Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Renegret posted:

I finished reading all of the Dresden Files books in a two part binge.

I'm not sure what to do with my life now that I'm done.

No worries, there's many more years of Dresden to come. Until then though, yeah you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

No worries, there's many more years of Dresden to come. Until then though, yeah you're hosed.

Dammit Jim stop working on "other projects" and give me what I want :colbert:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Renegret posted:

You want the D. :hfive:

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Hopefully now that Jim got the rights back we can get a proper live action series or movies. I hope Netflix takes a chance on it, maybe do 6 episode seasons twice a year so that they can get through to the good stuff.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Renegret posted:

Have you read all the short stories?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Oroborus posted:

Hopefully now that Jim got the rights back we can get a proper live action series or movies. I hope Netflix takes a chance on it, maybe do 6 episode seasons twice a year so that they can get through to the good stuff.

Where was this news? I looked back a couple of pages or so and couldn't find the announcement.

It's good news, though. Even if they don't make another show.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Shinjobi posted:

Where was this news? I looked back a couple of pages or so and couldn't find the announcement.

It's good news, though. Even if they don't make another show.

It was mentioned awhile ago that Jim said it at a convention, unless I am going insane...which is possible.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013
I think jim mentioned a couple times thay he had a countdown going. I think they have reverted back to him now though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I started the last Dresden book yet published last night. And yes, I read Side Jobs.

...I don't want to be done yet...I don't want to have to wait...

I've been reading these drat things since April, almost interrupted.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Come to the dark side, by which I mean enter ultimate nerd-dom by playing the table-top RPG!

That's what I started doing when I ran out of books anyway.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

mistaya posted:

Come to the dark side, by which I mean enter ultimate nerd-dom by playing the table-top RPG!

That's what I started doing when I ran out of books anyway.

I decided to read Dune instead.

So far I'm 80 pages in and the main character hasn't incinerated anybody or anything yet 3/10

Hasn't even burnt down any buildings yet what is this poo poo.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Renegret posted:

I decided to read Dune instead.

So far I'm 80 pages in and the main character hasn't incinerated anybody or anything yet 3/10

Hasn't even burnt down any buildings yet what is this poo poo.

You poor bastard.

On the plus side, actual nuclear bombs are dropped at some point so it isn't all boring.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That really isn't this type of book.
There are a lot of urban fantasy series that feel more or less like Dresden derivatives, though. Some of them are even quite good.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

That really isn't this type of book.
There are a lot of urban fantasy series that feel more or less like Dresden derivatives, though. Some of them are even quite good.

Some are even (arguably) better at Dresden-style UF than Dresden.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Dresden is still my favorite, but Dresden's had 15 books worth of development.

I think that Alex Verus would probably be my favorite right now if he had similar room for development.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Khizan posted:

Dresden is still my favorite, but Dresden's had 15 books worth of development.

I think that Alex Verus would probably be my favorite right now if he had similar room for development.
I'm not exactly sure how we're defining "Dresden-style UF", but I'd argue that Dresden himself has been stagnating for the last few books instead of developing. The quality of the series itself has been coming down from a peak around books 10-12.

If "Dresden-style UF" means male protagonist with a dark past, a touch of angst and a good deal of snark, with a capacity for action and violence, I find that Pax Arcana by Elliot James (3 books) and Daniel Faust by Craig Schaefer (4 books) are much better series.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Renegret posted:

I finished reading all of the Dresden Files books in a two part binge.

I'm not sure what to do with my life now that I'm done.

I recommend Simon R. Green's Nightside series or Glen Cook's Sweet Silver Blues. Nightside has more fire but Glen Cook's writing is very polished.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

thrawn527 posted:

I started the last Dresden book yet published last night. And yes, I read Side Jobs.

...I don't want to be done yet...I don't want to have to wait...

I've been reading these drat things since April, almost interrupted.

Read them again. You probably missed a clue somewhere.

This sounds like a sarcastic post but it's not.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

-Fish- posted:

I agree with this, I missed a lot on my first reading of the series.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mars4523 posted:

I'm not exactly sure how we're defining "Dresden-style UF", but I'd argue that Dresden himself has been stagnating for the last few books instead of developing. The quality of the series itself has been coming down from a peak around books 10-12.

If "Dresden-style UF" means male protagonist with a dark past, a touch of angst and a good deal of snark, with a capacity for action and violence, I find that Pax Arcana by Elliot James (3 books) and Daniel Faust by Craig Schaefer (4 books) are much better series.

Pax Arcana has been solid so far, but I'm sort of iffy on it right now, largely because I'm going to be upset if Sig ends up getting knocked up and losing her powers.

Daniel Faust is pretty solid(also there's 5 books now, Killing Floor Blues is out), but I want to see where it goes first. My big complaint about that was that his relationship with the succubus didn't have enough... demon in it? Like, he's dating a succubus and princess of hell, it shouldn't be all rainbows and sunshine. I want my demons to act more demony, damnit.

They're both good series. They're both way better than Dresden by book 5, that's for sure. But I've seen Dresden generally improve, where both of those series could go one way or the other imo.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

LLSix posted:

I recommend Simon R. Green's Nightside series or Glen Cook's Sweet Silver Blues. Nightside has more fire but Glen Cook's writing is very polished.

Just a warning on Simon R. Green's Nightside, the first book is terrible, absolutely terrible.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Khizan posted:

Pax Arcana has been solid so far, but I'm sort of iffy on it right now, largely because I'm going to be upset if Sig ends up getting knocked up and losing her powers.

