Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That BMW is sort of tempting, to say the least. In fact if it's cheap enough it would be worth buying if only because my former-BMW-engineer neighbour owns an E39 530i exactly like that one...how hilarious would it be to park it beside his, then pretend to know nothing about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I find auctions sort of mysterious. Where would a car like a 13 year old 5-series come from to end up in an auction?

What is the typical % on top of the bid price you have to pay as a buyers premium?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

I find auctions sort of mysterious. Where would a car like a 13 year old 5-series come from to end up in an auction?

What is the typical % on top of the bid price you have to pay as a buyers premium?

It's probably a trade-in, or someone got so fed up trying to sell their basket case that they put it to auction to wash their hands of it once and for all.

E: If you flipped it on Kijiji, that BMW is probably worth $5000 or so; maybe a bit more considering it's a manual and all the listings I saw for 530s were automatics.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 19, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

under 2 grand, it's $85 a car, and GST on the whole thing.

also, auctions are cool as hell.

I can't imagine paying full retail price for a used vehicle at this point. When i bought the king ranch for $15k, identical trucks were on dealer lots for $28k. Then there's the $1000 V8 BMW, $750 powerstroke F250, $2250 lincoln land barge, and $17,000 mack.on average, i've probably paid 30% of retail for my vehicles. the powerstroke i got for 1/2 of it's scrap value.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder how much that Saab will trade for under the blue book price because "it's a Saab and you done can't get parts for them anymore."

Dude on GRM got one for $50 from a drug dealer, no keys, no title... still all worked out in the end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

under 2 grand, it's $85 a car, and GST on the whole thing.

also, auctions are cool as hell.

I can't imagine paying full retail price for a used vehicle at this point. When i bought the king ranch for $15k, identical trucks were on dealer lots for $28k. Then there's the $1000 V8 BMW, $750 powerstroke F250, $2250 lincoln land barge, and $17,000 mack.on average, i've probably paid 30% of retail for my vehicles. the powerstroke i got for 1/2 of it's scrap value.

I want to go to an auction with you. Can anyone go? Do you need a dealers "license" or some drat thing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

I want to go to an auction with you. Can anyone go? Do you need a dealers "license" or some drat thing?

For most auctions, Anyone can go, no dealers license or anything.

the only auctions i know of here where you need a dealers license is impact and copart, the salvage auctions.

If there's some interesting stuff at the october michener allen auction, we should go if even just to talk cars and play with stuff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Calgary right? I would probably be down for that.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I've discussed this a few times before, so I missed putting it in the last one. But the wife has set out some non-negotiables: leather, navigation, backup camera, and "not huge". I might be able to swing a Pathfinder or Explorer, but her preference is for smaller SUV's. Unfortunately with what we need to tow, a compact SUV isn't really an option.

Powershift posted:

I wouldn't want to put 5000lbs behind an escape.

You're in edmonton, right? this is going through next weekend, might end up in your price range and would definitely be good for a 5000lb trailer.

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=18/9/2015%5Ef9b8993c39254fcfa3f0e926b93c2d54

the 09 MDX is rated at 15 city/20 highway, the 3.5 awd exploder is 17 city/23 highway.

This might have got lost in translation, but my trailer won't be close to 5000lbs. I'm just referring to Maximum Trailer Weight, which I've learned is basically a meaningless marketing term that has almost no connection to the reality of towing, but everybody uses it in marketing materials so that's why I mentioned it. That Explorer looks pretty good! I actually really love the new generation of Explorers, and it's been on my list. I'd love a 3.5 Ecoboost model but I can't do that with my budget.

How does MA work for inspection? Will I get to see the vehicle started? Plug in an OBD reader?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

I've discussed this a few times before, so I missed putting it in the last one. But the wife has set out some non-negotiables: leather, navigation, backup camera, and "not huge". I might be able to swing a Pathfinder or Explorer, but her preference is for smaller SUV's. Unfortunately with what we need to tow, a compact SUV isn't really an option.

This might have got lost in translation, but my trailer won't be close to 5000lbs. I'm just referring to Maximum Trailer Weight, which I've learned is basically a meaningless marketing term that has almost no connection to the reality of towing, but everybody uses it in marketing materials so that's why I mentioned it. That Explorer looks pretty good! I actually really love the new generation of Explorers, and it's been on my list. I'd love a 3.5 Ecoboost model but I can't do that with my budget.

How does MA work for inspection? Will I get to see the vehicle started? Plug in an OBD reader?

yeah,. they drive everything over the block, they usually go through about 5 minutes ahead and start the vehicle before the dude comes to drive it, and it sits in the line running for about 10 minutes before it's up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My sister and BIL bought a new explorer when they did that redesign a few years back. It was actually pretty nice and the automatic parallel parking was cool as hell.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

my friend got a flex limited with the ecoboost for 17k. If you can get over driving a hearse it covers all your bases.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not sure if anyone here is interested, but I started a thread in the deals subforum for Canadian deals. Feel free to contribute if you come across something.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3742653

Not sure if the thread will live, but who knows.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

TWSS posted:

my friend got a flex limited with the ecoboost for 17k. If you can get over driving a hearse it covers all your bases.

I would be all over a Flex Limited with the Ecoboost like white on rice

Buy my wife hates how they look :negative:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

slidebite posted:

Calgary right? I would probably be down for that.

I'd be down for meeting at a MA auction. I'm next door.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I might be down for an auction Goonmeat as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can any of you guys pick up an ignition cylinder from Spruce Grove?

It's for 14.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's for 14.

I would be all over that it if I hadn't just worked 24 hours this weekend and am leaving for Fort Mac tomorrow afternoon for a week... :(

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

It's for 14.

