Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Well, there is a robot in this game.

Olympia doesn't join your guild. aldo SHHHH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cdyoung posted:

Olympia doesn't join your guild. aldo SHHHH.

What? The Deep City is totally filled with robots right? Aside from the Inn girl, I think?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RareAcumen posted:

What? The Deep City is totally filled with robots right? Aside from the Inn girl, I think?

Shhh. Don't let the Deep City know that you know their secret. :tinfoil:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If it's anything like EO4, the unlockable classes will be things that could only come from the new cultures you meet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Clarste posted:

If it's anything like EO4, the unlockable classes will be things that could only come from the new cultures you meet.

It's been that way in previous games too. Meeting Ren and Tlatchga gives you Ronin and Hexer, and meeting Beowulf Guild gave you Beast.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Aren't you, on a technical level, given all your starting classes by a new culture since every game describes you as an immigrant seeking adventure?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Aren't you, on a technical level, given all your starting classes by a new culture since every game describes you as an immigrant seeking adventure?

The problem with this idea in these games always amounts to "who the heck is this adventurer, and why aren't they part of my party?"

In point of fact, pretty much no members of the story parties of the Untold games are from Etria/Lagaard, but (except for the unique main characters) they're all of the classes you can find there anyway.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 19, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Supremezero posted:

The problem with this idea in these games always amounts to "who the heck is this adventurer, and why aren't they part of my party?"

I replayed EO4 recently, and what the guildmaster said was that you were free to add yourself to the guild if you want. The implication being that the player can just arbitrarily decide that one of their party members is the leader.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

I replayed EO4 recently, and what the guildmaster said was that you were free to add yourself to the guild if you want. The implication being that the player can just arbitrarily decide that one of their party members is the leader.

The objectively correct way to play is to assume that the first character you make for any given guild is the guild leader. This is why the best EO2U guild is run by a hyper competent panda or wolf.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

poorlywrittennovel posted:

The objectively correct way to play is to assume that the first character you make for any given guild is the guild leader. This is why the best EO2U guild is run by a hyper competent panda or wolf.

There is not remotely enough Tiger love in this post.

I mean, the Panda is obviously superior to the Tiger in every way, but Tiger is at least equal to Wolf!

gently caress Bear.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 19, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sabertooth Tiger is the best Beast. :colbert:

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Sabertooth Tiger is the best Beast. :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

poorlywrittennovel posted:

The objectively correct way to play is to assume that the first character you make for any given guild is the guild leader.

Then that means MEGAQUEEN is the boss of my EO3 guild.

OK.

Everyman
Jun 4, 2009

Clarste posted:

Yeah that's what they pretty much all say: Recruit some adventures, and sign up yourself if you have the guts. Its all purely a roleplaying thing so you get to assume either you or one of your characters is the leader. I've always thought the idea of the guild leader as some paper pusher or bureaucrat who never actually leaves town is pretty amusing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Then that means MEGAQUEEN is the boss of my EO3 guild.

Let's be honest: she was going to be the boss no matter what.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 34: Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire

I really wish the others would stop complaining about the magma. It's not that bad to walk through.

I don't even have feet anymore you crazy lady! You can even see the bone sticking out!

DS Version

Here's another one way passage.

That worm isn't chasing after us.

I don't know if this one is even interested in doing so.

Hmm, must have fallen asleep.

Oh good. We can sneak past it-

Let's kill it!

What? Why should we-

CHAAAARGE! :black101:

DS Version

WHY!? I thought I was finally on a team with no crazy people! ...Not counting the kid.

Oh Sidney's rather levelheaded most of the time.

Just don't get him talking about monster hunting or he gets... excited, to say the least.

Your guts are gonna paint the walls uh, even redder when I'm done with ya! Hee hee hee!

Sidney's supposed to be the king of physical damage, but the Jolly Roger just made Scott way stronger than he was supposed to be.

Go, Mr. Elephant!

:saddowns: You... You did your best.

