Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Vice Grip is a pretty good song for what it is, but yeah, this is not what I want from Parkway Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I actually found an interview yesterday about recording Ire, they apparently all sat down and agreed they deliberately didn't want to write another "metalcore Parkway record" and do something different. Well, mission accomplished, I guess!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

I actually found an interview yesterday about recording Ire, they apparently all sat down and agreed they deliberately didn't want to write another "metalcore Parkway record" and do something different. Well, mission accomplished, I guess!

Yeah it's been a running theme if you've been paying attention to all the interviews/Q&A's they've been giving so I saw it coming from a mile away. Like I said, I'm waiting until Friday when the album is up on Google Music to listen to it and will reserve judgment until then. I can already see how this will play out though; fanbase will push back and they'll have a "return to our roots" album in three years or something like that.

I've got tickets to see them at The Paramount on Long Island in November. I'm guessing the songs they wrote for IRE will translate better live than on the album if they're really more anthemic/arena rocky.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I'm really glad Architects and Thy Art Is Murder are supporting them on their European dates.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I'm a huge advocate for Parkway releasing a non-metalcore album but I'd really hoped it'd also be non-poo poo. Oh well.

I've never been a big fan but I've always thought they seemed like a great thrash/melodeath band making mediocre metalcore albums. Deep Blue was so close to being a fantastic album but it's held back by its over-reliance on the old 'core trappings that just aren't executed very well. Like, take Deadweight for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxlPQ1zHxOc

The riffs are uniformly great & Winston's vocals are ridiculous but the breakdowns have been done better thousands of times by hundreds of other bands. Essentially the exact same breakdown shows up twice and eats up about a third of the runtime. I've got no issues with gratuitous breakdowns if they're actually good, but it's an uninteresting breakdown made worse by the fact that everything surrounding it actually rules. Pretty much every song on the album has the same issue and it's frustrating because there's so much I like about the band but they always manage to find a way to bore the gently caress out of me.

But hey at least they never sounded like King 810 before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAFJk-NytBE

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've got tickets to see them at The Paramount on Long Island in November. I'm guessing the songs they wrote for IRE will translate better live than on the album if they're really more anthemic/arena rocky.

I'm going to see them this Friday, so I'll let you know! I've always enjoyed them much more live than on CD anyway so I'm sure the new songs should be enjoyable live.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So yeah, new Black Dahlia Murder is their best one since Nocturnal imo. Absolutely rips.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Okay I guess I will check out the new Black Dahlia to see how wrong you guys are. Wish me luck.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So yeah, new Black Dahlia Murder is their best one since Nocturnal imo. Absolutely rips.

real talk here, i've been spinning it non-stop since it leaked a month ago

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

Okay I guess I will check out the new Black Dahlia to see how wrong you guys are. Wish me luck.

Did it blow your dick off yet

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Did it blow your dick off yet

I listened to probably about half of it last night. It doesn't suck, but it's almost literally the same poo poo they've written over the last, what, 13 albums? That's an obvious exaggeration, but they really just write the same songs over and over. Threat Level No. 3 stood out as having a few awesome parts but the rest of it is highly forgettable.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

ShoogaSlim posted:

I listened to probably about half of it last night. It doesn't suck, but it's almost literally the same poo poo they've written over the last, what, 13 albums? That's an obvious exaggeration, but they really just write the same songs over and over. Threat Level No. 3 stood out as having a few awesome parts but the rest of it is highly forgettable.

TBDM and this album both own but I can totally see where you are coming from. Ritual is their only record that I listen to very regularly.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

tbdm is pretty much the dark tranquility of not-gothenburg melodeath, consistently good releases but its literally the same poo poo over and over

but i aint mad cause the poo poo is real good

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TheIllestVillain posted:

tbdm is pretty much the dark tranquility of not-gothenburg melodeath, consistently good releases but its literally the same poo poo over and over

but i aint mad cause the poo poo is real good

With how fans are reacting to new Parkway who could blame them for not changing? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My best friend from high school just put out a record with a studio-only duo where he does vocals, drums and lyrics. It's absolutely not my kind of thing but since I know you guys love breakdowns you might be interested. It's also really short.

