Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

jamal posted:

That is basically what a cobb accessport does. I'm actually a bit surprised that they have not gotten in any trouble over them. Some of the other tuner/reflash companies have been shut down/fined heavily. I guess you just need a "this is for offroad use only" disclaimer?

Offroad use only / track use only disclaimers won't save anyone. It's been tried and the EPA just laughs and fines your rear end anyways. The only way to win is to stay off their radar.

Which is why so far the only people to be busted are companies scamming the rules (heavy diesels in 98, VW right now, a DPF delete + smoke tune company, and an O2 sim maker) in incredibly visible ways. Or on huge numbers of cars.

Cobb? GM Vortec tuner guys? Invidia catless/high flow cat downpipes? Subaru tuners in general? Everyone else? Doing fine so far.

leica posted:

Wow. Countdown to diesel trucks being commercial only as well. All these loving hackers are basically ruining it for everyone else, the EPA is going to crack down so hard no one will want to got through the headaches of owning a diesel anything.

Hackers aren't ruining a god drat thing.

Also I find it hilarious that it was that simple for VW to detect test mode vs real driving and that they got away with it for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

Also I find it hilarious that it was that simple for VW to detect test mode vs real driving and that they got away with it for so long.

It's even more hilarious if you go by Autocar's timeline. Apparently the EPA never actually figured it out and ultimately just said "tell us what's going on or you can't sell diesels in 2016"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Waiting on the call-back from a potentially life-changing interview that you THOUGHT went well is an anxiety gauntlet. Was my suit okay? Did I have boogers in my nose? I'm pretty sure I answered that question correctly, but what-if? Did they like me? Who are the other candidates? My immediate mood once I was out of there was "yeah, nailed it" but now that's faded to "jesus christ, I'm gonna be poor forever." :smithicide:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

:3: Sleep and soberness are over rated. Had an awesome date Thursday night drinking cocktails and talking. About half way through the night she looked at me funny and asked if I had heard of Something Awful...shes a goon

So you immediately :sever:'ed and walked out then?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

Waiting on the call-back from a potentially life-changing interview that you THOUGHT went well is an anxiety gauntlet. Was my suit okay? Did I have boogers in my nose? I'm pretty sure I answered that question correctly, but what-if? Did they like me? Who are the other candidates? My immediate mood once I was out of there was "yeah, nailed it" but now that's faded to "jesus christ, I'm gonna be poor forever." :smithicide:

This is my mood every day working my poo poo job hoping I get a callback for an interview for one of the various jobs I've applied for recently. Never loving happens though since every job is getting a million applicants cause O&G is hosed.

Just keep on drudging through man, something has to turn around at some point :smith:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

NitroSpazzz posted:

:3: Sleep and soberness are over rated. Had an awesome date Thursday night drinking cocktails and talking. About half way through the night she looked at me funny and asked if I had heard of Something Awful...shes a goon

So you're gonna make her an AI Cool Dude, right? :v:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

blk posted:

Lawnmower shopping - Consumer Reports really likes Honda but all the user submitted reviews from people who have owned them 6 months + say they used to be good but are unreliable poo poo now. Anyone have experience in this area?

Pure anecdote but my best buddy bought a $600 Honda mower brand new last year and the first time he fired it up this year it suffered some kind of catastrophic failure where it bent the crank if I recall correctly. He was pissed, threw the whole thing away.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I dated a goon girl once, she stalked all my posts. How's your post/probation history?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

This is my mood every day working my poo poo job hoping I get a callback for an interview for one of the various jobs I've applied for recently. Never loving happens though since every job is getting a million applicants cause O&G is hosed.

Just keep on drudging through man, something has to turn around at some point :smith:
:smith::hf::smith:

The fall-back, mid-life crisis plan for my girlfriend and I once we've finally had enough is "buy a food truck."

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Enourmo posted:

its september
poo poo this year went fast. I didn't think we started the gently caress 2014 stuff too heavily until mid October last year but I'm probably wrong.

Backov posted:

So you immediately :sever:'ed and walked out then?
No then we geeked out about random poo poo that's happened on the forums.