Animals really aren't a good way of dealing damage. They're just for inflicting ailments.

That fight was also nothing special. Though it gave Fang enough exp to level up.

DS Version

Beast Soul now increases Fang's animal's HP by 30%, their ATK by 50%, and their DEF by 30%.

Another one way passage.

Here's that Mud Lurker's chase path. Just keep heading left at daytime.

Hey, isn't that the branch that girl wanted?

You remember the request you accepted to bring a shining branch for a rich girl... The branch she wants must be from this strange tree before you. You can try to break off one of the branches to bring back for her.

I believe so. Let me see if I can just break this... ngh! There we go.

You reach out to the shining blue branch and carefully break it off at its base. Curiously, the branch still shines, even after being broken off. You wrap it up carefully. You have now completed Belle’s request! All you need to do now is return to the bar. ...You silently give thanks to the tree before leaving this place.

DS Version

Stegosaurus
HP: 628
TP: 94
STR: 33
VIT: 32
AGI: 21
LUC: 22
TEC: 26
Attack Type: Pierce
Exp: 2082
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Stegosaurus Fin - 75% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Bone Shield (Shield.) 1 needed for the quest Messages from aeons past II.
--It plays a role in regulating body temperature.
-Drop 2: Predatory Fang - 20% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Falchion (Sword.) 3 needed for Stonard (Item.) 5 needed for Oomiyari (Spear.)
--Once plunged into its target, it never relents.
-Gold: N/A
Description: An herbivore saurian with a unique dorsal fin. It’s cowardly, but uses its fin to attack when angry.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 75% Strike: 100% Pierce: 75% Fire: 125% Ice: 125% Volt: 125%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 122% Confusion: 122% Plague: 50% Poison: 100% Blind: 122% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 50% Arm: 50% Leg: 50%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Great Spike: Uses the Legs. Deals 150% Pierce damage to a single target. Adjacent targets take splash damage. (70% of what the intended target took.)

The Stegosaurus is the strongest monster on this floor, and one you should be cautious around if you don't have any ways to deal with it quickly. Elemental attacks can take it down pretty fast. One saving grace is that they almost always appear alone, which makes them pretty manageable. And they take a while to take down thanks to their huge HP pool.

And look at Scott go! He did more damage than Asteria! Also, the Stegosaurus is resistant to Pierce attacks and weak to Ice attacks.

Hoplites can make them far more manageable to deal with.

If you're prepared, there's nothing much to them.

DS Version

More inaccessible shortcuts.

And one that we can open up. But more importantly...

We've reached the Submagnetic Pole! Oh, and we can enter the Deep City from any Submagnetic Pole from now on.

We should be able to enter this Stratum from Armoroad instead of having to walk from the Deep City every time.

Thank goodness. Anything to make things easier on my feet.

Kind of weird how we ran into this one so late.

DS Version

And let's turn in that branch quest.

Welcome back! How did it going?

We got the branch! See?

Oh, so it really exists? So this is what she was talking about. So shiny... I am sure this will make Belle happy! Maybe a knight on a flying horse will come for her! ...I doubt he’d be able to take her away, though.

What are you talking about?

I mean, Belle’s lived such a sheltered life that she weighs as much as a bell tower! She’ll probably have to lose some weight before she can even get out of her room... Hahaha! Well, this is definitely what she asked for. Here is your reward!

And now we can use all the elemental forges. Which are completely useless if you don't use regular attacks.

Anticold reduces Ice damage by 48%. Handy, but I need this skill to be able to completely nullify attacks pretty soon.

Charge provides even more power for Sidney. Before heading back to the Labyrinth, I stop by Napier's Firm to drop off some materials and unlock some new equipment.

The Fire forges are completely pointless for a Zodiac. Pass.

This provides a 20% resistance to Fire attacks. I'd buy this, but I'm need to save money for all the Madoras I'll need for the Stratum.

The Stab Charm provides a 30% resistance to Pierce attacks.

