Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Snak posted:

I am going to have to get a ps3 just for HD collection + 4 aren't I.

Also for MGS1 + VR Missions :v:

Also, Revengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ChaosArgate posted:

It's a retcon in MGS1 that BB said it in MG2. Emphasis on retcon. It wasn't mentioned in the original script, the fan translation of it and was not included in Konami's translation included with MGS3 Subsistence.

When does he mention he knew about the clone thing in MGS? I just thought he knew about the father thing and the whole Les Enfants Terribles clone project was a big piece of news to him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Nail Rat posted:

Also for MGS1 + VR Missions :v:

Also, Revengeance.

PS3 is the only console that can play all canon MGS.

Which means it's the master console.

(Stop looking at my 30fps TPP dammit)

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Commissar Budgie posted:

A friend sent me this earlier today.

Finally, MGS6: Sons of Liberty (international) confirmed. :tinfoil:

I thought the name on his uniform read "Solid" for a sec.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Commissar Budgie posted:

A friend sent me this earlier today.

Finally, MGS6: Sons of Liberty (international) confirmed. :tinfoil:

There's a documentary on netflix about that dude called Point and Shoot. He comes across as being pretty mentally ill, and it was basically pure luck that he didn't get tortured to death in a Libyan prison (rebels raided the prison and liberated everyone, lol at him claiming he "escaped").

He's also a giant nerd and a hardcore gamer and his organization is absolutely, 100% a Metal Gear Solid reference. He's basically Caro mk.II.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

oddium posted:

mgs is completely different than 2/3 but i think it's still extremely good and i definitely wouldn't call it really hard to play. it's a lot faster and more about running just outside of vision cones

At one time I got the top ranks etc beat the game on Extreme or whatever multiple times. This recent playthrough I wanted to kill myself trying to remember how to cheese the bosses.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Sylink posted:

At one time I got the top ranks etc beat the game on Extreme or whatever multiple times. This recent playthrough I wanted to kill myself trying to remember how to cheese the bosses.

Last time I played it, about a year ago, it legit took me 25+ tries to beat Gray Fox. The elevator part almost made me rage quit and I failed to save Meryl.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I got stuck on the final gear fight of all things and also Gray Fox.

Oh and the jeep escape is complete bullshit.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Oddly enough the hardest part of MGS1 on Extreme for me was the tank fight with Raven.

Then again, I still remembered how to cheese all the bosses, and that + the first elevator fight are like the only unpredictable ones that you can't reliably beat without taking a single hit.

edit: Forgot the jeep ride, that can get a little rough too.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 23, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just listened to all the Truth recordings while doing some side ops, great stuff.

One bit I found cool was Zero visiting Snake (classic Snake) during his coma. It painted a different picture, since he calls him old friend, and wants him to get better, and is mad that Skullface blew him to hell. Interesting stuff, since the overall backdrop of the series since after MGS3 had been Zero vs Big Boss, or so I thought.

He did talk about what he's looking for, and Kaz for example butted heads with him about it. But what do you folks get about the Big Boss/Zero relationship, with the info we get in this game? It seems Zero still likes Big Boss and is all for Big Boss doing his thing? Even though Zero has his own ideas for the world that may conflict with BB's? Granted he was behind the Paz thing, but I guess Paz going loco in the mecha was her own idea? Would Zero ever want to kill BB? What's the endgame between them there?

And by the time Solid Snake is sent in to kill the BBs in MG1 and 2, is Zero even conscious/aware, or is it just the Patriots machine rolling on?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 23, 2015

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
the endgame is Big Boss killing a retarded crippled Zero and rambling about numbers.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

the endgame is Big Boss killing a retarded crippled Zero and rambling about numbers.

That's how it ended sure, but I mean what the endgame of Zero's intentions were, as of him in 1984. With the new info we got about his motivations in this game here.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I'm still mad about all the Subsistence stuff not being in the HD collection. RIP Secret Theater and Monkey shooting(Skateboarding was dumb).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

RatHat posted:

I'm still mad about all the Subsistence stuff not being in the HD collection. RIP Secret Theater and Monkey shooting(Skateboarding was dumb).
Skateboarding was pretty cool and gave us the best piece of music recorded in this century. Those secret theater thingies were the best though.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Just listened to all the Truth recordings while doing some side ops, great stuff.

One bit I found cool was Zero visiting Snake (classic Snake) during his coma. It painted a different picture, since he calls him old friend, and wants him to get better, and is mad that Skullface blew him to hell. Interesting stuff, since the overall backdrop of the series since after MGS3 had been Zero vs Big Boss, or so I thought.

