plan properly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mewse posted:

My uncle had a great strategy for dealing with voicemail where he would deliberately never listen to it and eventually people would figure it out

I consistently lose the PIN to my work voicemail, within a day or 2 of setting it.

I have no clue how much voicemal I have :v:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Voicemail is not that bad people, sheesh.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Coredump posted:

Voicemail is not that bad people, sheesh.

Voicemail is the devil. Just email/txt/otherwise send it in convenient text format.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Shoretel system emails me my VMs, or I play them through the desktop app. I never have to log in to VM directly to do anything.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

gently caress phone calls, unless it's a genuine emergency.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I've been dancing for joy ever since we elected to move away from SEP and onto greener pastures for client endpoints.

Managing that for 3+ years now has not been fun; i could go on for days at how lovely Symantec Endpoint Protection is. If you want any real deep dive analysis of client behavior or granular information that is easily parsed they expect you to install Altiris, for fucks sake. It's even packaged with the SEP Manager install ISO.

LUA is a horrible mechanism with no LDAP authentication that runs on Java. JAVA. A security application that runs on JAVA. Same for SEPM proper.

On top of the bullshit above they have the worst support I've ever encountered in IT, and I regularly support financial applications.

This is my hell, LUA breaks every 2-3 months, SEPM regularly doesn't have information on clients (but the client happily reports it's talking to SEPM, but at least it's getting definitions), and uhh I dunno, LUA is really the devil-spawn though. Also, the lead developer for LUA built a robot, I expect a retarded skynet to go online at some point this decade, but it will fail to download updates, crash, and burn before taking over the world.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Voicemail is the devil. Just email/txt/otherwise send it in convenient text format.

Your voicemail doesn't just go to email? Pretty painless

dox fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 23, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dox posted:

Your voicemail doesn't just go to email? Pretty painless

Personal voicemail does, but I still have to listen to the actual message 50% of the time or more because speech to text is far from perfected.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jeoh posted:

gently caress phone calls, unless it's a genuine emergency.

Sometimes instead of emailing back and forth over the course of a day I just like to get something resolved over a 10 minute call.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Coredump posted:

Sometimes instead of emailing back and forth over the course of a day I just like to get something resolved over a 10 minute call.

Yeah, but I don't care to talk on the phone so deal with it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

My boss does that, whenever he tries to tackle something instead of figuring it out or googling it he will call whoever he can. We had an issue with Office 365 Dirsync that could of been fixed with a quick Powershell command he spent 4 hours on the phone with Microsoft support about it(how it took them that long I still don't know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Coredump posted:

This is how I feel. Most of the people I deal with can't articulate poo poo well enough in text for me to do anything with it.