Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Curious, why did you use Grab instead of ⌘S to screenshot?

Because it outputs to a folder with all my other screenshots for easy uploading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Any reason why suddenly no avatars are loading? Yes, they are on in settings.

Edit: derp. Reboot fixed.

Mastodon Henley fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 22, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Strange Quark posted:

Immediately after the reply screen pops up. Sometimes quoting works if I reload the page it was on, and sometimes not. Sometimes I get the crash if I try quoting and but not when making a new reply.

It'll also sometimes crash if I try editing my own post immediately after I make it.

Alright, thanks! I'll take a look.

Fedule posted:

What are the odds on Awful getting some sweet splitscreen/multitasking functionality on 9.0 iPads? Since it already has different phone/pad UI layouts it's obvious how it should look but how big a pain is it to implement?

Will be in the next version. We made the necessary changes last year, so it actually Just Works. Only trick was getting everything building in the newest version of Xcode, so now that that's done, it's just a matter of making sure nothing broke.

carry on then posted:

As I'm dicking around with the iPad version in the simulator, it looks like there's a bug where if the size changes and no thread is open, the back arrow might not appear so you're stuck looking at a blank screen unless you rotate to landscape. I'll try and isolate it a little more later.

Not this poo poo again.

I'm thinking about revisiting the "hide sidebar in landscape" setting. If we make it take effect only after relaunching the app, I think we can reduce the amount of dickery we do to UISplitViewController in service of making that setting work, and I think that'll make weirdness like this go away. Maybe. I hope.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

very minor bug. if you expand an arrow of subforums and leave it long enough for the list to collapse when you open the app back up, it still shows the -- as if the list is expanded.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

baram. posted:

very minor bug. if you expand an arrow of subforums and leave it long enough for the list to collapse when you open the app back up, it still shows the -- as if the list is expanded.

I will be very happy when I fix this.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pokeyman posted:

Alright, thanks! I'll take a look.

I'm getting the same issue with a 6(non-plus) on 9.0. At first it was make (or start then back out of) one post then it will crash on the next one but now it has moved to just crashing at the start of making a post. But only on some threads - this thread it was crashing but the Verizon thread was fine. Strangely enough if it goes into the "crash all the time" loop for a thread if I go into another thread where it doesn't crash and add a few quotes into a new post then back out it sometimes starts working fine again in the thread where it formerly would crash. But only sometimes.

Force quitting didn't help, nor did logging out. Even uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't seem to have made a difference. I just tried disabling Crystal in case there is some bug due to content blocking leaking into places it shouldn't be and it seems to have made the issue go away but I can't tell if that's just a coincidence. I'll update later today.

Edit: nope didn't make a difference. :iiam:

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 22, 2015

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

is this supposed to be blank? ios9 newest beta.

also the keyboard does this after selecting an image to upload. fixes itself if you hit a button that would change the keyboard "page".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm getting the same issue with a 6(non-plus) on 9.0. At first it was make (or start then back out of) one post then it will crash on the next one but now it has moved to just crashing at the start of making a post. But only on some threads - this thread it was crashing but the Verizon thread was fine. Strangely enough if it goes into the "crash all the time" loop for a thread if I go into another thread where it doesn't crash and add a few quotes into a new post then back out it sometimes starts working fine again in the thread where it formerly would crash. But only sometimes.

Force quitting didn't help, nor did logging out. Even uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't seem to have made a difference. I just tried disabling Crystal in case there is some bug due to content blocking leaking into places it shouldn't be and it seems to have made the issue go away but I can't tell if that's just a coincidence. I'll update later today.

Edit: nope didn't make a difference. :iiam:

Hmm. I have some thoughts but I'm not looking forward to figuring out how to test them. Thanks for this, it'll help.

baram. posted:

is this supposed to be blank? ios9 newest beta.

Nope! Good catch.

quote:

also the keyboard does this after selecting an image to upload. fixes itself if you hit a button that would change the keyboard "page".

Ugh.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Did you guys make some major changes to the app? The latest beta feels significantly faster and smoother. Hope it's not all just in my head.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

There was a misbehaving autolayout constraint that we finally got around to removing, that cleared up performance in at least one view.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I have been getting some sort of slowdown in the app on the bookmarks page since I installed ios9 this morning. Not sure what's causing it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I have been getting some sort of slowdown in the app on the bookmarks page since I installed ios9 this morning. Not sure what's causing it.

carry on then posted:

There was a misbehaving autolayout constraint that we finally got around to removing, that cleared up performance [in the latest beta] in at least one view.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Thanks, wasn't aware that was the same issue.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

baram. posted:

I get this in Spotify when searching for stuff too so I don't know if it's an iOS 9 oddity or a bug Awful and Spotify have in common

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Selection and copy/pasting seem to work differently now on iOS 9(.0, 6+, Awful v3.6 from App Store).