And interacting with that Submagnetic Pole enables us to go to the 3rd Stratum from Armoroad.

DS Version

Here's another Mud Lurker.

And its chase path during the day. If you're exploring during that time, you want to lure the Mud Luker to the bottom of the hallway, and then move around to the top path, so you can slip past it.

WAH! How did it surprise us? We just walked towards it!

I suppose it saw us coming and prepared accordingly.

And this something that got taken out of the later EO games. You can get blindsided or get a preemptive strike even if the FOE doesn't walk into your back, or you don't walk into theirs. EO4 actually completely took out the ability for FOEs and bosses to blindside you for some reason. Millennium Girl gave that ability back to them, but only when they walk into your back.

This one goes down pretty easily.

More shortcuts back.

That's a pretty big ant. I wonder if-

Don't you even think about killing it! Remember what Missy told us.

Oh yeah. That's the thing that likes those P-fruits, right?

It doesn’t seem to have noticed you. Its antennae wave as if in search of something. You remember the request you agreed to do concerning the fruit that the ants like. This ant might be in search of that fruit right now. You can follow the ant if you wish.

Yeah. Maybe we can sneak behind it and-hey. Put the crossbow down.

Oh fine.

You can't really catch up to the FOE. All you can do is follow it.

Could there be something in this tree? You take a step closer to get a good look.

Hey, I think those are the P-fruits!

Erm, that's great, Fang. But I think there's something else we need to worry about for the moment.

DS Version

Now can we kill it?

...Yes Sidney. Go crazy.

As you hurriedly draw your weapons, the enraged ant attacks!

DS Version

Pomona Taker
HP: 813
TP: 400
STR: 29
VIT: 20
AGI: 28
LUC: 28
TEC: 30
Attack Type: Strike
Exp: 1396
Item Drops: N/A
Description: This worker ant collects the legendary Pomona fruit. Their nest is thought to be nearby.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 150% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 50% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 50%
Bind Resistances: Head: 100% Arm: 122% Leg: 100%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Sticky Acid: Uses the Head. Lowers the entire party's evasion by 50 for 4 turns.
Throw: Unusable skill.

There's not much to these things. But generally, you want to kill them quickly. You'll see why in a bit. Don't worry about Throw. This version of the Pomona Taker can't use that skill at all.

Ugh, how disgusting.

Okay, that's taken care of. Now just what were you looking at?

You really shouldn't have trouble with these.

DS Version

No mistaking it. This has to be the Pomona Fruit.

Okay. I'll climb up and go get some for our client.

These beautiful, silver fruit must be the Pomona Fruit the client was asking for. Cassandra climbs up the tree and begins picking all the fruit in reach.

Ah, there we-hmm? Everyone! Look over there!

Suddenly, Cassandra notices something and yells down to the rest of the party.

DS Version

It seems that more ants carrying Pomona Fruit are moving on the path ahead. You can take the fruit you have now back to the bar, or pursue the ants for more.

Say... Think we'll get a bigger reward if we take back even more of those fruits?

Can't hurt to try. Let's go for it! :black101:

DS Version

Now this is where a curve ball gets thrown in. There's 3 Pomona Takers, and they can only move one tile every 2 turns. The first two will go after you, while the last one will try to escape through a secret passage. In order to get the maximum reward, you must kill all 3 Pomona Takers before they reach the red arrow. Otherwise, they'll phase into the wall and you'll have lost your chance. This is why you want to kill them quickly.

Fortunately, I manage to kill them all in time.

Your backpacks are straining with the fruits of your labor. The client will be happy!

Ha ha! What a haul!

There sure are a lot of ants here.

Geez kid, how short is your attention spa-oh yikes! What's with all the ants!?

Your high spirits only last for a short while before you realize something... There is an awfully large number of ants around here. Their nest could be nearby. Still, ant eradication is not your goal right now, so you decide to leave quickly.

We must have wandered into their nest. Or at least, we're close to it.

