Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Potooweet posted:

Here's my favorite.

1) Mirror universe Harry is different by one choice. One. And everything else just follows after that.

Wild Speculation Time!

I imagine it wont' be as simple as if he killed someone instead of letting them go, or if he gave in to Lash or not. It'll probably be something a lot more mundane and fundamental.

What if he never took up the Warden's cloak in Dead Beat? What if he didn't befriend Ivy? What would have happened in Small Favor then? What if he didn't let Murphy into the know? Where would he be today if he'd turned Morgan in?

We could what-if this all day, but I doubt it'll be something as simple or obvious as a kill/no kill moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Potooweet posted:

Here's my favorite.

1) Mirror universe Harry is different by one choice. One. And everything else just follows after that.

Wild Speculation Time!

He chose a different powerup option in Changes is my guess.

Actually it would be pretty funny of that choice was like, he stepped slightly different as he escaped from the apartment fire after saving the landlady and never hurt himself.

Or what if he told Morgan to just gently caress off when asked for help.

Brought Susan fully into the loop before the masquerade?

poo poo. Dammit Butcher.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm going to bet that he made a choice that never lead him to meet Michael Carpenter or for Michael to die early.

We'll see Warden Molly or something similar because without Dresden she ends up being found by the Council, since there's no Red War going on and no Harry to give her bad influences. Without Michael, Harry can't do a lot of things and would end up making far more dangerous choices in most situations. Without Michael he's got no tempering factors.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 23, 2015

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Or frees Lea in proven guilty which would seriously mess with his relationship with micheal and molly. Not to mention nemesis infecting Lea

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My guess: Did not take Bob's skull from the ruins of Justin's lab.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oroborus posted:

some good stuff from that AMA:

We're going to get to see some of the other wizards trump cards (like listen to winds shape shifting)

We will find out what happened during the Unseelie incursion in 1994

Mirror Mirror will show us some of the other personalities Molly displayed in her possible future windows.

Wait, is Mirror Mirror the next one?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait, is Mirror Mirror the next one?

Peace Talks is the next one AFAIK.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Peace Talks is next, and he said he should have it finished by the end of the year. So with editing, it's six months or so out. Maybe? Mirror Mirror will be the one after that.

I like the idea that he chose Nicodemus as his power up option instead of Mab, for the single point of departure Harry. Fae Harry/Molly vs. Denarian Harry/Molly would be a lot of fun. Or just as good, they could be working together. The Fae and the Denarians both hate the poo poo out of the Outsiders.

Well, the in power factions do. Both groups also have conspiracies within them that are Nemesis controlled. It's easy to forget how scary Nemesis is.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Well, crap. That killed my personal Mirror Mirror theory - the mirror universe being one where he splattered himself all over a couple of time zones oopsie-ing Little Chicago.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

My :10bux: goes on: Harry killing Marcone. Marcone is the longest running antagonists in the books and is basically set up as Harry's vanilla foil. Marcone out of the picture changes EVERYTHING

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wittgen posted:

Peace Talks is next, and he said he should have it finished by the end of the year. So with editing, it's six months or so out. Maybe? Mirror Mirror will be the one after that.

I like the idea that he chose Nicodemus as his power up option instead of Mab, for the single point of departure Harry. Fae Harry/Molly vs. Denarian Harry/Molly would be a lot of fun. Or just as good, they could be working together. The Fae and the Denarians both hate the poo poo out of the Outsiders.

Well, the in power factions do. Both groups also have conspiracies within them that are Nemesis controlled. It's easy to forget how scary Nemesis is.

Well, Jim hinted a bit, maybe.

quote:

q:
I may be dead soon because I had to tell a half-truth to my mom about her favorite character who happens to have something unfortunate happen to them in Changes, which she starts reading soon!

In the past, you've said that the events that happened in Changes were supposed to happen in book 10 of the series. You have also indicated that the Denarians show up in books numbered in multiples of five. So if Changes had ocurred as planned, how would the Nickelheads have factored into what went down?

a:
I said that? Are you sure? I couldn't have. Well maybe I did.

Scanning back on it, if the Denarians had been involved, Harry would probably have had to lean more toward Lasciel as his get-out-of-paralysis-free card, and Nicodemus as his new best frenemy rather than Mab, in order to make the whole thing work out. He would have instantly come into conflict with Sanya, as well, over the possession of the Swords, and maybe with Murphy as well. Molly would have had to make a really horrible choice at that point, and probably would have walked out of it even more guilty and more ready to destroy herself after Harry's shooting. She probably would have wound up a Denarian herself.

Wow, that's a dark story. Who would come up with something like that? What's wrong with you?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Duh. He Joins Justin instead of killing him, becoming a warlock, joining the black council, and maybe being the one to take down Eb.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Duh. He Joins Justin instead of killing him, becoming a warlock, joining the black council, and maybe being the one to take down Eb.

This, something before the first book ever happened.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Error 404 posted:

I don't think it's going to be that simple. Specifically, I don't think that it's going to be a clearcut decision to do evil and I don't think that it will be a decision to side with a more-evil-than-Mab side in Changes. My reasoning here is that when Harry looks at that, his realization is going to be "Holy poo poo, if I decided to be evil or side with the bad guys I would be evil" which isn't really much of a revelation. I think it's gonna be something relatively small that he does early on that results in a later reduction of power/resources, which then results in him having to take a walk on the dark side to survive. I think he's going to do something like "Leave Bob in Justin's ruined lab" and then have to resort to dark magic to get himself out of a bad spot that the 'real world' Harry never got into because he got a warning/advice/solution from Bob. Something like that would have a lot more of "there but for the grace of god" kind of feeling than "alternate Harry decided to be evil Harry".