Selections seem to resolutely stay as the two-anchor linewise selections, never changing to the four-anchor box/paragraph selection mode.

Sometimes the "Copy / Select All / Define / Share..." popover never appears after selecting some text.

And if you select a whole post and copy it, it will (sometimes?) copy the footer of that post as well as the header of the following one. Example copied from two posts up:

quote:

Thanks, wasn't aware that was the same issue.
9/23/15, 01:34
•••
101author; platinum
Joined Oct 14, 2012

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I see that, and I can't get two-finger tap to select the paragraph either, but not just in Awful IIRC.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Subjunctive posted:

I see that, and I can't get two-finger tap to select the paragraph either, but not just in Awful IIRC.

That one seems to be a deliberate OS-wide change. Bloody annoying it is too. God only knows why they'd remove such s useful feature. (conflict with the two-finger select thing that they then decided to make iPad-only?)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Soricidus posted:

That one seems to be a deliberate OS-wide change. Bloody annoying it is too. God only knows why they'd remove such s useful feature. (conflict with the two-finger select thing that they then decided to make iPad-only?)

Wait you could select a whole paragraph at a time with a two-finger tap in iOS 8 and I never knew about it? And now it's gone?? :smithfrog:

I have another bug! If you open an image in Awful app and then use Handoff to your comp, the Handoff'd page is not the image, and not even the thread you opened the image from, but rather the forum you're currently in on the Forums tab (or the most recent forum you've been in, if that tab is on the full forums list). Perplexing!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Abjad Soup posted:

Wait you could select a whole paragraph at a time with a two-finger tap in iOS 8 and I never knew about it? And now it's gone?? :smithfrog:

They took that away in 9? I am never updating.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Otoh it was really annoying to try and force the single text selection when it really wanted to select the whole paragraph.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Today the app has been really slow to load threads. I updated (I have the App Store off by default) and it continued so I don't think it was anything it the last update.

I'm using IOS 9

I'm on wifi and everything else on this connection is lightning fast, I'm not a programmer so I don't know if it may be the site itself (API) or whatever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Abjad Soup posted:

I have another bug! If you open an image in Awful app and then use Handoff to your comp, the Handoff'd page is not the image, and not even the thread you opened the image from, but rather the forum you're currently in on the Forums tab (or the most recent forum you've been in, if that tab is on the full forums list). Perplexing!

I can absolutely see how that's happening, and never would've thought to try it! Good find!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Today the app has been really slow to load threads. I updated (I have the App Store off by default) and it continued so I don't think it was anything it the last update.

I'm using IOS 9

I'm on wifi and everything else on this connection is lightning fast, I'm not a programmer so I don't know if it may be the site itself (API) or whatever.

I'm finding it insanely slow right now trying to read this thread and reply to your post. I'm thinking (hoping?) it's just the Forums. Next time it's slow in the app, can you do me a favour and pop open Safari and see if the Forums are slow there too?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
SA is slow in general today. I don't think it's app related.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm using IOS 9

FWIW I've been having the problem for the past couple days too. Initially I thought it was Verizon, but I did a connection test and tried LTE and Wifi and both were fine.

Running 9.0.1 on an iPhone 6.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Forums have been slow all day on the desktop site. It's not the app.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Just tried the forums on safari, appears to be the site and not Awful.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I've read the last few pages and I didn't see it, so my apologies if it's already been asked, but will Awful be switching to the new SafariView controller?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

I've read the last few pages and I didn't see it, so my apologies if it's already been asked, but will Awful be switching to the new SafariView controller?

Fixed in next.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Looks like the line-wrapping constraints/assumptions can be mildly violated by the font change in iOS 9 (or at least I assume that's the cause). For example, take the following quote:

Joementum posted:

Here's a good image to post on your Facebook to spark a calm, reasonable discussion.

If you have embedded images defaulting to links, the URL of the image will stray beyond the right border of the screen before wrapping. This makes it so the thread can get scrolled horizontally by a small amount, both left and right, which itself disables the "swipe from left edge" gesture from returning you to your bookmarks or to the parent forum. (This also occurs in my post preview, so I can't swipe back to the text entry here until/unless I tap the URL to load the image.)

iOS 9.0.1, 6+, App Store version of Awful

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Edit - never mind, I thought some issues had resolved themselves but I was mistaken

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 26, 2015

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

All my bookmarked forums disappear everytime I open the app.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Recently when I try to quote post someone the client crashes. I have to close it completey and reopen it to quote the post them. I am on iOS

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Holyshoot posted:

Recently when I try to quote post someone the client crashes. I have to close it completey and reopen it to quote the post them. I am on iOS

There's your problem. Try switching to GNU/Linux.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Athletic Footjob posted:

There's your problem. Try switching to GNU/Linux.

