Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GoutPatrol posted:

There is a loving reason you can't call Miracle Whip mayo man.

Yes, yes, I'm sorry. It's the only sandwich dressing which is acceptable below the Mason-Dixon line. Please forgive my error, as I grew up in Florida and trying to explain the intricate differences between the two to anybody who doesn't understand is a fool's errand.

I actually wish I could find the stuff, would make my tuna salad sandwiches much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't know why people don't just make their own mayo. All you need is an immersion blender and a cup.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

I don't know why people don't just make their own mayo. All you need is an immersion blender and a cup.

Mayonnaise is gross and Asia/the Netherlands are way too obsessed with it. I can do with a nice aioli but plain mayo is the worst and dutch people always pour it on french fries and in Taiwan it's always on sushi and UGGHHH

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Its hard to find non-sweet mayo here outside of Costco as well.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Magna Kaser posted:

Mayonnaise is gross and Asia/the Netherlands are way too obsessed with it. I can do with a nice aioli but plain mayo is the worst and dutch people always pour it on french fries and in Taiwan it's always on sushi and UGGHHH

Quotin this poo poo forever

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

Good man, its delicious. Even if it makes me fart.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014
I didn't see it in the OP but can I join the LINE group?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Let the 4 day weekend commence!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I needed to go to the loving bank tomorrow!

Miraillenium
Sep 24, 2014

Alcohol is humanity's friend. Can I abandon a friend?
Looking for LINE invite

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

Hi guys. I'm planning a long-term stay in Taiwan, working as an English teacher, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice as far as cities or locations to shoot for or schools to apply to.

I have two years of experience teaching in Japan (honestly I thought it would just be something to pay the bills while I studied Japanese but it turns out I absolutely fell in love with teaching English) and have a 120-hour TEFL certificate. The main reason I want to go to Taiwan versus other countries is that I desperately want to learn / practice Chinese (so a place with few foreigners is okay though not mandatory), and Taiwanese culture seems more interesting to me than mainland China. I'd also like to live in a place with a decent number of things going on--for example, I'd love to find a Buddhist temple or a place to learn martial arts to get out and meet people. When I was in Japan I lived in a city whose public library offered free weekly Japanese classes. I don't know if that's a thing in Taiwanese cities but that would be a cool thing too.

Anyone have any advice they can shoot my way? Thanks!

edit: I guess I should add that I did read the OP, and I've found lots of postings on the job sites listed there like tealit, but I'm more looking for recommendations from people who have done the English-teaching thing over there and have particular places in mind they can recommend.

The Letter A fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 30, 2015

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think most people in the thread live in the north in or around Taipei and being the capital city and a massive urban area, you can basically find whatever you need so if you have any doubt about living conditions or finding resources to learn martial arts or Chinese, Taipei will certainly have some. If you want to push yourself to learn Chinese through necessity, you just have to go to one of the less popular areas of New Taipei City or Taoyuan. That way you have the convenience of being near Taipei while also being in a more "authentic" environment. However, there are a couple of goons scattered around the island, on the east coast and in the south, and they all seem to like where they're living well-enough. Taiwanese people are super friendly and everything on the island is relatively modern so it won't matter overly much where you end up. No one is going to care about the TESOL certificate unfortunately. If you have a degree, you're good to go as far as getting a work permit. Since there's no national program like JET or EPIK, there aren't standardized pay tiers and TESOL certificates don't factor in at all. It's worth mentioning on a resume maybe but it won't make or break your employment or get you any kind of bonus.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I saw another typhoon smashed into Yilin and over the island.
Wulai was apparently cut off and places are without power.

what's the damage like?

would it still he feasible to head up a few hours into Toroko Gorge.

I fly in Monday morning, any goons still want to meet up?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

The Letter A posted:

Hi guys. I'm planning a long-term stay in Taiwan, working as an English teacher, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice as far as cities or locations to shoot for or schools to apply to.

I have two years of experience teaching in Japan (honestly I thought it would just be something to pay the bills while I studied Japanese but it turns out I absolutely fell in love with teaching English) and have a 120-hour TEFL certificate. The main reason I want to go to Taiwan versus other countries is that I desperately want to learn / practice Chinese (so a place with few foreigners is okay though not mandatory), and Taiwanese culture seems more interesting to me than mainland China. I'd also like to live in a place with a decent number of things going on--for example, I'd love to find a Buddhist temple or a place to learn martial arts to get out and meet people. When I was in Japan I lived in a city whose public library offered free weekly Japanese classes. I don't know if that's a thing in Taiwanese cities but that would be a cool thing too.

edit: I guess I should add that I did read the OP, and I've found lots of postings on the job sites listed there like tealit, but I'm more looking for recommendations from people who have done the English-teaching thing over there and have particular places in mind they can recommend.