https://chugcore.bandcamp.com/album/self-helpless

No, the guest vocalist from Failure is not from that Failure.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 24, 2015

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

But hey at least they never sounded like King 810 before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAFJk-NytBE

Holy poo poo, you were not kidding.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
You know, I don't think the new Parkway is as bad as everyone is making it out to seem. I appreciate them stepping outside their boundaries and trying new poo poo like this. I think the execution leaves a lot to be desired; but it's not a total train-wreck like some people are making it out to be. Overall I think it has it's fair share of good songs/moments, and it's super-obvious that these songs are really aimed towards live play.

So yeah, they tried something new and it didn't quite work out as good as everyone hoped I think. That's cool. At least they tried something new. I like enough tracks on this album that I'm not super-bummed about it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I appreciate them stepping outside their boundaries and trying new poo poo like this.

Whenever metalcore bands "step out of their boundaries" it's to make lame radio rock so that's not really something to applaud.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

i decided to check out the new Atreyu and it's surprisingly not terrible

i thought they had pulled an a7x and committed to making radio rock after 2006 but this new LP isn't a half bad metalcore album

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Gamma Nerd posted:

Whenever metalcore bands "step out of their boundaries" it's to make lame radio rock so that's not really something to applaud.

I can think of a few metalcore bands who went the other route and did poo poo that would never get on radio when they decided to change it up.

When BTBAM did Colors I don't think anyone saw that poo poo coming.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I can think of a few metalcore bands who went the other route and did poo poo that would never get on radio when they decided to change it up.

Really? Colors is a pretty logical step forward from Alaska. It might be weird listening to the s/t and Coma Ecliptic back-to-back, but BTBAM's progression has been pretty easy to follow.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

To me, Parkway pulled an All That Remains. Good for them going for radio play. I hate the new sound. IRE won't end up in my collection, but all of the rest of PWD will be there forever.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well yeah the bands that go prog are the exceptions but mainstream metalcore bands never go prog when they "expand their boundaries". BTBAM always had some artsiness from TSC onwards. From Colors onwards I consider them more of a prog metal band than a metalcore one, the riffing and songwriting has more to do with Dream Theater and Mr. Bungle than it does with 00's core.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wamsutta posted:

To me, Parkway pulled an All That Remains. Good for them going for radio play. I hate the new sound. IRE won't end up in my collection, but all of the rest of PWD will be there forever.

I think it's much, much better than ATR's turn. Reminds me of Trivium's last album in that it's definitely simplified (or dumbed down if you wanna look at it like that) and aimed at live play, but it's still a metal album. ATR has gone straight up godsmack bro rock.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The fact that an always-has-been-lovely band like Parkway Drive is even being discussed still is beyond me.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Trip report:

Saw Parkway Drive last night with 'The Word Alive', 'Memphis May Fire' and Thy Art is Murder last night and the place was completely full and a sell out.

The Word Alive They were a little boring to be honest, I didn't really enjoy them all that much.

Memphis May Fire Only played for around 25-30 minutes and were better and had some good songs and some not so good songs.

Thy Art is Murder Obviously pretty different to the other 3 bands and to be honest not my kind of thing but the crowd seemed to love them.

Parkway Drive They started with two new songs that I hadn't heard before, which were ok but I'm not sure of the name of them. From there though they went straight into old classics, (carrion, Romance is Dead, Karma, Deliver Me, Dark Days etc) which sounded as good as ever. They were really good and really know how to make a crowd full of people get involved and sing every word. Vice Grip in all honesty was really great live, everyone already knew the words (not that there are many) but the crowd loved it and it sounded really really good live. The other new songs were Bottomfeeder(sounds great live) and Crushed. All in all, if you already like Parkway not much has changed to be honest, they have some new songs but they are still the same old Parkway (live anyway) and the new album sounds great live!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Cloud the Cat posted:

Parkway Drive They started with two new songs that I hadn't heard before, which were ok but I'm not sure of the name of them. From there though they went straight into old classics, (carrion, Romance is Dead, Karma, Deliver Me, Dark Days etc) which sounded as good as ever. They were really good and really know how to make a crowd full of people get involved and sing every word. Vice Grip in all honesty was really great live, everyone already knew the words (not that there are many) but the crowd loved it and it sounded really really good live. The other new songs were Bottomfeeder(sounds great live) and Crushed. All in all, if you already like Parkway not much has changed to be honest, they have some new songs but they are still the same old Parkway (live anyway) and the new album sounds great live!