Nah I'm good.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I, too, am using the awful app for iOS on iOS.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
iPhone 6, iOS 9.0 public release

I get crashes every time I quote a user when using a custom keyboard. When the modal view animates up, the keyboard and quoted post appear and then the app crashes. In general this seems to be most present when quoting, making new replies doesn't seem to trigger it initially. However, once I've done it once, I can't make any kind of post quotes or not because it will crash every time.

I do use a custom keyboard(either Fleksy or Swiftkey), which triggers this crash. Using a regular keyboard doesn't seem to cause the app to crash. My theory is that there's an issue with the code inside the scroll view logic that causes the app to crash because the scrollview methods don't trigger when there's no quote. Perhaps the scrollTo methods don't account for the different size of various custom keyboards or there's logic that tries to default the apple keyboard over the custom(though I've never seen methods that allow you to pick the stock keyboard aside from password or protected fields).

I'm an iOS developer with nothing going on at work, might try making a pull request this week and playing around with the code. I gotta post and I hate the apple keyboard.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mike-o posted:

I, too, am using the awful app for iOS on iOS.

God drat it. That will teach me to not read titles. :suicide:

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I get crashes every time I quote a user when using a custom keyboard. When the modal view animates up, the keyboard and quoted post appear and then the app crashes. In general this seems to be most present when quoting, making new replies doesn't seem to trigger it initially. However, once I've done it once, I can't make any kind of post quotes or not because it will crash every time.

I do use a custom keyboard(either Fleksy or Swiftkey), which triggers this crash. Using a regular keyboard doesn't seem to cause the app to crash. My theory is that there's an issue with the code inside the scroll view logic that causes the app to crash because the scrollview methods don't trigger when there's no quote. Perhaps the scrollTo methods don't account for the different size of various custom keyboards or there's logic that tries to default the apple keyboard over the custom(though I've never seen methods that allow you to pick the stock keyboard aside from password or protected fields).

I'm an iOS developer with nothing going on at work, might try making a pull request this week and playing around with the code. I gotta post and I hate the apple keyboard.

I too am using swiftkey when it happens.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I can reproduce this in the App Store version, but can't in the development version, so I'm thinking it got fixed at some point. You could talk to pokeyman about being added to the beta, or get the debug version building for yourself. Not sure how much longer until we tag a release and send it for review.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Abjad Soup posted:

Looks like the line-wrapping constraints/assumptions can be mildly violated by the font change in iOS 9 (or at least I assume that's the cause). For example, take the following quote:

If you have embedded images defaulting to links, the URL of the image will stray beyond the right border of the screen before wrapping. This makes it so the thread can get scrolled horizontally by a small amount, both left and right, which itself disables the "swipe from left edge" gesture from returning you to your bookmarks or to the parent forum. (This also occurs in my post preview, so I can't swipe back to the text entry here until/unless I tap the URL to load the image.)

iOS 9.0.1, 6+, App Store version of Awful

I'm curious what's causing this one, I feel like we've squashed these kinds of bugs over and over again. The last one was pretty weird too. I'll take a look!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

All my bookmarked forums disappear everytime I open the app.

Any chance you're real low on disk space? Otherwise, sounds like poo poo's hosed, in which case maybe delete and reinstall? If none of that fixes it then c'mon back and I'll ponder.

Holyshoot posted:

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

I never get tired of (re)writing code to slide poo poo out of the way of the keyboard :sigh: I'd love it if you could at least drop me a crash log (I can symbolicate). If you dive into the code, even better (and please accept my apologies)!

carry on then posted:

I can reproduce this in the App Store version, but can't in the development version, so I'm thinking it got fixed at some point. You could talk to pokeyman about being added to the beta, or get the debug version building for yourself. Not sure how much longer until we tag a release and send it for review.

I have done nothing intentional to fix it. I guess it could possibly be fixed by building against iOS 9 SDK?

I've sent the current beta off for review just to get a head start on the queue but I think it'd be wise to fix a crash or two first (and include the crash fix already on master). By the time the build's in beta it's trivial to send it for review too so that's usually what I end up doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

I have done nothing intentional to fix it. I guess it could possibly be fixed by building against iOS 9 SDK?
That's my guess too.

quote:

I've sent the current beta off for review just to get a head start on the queue but I think it'd be wise to fix a crash or two first (and include the crash fix already on master). By the time the build's in beta it's trivial to send it for review too so that's usually what I end up doing.

Cool. Any particular crashes in mind? If we made a quick list here I would take things off it as time allows.

• Locked thread