He did talk about what he's looking for, and Kaz for example butted heads with him about it. But what do you folks get about the Big Boss/Zero relationship, with the info we get in this game? It seems Zero still likes Big Boss and is all for Big Boss doing his thing? Even though Zero has his own ideas for the world that may conflict with BB's? Granted he was behind the Paz thing, but I guess Paz going loco in the mecha was her own idea? Would Zero ever want to kill BB? What's the endgame between them there?

And by the time Solid Snake is sent in to kill the BBs in MG1 and 2, is Zero even conscious/aware, or is it just the Patriots machine rolling on?

The Truth tapes jump around in chronology so the timeline can be a little confusing to piece together at first, but they answer your questions directly. Zero is a vegetable by the time Big Boss awakens; at that point Cipher has already been taken over by Sigint and the Patriot AIs. Zero never had any interest in killing Big Boss. He has a very different opinion about how (and after Peace Walker, whether) to implement The Boss's vision for the world, and he's quite fine with using subterfuge and deception to do it, even against Big Boss, but there's no real malice there.

Likewise, Big Boss doesn't seem to be angry at Zero when he pulls the plug in MGS4. He's recognizing that his and Zero's presence made the world a worse place, so he's just trying to make things right. That's why he deliberately exposes himself to FOXDIE via Solid Snake.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still a bit disappointed in the story but I've had so much loving fun with the game it really doesn't bother me. Also parasites that kill based on language is one of the things I definitely didn't expect, it's like Kojima finally read Snow Crash and thought to himself "I can do one better than this"

I do want an actual ending though.

acksplode posted:

Likewise, Big Boss doesn't seem to be angry at Zero when he pulls the plug in MGS4. He's recognizing that his and Zero's presence made the world a worse place, so he's just trying to make things right. That's why he deliberately exposes himself to FOXDIE via Solid Snake.

For all it's faults (read: Everything else), I actually liked Big Boss's last lines in MGS4. And this is an MGS4 question, but did they actually explain why the gently caress FOXDIE would kill Big Boss if he was supposed to be in a nanomachine induced coma? Seems like an overly complicated contingency plan.

EDIT: Nevermind, just remembered the new FOXDIE subplot. God that game's plot was all over the place.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 23, 2015

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Don Gato posted:

I'm still a bit disappointed in the story but I've had so much loving fun with the game it really doesn't bother me. Also parasites that kill based on language is one of the things I definitely didn't expect, it's like Kojima finally read Snow Crash and thought to himself "I can do one better than this"
The parasites were a neat plot device, and it's cool that Kojima used it to explore cultural imperialism as a topic.

quote:

And this is an MGS4 question, but did they actually explain why the gently caress FOXDIE would kill Big Boss if he was supposed to be in a nanomachine induced coma? Seems like an overly complicated contingency plan.
Fuckin, Patriots, man, I dunno. Patriots.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In retrospect Miller was 100% right about Quiet, DD just got lucky that she was charmed by the boss.

EDIT: Do they ever explain her eye shadow thing? Is it just supposed to be like what Football/Baseball players do to reduce glare?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 23, 2015

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
:siren::siren: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/mgoonsolid/discussions/0/528398719813019876/ :siren::siren:

Re-uploaded the giant 80s soundtrack I made + Last Dancer's "B Sides" contributions.

Posted in the non-spoiler thread too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I feel the tape of Zero visiting Big Boss in the hospital should've ended with Zero having a small laugh before saying "You know the two of us are going straight to Hell, right?" in the most deadpan manner possible.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Poops is canon

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Heavy Metal posted:

That's how it ended sure, but I mean what the endgame of Zero's intentions were, as of him in 1984. With the new info we got about his motivations in this game here.
Zero needed a hero to plug into his archetype of new world order and thought Big Boss was always one big think about the Boss away from coming back into the fold. The Patriots, whatever split of Signit and the AIs it was in the 90s, were more cynical and ready to put the hero stock in with the clones, or other facsimile projects like Raiden.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
MGSV makes it weird that Big Boss lost the war against the Patriots, even with Solid Snake considered. Venom Snake had like 9 years to make every single one of his soldiers a walker gear outfitted with heavy weapons, have a bunch of soldiers volunteer to have The End parasites that make them able to live a lot longer and not have to eat (but have the option still) ontop of whatever parasite poo poo makes Quiet so strong/agile, and a bunch of other technological improvements once it's figured out what's canon and what's for fun to make Outer Heaven a nearly impenetrable fortress.