Maybe we should get out of here before they notice us. And before Sidney gets excited.

I heard that!

Scott gets a level up and gets even more power.

F2 Take Point:
Flame Fruit: 40% Gather Rate.
Moss Strawberry: 60% Gather Rate.
Scarlet Sage: Rare.
Common Gather Periods: 1 to 9.
Rare Gather Periods: 2 to 5.

The other Take Point on this floor. It's easier to farm for Flame Fruits here, but there's a bigger trip that you have to take to reach this place.

Here's another Mud Lurker.

While it might look easy to sneak past, that's only part of the puzzle. The first thing you want to do is sneak past it immediately.

Assuming you didn't kill it of course. I'm probably going a little overboard with killing FOEs, but they're wimps in this game. And they're one of the best sources of exp.

Ether Mastery now provides a 6% damage boost to elemental damage.

Here's the opening to that shortcut earlier. My inventory was getting full, so I go back to Armoroad. Also, I need to turn in that quest.

DS Version

Now Missy's response and the reward you get will differ depending on if you killed all the ants or not. If you failed to kill all 4 ants:

Welcoming! Did you acquire that rarest of foodstuffs? Hm... So this is a Pom—one of those. It’s hard, and has no particular odor... ...Anyway, I will be sure to deliver it to Espierre! Thank you for your hard working once more. Here is the reward! Well... I am hoping we get to work together again!

And you would only get 1 Madora for your troubles. If you did manage to kill all the ants:

...Not what I expected to hear, but okay.

The rest of her dialogue is the same. But the reward is different.

We get 3 if we killed all of the ants. :toot:

And a nice bit of exp.

I only unlocked one piece of equipment on this trip. While it's not too important to keep your armor updated all the time (it barely has an effect in most cases), for Hoplites, updating their armor somewhat frequently helps quite a bit. Now let's finish exploring the 9th floor.

DS Version

Oh and here's the nighttime splash screen for the 3rd Stratum.

And right back where we left off, here's the last Mud Lurker.

If you're traveling at day, you can't just take the top path to sneak past the one from earlier. Otherwise, this one will chase you down.

Instead, what you want to do is lure both Mud Lurkers to those tiles, and then walk behind them.

Of course I killed it for the sweet sweet exp.

I think I hear water!

Hoo. A cold drink would be nice at a time like this. But where is the sound coming from?

The cool sounds are too appealing to ignore as you venture through this unearthly heat. You are sorely tempted to search for the source of the sounds...

Let's look around.

You look around you and notice a few places where water may be flowing from. One is a small hole on a mossy rock at your feet... Another is upwards, inside a crack in the wall above you. A third possibility is the large rock a few steps ahead, which may be blocking a spring. After narrowing the possibilities to these three areas, you ponder your next move...

Don't do anything:

I don't think we have enough time to waste looking for a water source. We can drink water back in Armoroad. Let's go.

While fresh spring water would be appealing now, you don’t see it as being worth the risk. You reluctantly decide to leave this place and whatever water it may contain.

Move the nearby rock:

Okay, can you guys help me move this thing?

Erg. It's really heavy!

The entire party works as one to move the rock to the side. Unfortunately, all your hard work went for naught. There is only a wall behind the rock.

Well. That was a waste of time.

Inspect the crack in the wall:

I think the sound might be coming from that crack over there. Let me take a look.

Scott puts aside the party’s bags to climb the wall towards the crack. But just as Scott looks inside, a swarm of bats fly out!

AHHH!

The black shadows fly away, but the shocked Scott slips and falls from the wall!

Ow. I think I broke my keister.

Check the small hole:

You brush off the moss to find the hole is large enough for you to put both hands inside.

There's the water!

Mmmm. Ah! How refreshing!

You scoop surprisingly cool and refreshing water from the spring inside the hole.

And now we have a quick route to the stairs.

I hope the next floor has less magma to step on. I'm walking on nothing but burnt stumps!

My toes fell off a while ago.

