Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

OatmealRaisin posted:

The only MGS game that wouldn't lose significant length to cutting out area revisits is MGS4 and boy howdy am I glad this game isn't MGS4

At least you and I have common ground there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

At least you and I have common ground there.

:cheers:

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
A friend sent me this earlier today.

Finally, MGS6: Sons of Liberty (international) confirmed. :tinfoil:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So, restarting my chronlogical playthrough of the entire series and :siren: YOU CAN SLEEP SOUNDLY, SNAKE EATER IS STILL INCREDIBLE. :siren:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Commissar Budgie posted:

Holy poo poo.

That article posted posted:

Sons of Liberty International is the first military contracting firm operating on non-profit principles, providing free security consulting and training services to vulnerable populations to enable them to defend themselves against terrorists, insurgents, and oppressive regimes.

We will step in where the international community has failed, reacting quickly to security crises and enabling local forces to defend their own communities.

Everything this guys says could be straight from one of SS or BB's speeches.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Commissar Budgie posted:

Ignoring everything else wrong with that, it's pretty funny what this guy from the MGS series is that setting up mercenary companies to fight endless conflicts in foreign wars is a good thing

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

poptart_fairy posted:

Post this in the Witcher 3 thread.

But Witcher 3 is almost like the antithesis of MGSV. There's almost too much story in that loving game.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Remember when RPGs had stories like the Witcher 3 and that was considered an average amount of story?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kin posted:

But Witcher 3 is almost like the antithesis of MGSV. There's almost too much story in that loving game.

In heaven games have the plot of Witcher 3 and the gameplay of MGS5, in Hell they have the plot of MGS5 and the gameplay of Witcher 3

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Nice one!

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
and really cool sex minigames

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

Remember when RPGs had stories like the Witcher 3 and that was considered an average amount of story?

No. Even back in the glory days of the PC they were not as overly-laden with plot as people remember. They may have had more text but even if they did that is because they were using 10kb still images and had to back it up with descriptive text instead.

I love old-school RPGs but I can't think of many as full of individual content as The Witcher 3 is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Commissar Budgie posted:

and really cool sex minigames

But only with Ocelot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The closest is probably Planescape: Torment, but even it didn't have the level of dynamic story interaction that Witcher 3 has.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
So did Kaz have ~hypnosis~ forcibly applied to him to make him forget the lack of a giant spike jutting out of the real Big Boss' head and the presence of such a one on the medic who he explicitly saw and inquired about when they were in hospital together or does everything in this game's story just fall apart if you apply the slightest amount of scrutiny to it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Perfect Potato posted:

So did Kaz have ~hypnosis~ forcibly applied to him to make him forget the lack of a giant spike jutting out of the real Big Boss' head and the presence of such a one on the medic who he explicitly saw and inquired about when they were in hospital together or does everything in this game's story just fall apart if you apply the slightest amount of scrutiny to it

Kaz knows that Venom isn't Big Boss and has known it from the start. Zero actually tells him the plan.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

ImpAtom posted:

No. Even back in the glory days of the PC they were not as overly-laden with plot as people remember. They may have had more text but even if they did that is because they were using 10kb still images and had to back it up with descriptive text instead.

I love old-school RPGs but I can't think of many as full of individual content as The Witcher 3 is.

I don't mean text RPGs cause I'm not that old lol, I mean poo poo like V:TMB and stuff like that, just filled with shitloads of story content relative to other gameplay and games of the era, where going around talking to people was as much of a game as fighting dudes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Funky Valentine posted:

Kaz knows that Venom isn't Big Boss and has known it from the start. Zero actually tells him the plan.

I loved that tape, Zero's new VA was excellent at dry sass :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Perfect Potato posted:

Maybe Kaz was just grudgingly complicit in the plan. When you rescue him he "has trouble recognizing you" because he was hoping it was the real Snake, then he realizes it isn't and plays along. I think Kaz knowingly hanging out with the false Big Boss is part of what fuels his venomous rage.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

So I should just ignore the whole end conversation between Kaz and Ocelot where that was clearly not the case and he had just found out and was really pissed and mad at being used about it and swore revenge? Why not

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Perfect Potato posted:

So I should just ignore the whole end conversation between Kaz and Ocelot where that was clearly not the case and he had just found out and was really pissed and mad at being used about it and swore revenge? Why not

I thought maybe this tape took place before Venom woke up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

I don't mean text RPGs cause I'm not that old lol, I mean poo poo like V:TMB and stuff like that, just filled with shitloads of story content relative to other gameplay and games of the era, where going around talking to people was as much of a game as fighting dudes.