I lived in Hsinchu for a year and taught at Hess for that time. Hsinchu is about halfway between Taipei and Taichung and is a perfect compromise city, with all the good and bad that entails. It has every big city facility and convenience you'd expect, like import stores, movie theaters, etc.. but of course you have fewer options. Because it's not a super desirable location your rent will be a ton cheaper, perhaps even lower than half of Taipei rents. Food is also a little cheaper yet despite all that wages are still 2nd highest in Taiwan since it has a huge high-tech zone with tons of R&D and the best STEM university in Taiwan which for you means there are plenty of wealthy people wiling to pay for school. The club/bar scene is also correspondingly smaller, but if you're not super into that you'll likely find it big enough, and if you are then some people head up to Taipei for a night and party until the trains and buses start running again. Feel free to PM if you want to know more.

After that I was in Taipei for two years, one of them at NTNU's Mandarin Training Center and another working at a tech company. Info on Taipei is much more available, but the short of it is that it has everything, and you pay for it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

The Letter A posted:

Live in Taipei and be somebody.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The Letter A posted:

You can get everything in Taipei, but if you want to learn Chinese maybe another big city would be better? Taichung or even Kaohsiung aren't that far from Taipei and it's a lot easier to find people willing to talk with you in Chinese. Don't apply to Hess, it would be horrid for someone with your experience.

Hmm, which city has the best Chinese courses? I hear NTNU's is good, are there any other notable ones?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
For a whole city it's easily Taipei. NTNU's MTC is excellent, and there are so many other good colleges there teaching Chinese like NTU, Chengchi, and Chinese Cultural University. That said, it might not be best for learning Chinese because like you said it's quite easy to use English as a crutch. For an individual school the Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages in Kaohsiung is quite prestigious in language teaching and the 2 people I've personally known who studied there had very good Chinese, especially for how long they'd been studying.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm trying to find a certain coffee shop in Taipei.

Its near a University i think, and it serves Jamacian Blue Mountain beans in Wedgewood china cups. It is run by a coffee wizard and does siphon coffee.
Might be out in Da'an or Guting.

Some photos.

Also, where can I get a Maestro Wu bombshell knife while im here?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kommando posted:

I'm trying to find a certain coffee shop in Taipei.

Its near a University i think, and it serves Jamacian Blue Mountain beans in Wedgewood china cups. It is run by a coffee wizard and does siphon coffee.
Might be out in Da'an or Guting.

Some photos.

Also, where can I get a Maestro Wu bombshell knife while im here?

Are your photos gps tagged by any chance?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Are your photos gps tagged by any chance?

no, theyre taken with a Canon Ixus60

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

USDA Choice posted:

For a whole city it's easily Taipei. NTNU's MTC is excellent, and there are so many other good colleges there teaching Chinese like NTU, Chengchi, and Chinese Cultural University. That said, it might not be best for learning Chinese because like you said it's quite easy to use English as a crutch. For an individual school the Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages in Kaohsiung is quite prestigious in language teaching and the 2 people I've personally known who studied there had very good Chinese, especially for how long they'd been studying.

Yeah, that's why I asked about schools rather than cities. I've heard of the Ursuline College but know nothing about it other than the name sticking with me.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I think I found it.

Drop Coffee 滴咖啡

Xinsheng S. Road Section 3 Lane 76 #1

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Kommando posted:

I think I found it.

Drop Coffee 滴咖啡

Xinsheng S. Road Section 3 Lane 76 #1

That's right, I walk past there everyday practically.

The Letter A
Nov 8, 2002

Atlas Hugged, USDA Choice, Spanish Matlock, House Louse, USDA Choice posted:

Excellent advice
Thanks for the great responses everyone. I had one more question. When I was in Japan I was working primarily as a kindergarten teacher and I loved it. I know Taiwan has a big ol grey area when it comes to foreigners teaching kindergarten, but the OP makes it seem like a non-issue. If I wanted to find a kindergarten teaching job, how would I go about that? I don't suppose they advertise on the internet, right?

If I were to just pull the trigger and go to Taiwan with the goal of finding a job once I'm there, is there a best time of year to go to have the best chance of finding something? Chinese New Year, etc?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

The Letter A posted:

Thanks for the great responses everyone. I had one more question. When I was in Japan I was working primarily as a kindergarten teacher and I loved it. I know Taiwan has a big ol grey area when it comes to foreigners teaching kindergarten, but the OP makes it seem like a non-issue. If I wanted to find a kindergarten teaching job, how would I go about that? I don't suppose they advertise on the internet, right?

If I were to just pull the trigger and go to Taiwan with the goal of finding a job once I'm there, is there a best time of year to go to have the best chance of finding something? Chinese New Year, etc?

