Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Acne Rain posted:

i assumed there's a planet of sneople out there, Davros just met one in the line at the space grocery store pharmacy and was like "hey I'll pay you to slither around and hiss at people menacingly"

Space Craigslist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Dalek love of stupid sidekick creatures is pretty well established by this point, snake man was fine.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

2house2fly posted:

The Tardis got blown up as well, and it looked more convincing than in Journey's End.

No it didn't. In Journey's end the entire interior was set alight, they blew out the windows on a practical model and everyone had time to react as the TARDIS was destroyed. Here, a single large gun shot it once and the screen faded to white with a Video CoPilot effect explosion, no one reacted for very long and that was it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well yeah but literally nobody watching believed the TARDIS was really destroyed so it's pretty pointless making an elaborate sequence out of it.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

marktheando posted:

The Dalek love of stupid sidekick creatures is pretty well established by this point, snake man was fine.
Now I'm wishing Davros had sent a Slyther pub-crawling in search of the Doctor.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
When I saw Snake Man, I was reminded of The Mara.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

marktheando posted:

Well yeah but literally nobody watching believed the TARDIS was really destroyed so it's pretty pointless making an elaborate sequence out of it.

I guess the real question is whether the Doctor was actually gullible enough to believe it. Seems pretty unlikely. The guy notices when the gravitation is too perfect.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

And More posted:

I guess the real question is whether the Doctor was actually gullible enough to believe it. Seems pretty unlikely. The guy notices when the gravitation is too perfect.

There's a difference between being "really destroyed" in-universe and being "really destroyed" in the context of it being a television programme. There is a high chance that the TARDIS is really destroyed, but will be undestroyed with Time Travel somehow.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sad King Billy posted:

Don't worry, CGI 90s snake... I still remember you!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

PriorMarcus posted:

No it didn't. In Journey's end the entire interior was set alight, they blew out the windows on a practical model and everyone had time to react as the TARDIS was destroyed. Here, a single large gun shot it once and the screen faded to white with a Video CoPilot effect explosion, no one reacted for very long and that was it.

In Journey's End the light came on and it vworped and faded, which the Daleks and the Doctor himself took as proof it had been destroyed instead of vworping away. In this episode there was a bright light and sparks with no visible vworping. It looked more like it had been destroyed.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I forgot that Master Plan had a two minute skit about Test Match Special

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Snake man was pretty cool, especially how much he resembles a tied up ham.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Snake man: good concept, so obviously a segway.

It's Doctor Who, though, so it's in the great tradition of wonky special effects.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
So I listened to that 6th Doctor Last Adventure thing over the weekend. It was pretty good. Who was it that reviewed that in the last thread again? Was curious as to what they thought of it.

I was kind of hoping it would end with "Leave the girl, it's the man I want" but I guess they made their point with the beep-boopy sounds of the TARDIS getting shot at from the opening of Time And The Rani, so eh.

Oh yeah, and that episode what aired on the TV last weekend was good too.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Magician's Apprentice felt a lot like a 10th Doctor story to me. Kind of a mess, but mostly enjoyable, which is how I feel about most of 10's stories.

Missy is cool. I want a story from her POV. Where the Doctor shows up and irritates her, instead of vice versa.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sad King Billy posted:

A friend of mine who claims to just be a casual fan saw the Snake Man and immediately shouted out,"KINDA?"

"Casual fan" my rear end :smugbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He's only kinda casual

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's only kinda casual

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also he means Mara, the Kinda were the people and the Mara were the snakes.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's only kinda casual

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There's a difference between being "really destroyed" in-universe and being "really destroyed" in the context of it being a television programme. There is a high chance that the TARDIS is really destroyed, but will be undestroyed with Time Travel somehow.

I thought the Tardis was pretty much indestructible baring very specific weapons that can blow up tardis's. Can it really just be destroyed by a roof mounted zap gun? Or are we supposed to think that was a specific Tardis destroying weapon?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Meanwhile I got completely confused and was thinking of the Myrka whenever people were making that comparison.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

I thought the Tardis was pretty much indestructible baring very specific weapons that can blow up tardis's. Can it really just be destroyed by a roof mounted zap gun? Or are we supposed to think that was a specific Tardis destroying weapon?

Its indestructability has varied over the years, and you'd think the daleks would know how to blow up a TARDIS given the Time War and all

Gaz-L posted:

Meanwhile I got completely confused and was thinking of the Myrka whenever people were making that comparison.

The Myrka was a lizard thing with two men inside it. The snake dude was a man with a load of snakes inside him. So I can see how you can be confused.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

So how many new characters were actually named in that episode? I can't remember any (I know there were half a dozen named in the credits, were they actually referred to by name in the programme itself?)