I love V:TMB but it actually isn't that long or full of content. It has a few pretty full areas and then kind of putters off. The fan patches also did a lot to improve its general play ability, speaking as someone who bought it at launch it used to be a lot shittier. Witcher 3 absolutely trounces Bloodlines in quantity.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

He doesn't know it's not the real Big Boss and he spent very little time with him after the Heli crash. Zero tells him the code for when Big Boss has awoken is "V has come to" but that's a lie. It's the code for when Venom has woken, and the point is made that Big Boss waking up first is important. Zero saw Kaz as something of a necessary evil and barely wanted him involved with Big Boss and he certainly wasn't in on the Venom Snake plan from day 1.

The time Kaz finds it out is almost surely the post credits tape after mission 46, and they're saying we're working together for a while yet until Outer Heaven is done, then we're splitting up. There's no real time to place that, but Miller and Ocelot are too cordial throughout the game, even though they do clash in opinion, to really place it during, imo.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Perfect Potato posted:

The circumstances surrounding Venom waking up, Big Boss waking up, who's in on the plan, and when they found out about the plan are just mysterious and undefined.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Perfect Potato posted:

No, only Ocelot hypnotized himself. At the end of Mission 46 there's a conversation between Ocelot and Kaz in which Ocelot tells him that Big Boss is off creating the real Outer Heaven and their orders are to support Venom Snake. Kaz doesn't like this and declares that he'll support Venom Snake as a means of taking Big Boss down for betraying them all.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

ImpAtom posted:

I love V:TMB but it actually isn't that long or full of content. It has a few pretty full areas and then kind of putters off. The fan patches also did a lot to improve its general play ability, speaking as someone who bought it at launch it used to be a lot shittier. Witcher 3 absolutely trounces Bloodlines in quantity.

I've only played to Chinatown, so if that's true then I'm pretty sad, but happy at the same time because that means that RPG stories will only get bigger and better like in the Witcher 3.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm not bothered by repeating areas with new objectives but also I sunk about a hundred hours into Hyrule Warriors so

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shoren posted:

No, only Ocelot hypnotized himself. At the end of Mission 46 there's a conversation between Ocelot and Kaz in which Ocelot tells him that Big Boss is off creating the real Outer Heaven and their orders are to support Venom Snake. Kaz doesn't like this and declares that he'll support Venom Snake as a means of taking Big Boss down for betraying them all.

yeah, I'm just confused about when this conversation actually took place. The "Truth: Man Who Sold the World" mission clearly shows that Kaz saw Medic with the Shrapnel in his head. are we supposed to believe that because he's blind (?) now, he is fooled by Venom? Maybe Ocelot and Zero were thinking he would be fooled, but I really don't think he is.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Funky Valentine posted:

I don't think so. I think Ocelot is the only one fully in the know from the beginning. Otherwise, why hypnotize himself? He's trying to eliminate any possibility of the ruse being discovered, even going so far as to consider his own brain a potential loose end. That's why they allow the hospital to be destroyed rather than just moving BB to an undisclosed location. Everybody who knows dies, every piece of evidence burns, and only "Big Boss" walks out alive. This also gives a strong impression to XOF that Venom is indeed Big Boss, because who else could survive something like that?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

The circumstances surrounding Venom waking up, Big Boss waking up, who's in on the plan, and when they found out about the plan are just mysterious and undefined.

It isn't really.

The doctors in Cyprus, Ocelot and Zero are in on the plan from the beginning, Big Boss wakes up, Man on Fire wakes up, Big Boss recouperates for a while, they bring Venom out of his coma early, Miller is informed, XOF attack.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But it doesn't explain that Miller saw both Medic and Big Boss right after the crash. he's the only one who's cogent, and after BB is brought back from flatlining, he looks over at Medic and says "what about him?" "He took some shrapnel. To the head"

I don't see how he can't suspect.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Aurain posted:

It isn't really.