The cram schools more or less follow the American academic year schedule, so winter break and at the end of summer vacation is theoretically the best time to look for work. But it's English teaching so places are hiring year round. Most people just show up and end up finding a job in a week or so. You shouldn't have any issue.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

The Letter A posted:

Most English teachers I know (including myself) teach at least some kindergarten classes. It varies from full morning programs to a few classes a week.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Woo Taiwan, im in you.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Taiwan I am out of you.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kommando posted:

Taiwan I am out of you.
Sorry about the weather. I'd say it's not usually that rainy but I'd be a dirty loving liar.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So, question; I've got my scooter license, but am thinking of getting my car license. I've still got the online test bookmarked, but is there anything I should know about taking the driving test?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

So, question; I've got my scooter license, but am thinking of getting my car license. I've still got the online test bookmarked, but is there anything I should know about taking the driving test?
  • You should practice before going, as the driving test is stricter; all driving and parking moves have to be done in one go and if you touch the curb at any time, test over. Specifically, backing into a space in a single go; parallel parking is one of the easier ones if you know the mirror trick, though you won't actually have cars around the space, so you'll just have to imagine them.
  • You should use a buddy's car for the test instead of using/renting the house car for the test. You don't get any practice time with the house car, so you're handicapping yourself because you don't know how it behaves or what the turn radii are like, etc. That said, you won't be able to use rear cams for backing up and parking; they'll put a sticker over the camera so you'll have to use your windows and mirrors.
  • You have to signal if changing lanes or turning FOR ANY REASON including if the instructor says "eh, let's just go over there for the next bit".
  • When getting out of your car, you have to open it a crack and peek out to see if there's any cars or scooters coming, then open it, even though you're sitting in a parking lot with no possible way anybody can come by. This one is actually kind of a useful lesson as this is important when opening your door after parallel parking.
  • Another weird one is that you have to stop in a specific area on an incline, and you can't let the car float back if you've overshot.
  • There should be some videos around somewhere that go through the exact test criteria and point deductions, though generally it's "touch the curb, you're out", and "you can touch a line once at most" I believe.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I tried taking the test once and I bombed it horrifically. The test doesn't really care if you know how to drive, it cares if you know how to pass the test and there's a whole industry set up to teach you to pass the test.The things that got me were that you can't stop moving while parallel parking or backing in. It all has to be done in a single, continuous motion and there's no allowance for resetting like they do in the states. For me, the hardest part was driving backwards in an S. That took me hours to master. I eventually just up and paid to learn how to take the test and then they let you practice in the same car as you take the test in, and it's all premarked on the mirrors and windows with where you need to line up the poles and signs of the course.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

• You have to signal if changing lanes or turning FOR ANY REASON including if the instructor says "eh, let's just go over there for the next bit".
Taiwanese cars have turn signals?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

I tried taking the test once and I bombed it horrifically. The test doesn't really care if you know how to drive, it cares if you know how to pass the test and there's a whole industry set up to teach you to pass the test.The things that got me were that you can't stop moving while parallel parking or backing in. It all has to be done in a single, continuous motion and there's no allowance for resetting like they do in the states. For me, the hardest part was driving backwards in an S. That took me hours to master. I eventually just up and paid to learn how to take the test and then they let you practice in the same car as you take the test in, and it's all premarked on the mirrors and windows with where you need to line up the poles and signs of the course.
S curve wasn't that terrible, i just used side mirrors and intuition :shrug: the only thing I had trouble with was the backing into the space in one go, partly because the house car was a lot bigger than the one I normally drive(failed on the very first part). The "can't stop moving" thing really means "you can't switch directions"; you can hold down the brake and creep slowly if you want.

TetsuoTW posted:

Yes; they're required on all cars in case they're used in a driving test.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

S curve wasn't that terrible, i just used side mirrors and intuition :shrug: the only thing I had trouble with was the backing into the space in one go, partly because the house car was a lot bigger than the one I normally drive(failed on the very first part). The "can't stop moving" thing really means "you can't switch directions"; you can hold down the brake and creep slowly if you want.

Yes; they're required on all cars in case they're used in a driving test.

No idea why it was problematic for me, just was. Yeah, you can creep, but in practice that just meant I very slowly set off the alarm rather than immediately.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I got lucky and it was a dead day at the testing center. One guy took me out and showed me the course and proceeded to tell me how to pass. Let me practice three times. Boss guy sat down and I didn't even finish a few of the things. He just kept waving me on and telling me to go.

When I asked my score he said it didn't matter because I passed.

Nantze dmv was great.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

They're part of the hazard lights system which, when activated, allows you to park anywhere for any length of time.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

this never gets old :xd:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

url posted:

this never gets old :xd:

Seriously, A+ level Taiwan goon posting right there. You'd never know they existed if you didn't occasionally see one, almost like catching a glimpse of Bigfoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm a bit worried now. I don't think there's an actual course at the Chiayi DMV, unless it's off site. I know there's at least what looks like a driving school near where I live, but I don't know if the DMV would send me there to do the driving test, or if I'd have to take a trip to Taichung or Tainan. Anyway to look that up outside of "ask a Taiwanese friend"?

Also, how much do the schools cost? And does the school administer the test?

e: I would prefer to do the test in a manual car, the one I have access to has a wonky transmission that's difficult to shift from reverse to first and I'm worried the testing official might look poorly upon my performance because of that.