Also "Colony Sarrf" just makes me wonder if there's a Colony North as well

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So how many new characters were actually named in that episode? I can't remember any (I know there were half a dozen named in the credits, were they actually referred to by name in the programme itself?)

Also "Colony Sarrf" just makes me wonder if there's a Colony North as well

If this really was like a RTD script there definitely would've been a joke about his brother being Colony Narrf - who'd be gay.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So, odds on The Doctor murdering a frightened child? I'd be tempted if I were Moffat, if only to try and summon the spirit of Mary Whiehouse out of spite.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Its indestructability has varied over the years, and you'd think the daleks would know how to blow up a TARDIS given the Time War and all

Hell the Cybermen knew how to destroy it back in the Five Doctors, apparently. They just got double crossed by the Master.

You know if anything points to the Daleks being more intelligent than the Cybermen, it's the fact that their general standing orders with the Master are "If we are working together, we will constantly threaten you and make you aware how little we need you, and also keep you as far away from us as possible. If we are not, we will shoot you dead on sight."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah I know, but I'd already caught him out on being a secret fan, I wasn't gonna scare him off by saying,"ACTUALLY I believe you mean the Mara :reject:"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

So, odds on The Doctor murdering a frightened child? I'd be tempted if I were Moffat, if only to try and summon the spirit of Mary Whiehouse out of spite.

Infinity-to-1. He's gonna shoot the minefield. It's blatantly obvious from the wording. "...the only way I can"
They literally played dialogue from a time the Doctor was willing to kill Davros and he didn't mince words there, Five just outright said it. The only reason to be coy with the phrasing is if it's meant to be ambiguous, which has the amusing backfire of not being ambiguous at all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just want an iconic sci-fi character to disintegrate an unarmed child on national TV and claim it was justified. Is that really too much to ask? :shrug:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just want an iconic sci-fi character to disintegrate an unarmed child on national TV and claim it was justified. Is that really too much to ask? :shrug:

Oh, so you haven't seen season 3 of Torchwood then? You should, it's good.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

FreezingInferno posted:

So I listened to that 6th Doctor Last Adventure thing over the weekend. It was pretty good. Who was it that reviewed that in the last thread again? Was curious as to what they thought of it.

https://cobiwann.wordpress.com/2015/08/19/doctor-who-the-last-sixth-doctor-adventure-end-of-the-line/

https://cobiwann.wordpress.com/2015/08/25/doctor-who-the-last-sixth-doctor-adventure-the-red-house/

https://cobiwann.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/doctor-who-the-last-sixth-doctor-adventure-stage-fright/

https://cobiwann.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/doctor-who-the-last-sixth-doctor-adventure-the-brink-of-death/

I enjoyed the story, with the first and third episodes being the best, the fourth one a solid finale, and Colin Baker and India Fisher managing to save the second story. There are a few flaws - the second story is weak and there's very little use of Bonnie Langford - but you could feel Jayston and Baker putting everything they have into their roles. It's a fitting finale for the Sixth Doctor, all the way to even explaining Seven with Six's hair!

Episode update - the kiddo was blown away with the Doctor about to shoot Davros. "The Doctor would never do that...would he?!?"

So I got to show her the "Do I have the right" speech from Genesis of the Daleks and had a ten minute discussion on the concept while she was getting ready for bed. I've either blown her mind or begun her on the path to becoming the Punisher.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is there a reason why doctor who initial ratings are so low?

And was this episode good?

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

marktheando posted:

Ogrons anyone?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He's only kinda casual

Oh no you didn't!

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But... he wasn't unarmed. He had a sonic screwdriver at that point. Those things are dangerous!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Grouchio posted:

Is there a reason why doctor who initial ratings are so low?

Ratings across the board are pretty low. It's settled into its usual spot relative to other shows, but those shows have lower ratings too. If the audience has gone online then Doctor Who stands to benefit from that, since it's always been very popular with online platforms.

Episode was okay. Not great, needs the second part to the story, but has some fun moments.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grouchio posted:

It was bad. Not Fear Her bad but still bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It wasn't bad, it was rushed and overstuffed and too self-referential. We'll see next week, but everything points to an unnecessary story with wasted potential.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It wasn't bad, it was rushed and overstuffed and too self-referential. We'll see next week, but everything points to an unnecessary story with wasted potential.

No, it was bad. A shame because Capaldi and Gomez are such a delight to watch together. Moffat really needs to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RunAndGun posted:

Ogrons anyone?

THE SLYTHER! :gonk:

• Locked thread