The other thing I am thinking is that maybe he invites Susan Rodriguez to Bianca's party. She's then an officially protected guest, she doesn't get captured, and the war with the Red Council doesn't kick off until the Red Council is good and ready and the White Council gets hit hard, putting Harry in a position where he's got to do some dark poo poo to survive.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Khizan posted:

I think he's going to do something like "Leave Bob in Justin's ruined lab" and then have to resort to dark magic to get himself out of a bad spot that the 'real world' Harry never got into because he got a warning/advice/solution from Bob.

Or in that scenario Bob is located by Grevane, Corpsetaker, Cowl or someone else and they're able to use his knowledge to obtain the Word of Kemmler and the secrets of necromancy far sooner? Then again, I think the plot may have moved far enough away from Kemmler and the Kemmlerites for that for it to be less likely.

On which note, though, the conflict between the White Council and Kemmler's followers in the earky 20th century would be a fun prequel side-story, wouldn't it?

Other news: I finished The Jennifer Morgue over lunch today and I liked it a lot, taken all round. So if this is the worst the Laundry series can throw at me, I should hopefully do well with the next three I have. The short story at the end was a bit perfunctory, though. Does being reduced to a skeleton by a swarm of slugs in an MMORPG mean you're reduced to a skeleton in real life as well? :v:

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Hoping someone here can help me out, a while back I read an urban fantasy book where the main character gets called to osme sort of technology company and theres some kind of weird child ai thing thats killing people?

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Kea posted:

Hoping someone here can help me out, a while back I read an urban fantasy book where the main character gets called to osme sort of technology company and theres some kind of weird child ai thing thats killing people?

Hrm. Do you remember male or female protagonist?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Well, Jim hinted a bit, maybe.

Yup, really thinking it's this.

quote:

That was a big cross-roads of the series, where I could have gone several different ways with it. Any of them could have played out well into the over-story, but the Harry who reluctantly embraced Lasciel would have been a very different guy than the one who reluctantly embraced Mab, would have been a very different guy than the one who reluctantly caused an ecological disaster to employ the Word of Kemmler.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, if it IS denarian Harry I really can't wait to read Mirror Mirror.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Also, it's not one or the other. The point of divergence could be something small and fairly innocuous which ultimately results in Harry joining a different team evil.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I hope it turns out to be evil kemmler necromancer Harry.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Potooweet posted:

Here's my favorite.

Wild Speculation Time!

I thought the rumor was At Bianca's party he makes Susan leave and makes sure she leaves?

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

Kea posted:

If it's a female protagonist it could be A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Blackfish posted:

If it's a female protagonist it could be A Local Habitation by Seanan McGuire.

Thats the one for sure, thanks,

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, I wouldn't put it past Butcher to make it so that Mirror Harry made a better choice at some point along the line and that the universe we're reading is the apocalyptic one.

Wheat Loaf posted:

On which note, though, the conflict between the White Council and Kemmler's followers in the earky 20th century would be a fun prequel side-story, wouldn't it?

Speaking of which, having read and enjoyed the Thomas centered story, the Molly centered story, and the Murphy centered story, I think I'd realy enjoy a full novel or three from someone else besides Harry's point of view. Harry's fun and all, but the alternate takes on the world are pretty cool.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I wish Even Hand would get published where I could read it without having to pay $10 for a short story and a bunch of other garbage I have no intention of reading.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wade Wilson posted:

I wish Even Hand would get published where I could read it without having to pay $10 for a short story and a bunch of other garbage I have no intention of reading.

There's gonna be a second short story compilation coming when there's enough stories to fill it out.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm thinking the change is Harry never tells Susan he loves her in Grave Peril. Michael makes a big deal out of it, and his saying it to her is the snowball for the entire rest of the series. It snaps her out of going nuts and killing right then and there. I think it's the most thematically appropriate one too, instead of something like taking the coin or something massively overt.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It'll probably be something that nobody will ever guess.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

Could just read it in the book store, probably.

As for the choice, in my opinion for this to have impact it has to be a choice we saw Harry make, has to be an actual meaningful choice, and it has to be a choice our Harry could have realistically made at that point.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 23, 2015

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I'm going to say it's NOT picking up Lasciel's coin in Michael ' s garden.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wade Wilson posted:

I bought the Kindle version, read Even Hand, and then returned it for a refund.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The change will be realizing that Mouse wasn't in the box before meeting the monk and giving all of the puppies to the monk.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Wade Wilson posted:

The change will be realizing that Mouse wasn't in the box before meeting the monk and giving all of the puppies to the monk.

No don't you dare even suggest that.

The change will be that the monk never shows up and Dresden gets all the puppies :3:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Wade Wilson posted:

Legit the most likely choice to result I'm Dresden being straight up dead.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rygar201 posted:

Legit the most likely choice to result I'm Dresden being straight up dead.

Especially with the Black Court vamp that attacks him at that guard booth.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Wade Wilson posted:

Especially with the Black Court vamp that attacks him at that guard booth.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

jng2058 posted:

You know, I wouldn't put it past Butcher to make it so that Mirror Harry made a better choice at some point along the line and that the universe we're reading is the apocalyptic one.

That would be pretty cool. What if he gave trusting the White Council a shot early on and ended up with a much more formal set of training with proper back-up for his issues leading to him being a genuine powerhouse with fine control of his magic rather than using it like a goddamn firehose all the time.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
MirrorMirror Harry tapped into the power flowing out of the Well during the fight with the Naagloshii, curb stomped it, caught Peabody before he could flee the island, basically wrapped everything up handily, but the internal damage done using that power that way is what we'll see in the book; also, he used that massive well of power to fuel strikes against his major opponents later.

Investigate, figure out what is going on, use the Well to send out a major hex and gently caress something up. Keep getting twisted by doing it. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Mirror Mirror Harry let Mister out a minute too early one day.