Oh quit your whining. If it's really that bad, then we can have Faye take a look at them.

We're done with the 9th floor for now.

Oh great. There's even more of it on this floor!

I think I can hear the sound of my feet crying.

You don't even have feet anymore. None of us do. Except for Asteria.

Wah wah wah. We can keep going. Come on.

Cassandra. I think we all really could use a break. If we keep going at this rate, we're gonna have to use our torsos to walk. Of course I don't have to since I can fly, but you get the point.

Fine. We'll go back. Wimps.

New floor, so let's go back to town to see what the townspeople have to say.

DS Version

They were happy because now that you’ve discovered the Deep City, they can go on adventures there. So keep up the great work, and good luck investigating those caves!

DS Version

Did she do something? She’s my sister, and a bit of a fool, as you’ve seen. She’s drawn to the flamboyant and the ostentatious. She has a pretty face, but a shallow mind. Keep an eye on her... I don’t want to see her mismanaging the business on the ocean’s floor.

Is money all you think about?

You really should know the answer to that by now.

Say, have you been checking the message board regularly? The Tidehunt guild is starting to be famous! The Butterfly Bistro is proud to serve you!

Ahhhh... long time no see. Thanks to you guys, I can go off in search of new treasure. So relax, I ain’t gonna cadge anything off ya today. Ask me anything ya want.

How did you acquire that egg?

...Ooh, sharp eye ya got there. This is called a Round Egghell. It belonged to a Dragon Egg. I kinda downplayed it a little, but frankly, dragons are amazing. If ya want one of these, ya gotta avoid breaking its shell. Ya get the picture, right? Don’t tell anyone about it, okay? It’s our little secret!

Where'd you get the scale?

What, this? This is a Red Iron Scale. This one I got when a Rattle Nozuchi dropped it. They’re stuck on real tight, but zap one with a volt attack and the scales peel right off! Try it, you’ll see. Just don’t let anyone else in on our little secret...

Ooh! What about the claw?

I thought you might ask about this one! It’s a very, very sought- after little trinket. They call this a Flame Claw! It’s a flame AND a claw! What more could a man want!? It gets really hot to the touch, though... If you kill a Flame Lynx quickly, you might bag one. Easy, right? Just make sure you don’t tell anyone else... You gotta keep this stuff secret!

Nothing:

Not interested.

Ya wanna hear about this one? Or how about this one? Huh? Ya don’t really care...? ...Suit yourself...

Hey there, it’s been a while. I hear tell that the path to the lava cavern’s been opened. So, seen any Dragon Eggs? The magma makes it a popular spot for dragons to breed their young. Those eggs hatch into Dragon Pups, but if you aren’t careful, they’ll start calling for their mama. Eh, crass explorers who pick on monster kids and get toasted by their parents are asking for it.

Now what does Scott want this time?

Huh?

Oh not you. The other Scott over there.

You are accepting this request? Thank you, as always. This request is from the monster researcher, Scott. Remember the fossils you found before? Scott is thinking those fossils are related to monsters that live in the lava caverns. If he can research those bones, he might be able to fill in gaps in the biological history. So, we are wanting you to get Monster Bones from creatures living in the lava caverns. I hear you can get these bones from Flame Lizards, Cave Elephants, and Stegosauruses. It should be a breezing for you! Go to it, explorers!

What's this about a hot spring?

Are you accepting this request? It was made by Ottie, a geologist in the city. Did you know Armoroad is famous for its hot springs? Ottie wants you to research them. He has a theory that the hot springs’ source is in the lava area of the Labyrinth. Ottie suspects you can find the source on B10F. He wants you to go find it for him. There might be more than one hot spring source. Try looking for them all if you can! We’ll be counting on you to get this done. Go forth, explorers!

DS Version

Yeah. It's been really tough to go through.

Stay hydrated. By the time you notice how thirsty you are, you’ll be on the brink of death. I’ve fought in high-temperature conditions in the past... I know what a lifesaver water can be. ...Oh, and I also learned how great ale tastes after a long day of fighting.

