Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yeah, I've hit the point in the game where defusing the mines is literally the only thing left to do besides all the weird little Encounters missions ("do a bunch of sweet jumps out in the middle of the desert where no one can see you, for some scrap!" Why don't I just say I did and you give me the scrap, pal.) and I just can't bring myself to want to do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

One of my final minefield defusals was entertaining, a group of Roadkill rolled up on me mid-defusal and decided to start some poo poo. I was like "Jesus Christ guys, this is a MINEFIELD, can we hash this out elsewh--" and then one of them hit a mine and exploded. And then I was fist-fighting a couple assholes in a LIVE MINEFIELD, knowing any misstep or clever evade roll could end me.

That almost made all the mine defusal bullshit worthwhile.

Almost.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
Has there been any word on mods or a modding community springing up for this game? Considering the extensive Just Cause 2 modding scene my hopes are high we'll see some cool stuff for Mad Max. Cursory Google searches so far have just yielded old Mad Max mods for Fallout 3.

Wishlist for modded content:
1.) More convoy missions and combat.
2.) More vehicles and more varied types of vehicles in the convoys
3.) Respawning/Higher scrap yield/timed convoy missions

Basically I want more of what made this game cool, convoys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwaygKjs2fI

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's quite impossible to mod because of the way the engine stores world info.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lazlow posted:

Whoever decided that defusing 93 mines in this game would be fun just needs to never be allowed to make games anymore

Armor up the opus and just roar through them. Goes so much faster.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
This game made me want to replay Farcry 2, which was another fantastic open-world game with immersion out the rear end.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Segmentation Fault posted:

This game made me want to replay Farcry 2, which was another fantastic open-world game with immersion out the rear end.

MY BROTHER.

Yes, Far Cry 2 is awesome, once you learn to make allowances for the worst save system in the history of forever. The gradually rusting guns that jam more frequently over time being my particular favourite. Once I was in a desperate firefight with some dudes (no minimap to highlight them), and the battered old AK I had just picked up literally fell to pieces in my hands. It. was. Amazing.

A flawed game indeed, but one of the absolute purist and most immersive sandbox experiences ever created. When it's good, it's sublime.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

MY BROTHER.

Yes, Far Cry 2 is awesome, once you learn to make allowances for the worst save system in the history of forever. The gradually rusting guns that jam more frequently over time being my particular favourite. Once I was in a desperate firefight with some dudes (no minimap to highlight them), and the battered old AK I had just picked up literally fell to pieces in my hands. It. was. Amazing.

A flawed game indeed, but one of the absolute purist and most immersive sandbox experiences ever created. When it's good, it's sublime.

I like it a lot more than Farcry 3 honestly. A lot of the game mechanics are a lot more organic; the map is a thing you hold in your hand rather than a screen, the monocular lets you spot things but it doesn't create floating hud markers like the binoculars in 3, the HUD disappears unless you reload or heal yourself, etc. I got a SweetFX package to bring some color out and a mod to change the balance a bit, and the game is wonderful once you get in the habit of quicksaving.

One of my favorite all-time games is Deus Ex, the game that will unceremoniously drop you to the title screen with no way back if you die halfway through the game without saving once, so I can tolerate mid-90s saving paradigms.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Mokinokaro posted:

Armor up the opus and just roar through them. Goes so much faster.

I tried this in the beginning but with my terrible sense of direction and with the minefields being fairly big, each took me about 10-15 minutes of aimlessly driving around a small patch of desert :smith: so in the end I bit the bullet and grabbed the buggy. Took me an hour to finish up the remaining ~14 minefields with a map guide. Got to enjoy a lot of scenery while driving to them, too.

Of course they really should've implemented a GTA V-style fetch-me-my-car flare gun upgrade in the first place.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Too bad about those checkpoints that respawn so frequently. :v:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Segmentation Fault posted:

I like it a lot more than Farcry 3 honestly. A lot of the game mechanics are a lot more organic; the map is a thing you hold in your hand rather than a screen, the monocular lets you spot things but it doesn't create floating hud markers like the binoculars in 3, the HUD disappears unless you reload or heal yourself, etc. I got a SweetFX package to bring some color out and a mod to change the balance a bit, and the game is wonderful once you get in the habit of quicksaving.

One of my favorite all-time games is Deus Ex, the game that will unceremoniously drop you to the title screen with no way back if you die halfway through the game without saving once, so I can tolerate mid-90s saving paradigms.

Far Cry 3... I had to give up on it after a few hours. Pausing to see the map, a minimap cluttered with a gazillion markers begging for attention, the same couple of healing animations rather than the myriad in FC2, seeing people through walls AND on the minimap, invisible walls, being able to carry far too many weapons (which never broke), an ugly world with no variety, animals that don't flinch when you shoot them so their charge still carries them into you...

