Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jst0rm posted:

yeah. I already have full time work (pension, health, 401). I think I'm looking to work with more indie developers in my downtime.

In that case you're going to need to network pretty heavily, joining the groups that indies are involved in on facebook and forums and whatnot, because indie teams are put together largely through networking and connections and bad posts on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

and bad posts on the internet.

hey I can do that.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
A few of you guys sound really stressed out. Are a lot of games companies really that nuts?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

A few of you guys sound really stressed out. Are a lot of games companies really that nuts?

Things are pretty chill here :v:

Jst0rm posted:

hey I can do that.

I mean literally terrible recruitment posts or volunteer posts that are largely seen and interacted with by terribly bad people.

Here's my favorite bad-post mecca:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/IndieGameDevs/

The second post at the moment is some guy asking how he should arrange profit sharing to fund his indie game

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Things are pretty chill here :v:

I mean literally terrible recruitment posts or volunteer posts that are largely seen and interacted with by terribly bad people.

Here's my favorite bad-post mecca:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/IndieGameDevs/

The second post at the moment is some guy asking how he should arrange profit sharing to fund his indie game

yeah no. If I'm not getting paid I'm playing video games and drinking Bourbon. If someone with a trackrecord of excellence wants to give me points that one thing but I dont need craigslist - do it for your portfolio level of work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Frown Town posted:

But yeah, my biggest fear as an artist is carpal tunnel. I had a terrible scare the other night... ironically I think it was updating my portfolio for several nights on end that induced carpal-tunnel-like symptoms for the entire night.

I don't know if it passes medical muster but I came across this a ways back, and it makes my hands feel pretty darn good. It seems to work the tendons a lot more than the stuff that pops up when googling hand/wrist exercises.

http://i.imgur.com/i6gaRmf.jpg

Best part is it takes like 20 seconds so just do it whenever you pause in your work.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I don't know if it passes medical muster but I came across this a ways back, and it makes my hands feel pretty darn good. It seems to work the tendons a lot more than the stuff that pops up when googling hand/wrist exercises.

Best part is it takes like 20 seconds so just do it whenever you pause in your work.

thats cool. Bookmarked. Another cool one for your eyes is to cup your hands over your eyes but not pressing on them and open your eyes in the "dark" . This helps relax your focus muscles.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I get "active release technique" therapy and I really like it but nobody online ever trusts me about it.

Yoga really helps me too. It might seem counter productive and painful to put all of your weight in your wrists but it can actually help a lot.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

baby puzzle posted:

I get "active release technique" therapy and I really like it but nobody online ever trusts me about it.

this sounds like a sex move

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jst0rm posted:

thats cool. Bookmarked. Another cool one for your eyes is to cup your hands over your eyes but not pressing on them and open your eyes in the "dark" . This helps relax your focus muscles.

I just drink a lot of Scotch, this also relaxes my focus.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Avalanche Software (Disney) is pretty good. They have their crunchy times, but for now they are temporary and they at least cater dinners when it happens. The company is in a good spot for now with Infinity. There are plenty of people who have been there 10 or 15 or more years. In fact, we just had a big 20 year anniversary party. Disney benefits are pretty good. Insurance is pricey but quality. Free cereal and soda and fruit in the break room.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

It's really not as bad as I make it sound in my post. I'm just the weird kinda person that can't imagine spending 10-15 years in front of a computer for my job. I'd much rather be seeing new places, meeting new people, working on new projects constantly (actually, this describes what the founders of my studio do on a regular basis lol)...but financially it'll be a long rear end time before I can get there if I just stay at an established games studio.

But yeah, my end goal is to probably get out of games, start my own business whether it's related to the industry or not (probably not) and find a way to make a living doing something other than sitting in front of a computer. That's my biggest gripe, with any entertainment job really. It entirely evolves around you sitting in front of a computer for at least 30-40 hours a week.

