Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I was excited for them to get on the road and have road adventures as they get to the desert all the while things getting more grim and the car radio playing updates from the cities... But what do I know, I'm no professional.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Did they ever say it was Los Angeles, CA and not Los Angeles, TX?? Just throwing that out there....

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

a cop posted:

Society crumbling. It went from a riot -> abandoned LA ridiculously fast.

But they are still in la.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

steinrokkan posted:

The part in which LA became a ghost town.

Yeah. And I get that the military is probably being dishonest and we know everyone out there isn't dead, but it still feels like a really bad "tell, don't show" moment. I liked the way the first three episodes felt like one long, crazy night.

That said I actually thought the over the top rear end in a top hat army man was funny. I like the hammy parts of Walking Dead and this guy was the right level of dumb for me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did you see the part where they showed you what happened in the non refugee parts of la.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

euphronius posted:

Did you see the part where they showed you what happened in the non refugee parts of la.

They showed the aftermath, not what happened. I wanted to see how society got to that point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can you not draw a reasonable inference from the information that was provided to you.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

euphronius posted:

Can you not draw a reasonable inference from the information that was provided to you.

Everyone knows what happened, we're told after the fact. I wanted to see (see being the key word) it happen because it would have made for good action, horror, and/or drama. This is a really weird thing to be pedantic about.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Can you stop posting like this.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But there is still tension and drama about whether the army is good or bad. I guess it's the national guard. If they showed you explicitly what happened it would undercut the current dramatic tension which is facing the characters who are only now putting the pieces together for themselves. We the viewers also live in that suburban cul de sac. Basically Giving us the viewer more knowledge that the protagonists would not be a good choice imho.

Also this is assuming it is not addressed later through flashback or the memories of a new character.

(I know we have the knowledge that this is a real zombie apocalypse but that dramatic irony is not interfering with the current drama.)

euphronius fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 22, 2015

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Can you not see how it might be frustrating that they claimed we would see how civilization collapses, set the show in a huge city, and then skipped over a large time period in which the city actually falls apart in favor of Woodbury 2.

euphronius posted:

But there is still tension and drama about whether the army is good or bad. I guess it's the national guard. If they showed you explicitly what happened it would undercut the current dramatic tension which is facing the characters who are only now putting the pieces together for themselves. We the viewers also live in that suburban cul de sac. Basically Giving us the viewer more knowledge that the protagonists would not be a good choice imho.

No there really isn't tension and drama there. They are clearly drawing the military as bad guys with not a hint of the mixed feelings and worries soldiers in that situation would actually possess. Hiding information from the viewers in the Lost vein is a bad move - I suspect it's because they never really thought the scenario out and how things might go down.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 22, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are showing you how society collapses from the point of view of a mixed suburban families. I think it's very effective and resonant.

Also we should probably wait for the finale which usually has the grand cinematic set pieces I think you are wanting?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They aren't clearly drawing them as bad guys. I guess if you typical distrust the military to begin with I could see that.

Also I have no idea what your talking about wrt "hiding" things from the viewer. This isn't a documentary or newscast.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

euphronius posted:

They are showing you how society collapses from the point of view of a mixed suburban families. I think it's very effective and resonant.

Also we should probably wait for the finale which usually has the grand cinematic set pieces I think you are wanting?

That can be a fine story to tell. However, you don't need LA to make that show and the setting feels wasted otherwise. I think AMC went too big on selling the show and then didn't want to spend the budget to fill out the vision they were proclaiming. You may be right on about the finale but I get the sense AMC is as cheap as they can get away with.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

euphronius posted:

It's a valid choice that I'm disappointed in, because I'd rather see Travis and his family enduring a struggle in the city than sitting safe in the cul de sac. Wondering whether the rear end in a top hat army guy is really an rear end in a top hat or not isn't quite as exciting or frightening. I liked the riot stuff in the last two episodes, the chaos at the hospital, etc.

You could also show the army with shades of gray doing both good and evil acts in the days leading up to this. That would be more interesting too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fair enough.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When civilization ends, it ends so fast that you wont be able to see it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

I could draw reasonable interference from the first episode of TWD about both the entire original show and this spin-off, better retroactively cancel everything.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wondered how they were going to cheat us out of the fall. There was no way we'd get massive zombie war or city-destroying riots on a TV budget. I did not expect "society collapses off-camera, watch Monopoly instead," though.

Surlaw posted:

Pretty much nothing listed here was actually confusing if you watched the first.

Which is essentially what I was saying, but I understand how that could be missed in the rush to post "watch better" before anyone else.