I might be ab,e to do this but I'm leaving for a funeral today. PM me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seriously. gently caress this frost warning and my lack of a garage.Not really that clear in the picture but I basically had to attach a philips head to a rachet because there wasn't enough clearance to use a screwdriver

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
SUV hunt update:

The Lincoln MKX was the best vehicle we tried. Tons of features, nice (geriatric) interior, has a tow package. The Ford Edge is a close second, which shouldn't be a surprise since it's basically the same vehicle. A surprise third place goes to the Mazda CX-9. But only because the wife vetoed the MDX. :emo:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was actually going to mention an Edge but didn't think it would do that well towing a trailer. Have you been stalking out RV websites and seeing what the people are using for tow vehicles?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I was actually going to mention an Edge but didn't think it would do that well towing a trailer. Have you been stalking out RV websites and seeing what the people are using for tow vehicles?

They're about the same size and weight as most other vehicles in their class, and rate up to 3500lb. I'm vacillating on the accuracy of online towing calculators. I fell like they're done up by safety spergs and there's probably a middle ground between them and the manufacturer supplied marketing Bullshit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Before you buy an SUV, be sure to cruise some gloryholes RV websites and ask questions/research there. You are correct with tow "ratings' being some nebulous thing and some vehicles with similar ratings will absolutely be a better tow vehicle than the other. I'd hate to see you buy a vehicle that has an adequate tow rating only to find out it's simply not up to the task.

I was at an RV tradeshow a couple years back and had a rather entertaining conversation with a dealer (which, holy gently caress RV salesman can be slimy) and he shared with me all sorts of anecdotes of people buying brand new vehicles, usually trucks, to tow their RVs only to trade them in for diesels shortly thereafter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is oddball as gently caress

http://details.maauctions.com/AutolistingYEG_Detail.aspx?Link=22/9/2015%5Ed63b5f5494cb44d0a6666086cec5045b

FWD, 4 speed stick, renault based.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I feel like that would be both a learning experience and filled with exotic smells.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I feel like that would be both a learning experience and filled with exotic smells.

"is that electrical, boiling fluid, or just good ol' 80s stank?"

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I was just telling a friend about this but thought you guys might be interested. I've been buying tires from pmctire.com which ships from Quebec. Usually pretty cheap. Purolator shipping is usually a week's and only for like $10 per set.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Timmy Cruise posted:

I was just telling a friend about this but thought you guys might be interested. I've been buying tires from pmctire.com which ships from Quebec. Usually pretty cheap. Purolator shipping is usually a week's and only for like $10 per set.

Just clicking around at the last few sets i've been involved with buying, they seem to be about + or - $10 of costco's mounted price.

costco's price also includes lifetime balancing, rotation, and flat repair.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

Just clicking around at the last few sets i've been involved with buying, they seem to be about + or - $10 of costco's mounted price.

I really tried to get tires from costco, but the guy's head exploded when I explained to him that I wanted skinnier winter tires than the summer ones I had on the car. Every time I've compared its about $20-30 more supporting a local shop so I usually just go with that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Completely off topic, but when I was in Ottawa a couple weeks ago I caught the second last "Northern Lights" show, a unbelievable laser show projected right on the center block.
https://youtu.be/a_QnQMx67Pg

This video does not do it justice, but still looks awesome. The laser projections were nothing short of stunning. It was easily the most awesome show like that I have ever seen by far... possibly one of the best displays of anything I have ever seen.

You guys should watch it (not my video). It is outstanding and patriotic for :canada:

When I was there at the end, everyone stood to sing along with the anthem and clapped for about 5 minutes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

I really tried to get tires from costco, but the guy's head exploded when I explained to him that I wanted skinnier winter tires than the summer ones I had on the car. Every time I've compared its about $20-30 more supporting a local shop so I usually just go with that.

I need to find a shop with one of them fancy measuring devices they can bolt on and see what you can run. If i could put 265/70r15s on the lincoln, it would save me like $50 a tire.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Completely off topic, but when I was in Ottawa a couple weeks ago I caught the second last "Northern Lights" show, a unbelievable laser show projected right on the center block.
https://youtu.be/a_QnQMx67Pg

This video does not do it justice, but still looks awesome. The laser projections were nothing short of stunning. It was easily the most awesome show like that I have ever seen by far... possibly one of the best displays of anything I have ever seen.

You guys should watch it (not my video). It is outstanding and patriotic for :canada:

When I was there at the end, everyone stood to sing along with the anthem and clapped for about 5 minutes.

Thats pretty neato. Too bad about the french language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PR-NC96DTQ I saw this tour and it also had good lasers.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

Huh didn't know Costco was that cheap. I don't have a membership there unfortunately.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Timmy Cruise posted:

Huh didn't know Costco was that cheap. I don't have a membership there unfortunately.

Dude

Gas is usually 10 cents a liter cheaper there than most stations. A few fill-ups pays for a membership.

They also have super cheap hot dogs and pizza in the little cafeteria by the registers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Costco hot dogs are the food of the gods, but the insane lineups at the gas bar are terrible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Crazy everywhere but Medicine Hat that is. I swear each time I go there it is dead as hell. I don't think I have ever seen more than 2 people at the gas bar. Lethbridge on the other hand, holy gently caress.

And yeah, $1.50 or whatever it is for a big dog and a soda is unbeatable.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Costco hot dogs are the food of the gods, but the insane lineups at the gas bar are terrible.

You're going to Deerfoot Meadows? BECAUSE ONLY FOOLS GO THERE.

I bring a length of pipe and go to Okotoks instead, or if I'm at work I'll go to Crossiron instead. Way less busy at both of them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Ikea's cheap salmon is also a poverty-spec lunch treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ikea's cheap salmon is also a poverty-spec lunch treat.

The lines there on the weekend are worse than costco though. Their food is dirt cheap though and I've had many a university meals there.