The studio I'm at is really nice, and the people are super cool, but I'm not thinking studios specifically I'm talking about games as a career in general. I've worked a ton of different jobs since I was 15, and while games is definitely my favorite so far, I'm not about to persist at a single career until I retire. Even if I worked at the absolute best studio ever, I'm still a desk jockey.

plus us artists never get sent to any cool events across the globe, drat producers and community managers/marketing...wah

ceebee fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 23, 2015

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

baby puzzle posted:

Yoga really helps me too. It might seem counter productive and painful to put all of your weight in your wrists but it can actually help a lot.
Everyone should do yoga. Totes. It's great exercise, does a hell of a lot more for you than lifting weights or treadmill'ing ever will, and it makes your rear end look AMAZING.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

baby puzzle posted:

Yeah, so when someone is selling 'training' so you, someone with no medical background, can become certified to literally practice their medical techniques on other people for the low low price of a couple thousand dollars per course, it's probably bullshit. In fact, their entire site looks like a crock of poo poo I'd put up with homeopathy and crystal healing.

I mean, do whatever you feel is best, but 'feels good' does not equal 'actually fixing a problem' (except when it does, because placebo and that complicated mess...).

If you are having wrist pain, talk to a doctor, not someone who took 5 courses via interactive DVD and got 'certified' that way.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mutata posted:

Avalanche Software (Disney) is pretty good. They have their crunchy times, but for now they are temporary and they at least cater dinners when it happens. The company is in a good spot for now with Infinity. There are plenty of people who have been there 10 or 15 or more years. In fact, we just had a big 20 year anniversary party. Disney benefits are pretty good. Insurance is pricey but quality. Free cereal and soda and fruit in the break room.

Are there any studios these days that go into permanent crunch mode? I remember hearing a lot of horror stories about that; then there was John Romero's team for Daikatana that was having competitions to see who could work the most insane hours. We all saw how well that went.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Our lead engineer uses this keyboard:

It's older than dirt, and I don't even think the connectors for it are made anymore. He had to re-wire it to get it to work with converters, because it apparently predates PS/2 ports. But, apparently it is gold for RSIs from long-term keyboard use.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Are there any studios these days that go into permanent crunch mode? I remember hearing a lot of horror stories about that; then there was John Romero's team for Daikatana that was having competitions to see who could work the most insane hours. We all saw how well that went.

No, not really. There are places like Epic that the rumors say are unapologetic about it, but you still hear horror stories of death march projects. I think a couple months of "let's get this thing in the can" is fine. At my place you at least get comp time afterward. I got 3 weeks off after my work on Infinity 3 wrapped, for example. There's crunch, there's company cultures of imbalance that I'm not interested in, and then there's abuse, I guess.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yeah, so when someone is selling 'training' so you, someone with no medical background, can become certified to literally practice their medical techniques on other people for the low low price of a couple thousand dollars per course, it's probably bullshit. In fact, their entire site looks like a crock of poo poo I'd put up with homeopathy and crystal healing.

I mean, do whatever you feel is best, but 'feels good' does not equal 'actually fixing a problem' (except when it does, because placebo and that complicated mess...).

If you are having wrist pain, talk to a doctor, not someone who took 5 courses via interactive DVD and got 'certified' that way.

It actually depends on who you get. The chiropractic profession has a bad rap because (iirc) it's completely unregulated, and so anyone can say "I'm a chiropractor!" and then go about snapping your neck at $50 a visit. However, if you get a good chriopractor with actual medical credentials, it is legitimately helpful.

For example, I visit a chiropractor regularly with a medical degree specializing in the musculoskeletal system (i.e. the focus of a chiropractic visit) from an actual real school and a further chiropractic degree from another actual real school. He knows his poo poo about your body and is trained to keep you running well, as well as giving actual legitimate medical advice.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Leif. posted:

Our lead engineer uses this keyboard:

It's older than dirt, and I don't even think the connectors for it are made anymore. He had to re-wire it to get it to work with converters, because it apparently predates PS/2 ports. But, apparently it is gold for RSIs from long-term keyboard use.

This looks like it was pulled out of a universe that has no concept of euclidean space

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
"Why back in my day..."

