Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

I have not stopped enjoying this video game that you finished a week ago and don't want to play again. I can't speak for anyone else though.

Is enjoying a video game white knighting? Is that a bad thing? I just can't tell anymore.

It's kinda stupid how any criticism of the plot gets shouted down by some as 'another phantom pain, Kojima is a puppetmaster and played us like a goddamn fiddle!', but the actual core gameplay is incredibly good and anyone who outright hates the game because of the barebones plot probably has issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
On the other hand, "I can't believe they cut half of this 100-hour game anyone who enjoys this video game is white knighting" isn't really criticism of the plot and gets equally tiring.

edit: I hope we can all agree though that the darkhound or whatever debacle was hilarious

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 22, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Pretty sure wolves cannot bark, so DD has to be a dog

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

So, is it safe to assume that Ocelot recreated the events of MGS3 with DD and that is why he is missing an eye?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

DD already has a hosed up eye when you find him

please do not imply that my good friend revolver "shalashaska" ocelot would shoot my BEST friend d-dog right in the goddamn face

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

Pretty sure wolves cannot bark, so DD has to be a dog

Wolf. Dogs. Jesus christ.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Yeah, I just looked that up because I didn't notice the hosed up eye before.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Kaubocks posted:

please do not imply that my good friend revolver "shalashaska" ocelot would shoot my BEST friend d-dog right in the goddamn face

I love that after 20 years they finally tried to explain what the gently caress shalashaska is supposed to be

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OatmealRaisin posted:

On the other hand, "I can't believe they cut half of this 100-hour game

It's really only so long because of a ridiculous amount of padding. Repetitive reused missions in the same locations, Facebook game upgrade timers, spending most of your time traveling to missions because of a lovely fast travel system, etc.

You can get away with repetitive content if the core mechanics are good enough, which they are here, but that doesn't mean the game wouldn't be better if it actually used fresh content.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 22, 2015

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

OatmealRaisin posted:

Quiet never writes anything down because if she communicates in any way Miller's taking her to room 101 and the only way she's leaving is in a body bag. And don't say Venom would stop him because Venom is no Big Boss and may be reeeaaaal good at killing but has no idea how to keep Kaz in check.

poo poo, Venom stands around and blankly watches her get tortured in a cutscene during the main game. He also says that he knows she's going to have to die sooner or later and he'll put her down when the time comes. I can understand Quiet not being all that confident that he'll be her savior if she starts writing stuff down.

Granted she could probably murder everyone on Mother Base short of Venom and maybe Ocelot without breaking a sweat, so I doubt she'd just being sitting around taking it when the time came, but she obviously doesn't want it to come to that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I know the timeline is hosed up, but I figure, it's Kojima, who cares. The Russian military breeds wolf-dog hybrids for use by their guard who guard the board that Tadjikistan shares with Afghanistan. Now, these “Volkosoby” are reletively new. Everything I have found suggests they started in the year 2000. But considering Sahelanthropus was "actually" discovered in 2002, I don't think that would stop Kojima from putting D-Dog in as a “Volkosoby”.

You know, in a game where Ocelot lying about people's identities to further his cause is a theme.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Facebook game timers for upgrades

are you one of those people who develop things and then just leave the game running when they go to work or something, because I prefer to actively play the game instead

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
would upgrade timers be better or worse if they didn't give you any information other than "uh complete ?? missions I guess" like in Peace Walker

edit: the literal only two things MB coins are used for are the useless online deployments and spending ten real-rear end dollars on a second FOB. that's kind of a far cry from "facebook timers" or w/e

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 22, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

are you one of those people who develop things and then just leave the game running when they go to work or something, because I prefer to actively play the game instead

No and I don't know where that weird lovely deflection is coming from.