Yeah this is pretty much what I expected. New album was pretty clearly made for live play since you probably won't have as much of a "wall of sound that all sounds the same only I've listened to this song 100 times so I know what it is" vibe to it.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
A new Faceless tune has landed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Zj9LpJK8Y

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
The Faceless really suck and that song's production is bad enough on its own without taking the totally pointless tribal interlude and Cynic-worship sections into consideration

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I really didn't think it was that bad :shrug:

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

The new Fit for an Autopsy LP is streaming here.

Definitely worth checking out, it's pretty sick

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Kumbamontu posted:

I really didn't think it was that bad :shrug:

I mean if you like The Faceless there's nothing wrong with that song but I hate them an irrational amount so yeah

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Faceless suck

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
So

Trivium's new album features no harsh vocals whatsoever.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't their last one have none too? I wouldn't know because I listened to it once and tried to forget it. Vengeance Falls was easily worst album of 2013 for me at least in terms of stuff I was hoping to like

The new one is.. eh. Track 4 sounds like something off a Fear Factory album. The rest sounds like they took the clean parts from In Waves and sorta mashed it together with songwriting from The Crusade and the end result was just not memorable at all. I think Heafy has his head too far up his own rear end to realize his goal of being some bombastic operatic singer just isn't going to work out because his singing voice isn't enough to carry the band

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kumbamontu posted:

Didn't their last one have none too? I wouldn't know because I listened to it once and tried to forget it. Vengeance Falls was easily worst album of 2013 for me at least in terms of stuff I was hoping to like

The new one is.. eh. Track 4 sounds like something off a Fear Factory album. The rest sounds like they took the clean parts from In Waves and sorta mashed it together with songwriting from The Crusade and the end result was just not memorable at all. I think Heafy has his head too far up his own rear end to realize his goal of being some bombastic operatic singer just isn't going to work out because his singing voice isn't enough to carry the band

Vengeance Falls had harsh vocals, and imo was actually a good album. Better than In Waves. I've only listened to a few tracks from the new one and they're definitely going for a "classic" metal thing. Doesn't really sound like they can pull it off though. I've gotta listen to the whole thing a few times before I make up my mind about it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I'm the only person on Earth who enjoyed In Waves. I think it's their best album by a pretty big margin

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Ehh I'd probably say 2nd best but that may just be due to Ascendancy nostalgia. But yeah In Waves was surprisingly solid, I feel like it's the only album since Ascendancy where they weren't trying too hard and coming up short. The Crusade tried too hard to be a thrash album and ended up poo poo. Shogun tried too hard to be progressive and ended up poo poo. Vengeance Falls tried too hard to be poo poo and ended up being a David Draiman album.

In Waves was just straightforward radio-metal with no frills and no overreaching which is refreshing since Matt Heafy's ego is consistently the worst thing about the band.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
It's sad because Trivium could have been really, really great. I remember a show I went to before they were getting big that was maybe a month or two after Like Light to the Flies was featured on a Headbanger's Ball cd I think back in '04 or so, and he was out selling merch and looked absolutely dumbfounded when my buddy asked for his autograph. He didn't have anything to sign with, so we walked out of the venue, grabbed a sharpie marker from the security guys up front, and went back in and Heafy's jaw dropped that someone went through the effort. It's like all of that went to his head and now :(

But I really liked everything up to and including The Crusade, Shogun missed the mark for me, but then In Waves came and I was so happy! And then Vengeance Falls came and ruined everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Actually Shogun is loving awesome. Masterpiece of an album.