When I was in school, I had tendonitis in both arms and carpal tunnel in my right. I was only 20 years old and the doctor was like "well, we can operate, but it'll just come back if you keep doing what you're doing." so I started taking ergonomics all seriously but they made me really uncomfortable. I ended up being REALLY weird and lying down with a keyboard on my lap and my arms supported. Everything got better!

Now I'm just super lazy and in management so I don't do work anymore. Problem solved!

Also the best keyboard of the FUTURE (that's no longer made): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DataHand

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I've never had any issues but then again I'm constantly stretching and standing to walk around.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mutata posted:

No, not really. There are places like Epic that the rumors say are unapologetic about it, but you still hear horror stories of death march projects. I think a couple months of "let's get this thing in the can" is fine. At my place you at least get comp time afterward. I got 3 weeks off after my work on Infinity 3 wrapped, for example. There's crunch, there's company cultures of imbalance that I'm not interested in, and then there's abuse, I guess.

That makes sense. Yeah I figured it wouldn't last after I had heard about it; you can only work 90 hours a week for so long before it wears a person down. What I had heard about was companies that had a crunch time policy that was "only to be used when necessary" but then deciding all the time was necessary. I think EA was the worst I had heard about for long-term crunch. Studios would expect everybody to work 60 hours minimum all the time forever for no extra compensation. They'd be "well we need to get this out!!!" but then rotate to the next project and crunch time that as well.

As much as I like games and think game programming is interesting I have no desire to pull those kinds of hours long term ever again. But then this is America where some companies won't hire you if your response to "are you willing to literally work yourself to death to make somebody else rich?" is "no." Maybe I'm just cynical after a lot of retail and food service.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

mutata posted:

I could name half a dozen companies that I know have crunched the better part of this year so far, and I have to imagine there is more. I do feel like there is a shift happening away from that, but I know plenty of people that still work at places that wear crunch like a badge of honor.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But then this is America where some companies won't hire you if your response to "are you willing to literally work yourself to death to make somebody else rich?" is "no."

Things like that happen in Poland too, sadly

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

xzzy posted:

Excellent! Thank you for this - will give it a shot. Hoping it may also reduce some joint pain flair ups during climbs.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Your daily reminder that 'general bugfixes' is not an acceptable changelist description

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

Sion posted:

Your daily reminder that 'general bugfixes' is not an acceptable changelist description

Assorted? Various? Additional? Further?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

baldurk posted:

Assorted? Various? Additional? Further?

The only time that 'general bugfixes' is an acceptable changelist is when you are the narrative designer and you are adding a character called 'general bugfixes' who is a commander of an intergalactic army dedicated to wiping out the bugs, ala Troopers.

you hitler

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Dear Design,

At this time, we cannot afford new assets to support "Design Request". Given that we have approximately 23,000 extant, functional assets in the asset database, you need to design within the constraints of our existing assets for this encounter. The alternative is identifying which cinematic or feature you would like to cut from the game to support "Design Request."

Design: Understood. I think we can make this work.

*Requests a dozen loving new assets, which is like 3 more than their original Design Request had scoped*

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Who gave you access to our Perforce???? :wth:

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

This is way less cursing than I'm used to in a push-log.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Sion posted:

What about many, small "fixed a bug" pushes where there's only one file in each push?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sion posted:

Hey, you wanted me to implement General Bugfixes in our game, and he's the best commander our space marines have ever seen. :colbert:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Serenade posted:

What about many, small "fixed a bug" pushes where there's only one file in each push?

If I ever get a programming job I'm just going to type nothing but "i did things today" forever.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If I ever get a programming job I'm just going to type nothing but "i did things today" forever.

"All work and no play make ToxicSlurpee a dull boy"

I will admit that on typo bugs I just say 'typo corrected' rather than spelling out the translation. What it should be is right there in the bug.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

As I've said before, if I ruled the world uninformative commits would cost you a percentage of your salary, and empty ones would be a digit.

I'd probably be nice and start with toes first.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
git commit -am stuff

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Serenade posted:

Or a dozen "fixed $Menu$ mouse bugs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Who would do such a thing? I, for one, have never been contacted by a former employer to find out what "XXX THIS HAPPENED" meant in the debug logs, that would be silly...