T1g4h posted:

So you're gonna make her an AI Cool Dude, right? :v:
Oh yeah, I'll get right on that. Should have had her submit answers for the sheep game :doh:

LloydDobler posted:

I dated a goon girl once, she stalked all my posts. How's your post/probation history?
Meh good enough. She already knows my account from YLLS and the goon hawaii project thing.

Food in San Fransisco...holy poo poo I'd consider moving out here just for the food. Weather is pretty ideal too.

California people, how is the Monterrey area for a spot to kill some time in over the weekend sitting on a beach?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

Pure anecdote but my best buddy bought a $600 Honda mower brand new last year and the first time he fired it up this year it suffered some kind of catastrophic failure where it bent the crank if I recall correctly. He was pissed, threw the whole thing away.

That's odd. We bought one that was a store return for our beach house and the sales guy checked the oil for us and started the mower. Took it to the beach, mowed 1/4 acre lot. Came back two weeks later, mowed again. Seized solid on the last pass. There was NO oil in it... just assembly lube. Home depot gave us a brand new one that finally 6 years later, has rusted completely through the deck. Turns out I'm the only one who actually took care of it.. Ugh.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fart Pipe posted:

It has a Honda engine but they make a great engine, starts on one pull every time and uses just a tiny amount of gas compared to my old briggs powered mower.

Pretty much anything with a Honda engine starts on the first or second pull and is a fuel miser. I have a troy-bilt push mower from Lowes with a Honda engine and while the rest of the mower is falling apart (this was its sixth season) the engine still runs like new. If it wasn't for running a pressure washer over the weekend I would have finished out the mowing season on a single fill of my 5 gallon gas can.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

blk posted:

Which dealers do you like?

One of the features I really want is a washport - judging by photos, it looks like Hondas don't have those but some Toros do.

The biggest feature I want is never having to borrow my buddy's truck, lugging it into the bed and taking it to the shop because it doesn't work.

My Hustler Zero turn came from Henderson Turf and Equipment off Johnson Creek. I recommend finding someone local to you. My local dealer has been awesome, but that's a bit of a trip for you. Wash ports are a joke sadly, at least in my limited experience. Our grass glues to the bottom of every deck I've tried. The only solution I found has been to tip and hose the deck out.

Here's a quick maintenance list:

Start of season:
Oil change/Plug/Air Filter
Grease/Oil as needed
Blade(s) sharpened

Mid season:
Blade(s) sharpened
Grease/oil as needed
Blow out at filter sock
Clean deck

End of season:
Run dry, drain gas (including float bowl)
Clean deck
Inspect for damage

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Welp, I bought a miata. rip me.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

the spyder posted:

End of season:
Run dry, drain gas (including float bowl)

Why this instead of sta-bil? Is there a benefit?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

NitroSpazzz posted:

California people, how is the Monterrey area for a spot to kill some time in over the weekend sitting on a beach?

The aquarium owns, but that's all I remember about Monterey. :shobon:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Great Beer posted:

Welp, I bought a miata. rip me.

Looks like you got the Sport brakes. On the subject of emissions defeating, go grab an MS3 and unlock all of the ponies.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I've had even Sta-bil treated gas go lovely in the tank of my mower, it's just not sealed well enough. Gas of the same age with the same treatment kept in a red plastic can right next to it is still fine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

1500quidporsche posted:

It's even more hilarious if you go by Autocar's timeline. Apparently the EPA never actually figured it out and ultimately just said "tell us what's going on or you can't sell diesels in 2016"

In hindsight, they should have doubled down and just not sold any diesels until they developed a passable cover story.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The EPA certainly seem dumb enough that they could've taken a year off then just say "Oh we magically fixed it" at this point.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Sta-bil works great for gas stored in a can. It however does nothing to treat the issues related to Ethanol blended fuels. I've lost fuel hoses and floats due to this. Either drain the fuel or buy non-ethanol gas and treat it with Sta-bil. This reminds me, I need to order two new fuel hoses/filters for two of my chainsaws I left gas in last year. It turned them into mush.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

1500quidporsche posted:

Ayup. Mining industry is...holding steady, but not expanding. No room for a guy trying to break into it. So computers it is (still, oh gods, kill me)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

some texas redneck posted:

Welp. Out of the 3 cars in the house...