Daniel Faust is pretty solid(also there's 5 books now, Killing Floor Blues is out), but I want to see where it goes first. My big complaint about that was that his relationship with the succubus didn't have enough... demon in it? Like, he's dating a succubus and princess of hell, it shouldn't be all rainbows and sunshine. I want my demons to act more demony, damnit.

They're both good series. They're both way better than Dresden by book 5, that's for sure. But I've seen Dresden generally improve, where both of those series could go one way or the other imo.
It's mentioned in a throwaway line that the Tenplars gave John a vasectomy when he was young. It's brought up again briefly in the second book, so hopefully Sig can't get pregnant, and considering the partying she did when she was younger she's probably on birth control or something. That said I'm still worried that the author will fridge her because John is being too happy (book for starts with "Once upon a time I was too happy". That would be tons of bullshit and would definitely hurt the series overall (not least because even ignoring their relationship she's the second most important character in a procedural sense) but it's also not unheard of among male written male lead UF.

I wouldn't say that Daniel's relationship with Caitlin is all rainbows and sunshine. He's basically powerless against her, which makes them kind of the inverse of your typical power unbalanced UF heroine/sexy overpowered vampire/were animal relationship. The guy can't even express any doubts about her without bad things happening, and God help him if he hurts her in any way.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mars4523 posted:

It's mentioned in a throwaway line that the Tenplars gave John a vasectomy when he was young.

Yeah, but his whole schtick is magical werewolf healing powers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oroborus posted:

I dunno, there's a lot that won't really translate into live action. You could do maybe the first 8-9 books and then it gets really weird.

Oh wait, book 8 is SplatterCon!!! so maybe not even that far.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Jim has said he imagines it as an animated series, which would be awesome, but expensive to do right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still at The Jennifer Morgue and I'm enjoying it well enough so far. I'm at the bit where the perspective shifts away from Bob for the first time and we see how Ramona became involved which was a bit unexpected. However, I must say I really quite enjoy that Billington seems to have magicked things up so he could only be defeated by James Bond.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Mars4523 posted:

I wouldn't say that Daniel's relationship with Caitlin is all rainbows and sunshine. He's basically powerless against her, which makes them kind of the inverse of your typical power unbalanced UF heroine/sexy overpowered vampire/were animal relationship. The guy can't even express any doubts about her without bad things happening, and God help him if he hurts her in any way.
The best part of course is that any such doubts are pretty well justified, since however mind-blowing the sex may be, and however many times she's helped him, she's still a princess of Hell, and will screw him over, or worse, will be forced to screw him over by her superiors. I've got to admit, as much as I'm enjoying "man and succubus have something not unlike a healthy relationship", I cannot wait until things get seriously shaken up.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but his whole schtick is magical werewolf healing powers.
Given how werewolf healing works and how a vasectomy works I'm pretty sure that his healing wouldn't be able to help him there.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

A potentially still-ongoing AMA from Butcher

Some interesting answers there, and some dumb ones. Bonea? Really? e: scratch that, it's a typo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

"Yeah, I always recommend that people start at Dead Beat. It was written specifically to be an entry point for new readers, since it was my very first hardback, and I feel it's more representative of the series as a whole.

I was pretty clueless during those first two books. I had a whole lot to learn. Still do, but it doesn't show quite as badly.
"

Well, that answers that question.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Hey, so do you guys know any rumors or actual news about Peace Talks? I saw its title mentioned on Jim Butcher's website, but I'm a little confused why this book is taking longer than the previous ones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Snipee posted:

Hey, so do you guys know any rumors or actual news about Peace Talks? I saw its title mentioned on Jim Butcher's website, but I'm a little confused why this book is taking longer than the previous ones.

As the Dresden books have gotten longer and more involved, its taking him longer to write each one. Simple as that.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Also he took some time off Dresden to write his new thing.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Snipee posted:

Well he's said before that it'll be about (I think) treaties with the fomor and the White Council/Winter Court/whoever, and that it'll have the highest amount of supernatural violence in the series thus far. Finish date is projected to be Jan 1st (pushed back from Oct 1st by talking cats)

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
some good stuff from that AMA:

We're going to get to see some of the other wizards trump cards (like listen to winds shape shifting)

We will find out what happened during the Unseelie incursion in 1994

Mirror Mirror will show us some of the other personalities Molly displayed in her possible future windows.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

-Fish- posted:

Honestly, I'll probably do this.

These other UF books people mention, are they as...sarcastic and funny? Because that's probably my favorite things about Dresden.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Oroborus posted:

some good stuff from that AMA:

We're going to get to see some of the other wizards trump cards (like listen to winds shape shifting)

We will find out what happened during the Unseelie incursion in 1994

Mirror Mirror will show us some of the other personalities Molly displayed in her possible future windows.

Here's my favorite.

1) Mirror universe Harry is different by one choice. One. And everything else just follows after that.

Wild Speculation Time!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Potooweet posted:

Here's my favorite.

1) Mirror universe Harry is different by one choice. One. And everything else just follows after that.

Wild Speculation Time!

He co opted Sells ritual, and killed him

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thrawn527 posted:

Honestly, I'll probably do this.

These other UF books people mention, are they as...sarcastic and funny? Because that's probably my favorite things about Dresden.

Some of them are! Both the Alex Verus and Daniel Faust series have more than their fair share of snark. So does The Laundry Files.

The Rook doesn't do a lot of snark, but it is big on irony and incongruity as sources of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The Peter Grant books are pretty funny in a very British way.