Now that sounds like a good idea.

DS Version

I have some fish for you. The boy from the inn was fishing here, and he shared these with me. There’s an old sailor’s saying that goes, “If you want eternal happiness, take up fishing.” Why not give it a try? I can’t promise eternal happiness, but it’s fun nonetheless. After all, what else could bring a young boy like him and an old man like me together?

Hmm. I'll keep that in mind.

DS Version

It would make an old woman happy if you told me everything you saw and heard there.

Oh. It's a very...

DS Version

Bright, too, from what I’m told. Even though it’s underground, the rocks give off such light... That doesn’t change the fact that it’s a very dangerous place to be. Don’t let yourself forget that.

I don't think we can ever forget what it did to our feet.

DS Version

Days like these, I kind of wish I could go back to Armoroad. Sometimes I find myself wishing the Abyssal King would wander in here to buy something...

DS Version

Why, the Deep City owes its very existence to those technologies that allow us to survive here. We have Yggdrasil’s power to thank for it all. Olympia and even myself rely on it, too. Someday, you’ll see the might of Yggdrasil with your own eyes.

Next time: the 10th floor, and doing that mission the Abyssal King assigned us.o

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 23, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Stegosaurus is the strongest monster on this floor, and one you should be cautious around if you don't have any ways to deal with it quickly. Elemental attacks can take it down pretty fast. One saving grace is that they almost always appear alone, which makes them pretty manageable. And they take a while to take down thanks to their huge HP pool.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is an FOE in EO3U. It certainly looks like it'd be one.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I mean, Belle’s lived such a sheltered life that she weighs as much as a bell tower! She’ll probably have to lose some weight before she can even get out of her room... Hahaha!

:drat:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hey there, it’s been a while. I hear tell that the path to the lava cavern’s been opened. So, seen any Dragon Eggs? The magma makes it a popular spot for dragons to breed their young. Those eggs hatch into Dragon Pups, but if you aren’t careful, they’ll start calling for their mama. Eh, crass explorers who pick on monster kids and get toasted by their parents are asking for it.

If this is anything like what happens when you kill the two Furyfawns in EO4, then I can't wait to see this.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 20, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The bartender is easily the standout character of this game.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Night10194 posted:

The bartender is easily the standout character of this game.

It all depends on how much you can stand her gimmick, I guess. I found myself really missing the guy from EO2.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012
Finally caught up with this, really enjoying it so far! Is it true that nobody's completed an EO1 LP though? There are loads of meaner and lesser known games that have been done, so that seems weird to me.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There was one a long time ago, but the images have been lost to the eons. Then there was another one, but it petered out by the 4th stratum, still very good though.

I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before all mainline EO games are LPed. Just in time for more to come out!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It'd be nice if you could take screenshots of EO4 and EOU like you can with EO2U. That'd probably make an LP easier.

Granted, you'd still have to pause the game every screen to take a picture, so...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It'd be nice if you could take screenshots of EO4 and EOU like you can with EO2U. That'd probably make an LP easier.

Granted, you'd still have to pause the game every screen to take a picture, so...

Miiverse still only lets you save up to 100 pictures total. It's not ideal.

Really, the only feasible options are either to wait until emulation becomes viable or screen capture devices to go down in price.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Is there even an external 3DS capture card yet? Or is it still that one guy hardmodding 3DSs?

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

There was one a long time ago, but the images have been lost to the eons.

Oh, of course, old image hosting sites. Lots of stuff has been lost to those. I'm half tempted to do one myself, but I've not done any sort of LP before, and more importantly, I'm an awful writer. Don't think a straight informative LP would be terribly interesting. Ah well, as you say, it'll be done at some point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Skyridge posted:

Is there even an external 3DS capture card yet? Or is it still that one guy hardmodding 3DSs?