I wanted a fixed Far Cry 2, instead it got Ubisofted into a generic mess. Man, just one patch for FC2, just let me respawn at the closest safehouse with any collectibles/marked checkpoints since the last save kept. That's all it needed.

A game you have to learn to love, but my god it rewards. Again, a game in which you could create your own moments of greatness. Dawn, on a lake. Heavy mist rolls across the water as I ride a boat towards an encampment on the opposite shore. I cut the engine, gliding forward on inertia only, and mount the bow machine gun. Sleepy-eyed guards standing around the base of the cliff are cut down in a sudden hail of bullets, and up on the ridge reinforcements stand to as my boat thuds against the shore. I leap out and fight my way up the hillside, my very own Omaha Beach moment. Just one of the best moments in a shooter I've ever had.

No apologies for the derail, because Far Cry 2 contains greatness underneath that flawed exterior.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Too bad about those checkpoints that respawn so frequently. :v:

This is pretty much the reason why I stopped playing it at some point. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any mods that fix that.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, at least one of the Archangels is a reference to an AC/DC song - The Jack. There are already well-known AC/DC references in the films (I'm a rocker, I'm a roller!). I don't have the time or AC/DC knowledge to really comb through them, but I bet some or all of the rest of the archangels are either direct or oblique AC/DC references.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 22, 2015

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

evil_bunnY posted:

It's quite impossible to mod because of the way the engine stores world info.

Welp that kills my hopes for replayability.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, at least one of the Archangels is a reference to an AC/DC song - The Jack. There are already well-known AC/DC references in the films (I'm a rocker, I'm a roller!). I don't have the time or AC/DC knowledge to really comb through them, but I bet some or all of the rest of the archangels are either direct or oblique AC/DC references.

Is it not just a reference to it being the jack of all trades?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

Is it not just a reference to it being the jack of all trades?

Could be? But the series has been known to reference AC/DC before.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Bruteman posted:

I just got that last night. Still waiting to find the Shirley one.

Did the Gastown race - wasn't that bad, enjoyed the fighting afterwards. Holy hell, that dream sequence... dinki-di :stare:

It's some hot bullshit that the dream sequence outfits aren't unlockable.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Parkingtigers posted:

Far Cry 3... I had to give up on it after a few hours. Pausing to see the map, a minimap cluttered with a gazillion markers begging for attention, the same couple of healing animations rather than the myriad in FC2, seeing people through walls AND on the minimap, invisible walls, being able to carry far too many weapons (which never broke), an ugly world with no variety, animals that don't flinch when you shoot them so their charge still carries them into you...

I wanted a fixed Far Cry 2, instead it got Ubisofted into a generic mess. Man, just one patch for FC2, just let me respawn at the closest safehouse with any collectibles/marked checkpoints since the last save kept. That's all it needed.

A game you have to learn to love, but my god it rewards. Again, a game in which you could create your own moments of greatness. Dawn, on a lake. Heavy mist rolls across the water as I ride a boat towards an encampment on the opposite shore. I cut the engine, gliding forward on inertia only, and mount the bow machine gun. Sleepy-eyed guards standing around the base of the cliff are cut down in a sudden hail of bullets, and up on the ridge reinforcements stand to as my boat thuds against the shore. I leap out and fight my way up the hillside, my very own Omaha Beach moment. Just one of the best moments in a shooter I've ever had.

No apologies for the derail, because Far Cry 2 contains greatness underneath that flawed exterior.

Yeah FC3 was just the living embodiment of "wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle". This big wide island-world of conveniently red-team-vs-blue-team nonsense dotted with various mini-game nibbles and yet the game CONSTANTLY tries to herd you into quests about going HERE and remembering to do THAT. The interface was hot garbage and the menus were a chore to navigate (albeit Mad Max's menus are clunky at times too).

From the moment you are forced to unlock your first arsenal there was basically no challenge to the game and the wildlife was cranked up to "11" so you could hardly ambush an outpost without some Komodo dragon or tiger mindlessly kamikaze'ing on NPCs.

Which is funny because it could probably be argued that Mad Max is similarly ocean wide, puddle deep and yet it feels like such a better game than FC3/4. It's just so much more satisfying to fight and explore in.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Counterpoint: FC3 gave us Blood Dragon, so it's okay in my book. :hellyeah:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Xenomrph posted:

Counterpoint: FC3 gave us Blood Dragon, so it's okay in my book. :hellyeah:

Blood Dragon was Ubisoft's personal apology to me, which I accepted graciously. Owned.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Counterpoint, malaria made you stop doing fun things to go do a boring thing and you had to drive for loving ages to get anything done. I'm glad far cry 3 put everything within like 2 minutes of a fast travel point imo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

dogstile posted:

Counterpoint, malaria made you stop doing fun things to go do a boring thing and you had to drive for loving ages to get anything done. I'm glad far cry 3 put everything within like 2 minutes of a fast travel point imo.