Casually watching, you get a vague scene that can be read six different ways. But it was a boring scene. Who ultimately cares why an uninteresting character is killing time wandering around a house?

There's nothing about these protagonists as compelling as the overarching story, but the storytelling is focused on them at the expense of the bigger picture.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It wasn't a vague scene. (It wasn't a good scene either. But people who don't like anything the show's doing shouldn't watch it.)

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 22, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The show is def not a fps tactical shooter of an urban zombie riot that is for sure. I didn't see any marketing but if they said that's what it was going to be i guess I can see being somewhat upset. I assumed it would be like the WD and focus on diverse characters and relationships and religious, philosophical and political themes with some gross out gags.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

euphronius posted:

I assumed it would be like the WD and focus on diverse characters and relationships and religious, philosophical and political themes with some gross out gags.

Then why aren't you annoyed at how they promised things they aren't delivering on?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

Then why aren't you annoyed at how they promised things they aren't delivering on?

Hahahaha.

I am ready for more gross zombie action that is true. I hope the hospital is a horror shop.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

euphronius posted:

The show is def not a fps tactical shooter of an urban zombie riot that is for sure. I didn't see any marketing but if they said that's what it was going to be i guess I can see being somewhat upset. I assumed it would be like the WD and focus on diverse characters and relationships and religious, philosophical and political themes with some gross out gags.

I like those things. I think they could be better explored by showing our characters on the street dealing with the moral ambiguity between police/protesters/the embodiment of death during a major natural disaster than showing them maybe, maybe not trusting the army guy in a currently safe place.

Or do both. Have Madison and the kids in the refugee camp and Travis and the others trapped in a city falling apart. Those parts in #2 and #3 I thought were solid. I don't want "tactical" anything, I want to watch society's collapse from the direct point of view of the ordinary dad character.

Salazar's mistrust of the army and his history are both good and people seem to like him. It's a fine plot for his family. It's not a super interesting one for Travis's.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 22, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

I assumed it would focus on diverse characters and relationships and religious, philosophical and political themes with some gross out gags.

And you are not disappointed because...

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
At the very least they could of had a scene of the family listening to a radio broadcast with the President addressing the nation. There are ways they could of shown the collapse with no budget. Maybe at the very least show the soldiers being exhausted and scared. Maybe have the people in the neighborhood having trouble sleeping because of the constant sound of gunshots, screaming and explosions in the distance.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Gildiss posted:

New thread title please.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Gildiss posted:

Seconding request for new thread title.

This is clearly a Quiet Before The Storm/Budget Redistribution episode, but episodes 5 and 6 are going to have to really go all out to justify the show's existence beyond the cheapest of cash grabs.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I think we're actually going to have to watch Calculon do his taxes instead.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

euphronius posted:

I think you may be trolling. Albeit doing it well.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Gildiss posted:

When civilization ends, it ends off-screen.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gildiss posted:

When civilization ends, it ends off-screen.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Power_of_the_glory posted:

At the very least they could of had a scene of the family listening to a radio broadcast with the President addressing the nation. There are ways they could of shown the collapse with no budget. Maybe at the very least show the soldiers being exhausted and scared. Maybe have the people in the neighborhood having trouble sleeping because of the constant sound of gunshots, screaming and explosions in the distance.

Would have been fun to have them take some Obama footage and edit it to look like he was talking about a horrible plague.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hahahaha that is loving great.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I adore TWD but this show is very meh. I dig the setting but the pace and choices of characters to focuse on confuses me. I'm not really feeling empathy for anger mom and oblivious dad.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
There is literally zero reason for this show to have no budget and the fact that it is still massively popular in spite of that means it won't ever get the big budget it needs. Solid play AMC.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

:thurman:

Tomahawk posted:

There is literally zero reason for this show to have no budget and the fact that it is still massively popular in spite of that means it won't ever get the big budget it needs. Solid play AMC.

I believe these six episodes are filmed in Los Angeles and then next season it moves up to Vancouver. Maybe they'll finally have a budget up there.

That also kills any hope of zombies in the desert.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In TWD, Rick wakes up from a months long coma to find zombies all over the place. Since FTWD is supposed to be the start of the epidemic that means Rick must be in his coma right now, right?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

euphronius posted:

The whole point of this show is to show those parts. This whole show is nothing but inference because what we actually see is retarded Twilight level family drama bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

It'd be one thing if the characters were interesting or the dialogue was entertaining or the drama was compelling. But they're not. "Well why do you watch then", you might ask? Well, sunday is my laundry night, and there's nothing else on before The Strain. So gently caress you!!

• Locked thread