Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eonwe posted:

All my favorite shitposters post here

Now that I'm here :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
So I pledged with no intent of playing until release about 28 years ago when the kickstarter first came out. Someone tell me what the combats like.

Is it awful wildstar telegraph poo poo? Awful tera action combat poo poo? (worried about those 2 mostly because they are poo poo with poo poo ping. poo poo) Tab target poo poo? A mix between two or all of these?

I know they talk about how unique and different their combat is, but let's be real, it's not gonna be innovative. Similar but masked well, at best. So tell me now.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 17, 2015

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

2DCAT posted:

Witch Hunter tore my heart out. Such a cool class design... completely worthless in PvP. I loved them so much I wanted to make a sword/pistol thief in gw2, but alas that combo sucked there too :(

The concept of Witch Hunter is my favorite MMO class. The actual playing of one, not so much.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
WH Freakin' owned. Don't know what you're smoking if you think they sucked.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm sorry Reggin you're actually a really smart guy and I'd like to play limp bizkit with you.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

WH Freakin' owned. Don't know what you're smoking if you think they sucked.

Yeah, I didn't play WAR for long but I remember WH being good. Just not as good as their counterpart.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

malhavok posted:

Yeah, I didn't play WAR for long but I remember WH being good. Just not as good as their counterpart.

I remember the game being BW or GTFO. Maybe things changed after I quit.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The difference between WH, and WE was that WEs basically either rofflestomped you out of stealth or they didn't. They had 0 sustain, whereas WHs had very similar ability to kill someone out of stealth but weren't completely useless if caught out of it either.

That being said, Shadow Elves or whatever and Engineers where the true shinning turds in the game. 5 boxing Engis and defending a keep "solo" from an entire warband was hilarious and would spend that amount of money monthly again.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

THE PWNER posted:

So I pledged with no intent of playing until release about 28 years ago when the kickstarter first came out. Someone tell me what the combats like.

Is it awful wildstar telegraph poo poo? Awful tera action combat poo poo? (worried about those 2 mostly because they are poo poo with poo poo ping. poo poo) Tab target poo poo? A mix between two or all of these?

I know they talk about how unique and different their combat is, but let's be real, it's not gonna be innovative. Similar but masked well, at best. So tell me now.

It's a mix between classic targeting and some skillshot directional/selectable AOE attacks.

At least in its current form, the CU design team hasn't been shy about changing things if they feel like something else is going to work better based on Alpha feedback, which I can appreciate. Bringing back traditional classes was a big, positive thing for me. I rather have deep customization within the confines of playing a certain well defined role.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

2DCAT posted:

I remember the game being BW or GTFO. Maybe things changed after I quit.

It was mostly the fact that multiple bright wizards could stack their persistent aoe spell in one spot and you would get hit by ALL of them if you tried to walk through it that was the main problem. Once you had about 5-6 of them you could just deny choke points to the other side no matter how large their army. Simply comparing the classes to each other bright wizard was not really all that great, it was the idiotic game mechanics that ruined the game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kimsemus posted:

Even though Chaos usually CRUSHED order, some classes were EXTREMELY good, such as Bright Wizard and Knights of the Blazing Sun, and some were TERRIBLE, such as Witch Hunter.

They never did fix the balance.

I don't think you played WAR at any high level, witch hunters did crazy damage with %50 attack speed bonus.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

malhavok posted:

It was mostly the fact that multiple bright wizards could stack their persistent aoe spell in one spot and you would get hit by ALL of them if you tried to walk through it that was the main problem. Once you had about 5-6 of them you could just deny choke points to the other side no matter how large their army. Simply comparing the classes to each other bright wizard was not really all that great, it was the idiotic game mechanics that ruined the game.

This. On defense if you just had 5 or 6 engineers on your ramparts, everything died anyway. Worst off, if someone broke the door down, KoTBS could just stand there with Hold the Line up while WP dumped heals into them until the end of time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
This is the most fun I had in war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bThwjcEM9rE

We would go make engineer alts and go into the T1 arenas. It would be 11 engineers and 1 really confused bright wizard vrs whatever.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

This is the most fun I had in war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bThwjcEM9rE

We would go make engineer alts and go into the T1 arenas. It would be 11 engineers and 1 really confused bright wizard vrs whatever.