D-walker alone is highly capable - it can actually go up stairs and it's chaingun/missile launcher would gently caress up even a Gekko from MGS4, not to mention attack copters.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

You know, I'm surprised nobody ever got around to scraping up The Boss and trying to clone her.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Strangelove's snuff tape suggests that she was going to program the Patriots to be less batshit and more kindly towards people, like the Mammal Pod. Then Huey killed her, putting the AI into the hands of SIGINT who is apparently bad at AI programming.

Huey is responsible for the Patriots being the way they were. gently caress Huey.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

RatHat posted:

In retrospect Miller was 100% right about Quiet, DD just got lucky that she was charmed by the boss.

EDIT: Do they ever explain her eye shadow thing? Is it just supposed to be like what Football/Baseball players do to reduce glare?

From Kojima's remarks on Quiet's concept art in the collector's ed guide: "The black marks around her eyes portray her inner emotions; they are an indicator of her combat vigilance. You will also see that Code Talker has marks that appear and signify his emotional state."

Funky Valentine posted:

Strangelove's snuff tape suggests that she was going to program the Patriots to be less batshit and more kindly towards people, like the Mammal Pod. Then Huey killed her, putting the AI into the hands of SIGINT who is apparently bad at AI programming.

Huey is responsible for the Patriots being the way they were. gently caress Huey.

I thought she was specifically talking about making them be kind to Otacon, which she evidently managed to do before being entombed since he got hired by them later despite being a pants-wetting weeaboo.

Hargrimm fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 23, 2015

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
So it's literally her game face

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

You know, I'm surprised nobody ever got around to scraping up The Boss and trying to clone her.

The reason for this is pretty straightforward. There's a lot of Snakes, but if there were lots of other clone families, it stops being special. arguably the most central theme of the entire MGS franchise, is that there is such a thing as the ultimate soldier: His name is Big Boss. And he's like the Lance of Longinus. If you have him, you cannot be stopped. But the series is about how even though the perfect soldier does exist, and can even be duplicated, wars don't solve problems, so having him doesn't really fix anything.

From a story perspective, cloning other people would really pollute the thematic core of the MGS mythos. You'd end up with something more like Hitman, where there are various different breeds of genetically engineered super-soldiers, both controlled by their organizations and acting as rogue agents.

MGS is about how trying to recapture a past success, trying to hold on to old victories as your winning strategy is missing the forest for the trees. Solid Snake exists because they wanted to make another Big Boss. Raiden exists because Solid Snake was so awesome they wanted to make another Solid Snake.

edit: What I'm trying to say is, the actions of characters and factions in MGS aren't remotely related to what would be a good idea in real life where things make any loving sense. So the reason that no one has cloned the Boss is because that's not what this story is about. Just like it's not about developing practical, realistic military technologies and is instead about how whoever has the best mecha will control the world.

And I love it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 23, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The face marking thing seems to be the result of a sudden rush of emotions. Quiet's face gets the mark when Code Talker calls her out and then he gets it when she drops a plot bomb on him. It also shows up whenever she's angry. Dunno why. Something related to The End?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My favorite fake spoiler was the one where Paz was part of a series rapid-aging of Boss clones Zero whipped up.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Hargrimm posted:

From Kojima's remarks on Quiet's concept art in the collector's ed guide: "The black marks around her eyes portray her inner emotions; they are an indicator of her combat vigilance. You will also see that Code Talker has marks that appear and signify his emotional state."

I thought she was specifically talking about making them be kind to Otacon, which she evidently managed to do before being entombed since he got hired by them later despite being a pants-wetting weeaboo.

Otacon literally talks and acts almost exactly like Huey, of course they're going to assume that he was a robotics expert first and a weaboo second. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, they guessed wrong and ended up with a man who would waste valuable time making kung-fu protocols for a nuclear equipped bipedal tank since it would make it more like his Japanese animes

EDIT: Not saying it's not awesome, of course, but the Patriot AIs sure as hell didn't expect anyone that smart would do something so stupid. I almost want a story from the perspective of the AIs trying to handle the insanity of the MGS universe.

"METAL GEAR RAY DEFEATED BY REX UPGRADED BY CONNOISSEUR OF JAPANESE ANIMATION. SOLUTION: ANNIHILATE JAPANESE ANIMATION INDUSTRY."

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 23, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Funky Valentine posted:

My favorite fake spoiler was the one where Paz was part of a series rapid-aging of Boss clones Zero whipped up.
It would make me feel a lot better about a name like "Pacifica Ocean" if it was just made up bullshit for a clone.