The doctors in Cyprus, Ocelot and Zero are in on the plan from the beginning, Big Boss wakes up, Man on Fire wakes up, Big Boss recouperates for a while, they bring Venom out of his coma early, Miller is informed, XOF attack.

When is Miller informed, he talks about the future they were building together (I thought this meant Diamond Dogs) being a lie in the after-credits thing. Do the soldiers on your base know? I don't know if the post-story stuff like that is canon, but it's a weird thing to add in. When exactly does Big Boss wake up, we know it has to be a few weeks since it took that long for Venom to recover from his atrophied condition post-coma. So when does Big Boss do all that exercising? This isn't important to the story at all, but it's just like, a blank spot which is really weird since the MGS timeline is usually so detailed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He was just in a helicopter crash on top of all that traumatic poo poo. Sure, it's a pretty glaring point but even that you can sort of handwave with "you went through a lot of poo poo, you're misremembering things or imagining things that didn't happen."

I guess the trauma might have had him forget what happened anyway.

Buschmaki posted:

When is Miller informed, he talks about the future they were building together (I thought this meant Diamond Dogs) being a lie in the after-credits thing. Do the soldiers on your base know? I don't know if the post-story stuff like that is canon, but it's a weird thing to add in. When exactly does Big Boss wake up, we know it has to be a few weeks since it took that long for Venom to recover from his atrophied condition post-coma. So when does Big Boss do all that exercising? This isn't important to the story at all, but it's just like, a blank spot which is really weird since the MGS timeline is usually so detailed.

There's some flavour text after mission 46 that soldiers say about following you whoever you are. I wouldn't read a lot into that.

Big Boss wakes up 9 years after the crash for sure and Ocelot's "you're walking around already?" when he goes for a smoke would probably mean that he wasn't up for a long time before the ball got rolling. The game starts in March, if I remember right so Big Boss has probably only been up for a couple of weeks to a month or two. Venom was in a worse state than Big Boss, so it's not really like you can compare the two of them's recovery times.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 22, 2015

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I just think people got thrown for a loop because Kojima usually overexplains everything, and now he just overexplains some things and doesn't explain others at all. This is sorta like the Cobra Unit in MGS3 I guess but they didn't really have any plot relevance, unlike some of the stuff in MGSV

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doesn't Zero literally talk to Miller about the Boss switch in one of the tapes? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Buschmaki posted:

If Kaz knew the whole time, it puts a little bit of a twist on the "Big Boss is Watching You" posters.

Also if you look, the BB is watching posters show an eye patch with 2 straps, which is one of the differences between Venom and BB.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

ImpAtom posted:

Doesn't Zero literally talk to Miller about the Boss switch in one of the tapes? Maybe I'm misremembering.

He only vaguely hints at it, but they primarily talk about how Miller is gonna need to be ready to save Big Boss or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

He doesn't tell him about the switch, he's loathe to tell him anything at all. He pointedly had him taken away from Kaz to protect Big Boss so it goes to reason that letting him in on the imposter trick so early is counter productive to that. He also specifically makes a point of saying V has come to is for Big Boss, not Venom, which we know for a fact as a player is incorrect.

If Kaz was in on it from the first day the Venom idea was brought up, it was Ocelot who told him, not Zero.

Zero does tell Ocelot about the Venom plan in their tape together.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aurain posted:

Zero does tell Ocelot about the Venom plan in their tape together.

Maybe this is why I am confused about when the Ocelot/Miller tape takes place. The Zero/Ocelot tape clearly takes place before V has come to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Listening to the post-credits talk between Kaz and Ocelot makes it seem like it happened immediately after Kaz is rescued. Ocelot talks about supporting Venom Snake going forward and how they need to coexist. Also, when Kaz storms off from Ocelot it sounds like he has his crutch.

Kaz was probably expecting Venom Snake to be around long enough to take the heat off of Big Boss's escape from the hospital, but exclaims that he really has lost everything when he finds out Big Boss is really out making Outer Heaven. Ocelot presumably hypnotizes himself following this because he had to know Kaz's intentions before doing so, but that explains why their relationship is so prickly through TPP. It's possible Ocelot didn't hypnotize himself at all either.

• Locked thread