The only fun pvp happened in T1.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Do we have an offsite setup yet?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Hy_C posted:

Not yet, and no single goon patriot has stepped up to lead the official effort.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Kimsemus posted:

It's a brave fool who wants to wrangle cats.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Kimsemus posted:

It's a mix between classic targeting and some skillshot directional/selectable AOE attacks.

That sounds pretty solid, thanks. I think the classic approach is more desirable now that we've all gotten the "We Need Action Combat" out of our system. I tried all of them and aside from Neverwinter (which was at its core just flashy tab targetting,) they never really came together in the same way tab targeting games do.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Hy_C posted:

seems early for all this. is a beta or something happening soon?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my guess is that hy_c was making a joke

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Eonwe posted:

my guess is that hy_c was making a joke

You mean I edited this homoerotic phrase into my profile for nothing? Dang.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

I nominate Drinkfist.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

How can goons implode without an offsite forum? I'm just planning ahead for these things.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

Well you can start by picking today's date as a reference SA regdate to identify J4G's

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Is playtime still limited to just the friday night stuff, or are the servers up more frequently than that? I'm in other betas and alphas, but none of them have really clicked with me and this is the game I am most curious about. Is it worth $60 to jump into right now?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bait and Swatch posted:

Is playtime still limited to just the friday night stuff, or are the servers up more frequently than that? I'm in other betas and alphas, but none of them have really clicked with me and this is the game I am most curious about. Is it worth $60 to jump into right now?

No.

Choibai
Jan 10, 2009

Bait and Swatch posted:

As Orv said, no.

To elaborate, there is no classes in the game yet. You can muck around with some of the skill design stuff and use it on other players but its really just in the game to entice the internal and alpha testers to log in and test the net code and major crashes. Which is rock solid as of dragoncon week.

I believe the next weeks they will be showcasing classes one by one but who knows when they will be in the alpha. Also the cool animations and melee combat features are not in yet.
So yeah, don't get it yet

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Agreed. I am looking forwards to this (God help me) but I wouldn't buy in yet. Let us endure the initial pain for you.

Now, it is early to offsite. But seriously, maybe we should get a list up? Erev running mostly Arthurian.

Orv
May 4, 2011
gently caress offsites forever and gently caress lists until it's playable and fun for more than an hour at a time.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Orv posted:

gently caress offsites forever and gently caress lists until it's playable and fun for more than an hour at a time.

Come now - I had fun for at LEAST an hour and a half.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Orv posted:

well look who is now off the list

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:laugh:

gently caress offsites.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I don't think there is a need for an offsite till there is a game with enough substance that warrants constant goon participation. CU is getting there, but it's not there yet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

kimsemus, this was a sperg test

you have the sperg, you took hyc seriously

please, go read a law book or something

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

kimsemus, this was a sperg test

you have the sperg, you took hyc seriously

please, go read a law book or something

I have brought dishonor and shame upon my household.

I shall admonish myself by flogging via trying to play American destroyers in World of Warships.

In related news, CU just hired the 2 senior programmers they have been looking for, which should begin speeding things along nicely.

Full interview is here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/926/feature/10127/Camelot-Unchained-An-Update-with-Mark-Jacobs.html

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 22, 2015

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I swear to God if Goons don't choose to be Vikings, there is something wrong with them.

More than usual I mean.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

A Tartan Tory posted:

I swear to God if Goons don't choose to be Vikings, there is something wrong with them.

More than usual I mean.

Everyone is going Vikings. gently caress that.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Can we at least be the weird druid people instead of the Arthurian knockoffs? :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Erev posted:

Everyone is going Vikings. gently caress that.

Thank god.

If any of you fuckers want to be any other faction we are raiding you to kingdom come forever. No goon truces. Vikings or bust.

• Locked thread