Having to wait two and a half hours in the game in order to be able to hire five more people for my R&D team ~*but I can skip the wait with MB coins!*~ is loving lovely and dumb, and would get loving eviscerated in literally any other $60 video game. I like the game overall but pointing this out doesn't make me some kind of weird sperg.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

OatmealRaisin posted:

would upgrade timers be better or worse if they didn't give you any information other than "uh complete ?? missions I guess" like in Peace Walker

I would prefer that upgrades take a fixed amount of missions to complete, rather than a timer.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've never actually seen the option to skip the MB wait times with MB coins

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only thing I've seen that you can skip with MB coins are the online deployments, which suck and aren't worth doing anyway.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I like the story because its so goddamn stupid. Its 80% of the reason why I like the MGS series as much as I do. Kojima always finds a way to one up his ridiculousness.

I get why people might not like it, but I don't understand why people think its a new thing.

I'm also willing to forgive the unfinished parts of the game because its obvious Konami went "either release this game now or its cancelled"

If anything, its amazing to see it in an unfinished state and not a buggy mess. (Quiet save notwithstanding)

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Snak posted:

I would prefer that upgrades take a fixed amount of missions to complete, rather than a timer.

I mean, the idea being for some of the late game upgrades it's an hour of grinding an early APC mission or something rather than a straight hour-long timer, and Peace Walker gave no indication whatsoever of upgrade progress other than an unlabeled progress bar

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

if it makes you feel any better, Big Boss didn't get his eye shot out; it was just completely burned to a crisp by the muzzle on Ocelot's gun.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kin posted:

So has the overwhelming white knighting fandom for this game finally ended now?

It's been one week since i finished it and i can't think of a single thing that would ever make me want to play it again.

Post this in the Witcher 3 thread.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L1WYMKSaTA

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Snak posted:

Wolf. Dogs. Jesus christ.

He is all these things and more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Having to wait two and a half hours in the game in order to be able to hire five more people for my R&D team ~*but I can skip the wait with MB coins!*~ is loving lovely and dumb, and would get loving eviscerated in literally any other $60 video game. I like the game overall but pointing this out doesn't make me some kind of weird sperg.

Are you really arguing that in-game mechanics that take real-world time to develop would be eviscerated in any other game? Because I can name a ton of games, many of which are quite popular, which disprove this. You can argue some of them are too long but it isn't even like you can skip them with microtransactions despite what you claim.

I'd prefer it be not real world time or to go off while the game is turned off (the latter being something other games that have similar mechanics often do) but trying to push the "it's only that way to sell money" runs into the problem that MB coins are basically worthless and can't even do what you're saying.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I actually think the timers in MGSV make no sense. Why even have them? I downloaded a mod to get rid of them and nothing changed expect I didn't have to dick around for 1.2 or 2.4 hours to use end-game gear.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is not being able to skip them with micro transactions supposed to make them better or something? Forgive me for being incorrect about MB Coins, a mechanic I've never used because nobody should be loving with them anyways.

If the timers took like half an hour for the late game upgrades, then sure, whatever, but as it stands I just upgraded my medical platform to level 3 and the game is telling me that's going to take two and a half hours. That's insane. That's half of most indie games. I don't even know how long the level four upgrade will take. Yes, I am going to stick to my original statement - if this poo poo happened in an Assassin's Creed game, we would be seeing the standard "lol gently caress Ubisoft" responses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

I actually think the timers in MGSV make no sense. Why even have them? I downloaded a mod to get rid of them and nothing changed expect I didn't have to dick around for 1.2 or 2.4 hours to use end-game gear.

The idea is that time is also a resource. It's arguable if it is well-balanced (I'd say no) but "this takes actual time to create" is supposed to be an element of the resources you spend. It would make more sense if there were limited upgrade slots so that you had to decide if researching a new launcher was worth filling that slot for an hour but I somehow doubt that would make people feel better.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

OatmealRaisin posted:

I love that after 20 years they finally tried to explain what the gently caress shalashaska is supposed to be

I always thought it meant "Prison". I don't think there was ever a codec conversation explaining it, so maybe it was just something I heard somewhere.

They also definitely changed it, it used to be Shalashaska and now it's Shalashashka. My guess is they hosed up the nickname originally in MGS2 and this was their attempt at retconning it into something that made sense in Russian.

