Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Slow is Fast posted:

The biggest thing is keeping a shell clean and anything hosed bolt on bolt off replace with a nice example.

That's my intention with my current project and (hopefully) eventual DD. The body is aluminum so autobody rust repair can go gently caress off forever. All the steel parts are going to be cleaned up or replaced with stainless/rust free replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I just moved out to the rockies with my dad's old 2004 outback. It's got fist sized rust holes in front and back of the rear wheel wells. I don't think I saw one late 90s/early 00s subaru in MN without similar rust spots.

I haven't seen a single rusted subaru since I moved out here. It's heartbreaking and fills me with jealous rage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

What's rust?

I kid - we get a little here in Texas, but nothing like the sea bottom New England experience, unless you happen to live right on the Gulf Coast. Then it's amazing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A lot more jeep parts left last night. Pair of XJ axles and a bunch of gear install stuff I was going to do for a friend, but just plain never had time to do. Fortunately he was busy as hell too, so the delay allegedly wasn't an issue, and they're going to a local shop that isn't overbooked to hell instead.

This took a lot longer than expected because it involved reviving not one but two dead jeeps in the junkyard I call a yard. Why? The dead white MJ (with its crane attachment) was parked in by the dead red XJ. Both had flat tires and no batteries.

First: revive XJ
Step 1 install battery. Try to crank for a while, realize it's not going to crank at all. WTF? It ran when parked! :haw: And the starter is new!
Step 2 remember I pulled the NSS bypass/reverse lamp adapter harness out of it to show a friend on facebook how I wired it. Which keeps the starter from engaging. :downs:
Step 3 jump the NSS connector with a random piece of wire, hey it cranks and moves now. Drive that one into the underbrush in the corner of the yard... steal the battery because it's going in the MJ next! :banjo:

Second: revive MJ
Step 1 install battery. Try to start - it doesn't even make a sound. WTF? It ran when parked!
Step 2 check battery wiring and realize that like a dumbass, I left the heavy positive lead from the starter to the battery disconnected when I put the battery back in, so it wasn't going to work. Fix that. It starts on the first turn of the key now!
Step 2 drive around like a blind bull in a china shop, lift axles with crane, deposit them on the trailer. Only drive into and over a few things in the process, none of them important.

Fin.

Hopefully a lot more unwanted jeep parts will disappear over the next few days. Anyone in the central mass area and need XJ parts? I'm firesaling anything I don't have definite plans for. By firesaling I mean show up and it's probably yours for free or 10-20 bucks depending on what it is.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Seems like a potential roadkill episode. Show up at kastein's place with a case of beer and build a jeep out of spare parts before hitting the trails.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Galler posted:

Seems like a potential roadkill episode. Show up at kastein's place with a case of beer and build a jeep out of spare parts before hitting the trails.

Too easy. There's multiples of everything.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea thats like a normal day at the kastein ranch.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
No joke I have found three NP231s worth of parts and another whole parts unit as well as two whole ones, a dana 300, a chevy BW4405, and two dodge NP241s so far, between the basement, bedroom, spare bedroom, kitchen, and yard.

Also two AX5s, two AX15s, and an NV4500. And an AW4. And an AX5 worth of parts.

I am not joking when I say there is enough to build a jeep or two here. This is why I am usually the one who fields the inevitable "help it is 8pm and I need spare parts" calls.

Hoping to fix the blue MJ a bit more when it cools off some.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

kastein posted:

Hoping to fix the blue MJ a bit more when it cools off some.

A month later. "Blue MJ is buried in snow up to the hood, will fix it when it warms up some."

Goddamn New England.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It will be buried in leaves for a while somewhere in between :v:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

kastein posted:

It will be buried in leaves for a while somewhere in between :v:

Don't forget salt for a few months.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh yeah.

While cleaning last night I found an interesting jeep part I forgot I owned. (news at 11...)

Part number is 56047066AC. It's the locker switch for an 03-06 Rubicon. The mounting looks strangely familiar...

So I grabbed an old 2-hole aux switch panel out of the red turd XJ. Sure enough, it's the same basic dimensions, though some things had to be clearanced to fit the larger housing. Looks like I'm using a factory Rubicon locker switch in the next offroad MJ if I ever do a 97+ interior conversion, because this is too polished looking to resist and I already have it.

