Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Fair enough. I think the writing is too much of a problem for me, then. I would like to see her take on the role if the show had better writing and was more decompressed, in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vindicator posted:

Fair enough. I think the writing is too much of a problem for me, then. I would like to see her take on the role if the show had better writing and was more decompressed, in general.

Well feeling overstuffed is part of being a pilot. It has to presents lots of ideas to set up the show and about where it will go in order for the networks to pick it up. Pilotitis is a word that's thrown around a lot for that very reason. If they show continues to be overstuffed with things well past the pilot then you have a problem, but it's usually expected in the first episode of a major network series.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
For a CBS show of such high profile, the pilot should probably have been 2 hours. but WB generally doesn't' seem to give a poo poo about their DC TV projects beyond telling them what they can't do, so it isn't surprising they only gave it a single hour. It could have been a pretty big deal of a premiere but it seems to have fallen victim to Warner's overall "meh" attitude with things as of late (with regards to DC stuff that isn't Batman V. Superman.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hakkesshu posted:

This looks absolutely horrid. Anyone looking forward to this show can't complain about Agents of SHIELD ever again

The pilot for Supergirl was way better than the pilot for AoS imo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ToastyPotato posted:

For a CBS show of such high profile, the pilot should probably have been 2 hours. but WB generally doesn't' seem to give a poo poo about their DC TV projects beyond telling them what they can't do, so it isn't surprising they only gave it a single hour. It could have been a pretty big deal of a premiere but it seems to have fallen victim to Warner's overall "meh" attitude with things as of late (with regards to DC stuff that isn't Batman V. Superman.)

Most pilots are only a single hour. What recent show had a two hour pilot?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Most pilots are only a single hour. What recent show had a two hour pilot?
The Bastard Executioner, for one. And Scream Queens. And Agent Carter. And Empire. And Complications. And The Librarians. And Terra Nova. And Kings. And Aquarius. And When Calls The Heart. And Fear the Walking Dead. And Heroes Reborn. And Dark Matter.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 23, 2015

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Those are all two hour premieres, that's different from a pilot episode. I don't even think they shot pilots for some of those series listed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

howe_sam posted:

Those are all two hour premieres, that's different from a pilot episode. I don't even think they shot pilots for some of those series listed.

Specifically, the pilot for Supergirl is a leaked pilot not necessarily intended for the public to see. I doubt they'll tinker around with it as much as, say, Star Trek: TOS, but for Constantine they fired the female lead and tacked on a new ending and the Bionic Woman remake (who the gently caress even remembers that was a thing? Katie Sackhoff was the bad guy) the recut it so the could replace the lead character's sister, who was originally deaf. Since I assume they're a pretty good distance into filming the first few episodes i might have a 2 hour premiere.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

Looked them up and 6 of those series' first episodes are titled "Pilot", including TBE and SQ.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

Looked them up and 6 of those series' first episodes are titled "Pilot", including TBE and SQ.

Lots of shows first episode is titled pilot and they are not a traditional pilot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

redbackground posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they were shot as a two hour pilot, I'm sure some of them were, but not necessarily all of them. If you were unimpressed with Supergirl I very seriously doubt it will be different enough in the official broadcast to change your mind, but we are talking about something that is likely not to be identical to what airs in October. They might very well combine the first two episodes, spacing out some of he Superman stuff and still call it "Pilot." The first episode of The Flash is called "Pilot," and that wasn't a traditional pilot season type show

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but that doesn't mean they were shot as a two hour pilot, I'm sure some of them were, but not necessarily all of them. If you were unimpressed with Supergirl I very seriously doubt it will be different enough in the official broadcast to change your mind, but we are talking about something that is likely not to be identical to what airs in October. They might very well combine the first two episodes, spacing out some of he Superman stuff and still call it "Pilot." The first episode of The Flash is called "Pilot," and that wasn't a traditional pilot season type show
If that was directed my way, I actually think it looks pretty fun.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Skwirl posted:

Specifically, the pilot for Supergirl is a leaked pilot not necessarily intended for the public to see.

It was sure as hell leaked intentionally to gauge interest/test how the formula would be accepted. It's a superclean 7 GB 1080p file, that's better than anything you see put out for streaming or TV normally.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

redbackground posted:

The Bastard Executioner, for one. And Scream Queens. And Agent Carter. And Empire. And Complications. And The Librarians. And Terra Nova. And Kings. And Aquarius. And When Calls The Heart. And Fear the Walking Dead. And Heroes Reborn. And Dark Matter.

Heroes Reborn alone proves that 2 hour premieres should not be a thing

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh did that start? How was that, incidentally?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Even on a show where everything gets produced at relatively the same time you can sort of feel an aired first episode/premiere/'pilot' feels noticeably a bit different in some way from the official second episode. Sometimes it's just a small change design or decorative change, sometimes personalities and tones are different, etc.

Years ago it felt like a first episode or two-parter for new TV shows were maybe filmed in such a way that they could be repacked and re-edited as stand-alone TV movies for resale in other markets/syndication even if the series itself wasn't going to be popular enough warrant reairing after its initial release. I'm not really sure how big a deal that is anymore, though. The broadcast network's TV Movie of the Week and local channels playing syndicated 2-hour movie blocks or random obscure stuff late at night or on weekends has seemingly dried up quite a bit with the cable channels sort of picking up the baton on those to an extent.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Decius posted:

It was sure as hell leaked intentionally to gauge interest/test how the formula would be accepted. It's a superclean 7 GB 1080p file, that's better than anything you see put out for streaming or TV normally.