As far as I know, the only way to record 3DS games is to send yours to one of two guys on the planet and pay a fairly steep price to get it modded. Other than being a reviewer and buying one from Nintendo.

m4444 posted:

Oh, of course, old image hosting sites. Lots of stuff has been lost to those. I'm half tempted to do one myself, but I've not done any sort of LP before, and more importantly, I'm an awful writer. Don't think a straight informative LP would be terribly interesting. Ah well, as you say, it'll be done at some point.

Straight informative LPs of something would be fine. No need to worry about being funny since info is usually pretty interesting.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 23, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

m4444 posted:

SSLPs are a lot of work, but it is real satisfying to finish an update and watch all the replies and views pour in. EO games lend themselves better to narrative, but it's not necessary. You will be at it for a while though, it is a pretty long JRPG, more or less. Maybe go for something smaller to begin with?

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Straight informative LPs of something would be fine. No need to worry about being funny since info is usually pretty interesting.

My, you reply fast. I suppose it's more about being something I'd be happy with, rather then what's acceptable though. I think it'd be kinda boring, so I wouldn't want to put it out.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I feel like as a player of an Etrian Odyssey game I'm drawn to making little stories about my characters. I did name them, after all, and picked out bodies for them too. And the little adventure events ("Joe ate a poisoned Apple, -100 HP!") push me in that direction as well.

From that perspective it's no surprise that narrative LPs work well for the game. They reflect the average player's experience just as much as mechanics info does.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
The biggest problem I can see with LP'ing EO1 is that there's not a lot of room for varying up content from update to update. Even once you get Ronin and Hexer access halfway and 2/3 into the game, respectively, the class variety is really limited compared to later EO games, and the 10 level penalty for Resting combined with how hard it is to efficiently grind in EO1 massively discourages using different builds for different situations--you're pretty much always going to go for the same skills on any given class from run to run.

As such, there's not a lot you can do to introduce variety from update to update--you only have 6 classes up until the 3rd stratum, and there's not a lot of variety inherent in the Labyrinth itself. Contrast with EO3, where we have 10 classes available from the start, with the 2 unlockable classes bringing the total count up to 12 classes. Even a theoretical LP of EO4, which has the same number of classes available at the start as EO1, with 3 unlockables, would have more variety from update to update--the sidequests in EO4 are a lot more varied than in EO1, and the airship exploration + minor labyrinth system differentiates similar-looking sections of the game.

Rea fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 23, 2015

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

The biggest problem I can see with LP'ing EO1 is that there's not a lot of room for varying up content from update to update. Even once you get Ronin and Hexer access halfway and 2/3 into the game, respectively, the class variety is really limited compared to later EO games, and the 10 level penalty for Resting combined with how hard it is to efficiently grind in EO1 massively discourages using different builds for different situations--you're pretty much always going to go for the same skills on any given class from run to run.

As such, there's not a lot you can do to introduce variety from update to update--you only have 6 classes up until the 3rd stratum, and there's not a lot of variety inherent in the Labyrinth itself. Contrast with EO3, where we have 10 classes available from the start, with the 2 unlockable classes bringing the total count up to 12 classes. Even a theoretical LP of EO4, which has the same number of classes available at the start as EO1, with 3 unlockables, would have more variety from update to update--the sidequests in EO4 are a lot more varied than in EO1, and the airship exploration + minor labyrinth system differentiates similar-looking sections of the game.

This is a big part of why you'd need good writing to keep it going, though really most of that is due to the game being pretty rough as the first in the series.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Cheshire Phoenix posted:

Well, we already have a Monkey (sort of), a Ninja, and a Pirate, so all we're missing are Robots and Zombies?

A bit late, but if Zombie is actually one of the classes we need to name our party member Stubbs. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, that's an interesting way to use the FOE mechanic. Virtual countdown timer on the grand reward.

And here I was, thinking you'd get swarmed by ants rather than the other way around.

m4444
Oct 27, 2012

Glazius posted:

Oh, that's an interesting way to use the FOE mechanic. Virtual countdown timer on the grand reward.

