Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

These are my thoughts, too. The classes should start with bonuses equivalent to their current level 10ish, then gain the difference between that and maxed out over the 25 levels. It would make the classes not-awful to play at the start, make difficulty choices actually difficulty choices and not just you compensating for your own power creep, and reduce the temptation for newbies and dinguses to cheat thus resulting in fewer braindead 25s.

Let me just tell you that coming from Payday 2, a game that reduced leveling to a laughing matter over a lot of patches, to tell you this:

There is literally NOTHING that TWI can make to reduce the number of braindead 25s or people cheating their way to Lvl25. Hell, they could probably make a nice buck by selling a "Shortcut DLC" for like 3 dollars that let you just level up all your perks to 25 instantly. Or better, make it a 0.99 dollar feature but make it work on one perk only.
It's just how some people play games and you just have to deal with it, and ignore that balance-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You can reduce the number of people that do it, but yeah there's always going to be people who cheat it up.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Kikas posted:

Let me just tell you that coming from Payday 2, a game that reduced leveling to a laughing matter over a lot of patches, to tell you this:
I come from PD2, too :sympathy:

I guess I'm saying that from the perspective of someone that's been tempted to go to a grind server and get my neglected perks to 10-15 so they can be of any practical use. But then I'm not really the type to do that in games anyways, and you're right, the type that would probably wouldn't care :sigh:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Exactly.

Leveling doesn't matter, and they can't stop people from "cheating" their way to max level.

You just have to chalk it up to part of the difficulty of the game. Try to get good and carry the game for the bad people. Let them know what they are doing wrong so they can fix it. I only play HOE and tend to see a lot of the same people, so eventually it evens out for the most part.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

I don't think leveling should be in the game to begin with, but people love watching bars extend to the right and then reset so I guess we're stuck with it. It would be beneficial to people who aren't cheaters if the perks had more tooth to start regardless, though.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I'd be fine with them removing it altogether. I don't understand the appeal of leveling up in a game like this.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Replace levels with fat damage numbers and hit sounds and I'll get the same dumb satisfaction out of the big numbers

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

We can't replace levels. I need a trigger to activate the USB food pellet dispenser I'm releasing next month.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Kill X enemies of type Y, get achievement. Kill M enemies with weapon N, get minor cosmetic change. Etc.

Oh my god, a grind that doesn't influence the capabilities of each perk!

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Make sure the damage numbers are colored based on damage type and get bigger the more damage you do until they fill the skybox and break the world

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
What confuses me are the people that are against leveling being in the game, but label people that use perk leveling servers as cheaters.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Hope you're taking notes turnways because I am spinning gold here

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

It should be grounded but totally off the wall and you should win things by playing

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Ramsus posted:

What confuses me are the people that are against leveling being in the game, but label people that use perk leveling servers as cheaters.

I might not like the rules but I am honour-bound to follow them :angel:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Ramsus posted:

My assumption is that they object because they believe that skipping the leveling process somehow deprives someone of valuable knowledge about the game that they will thus never acquire.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

LuciferMorningstar posted:

My assumption is that they object because they believe that skipping the leveling process somehow deprives someone of valuable knowledge about the game that they will thus never acquire.

Brain dead pubs will remain brain dead pubs one way or the other. Doesn't matter if they fast forward through the leveling process or not. :shrug:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Ramsus posted:

Exactly.

Leveling doesn't matter, and they can't stop people from "cheating" their way to max level.

You just have to chalk it up to part of the difficulty of the game. Try to get good and carry the game for the bad people. Let them know what they are doing wrong so they can fix it. I only play HOE and tend to see a lot of the same people, so eventually it evens out for the most part.

I've been playing casually on normal and just off perking everything off my medic. Mainly because its my highest level perk but also because almost every game requires me to be the babysitting medic to keep people alive. That said Pullverizer on a level 22 medic is really fun. If a player is getting swarmed I can come flying in, tank all the hits and explode things with my hammer. :black101:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Custom server I play on has third person view for play by hitting the delete key. It's pretty sweet.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Brain dead pubs will remain brain dead pubs one way or the other. Doesn't matter if they fast forward through the leveling process or not. :shrug:

My opinion, as well. You are either literate enough to understand the skills or you aren't.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

LuciferMorningstar posted:

My opinion, as well. You are either literate enough to understand the skills or you aren't.