ImpAtom posted:

The idea is that time is also a resource. It's arguable if it is well-balanced (I'd say no) but "this takes actual time to create" is supposed to be an element of the resources you spend. It would make more sense if there were limited upgrade slots so that you had to decide if researching a new launcher was worth filling that slot for an hour but I somehow doubt that would make people feel better.

There actually are limited development slots, but the limit is like 6-8 simultaneously so you won't hit it until you're trying to research everything during the endgame. Perhaps not even then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vengarr posted:

There actually are limited development slots, but the limit is like 6-8 simultaneously so you won't hit it until you're trying to research everything during the endgame. Perhaps not even then.

Haha, well, that shows me. Well, that makes a bit more sense but yeah, there is no point where you're actually going to reasonably hit that early on. Having 6-8 things researching at once just isn't a thing you'll hit regularly. (Which goes back to it being poor balance.)

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

ImpAtom posted:

There are limited upgrade slots, you're just not likely to run up against the limit if you're always researching stuff as it becomes available.

e:fb

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Y'know, talking about Huey calling D-Dog a wolf... what does he say if you don't have D-Dog?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Vengarr posted:

Correct. At that point they were still relying heavily on bombers, which could be intercepted and took quite a while to get to their targets. That's why the Cuban Missile Crisis was a thing; from silos in Cuba, Russian missiles could annihilate the East Coast in 15 minutes. It was an insanely provocative gesture because it made a first strike much more likely to succeed in disabling the US completely, in an era before nuclear-equipped submarines and ICBMs made a retaliatory strike inevitable.

Any weapon which can destroy the enemy completely without giving them a chance to retaliate increases the odds of war precipitously. That's what the Shagohod was all about.

Now that old Soviet documents are being declassified, this seems really funny. The CIA had so many theories as to why the USSR gave nukes to Cuba. But the real reason is that the Politburo thought that Cuba needed a stronger military, and nukes were part of default military improvement package 36B.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Gravy Jones posted:

Reskin D-Horse as D-Dog so you can ride him into battle.

i want this

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Kaubocks posted:

Literal three hour timers for weapons

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I always thought it meant "Prison". I don't think there was ever a codec conversation explaining it, so maybe it was just something I heard somewhere.

They also definitely changed it, it used to be Shalashaska and now it's Shalashashka. My guess is they hosed up the nickname originally in MGS2 and this was their attempt at retconning it into something that made sense in Russian.

Well there's Sharashka which could have been mistranslated in the earlier games or they just thought their version sounded better.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

Literal three hour timers for weapons

Yeah, and alt-tabbing doesn't work either. I just left the game running to do some chores so I would actually get to play with my toys before running out of side-ops. It's dumb.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

No and I don't know where that weird lovely deflection is coming from.

because the argument that this is one of the reasons why the game can take 100 hours to play is even weirder

like if you want to argue that it's a dumb mechanic and that things should develop instantly, ok, but you'd be extremely hard pressed to find people who said "yeah I played for 90 hours but 20 of those I was just waiting for timers to go down" because things can develop while you play the game

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

because the argument that this is one of the reasons why the game can take 100 hours to play is even weirder

like if you want to argue that it's a dumb mechanic and that things should develop instantly, ok, but you'd be extremely hard pressed to find people who said "yeah I played for 90 hours but 20 of those I was just waiting for timers to go down" because things can develop while you play the game

Good thing that was only one of several things I listed and you're just cherry picking one of them.

How much of your playtime in the game was spent infiltrating an area you hadn't done before? If you cut all of the reused missions out the game would easily lose half of its length. This doesn't make it a bad game, but saying ridiculous poo poo like "how can you complain about cut content when the game is already so long!" is still a loving joke.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
The only MGS game that wouldn't lose significant length to cutting out area revisits is MGS4 and boy howdy am I glad this game isn't MGS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

Y'know, talking about Huey calling D-Dog a wolf... what does he say if you don't have D-Dog?

He probably just skips the line.

• Locked thread