Yeah exactly, it was to gauge reactions for sure. Nothing gets leaked in super high quality like that without something else being up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Oh did that start? How was that, incidentally?

Starts tomorrow.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Heroes Reborn alone proves that 2 hour premieres should not be a thing

I'm excited to see Hiro again and they got rid of Peter, so it might not be so terrible.

Who am I kidding?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
How long until Heroes Reborn strands a minor character in a nightmare future timeline and then later erases that timeline from existence? Because that's still one of the most hosed up things a TV show has done.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They did kind of the same thing in Back to the Future 2 when they left Jennifer in the bad 1985. They just did some hand waving where Doc claims that she'll just pop back into place but that doesn't make a lot of sense.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

They did kind of the same thing in Back to the Future 2 when they left Jennifer in the bad 1985. They just did some hand waving where Doc claims that she'll just pop back into place but that doesn't make a lot of sense.

That is a bit different as that is where she belonged. Time just changed around her. In Heroes she was in the future in a giant disease filled hellhole.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't post in here much but this appears to be the appropriate thread.

Is anyone else watching From Dusk Til Dawn the Series? Now I know that doesn't seem like this is the right place but hear me out. This show went from being a pretty lovely retelling of the first film last year to a tightly plotted multi-story, character driven series this year. They have four major plots going on (Deputy, Ritchie, Seth and Kate) and each one is getting equal screen time and all four are tying together in an actually interesting storyline.

Now I bring this up because as I sit watching this series and half of them are wearing black suits and everyone is shooting at everyone else it dawns on me that with little effort this show could be retooled into 100 Bullets the Series. 110B ran 100 issues and followed a dozen or more characters over it's run. A straight translation wouldn't really work but the way I see it, a weekly series in the same style as FDTD would work fantastically, you'd just need to focus on 3 or 4 of the main characters in the same way. Graves, Dizzy, Lono and Cole would be excellent first season starters.

Has there been any word on an adaptation of 100B heading to the big or small screen?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Has there been any word on an adaptation of 100B heading to the big or small screen?
Tom Hardy is producing a film version.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tom-hardy-star-100-bullets-814472

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I only ever read the first TPB over a decade ago and didn't care for it, but that sounds fookin' alley.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hrmf. I don't think it can be done justice in film. Unless they get 3 or 4 films to tell it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I don't post in here much but this appears to be the appropriate thread.

Is anyone else watching From Dusk Til Dawn the Series? Now I know that doesn't seem like this is the right place but hear me out. This show went from being a pretty lovely retelling of the first film last year to a tightly plotted multi-story, character driven series this year. They have four major plots going on (Deputy, Ritchie, Seth and Kate) and each one is getting equal screen time and all four are tying together in an actually interesting storyline.

Now I bring this up because as I sit watching this series and half of them are wearing black suits and everyone is shooting at everyone else it dawns on me that with little effort this show could be retooled into 100 Bullets the Series. 110B ran 100 issues and followed a dozen or more characters over it's run. A straight translation wouldn't really work but the way I see it, a weekly series in the same style as FDTD would work fantastically, you'd just need to focus on 3 or 4 of the main characters in the same way. Graves, Dizzy, Lono and Cole would be excellent first season starters.

Oh is there more of that? I watched the first season and quite enjoyed it, so good to hear!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Light Gun Man posted:

Oh is there more of that? I watched the first season and quite enjoyed it, so good to hear!

Yeah we're 4 or 5 into the second season. I'm shocked to find myself enjoying it so much.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Compared with the film, is it more similar to the Tarantino half or the Rodriguez half? Or is it completely its own thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the first five minutes of the AoS premiere.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was good stuff.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

That was good stuff.

:agreed:

I was thrown though when his hands stopped "working" after he fell to the ground. He was touching things nonstop after that and nothing happened after apparently acting on surfaces 100% of the time just prior. I would have liked to have seen his Midas Touch still a present danger as he was taken in.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 24, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

:agreed:

I was thrown though when his hands stopped "working" after he fell to the ground. He was touching things nonstop after that and nothing happened after apparently acting on surfaces 100% of the time just prior.

It looked to me almost as if it was only metallic stuff, and it wasn't just stuff he touched it was parts of the guns too.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
metal

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

It looked to me almost as if it was only metallic stuff, and it wasn't just stuff he touched it was parts of the guns too.
Oh. The bottom half of a person in the kitchen made me think everything he touched burned/melted/charred.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Does anyone know who that guy was? Or the lady at the end?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Oh. The bottom half of a person in the kitchen made me think everything he touched burned/melted/charred.

That was Inhuman cocoon he stepped out of.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

That was Inhuman cocoon he stepped out of.
I can't believe you expect me to remember all of these kinds of fine details from last season :cheeky:

:sigh:

I thought it was like the remains of his girlfriend or something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It was definitely more intact than Quake's. I first thought someone got Tripp'd too, and if it turns out in the full episode that DID happen I would believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Does anyone know who that guy was? Or the lady at the end?

The guy might just be a one-off to illustrate what's going on. The lady at the end's probably head of the new branch that's been set up to replace SHIELD and will have a semi-antagonistic relationship with them.