Mind you, I'm still going through the long way because I had a childhood obsession with Calvin and Hobbes and I believe suffering builds character. :shepface:

When it comes to team based :pcgaming: at least.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bit of a q, is Support still best focusing it's attention on the mid and high level Zeds? Like from Sirens up? I just unlocked the Stumble perk and it seems way better than the reload, am I right on that one?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Bit of a q, is Support still best focusing it's attention on the mid and high level Zeds? Like from Sirens up? I just unlocked the Stumble perk and it seems way better than the reload, am I right on that one?

tac. reload is much better and you should keep a hunting shotgun for clusters of trash and mid-tier zeds and bust out the aa12 for scrakes and up

you're capable of helping with everything as a support and your only limiting factors are ammo and long reloads

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Flipswitch posted:

You should also take any chance you can get to gun down and entire herd of clots in a single shot but otherwise yeah. Sirens up is where your firepower is best put because you have the hardest hitting guns that aren't explosives.

Tac Reload was considered better before the most recent update, but post-update they seem pretty equivalent? There doesn't seem to be a major consensus on that one anymore. Stumble is great for scrakes and general crowd control, but tactical reload helps so much with the extreme reload times of every single Support weapon before the AA12, so it depends on how much you need to panic reload vs how well you can control a crowd so you don't need to panic reload.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Sweet, thanks for the replies dudes. I'm pretty poo poo at the game and the quickest wipes that o see when playing always feel like a FP or Scrake just tears poo poo up and I figured the Stumble could be super useful there?

The reloads are pretty killer though. Before I can get the pair of shorties on the go I tend to switch to the 9mm quite a bit while moving and then reload when I have some distance.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
nVidia released a Killing Floor 2 driver today for Geforce users: Windows Vista-8.1 / Windows 10

quote:

This new GeForce Game Ready driver ensures you'll have the best possible gaming experience in Killing Floor 2. This driver is also aligned with the new flagship gaming GPU for notebooks, the GeForce GTX 980. In addition, this Game Ready driver also includes updated features and functionality for the GameWorks VR software development kit (SDK).
Edit: it still doesn't look like forcing anti-aliasing works :( Has anyone found a way to get real (multi-sample) AA working? The jaggies especially on transparencies (blood) are driving me nuts. I have FXAA on in-game and I used SweetFX to apply an SMAA shader filter on-top of that, which helps a bit, but I'd really love real AA.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 23, 2015

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
I think levelling would work better with one overall level that applies to all classes. Still have to play to get good and decent perks, but after 20+ hours of getting my support to a decent level so I can play suicidal with my mates, I really can't be hosed having to drop back to a level 0 to try out different classes and feel worthless in suicidal+.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ruggington posted:

Replace levels with fat damage numbers and hit sounds and I'll get the same dumb satisfaction out of the big numbers
yes

Ruggington posted:

Make sure the damage numbers are colored based on damage type and get bigger the more damage you do until they fill the skybox and break the world
YES

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I guess I'm an weirdo. I like the leveling system, but I think it can be adjusted for sure. I like that the game starts you low level, and as you level you learn how the perk works. Once you get to the point where the waves are easy, you move up and now you still keep learning the little things about the perk, but you also have to learn how to deal with new enemy behavior. I'm not as well versed in these game, so I feel like it helps me learn different things along the way.

I don't normally give a poo poo about people hacking their levels, it's coop after all. I do get frustrated though when you see some rear end hat at level 25 on hard mode who doesn't know the in's and outs of the game already. I'm not great at the game by any stretch but a hacked 25 is way easy to spot.

As for my wishes for the game:

Fix demo. The pistol sucks. Either bigger explosions or more ammo or something.
Demo needs more ammo all around
Make rpg 9 kg so I can get a bit more creative with my load out.

Make it so your top tier weapon always drops on death! Seriously you guys. If I'm doing a panic heal and get dead, it should still drop the top weapon.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Playing with friends, they're relatively new (all sub-5) but we're in voice chat and communicating and not having too much trouble on Hard. Proving that teamwork and communications are really what's overpowered.