Don Gato posted:

Otacon literally talks and acts almost exactly like Huey, of course they're going to assume that he was a robotics expert first and a weaboo second. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, they guessed wrong and ended up with a man who would waste valuable time making kung-fu protocols for a nuclear equipped bipedal tank since it would make it more like his Japanese animes
Those protocols would eventually prove instrumental in allowing Solid Snake to save the world so basically Hal's Japanese animes saved the world. And that wasn't even the only time they probably did.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nakar posted:

The face marking thing seems to be the result of a sudden rush of emotions. Quiet's face gets the mark when Code Talker calls her out and then he gets it when she drops a plot bomb on him. It also shows up whenever she's angry. Dunno why. Something related to The End?

I think it's literally a primitive response from the parasites. Code Talker believes that the Vocal Chord Parasites were actually responsible for the rise of language in humans. They used vocal communication between humans to pair them with humans carrying attractive mate parasites. Quiet's skin is completely rebuilt/controlled by parasites which is why she has a lot of her abilities. I don't think it's a stretch that these skin parasites know the value of visual communication (they do act as camouflage, after all) and when they feel threatened or sense that the host is threatened, they react.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nakar posted:

It would make me feel a lot better about a name like "Pacifica Ocean" if it was just made up bullshit for a clone.

PROJECT MOMBOSS

Pacifica Ocean aka Paz
Atlantica Ocean
Indiana Ocean aka Margaret Thatcher
Arctica Ocean

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

D Dog is a wolf that was trained to be a dog.

Much like V was trained to be someone else....

~thematic consistency~

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Snak posted:

From a story perspective, cloning other people would really pollute the thematic core of the MGS mythos. You'd end up with something more like Hitman, where there are various different breeds of genetically engineered super-soldiers, both controlled by their organizations and acting as rogue agents.
The genome soldiers had gene therapy based on Big Boss' genotype. The focus on Big Boss' genotype is kind of a weakness left over from Zeros original prerogatives dictated to the AIs. As the series goes on you see the AIs shift the focus on genetics of the hero to focusing on the idea of a hero's upbringing and experiences, like with Raiden, to finally embracing the war economy and letting the PMCs separate the wheat from the chaff on a huge scale.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

PROJECT MOMBOSS

Pacifica Ocean aka Paz
Atlantica Ocean
Indiana Ocean aka Margaret Thatcher
Arctica Ocean

Arctica Ocean = Hillary

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

The genome soldiers had gene therapy based on Big Boss' genotype. The focus on Big Boss' genotype is kind of a weakness left over from Zeros original prerogatives dictated to the AIs. As the series goes on you see the AIs shift the focus on genetics of the hero to focusing on the idea of a hero's upbringing and experiences, like with Raiden, to finally embracing the war economy and letting the PMCs separate the wheat from the chaff on a huge scale.

yeah, but they were still trying to get closer to the same specific ideal: That of Big Boss, and later Solid Snake. You're talking about the mechanical reasons for the motivations of characters. Which is valid, but I'm saying that this "platonic ideal" of a soldier is central to the premise of the stories. The game's stories about different (flawed) strategies to achieve the same specific goals: World Domination through nuclear military hardware, and control of the perfect soldier.

And it's pretty obvious that you need both these things, because Metal Gear historically stands no chance against a Snake.

Chronologically, you're right about the fictional factions finally embracing PMC's separating the wheat from the chaff. But MGSV is the final observation from the storyteller, and it says if you want a martyr, don't start with a soldier. Start with a healer and give him a soldier's point of view.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

the medic was also a soldier. One of MSF's best, according to Big Boss himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Snak posted:

The reason for this is pretty straightforward. There's a lot of Snakes, but if there were lots of other clone families, it stops being special. arguably the most central theme of the entire MGS franchise, is that there is such a thing as the ultimate soldier: His name is Big Boss. And he's like the Lance of Longinus. If you have him, you cannot be stopped. But the series is about how even though the perfect soldier does exist, and can even be duplicated, wars don't solve problems, so having him doesn't really fix anything.

MGS is about how trying to recapture a past success, trying to hold on to old victories as your winning strategy is missing the forest for the trees. Solid Snake exists because they wanted to make another Big Boss. Raiden exists because Solid Snake was so awesome they wanted to make another Solid Snake.

edit: What I'm trying to say is, the actions of characters and factions in MGS aren't remotely related to what would be a good idea in real life where things make any loving sense. So the reason that no one has cloned the Boss is because that's not what this story is about. Just like it's not about developing practical, realistic military technologies and is instead about how whoever has the best mecha will control the world.

And I love it.

That's true. I guess there was that horrible AI replica, at least

• Locked thread