Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Kurieg posted:

But there's a fan-project going on right now to port the day stages from Unleashed to the PC using Sonic Generation's engine.

Is it going on or is it finished? I thought I played it a while ago. It might have been an unfinished version, it only worked as a mod for Generations.

Waffleman_ posted:

forced collectathon AUGH.

On the other hand you can find some pretty nifty poo poo if you've got an appraiser as good as Medibot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Alright, I'm going to have to ask you to stop doing this.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 18, 2015

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Yeah, let's avoid being as edgy as this game.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Sonic 06 and Megaman X7 are a Special Kind of awful.

They're the awful that nostalgia cannot fix. If you grew up on Megaman 8 through X5, you could be forgiven for thinking X6 is an alright game. The same can be said for Shadow the hedgehog. If You remember coming home from elementary school and playing Sonic Adventure, then you probably also have good memories of playing Shadow the Hedgehog in middle school.

X7 is much worse than Shadow the Hedgehog. X7 does not have a loving shame closet in anyone's heart. 06 is the same way. They are objectively bad. They struggle to baseline function, and forgo fun for tedium. Shadow the hedgehog is bad a lot. It has tedious missions. If you're trying to 100% it, then you're going to have a bad time.

Shadow the Hedgehog is a special kind of awful. I loved Adventure in elementary school and I was so psyched for Shadow in middle school (Heroes was bad because it's for babies! Finally a mature game for a mature gamer such as myself!). Shadow the Hedgehog was awful enough to make me realize that Sonic games were never that great and that trying to be edgy is lame.

I like to think that thanks to this game there are hundreds of people who are productive members of society instead of Sonic the Hedgehog fans.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think with the horror that Sega has made of the Sonic Franchise from a good series, I thank God that the other mascot games from the 16 and 32 bit era died out before they had the chance.

Think about Bubsy 3D, and then recognize that there is a kind and loving deity that kept someone from making some friend character to him and giving him a game, or making a third horrible monster and putting them all in one game involving time travel and other bull poo poo. "What could possibly go :suicide:"

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think with the horror that Sega has made of the Sonic Franchise from a good series, I thank God that the other mascot games from the 16 and 32 bit era died out before they had the chance.

Think about Bubsy 3D, and then recognize that there is a kind and loving deity that kept someone from making some friend character to him and giving him a game, or making a third horrible monster and putting them all in one game involving time travel and other bull poo poo. "What could pawsibly go :suicide:"

:colbert:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I... I-I-I-I
Wha?

I....
:cripes:

I actually liked the first Bubsy game, I've heard that soundbite so many times.

And now, just now. For the fur-st (that started as a typo but damnit it fits) loving time do I see that pun for what it is.

gently caress.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Shadow the Hedgehog probably would've been a better game were it more self-aware. I mean, it's hard to take a game about a teleporting hedgehog wielding an AK-47 and cursing seriously when other games in the series have them going to the Olympics.

Anyway, serious question: why didn't Shadow ask Rouge or Sonic or ANYONE from Heroes that recognized him about his past? For that matter, why didn't anyone tell him!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He did, but unfortunately, he tried Team Chaotix first and decided not to bother with the rest of the teams after that.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Besides if they told him then we wouldn't have gotten this amazing game.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Shadow the Hedgehog probably would've been a better game were it more self-aware. I mean, it's hard to take a game about a teleporting hedgehog wielding an AK-47 and cursing seriously when other games in the series have them going to the Olympics.

No, the taking itself seriously is like the only good part about Shadow the Hedgehog. It's incredible

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's not like the 3D Sonic games have a good track record with their (intentional) comic relief, either.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Augus posted:

It's not like the 3D Sonic games have a good track record with their (intentional) comic relief, either.
Colors and Generations are quite funny (intentionally) and self-aware, I think. They also happen to be the only really good 3D Sonics. Hm...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Think about Bubsy 3D, and then recognize that there is a kind and loving deity that kept someone from making some friend character to him and giving him a game, or making a third horrible monster and putting them all in one game involving time travel and other bull poo poo. "What could possibly go :suicide:"

Sunsoft did manage to squeeze out an edgelord spinoff game for Aero the Acrobat, of all things:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jesus Christ Im Dying.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Uh... that is a Japanese game, right?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

anilEhilated posted:

Uh... that is a Japanese game, right?
Wiki lists the developer as Iguana Entertainment aka the Turok people.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Turok, NBA Jam, and the South Park N64 game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:siren: Update Time! :siren:

Alright, enough meandering about. It's time to get to the meat of what Shadow the Hedgehog is really about; being a bad dude with a worse attitude. We're going to team up with Black Doom and head down the evil path this time around!

And boy howdy, if you thought the transitions between levels were flimsy before then you haven't seen anything yet.

Oh and also, here's a link to the song that samples 'Sanctuary' from Kingdom Hearts 2 that we mentioned. It's really something else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shadow Art Online.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

The planet is all ocean because that's the only way it could be as cool and blue as Sonic.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Waffleman_ posted:

Shadow Art Online.

That still somehow makes SAO better, I think.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

You wouldn't download a Chaos Emerald.

Piracy: It's A Crime

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nobody can defeat Shadow the Hedgehog, the ultimate life-form.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tired forum injoke

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Shadow's DnD character is probably an elf ranger that dual-wields crossbows and has a 20-page backstory.

Eggman's the GM.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
shadrow the dark elf

kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

I can't believe Shadow didn't try to find any deals on neweggman

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wow. This game just keeps getting worse, and it was pretty bad to begin with.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mr Tastee posted:

Eggman's the GM.

So the roulette boss was just Shadow rolling D20 to hit?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Shadow Art Online.

Definitely two series that deserve each other.

kurt phillips posted:

I can't believe Shadow didn't try to find any deals on neweggman

Bless you.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I love how nobody in the game or the video even bats an eye at Rouge somehow also being inside a loving computer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, she works for the government.

This is actually how PRISM works. The NSA sends tiny furries into the internet to look at people's files.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I never pegged Sega as the type to start using Capcom science in their games. When do servers start growing out of the ground and producing radiation?

Also, Jordan, is that thing in your avatar a Pokemon?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That level with Knuckles and the bombs...Christ. That was one of the worst experiences I ever had playing a video game. Jordan couldn't emphasize enough how much of a bitch it can be to find every single one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SonicRulez posted:

That level with Knuckles and the bombs...Christ. That was one of the worst experiences I ever had playing a video game. Jordan couldn't emphasize enough how much of a bitch it can be to find every single one.

It's loving terrible and the worst part is this isn't even the worst mission/level combo in the game. I will have some choice words for that trainwreck when the time comes

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, I remember renting this with my brother and thinking, oh hey, I'll just get all the different endings and call it a day. Then you realize that you have to do poo poo like track down forty different dudes in a horribly large level and not miss a single one. It got to the point where I always went meh halfway through and ended up going the easiest possible route and ending up at a neutral ending.

My brother managed to get the good ending at least, but you could tell that was more perseverance than fun on his part.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
My copy had a habit of freezing after about 10 minutes IIRC. Made the maze levels extra fun, especially the ark one.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Also, Jordan, is that thing in your avatar a Pokemon?

It's from Taiko no Tatsujin, a drum-based rhythm game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

SonicRulez posted:

Funny thing is, I never did get to see this level. I could never find all the torches in Eggmans castle as a kid.

The fact I sucked at games as a kid spared me from that lovely level. Funny how that works out. Still got all the games endings though. :shepicide:

• Locked thread