lol if you didn't keep yourself topped up on malaria pills by doing the resistance missions

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010

dogstile posted:

wasn't that scripted to only happen like 2 times max per side of the map?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Well the E3 trailer played Hells Bells.
https://youtu.be/j_KC8H07vfo

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

drunkill posted:

Well the E3 trailer played Hells Bells.
https://youtu.be/j_KC8H07vfo

Jesus, I had no idea that trailer existed. That owns.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Mental Midget posted:

Has there been any word on mods or a modding community springing up for this game? Considering the extensive Just Cause 2 modding scene my hopes are high we'll see some cool stuff for Mad Max. Cursory Google searches so far have just yielded old Mad Max mods for Fallout 3.
Yes, I'm slowly working on tools when I have free time. Much research has currently been going into the scripting engine.

Mac Con
Apr 23, 2014

gibbed posted:

Yes, I'm slowly working on tools when I have free time. Much research has currently been going into the scripting engine.

That's awesome to hear, thanks. Is it as big a nightmare as people were saying at first? This is one of the few games that would inspire me to get modding again, as only a few hopefully simple changes would help it a ton.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Graevling posted:

wasn't that scripted to only happen like 2 times max per side of the map?

No idea, all I know is I ran out and it made me do some boring as hell mission instead of the fun ones.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Man, this is a special game. It has some utterly amazing experiences, but at the same time it feels like GTA 4 in that it's a huge world with so little of substance. I've beat it, and it it's just empty now. Still, it feels good to drive around while listening to music or podcasts.

And this is probably kind of personal, but gently caress it: I started playing this game on the way down a pretty deep and awful depressive episode, worst I've had in many years, and it reached its nadir just when (major story spoilers) Glory and Hope were killed. And so I realized that I was pretty much as empty as I could be when I killed Chumbucket and left the snowglobe behind, just like Max, and it's the weirdest loving experience ever. I'm usually very concerned with being the good guy in games, at least where I have the choice.

I don't regret playing the game at all, and in a way, it was a unique experience in that my state of mind were mirrored by the emptiness and pointlessness of the game, both in terms of story (in a positive way) and gameplay (in a negative way, I want more mission, more actual unique gameplay). All the noise, all the brutality of the fighting, all the murder and blood and poo poo meant nothing. Just stimuli to keep me going because I needed something to do.

loving weird, but worth it. It's an amazing game in many ways, and in many ways it's very weak. But at the end of the day, it's good.

But gently caress mines.

RealSovietBear posted:

I kind of wish this was an official trailer for the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9TAUdZySQM

Makes it look quite amazing.

Yeah, this game has the ability to be perfectly beautiful in its desolation. Possibly the prettiest game I've ever played.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Black Griffon posted:

But gently caress mines.

How did they manage to survive playtesting without someone saying, "This feature is not fun and barely qualifies as a minigame."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

more friedman units posted:

How did they manage to survive playtesting without someone saying, "This feature is not fun and barely qualifies as a minigame."

Hah, playtesting, that's cute.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

gibbed posted:

Bless you this day

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

more friedman units posted:

Someone probably kept complaining "WHY WOULD THEY KEEP THE DOG AND NOT EAT HIM" and they had to come up with some convoluted means to get ammo and have the dog be useful outside of something Max cares about.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

gibbed posted:

You are a loving legend. This makes me so happy :allears:

Also, did the trick to start a new game with the iconic jacket and shotgun, worked flawlessly. Looks like I'm gonna have to do a second playthrough now, seeing as how it's already started and it'd be a shame to let it go to waste :v:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

gibbed posted:

Yessssss.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

gibbed posted:

Oh poo poo son... Bow down to the one who can bend the (Mad Max) engine to his will! :worship:

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Powershift posted:

Hah, playtesting, that's cute.

Even the dev team, though! How does anybody do even a few minefields without getting bored with it?

Crabtree posted:

Someone probably kept complaining "WHY WOULD THEY KEEP THE DOG AND NOT EAT HIM" and they had to come up with some convoluted means to get ammo and have the dog be useful outside of something Max cares about.

Wait, did Scrotus train his dog to detect mines?! You've got to give the guy credit, he had vision before he took a chainsaw to the brain.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah, this game has the ability to be perfectly beautiful in its desolation. Possibly the prettiest game I've ever played.

Christ, thats an excellent trailer. Any one of those scenes would make an amazing wallpaper. Especially the black on black sitting in the desert. :swoon:

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Meta-Mollusk posted:

This is pretty much the reason why I stopped playing it at some point. Too bad there doesn't seem to be any mods that fix that.

Well actually......
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dylans-far-cry-2-realism-mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gibbed posted:

Oh that sounds so much better than last time I looked into this! :]

• Locked thread