2003 Avalon has something hosed in the electrical

2001 F-150 is shititng its transmission. Still drives for now, but anything below 45 mph = it downshifts into 2nd.

Mine just needs tires...

And then there was one. For a bit anyway.

Avalon was dead this morning. F-150 didn't make it out of the neighborhood before it (going from stepdad's description) made a loud clunk/shudder, got stuck in 2nd gear, and O/D OFF started flashing. Fluid on it was burnt to hell when he limped it back home (with less than 5000 since its last drain/fill - and what came out last time wasn't burnt). Also slipping, but that's a given with how ugly the fluid is.

Avalon has a new battery in it now. F-150 is at :doh: Aamco.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

NitroSpazzz posted:

You know our oceans aren't warm right?
I barely knew there was a beach in Monterey, just a kick rear end aquarium and Laguna Seca.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

the spyder posted:

My Hustler Zero turn

Nice, what kind? Ive got 4 Hustlers that In use for work, 2 260Ks (best mower ever made) and a Super Z mini (best hydraulics on earth) and the shittiest 275K that breaks constantly. Other than the 275 which is no fault of its own, its just old and beat to poo poo by its former owner I love Hustlers, theyre built like tanks.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

meatpimp posted:

In some parts of AZ (like mine), I can't find ethanol free gas. Unless I buy race gas at the hotrod shop.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I never use sta-bil or drain the tanks/carbs over the winter and never have carb or fuel system problems. I probably use my mowers a lot more than most of you guys though so theyre constantly getting fresh gas all summer.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Fart Pipe posted:

Nice, what kind? Ive got 4 Hustlers that In use for work, 2 260Ks (best mower ever made) and a Super Z mini (best hydraulics on earth) and the shittiest 275K that breaks constantly. Other than the 275 which is no fault of its own, its just old and beat to poo poo by its former owner I love Hustlers, theyre built like tanks.

I got a great deal on a 2013 X-One. I had planned on using it quite a bit more, but we finally found a competent lawn care service for my grandmothers property. It's only got 50 hours on it since last year.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

I'm imagining it having a row of those flip-up cargo doors on the other side from the original bus. Seems practical.

Yes. This exactly.

Tommychu posted:

I had parts of 17 models from 5 different makes in my Festiva by the time I was done.
(not trying to one up you, your build is way more awesome, but frankencars are fun)

Yes, they are. There's a reason my '79 RX-7 in known as FrankenRex.
It's a '79 chassis, but '84 suspension and brakes, '81, then '80 engine. '84 transmission. '84 seats. '81-5 power mirrors, and I don't know what all minor parts and such. Hopefully, it will have a later model engine soon. Probably later-model doors for the power windows. Whatever else happens to fit...

Raluek posted:

Speaking of rat and VW, what happened to that beetle with a fake gun turret and no front brakes?

I loved the articulated skeleton-arm turn indicator on that.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

the spyder posted:

I got a great deal on a 2013 X-One. I had planned on using it quite a bit more, but we finally found a competent lawn care service for my grandmothers property. It's only got 50 hours on it since last year.

Wait, aren't you in Oregon? Are you planning on selling it? My dad could probably use a good mower for a decent chunk of lawn that they down want to run the tractor over.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

the spyder posted:

Nice, I think that one has the deck that doesnt re-cut the clippings from the left blade. I got to try one out a couple years ago and I could cut so drat fast with it and still have it look good. It had the new hyperdrive too which was amazing. It took 35 minutes off a 4 hour lawn that I do. It was also 37hp, so badass.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Pretty good, lots of good beaches, bring some sunscreen though. People always go to lovers point on dates, pretty drat cliche.. Drive further down to Pacific Grove, they have better beaches that don't smell like sea lion piss. Also fog in the morning usually burns off by 11-12:30. If you do end up going to the aquarium, have breakfast at Coco's on the corner of David and Lighthouse. You're going to need to eat and they offer all day parking to paying diners and it's only 2 blocks down to the aquarium.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

gently caress 2015.