Then we get to Hans. "Don't let him touch you!" Is the advice me and my other buddy give the rest, knowing full well there's not much one can do when Hans decides to remove a face but feeling they deserved to be warned. My friend's responses: "What do you mean...oh..." :gibs:

Dear KF2 devs, Hans's melee is bullshit. I understand you need a sort of "gently caress off" button to keep players from kiting him forever but as is he just chooses a player and decides he/she is dead. Honestly it would be great if instead Hans got stronger each player he killed. 1-2 isn't so bad, you do have to worry about him a bit more but its not disastrous. Its when you get to 3-4 that he starts taking off and by the time the last guy is kiting him Hans is in full on freight train mode.

Also, do buff his gas grenades back a tiny bit when you dull his claws so they don't 2-shot players.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Hans can't gently caress off out of this game by another Patri/Matriarch soon enough.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is it new content o clock yet?

Also, someone needs to bring back that mod that let you see country tags for everyone in a server. That one owned, this is a surprisingly international game.

Also, please turn on no clip for spectators.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Inside Out Mom posted:

I guess I'm an weirdo. I like the leveling system, but I think it can be adjusted for sure.
No, I'm with you. The leveling system is part of what makes KF unique and I definitely do not want it to go away. Most of the half-baked suggestions in the thread miss the point. The classes' balance are an entirely separate issue - you can talk about giving level 0 more differences or whatever, but that doesn't change the fact that leveling up at current is a pretty bad experience. It happens in fits and starts, it's much slower and harder for some classes (especially Commando and Field Medic), and especially on higher levels where teamwork is a requirement the overall XP haul you get from a map can feel just as much luck as anything else. If I survive 10 waves, survive the boss fight, and don't get kicked for hiding in a useless corner/being AFK/being a complete rear end in a top hat, it's likely (though obviously not guaranteed) that I've functioned as a good squadmate and have played well. I really, really don't think it's a lot to ask that if I've done that on my 'appropriate' difficulty level that I can expect to level up out of that, or at least get very darn close.

As it stands right now that is not the case, especially after level 15-ish it's quite difficult to gain levels and it makes me feel stuck. It also makes me not want to pick up new perks at all. If you presume that it's one hour of play per level, at the current perk load you would be playing for 150 hours before you're maxed out. And we already know that more perks are coming. I get that being maxed out is what makes a lot of players quit (hence the creation of prestige treadmills in a lot of games), but be loving real: 150 hours is already more than most people get out of most AAA games from big-name publishers.

But 1 hour per level is quite fast compared to what we have now.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
i went through the leveling hell that was KF1, i have no desire to do it again

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Coolguye posted:

But 1 hour per level is quite fast compared to what we have now.

Well I've already got 235 hours in and 4 of the perks maxed and the other two at 15...

But that's only because I have a love affair with Medic.

And no social life.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I don't mind the leveling system. I'm going to be playing this game on and off for years so it's nice to unlock new things over the course of its life. You don't need to get everything in the first month of play!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

sushibandit posted:

Also what (free) video editing software do people use to cut out clips from shadowplay recordings for gifs of sweet gib-filled-goodness?
If you're just cutting clips out (linear editing) you can use AVIDemux - http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

It can easily clip and snip bits and copy them to new files WITHOUT recompressing them.

Just choose Video = Copy, Audio = Copy, and Format = MP4.

Mark start [A] and end [B] points and save as a new file and done!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

frozenpeas posted:

I don't mind the leveling system. I'm going to be playing this game on and off for years so it's nice to unlock new things over the course of its life. You don't need to get everything in the first month of play!

Yeah basically. A valid complaint would be that an unleveled class is unfun. But the leveling system is just a nice little bonus to what should already be enjoyable gameplay.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The levelling system is stupid and all the people who like it need to go play a MMO or something. The perk levelling maps are hilarious. Got my Firebug to lvl 10 from level 7 in about 20 minutes or so. The map crashes the server fairly often though.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
The one thing I don't like about the leveling system is that it really discourages trying out different classes sometimes, particularly if you want to play with a certain party. KF relies so much on teamwork and each member pulling their weight, and having a level 5 medic trying to keep up with a level 10+ team on a Hard server isn't much fun. Neither is playing the same class all the time because that's your highest level class and everyone is playing on Suicidal and whelp guess I have to play Firebug forever.

I have no idea what the solution is but that's my gripe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The solution is to not have a half baked "levelling" system in the first place. That poo poo was horrible in RO2, and is/was horrible in the KF games. Have a set amount of "talent points" you can spread out for each class, call it a day. Have an xp/level counter for those people that need that kind of input to enjoy a game about blowing things the gently caress up.