In case anyone else wants to, here's the pinout:
1 BK ground
2 OR/BK panel lamp dimmer
3 YL/BR fused B+ supply
4 VT/OR "locker enable signal 1"
5 VT/LB "locker enable signal 2"
6 VT/LG "rear locker request"
7 VT/DB "front locker request"
8 NC

The connector shell required is a TE 173850. Locker enable signal 1 should be grounded by the vehicle when 4x4 is enabled and Locker enable signal 2 should be grounded when traveling at a low enough speed that locker use is safe. Or just ground both if you want to be able to use the lockers at any speed in any gear range. The locker request outputs are low current relay drives that are grounded by the switch to enable the relays for either air compressors/air valves for the lockers, or in the case of an electronic locker, enable the relays that drive the locker windings directly.

The whole thing is built around a SOIC-8 package PIC12C509, so if you don't like the functionality, you can always substitute one you programmed with like 5 minutes of soldering. I'm not sure I like the way the switch works (no way to turn just the front locker on) so I may redo it, there are two pushbuttons internally one for up and one for down toggle, so it should be easy to just have it set up for push-on-push-off up for front locker and down for rear.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 3, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

I am not joking when I say there is enough to build a jeep or two here. This is why I am usually the one who fields the inevitable "help it is 8pm and I need spare parts" calls.

Well there's your market. Ken's emergency jeep parts. Delivered anywhere, any time, no cliff too steep, no ditch too deep. But it'll cost ya.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
http://www.jeffdanielsjeeps.com is near me, I'm guessing his income is both flipping repaired Jeeps, and doing custom work? NEAI should do a site visit to compare spare parts collections.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Alarbus posted:

http://www.jeffdanielsjeeps.com is near me, I'm guessing his income is both flipping repaired Jeeps, and doing custom work? NEAI should do a site visit to compare spare parts collections.

Wow, that's a terrible website. I expected worse, tbh.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea thats like a normal day at the kastein ranch.

I think the proper nomenclature is "compound" :banjo: :jihad:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Wow, that's a terrible website. I expected worse, tbh.

I sure do love me a website with loud, unmutable sound effects.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I think the proper nomenclature is "compound" :banjo: :jihad:

"Hellhole" is more accurate, due to my work schedule, large number of projects, small amount of time, and ongoing construction and demolition.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A while ago I harassed Seat Safety Switch into going junkyarding and pillaging a Justy I needed some things off of. It was near him in Alberta so I certainly wasn't going to get there in time.

He got me:
- 1 gas cap (I now have several spares, which is a good thing if 14's experience is anything to go by)
- 2 tail lights in great shape! (I am rapidly amassing a Justy tail light collection nearly as big as my MJ tail light collection.)
- 1 rear left seatbelt assembly! (this is what I was most interested in getting)
- 1 rear left seatbelt cover / parcel shelf support! (also very interested in this)
- 1 rear left seatback, in excellent shape! (also needed this badly)

As luck would have it, I had finally found a parcel shelf in alright condition for FREE at a local yard some weeks ago.

My treasures arrived via UPS while I was at work last week. They were unpacked, drooled over, and then stashed until yesterday.

Proper seatbelt, seatbelt cover, and parcel shelf installed:

What are those silly cords for? This is what they're for. Makes it easier to load all your bulky, super heavy cargo into the trunk.

I really need to straighten and brace the parcel shelf since it sagged while exposed to water in the junkyard but other than that it's in pretty great shape for a 25+ year old piece of fiberboard or FRP.

Oh. Why does this all need to change in the rear left corner? Because my car's rear seatbacks were trashed (sun cracked vinyl) and it came with no rear seatbelts for Reasons. And the junkyard donor I used was a 2 door, while mine is a 4 door. It turns out that the way they changed the chassis design for the fuel fill neck (which is in front of the wheel well on 2 doors, but had to be moved behind the wheel well on 4 doors) required a different rear seat-bottom, rear left seatback, rear left interior trim panel, rear left seatbelt, rear left seatbelt cover, and a few other things, plus a whole different fill neck. I'm unfortunately missing the rear seat bottom because I didn't realize they were different and didn't ask SSS to get it, but it probably would have been insanely expensive to ship anyways and mine is in reasonableish condition, I just have to take the cover off, resew a few seams that the stitching fell out of, and put it back in. In the meantime I have the 2 door one from the justycycle project guy's parts collection in my car and it's only got one difference that isn't visible as long as the rear left door is left closed so whatever it is fine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Whoa it looks good.