That's all

Agreed

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Raluek posted:

The aquarium owns, but that's all I remember about Monterey. :shobon:

nm posted:

You know our oceans aren't warm right?
I barely knew there was a beach in Monterey, just a kick rear end aquarium and Laguna Seca.

keykey posted:

Pretty good, lots of good beaches, bring some sunscreen though. People always go to lovers point on dates, pretty drat cliche.. Drive further down to Pacific Grove, they have better beaches that don't smell like sea lion piss. Also fog in the morning usually burns off by 11-12:30. If you do end up going to the aquarium, have breakfast at Coco's on the corner of David and Lighthouse. You're going to need to eat and they offer all day parking to paying diners and it's only 2 blocks down to the aquarium.

Excellent. Breakfast then aquarium and beach that doesn't smell like piss. Trying to figure out how I'm going to fit Laguna Seca in but that might have to be next trip, Porsche is doing their Rennsport Reunion though so I may push for that.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Wow the electricians were giving my boss poo poo about the hack job they did on our pipe runs today until I started reciting the NEC. They prompty poo poo bricks and are fixing everything tomorrow. Fuckers.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Wow the electricians were giving my boss poo poo about the hack job they did on our pipe runs today until I started reciting the NEC. They prompty poo poo bricks and are fixing everything tomorrow. Fuckers.

LOL You go get 'em, Super Aggro Crag!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

meatpimp posted:

What happened? :ohdear:

Lets just say that despite all best efforts to stay in good shape the genetics and mid life still say gently caress you and I am over going to the doctors and finding out something else is loving up.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

blk posted:

Lawnmower shopping - Consumer Reports really likes Honda but all the user submitted reviews from people who have owned them 6 months + say they used to be good but are unreliable poo poo now. Anyone have experience in this area?

My family is die hard John Deere for tractors. And not the lovely buy in a big box store kind either, the 425s/318s/etc. If you ever examine an older Deere though, they are built extremely solid. I know the 318/322/332 series have 9" C-channel frames, 2 (some have 3) hydraulic spools, and other misc features that really set them apart from other mowers.

But green paint is $$$$.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Excellent. Breakfast then aquarium and beach that doesn't smell like piss. Trying to figure out how I'm going to fit Laguna Seca in but that might have to be next trip, Porsche is doing their Rennsport Reunion though so I may push for that.

Almost forgot, take the drive down 1 south towards Big Sur, lots of nice coast line and nicer (non-touristy) beaches in that area, it's about a 30 minute drive from downtown Monterey. If you go further, there's a cool place called Jade Cove where you can pick up jade off the beach, it's actually pretty sweet.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NitroSpazzz posted:

A friend of mine is an army major stationed there (just wrapped up coursework at DLI), I visited him in January of 2014. I didn't have time but he said there are multiple places that will rent you a kayak for the day and you can paddle around the bay.

That and the aquarium aside its pretty much one giant tourist trap though, if that's your thing you could definitely kill a lot of time there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
So this is kinda chatty, I guess -

After a 3 year break, I've started driving again. (my old job, managing a bar, was -2 miles from home, so there were two good reasons to not drive right there). I'm 42 years old, and have driven otherwise consistently since I was 15.

I'm loving PETRIFIED OF EVERYTHING. Lane changes, streets, other cars, pedestrians, every squeak, rattle or smell from my own car. I'm constantly freaked out about insane poo poo like my cat overheating and catching fire, wiring faults, etc. I STILL haven't managed to put myself on the freeway.

What the gently caress, guys? When I was a teenager I was of course a fearless maniac. In my 20s and 30s, loved building up cars and taking them to autoX but drove responsibly and safely without much concern. And now... Just the thought of getting into my awesome car and tooling around on a beautiful southern California afternoon fills me with anxiety to the point of avoidance.

"You've gotta force yourself to get out there and just loving do it, man" - Sure. As if. I only *HAVE* to drive about 2x/month, about 3 miles each way. And that's exactly how far I drive. Surface streets, right lane, behind buses, with my hands nailed to the wheel, hyper aware to the point where my ex says I'm a danger to others on the road due to overbraking. And she's probably right.

Thoughts, please?

• Locked thread