Slung Blade drove and did a bunch of wrench-turning so he should definitely get some serious credit. It was a good day out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It looks like if you reinforce the parcel shelf a bit you could actually ghetto store flat things on top of it if you really needed to.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Geirskogul posted:

It looks like if you reinforce the parcel shelf a bit you could actually ghetto store flat things on top of it if you really needed to.

I'm already imagining a frame for that shelf made of steel rectangular tubing. :black101:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Sandbagger SA posted:

I'm already imagining a frame for that shelf made of steel rectangular tubing. :black101:

I used aluminum angle to shore up a similar cargo cover in my RX-7. I had to do it both fore and aft as well as side-to-side. Of course, it has a bunch of screw heads showing on the top now, but they're the flat washer head Philips type of sharp-shooter screws (typically used to screw together steel studs in business interior construction.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Some things showed up from Memphis Equipment for the 5 ton.

They even included a pair of parts catalogs, probably guessing that if I had them I would order more things. They were probably right.

Contents:
- 6 new injectors with crush washers
- a bit of low pressure fuel return line, since mine was hosed up
- a bunch of compression fitting rings for the fuel line
- a bunch of compression fitting nuts for the fuel line
- a few gaskets I lost

Hoping to have it back together in a weekend or two.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 22, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

Hoping to have it back together in a weekend or two.

OMG yesssss. I dont think Ive ever heard it run in person.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's gonna be really weird going from the Justy to the 5-ton.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's gonna be really weird going from the Justy to the 5-ton.

Well, how hard is it to climb into the cab after you park in the bed?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart Pipe posted:

OMG yesssss. I dont think Ive ever heard it run in person.

Take all your pots and pans, and throw them down the stairs.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
To simulate the transmission shift, take your computer microphone and record yourself jangling your keys, then slow it down 40x.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's more like shaking a wooden box full of billiard balls TBH.

Unlikely that it'll be registered or insured in the near future so it will probably mostly sit, but I have a few things I need to get done around the house and yard that require heavier lifting than the MJ can provide. And I don't want the engine sitting open any longer than it already has, which has already been too long.

Also the Justy and 5 ton accelerate about the same (great up to 7mph, snoozefest after that) so they are more similar than you would think :haw:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

It's more like shaking a wooden box full of billiard balls TBH.

Unlikely that it'll be registered or insured in the near future so it will probably mostly sit, but I have a few things I need to get done around the house and yard that require heavier lifting than the MJ can provide. And I don't want the engine sitting open any longer than it already has, which has already been too long.

Also the Justy and 5 ton accelerate about the same (great up to 7mph, snoozefest after that) so they are more similar than you would think :haw:

Yea, except the 5 ton could idle over a cop car, and the justy would stall without even scratching the paint.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Whoa it looks good.

Slung Blade drove and did a bunch of wrench-turning so he should definitely get some serious credit. It was a good day out.

First time I've ever been to a proper junkyard too. It was super fun, I'll go again anytime.

Glad the parts got there in good shape as well. The kindly gent running the UPS store must have done a good job after we wheeled a shopping cart full of parts into his business.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

[...] The kindly gent running the UPS store must have done a good job after we wheeled a shopping cart full of parts into his business.

A stolen shopping cart.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

A stolen shopping cart.

It was public domain :colbert:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 24, 2015

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

A stolen shopping cart.

A stolen liquor store shopping cart, iirc.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Slung Blade posted:

Fuckin greasy.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Fuckin greasy.

Welcome to Alberta. Grease (and other petroproduct) capital of Canada.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

It wasn't even from the liquor store that we found it in front of, but a rival chain across the road.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Behold the Yardmaster.

We were using the old seats from a Roadmaster as bonfire seating but they kept digging into the ground and tipping over backward.

So I threw together a quick base for them. Need to mount a 6-pack holder in the middle ahead of the seats, and wire up the seat controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elektrotechnik
Sep 7, 2012
Haha Awesome. Thats a substantial upgrade from the XJ rocking chairs