And here I was, thinking you'd get swarmed by ants rather than the other way around.

When I first played this one I thought you had to follow them, like with the first one. Whoops.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I've never caught the rest of the ants. I didn't know that was even a thing you could do.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Game Mechanics: Ailments and Binds

Status effects have been a part of most JRPGs, and Etrian Odyssey is no exception to that. They're very powerful and can help turn the tide in your favor when you use them, or cause your party to enter a really unfavorable situation, and even get wiped when an enemy uses them.

I wouldn't say they're vital to use in a party, since there's several problems with using them. For one thing, while ailments and binds are powerful, they're not reliable in this game. You have absolutely no control over how long the ailment lasts. So it's possible for an ailment to wear off after 1 turn, which can be infuriating. So why not just inflict it again? Well, that's not something the game really let's you do.

See, inflicting ailments and binds got a big overhaul in EO3. In the first two games, you could inflict ailments and binds as much as you wanted. That's not the case anymore. Now something called Accumulative Resistance got added into the mix. Every time a target gets inflicted with a specific ailment or bind, they gain a 30% resistance to that specified ailment or bind. So if a target has a 100% resistance to Blind, getting hit with it once lowers it to 70%. And then getting hit with it again lowers it to 40%, and then 10%. If a target has a 0% or lower resistance to an ailment or bind, they are completely immune to it, and cannot be inflicted with that specific ailment or bind anymore. And bosses and FOEs are pretty resistant to them, meaning that it takes less time to make them immune to what you're trying to inflict. There is also no way to reset Accumulative Resistance in EO3, aside from dying. Which is a plus for your party since they're affected by this too. But when it applies to enemies, that's a big problem and hinders what the Wildling can do. Especially since enemies can't come back from the dead in EO3.

Accumulative Resistance combined with the fact that ailments and binds can wear off after one turn makes them really unreliable as a strategy, and difficult to capitalize on. The other reason is that big fights last a long time in EO3. Without a way to reset Accumulative Resistance and make ailments and binds last longer, it's just better to go on the offensive instead of disabling the enemy. Thankfully EO4 fixed those problems by introducing some skills that reset Accumulative Resistance and forced Ailments and Binds to last 1 extra turn, while the Untold games changed it to where Accumulative Resistance reset after 10 turns. Which meant disabling the enemy became a far more reliable strategy in future Etrian Odyssey games. But in this game? I wouldn't make your strategies revolve around them if I were you.

Now ailments and binds follow a different accuracy formula than offensive skills. You can't increase their infliction rates by increasing your character's accuracy rates. The way to do that is to increase your character's LUC and TEC stats, which are the main stats that determine how often an ailment will hit. The formula for inflicting an ailment is as follows:

Ailment Infliction Rate posted:

Ailment Score = (2 * Attacker's LUC + Attacker's TEC) - (2 * Target's LUC + Target's TEC)

If Ailment Score is less than or equal to -18, then X = Skill Accuracy
If Ailment Score is greater than -18, but less than 22, then X = [{1.17 + 0.83 * sin(0.07 * A - 0.20)} * Skill Accuracy]
If Ailment Score is greater than or equal to 22, then X = 2 * Skill Accuracy

Infliction Rate = X + a random number from 0 to 9

Basically, what this formula means is that with enough LUC and TEC, you can double your ailment success rate (and then add up to an extra 9% to that number.) So something like a Gladiator's Arm Breaker skill at level 10 would have a 60% success rate normally. But with enough LUC and TEC, the success rate can increase to 129%. But if their LUC and TEC stats are too low, well... it would be stuck at 60%. Maybe increasing to 69% depending on what the RNG decides. Did you notice that bug in the formula? Yep, if the Gladiator's Ailment Score was at -17 instead of -18 or lower, the success rate would actually plummet to 21%. This means that having much lower LUC and TEC stats than the enemy is beneficial and gives you a bigger chance of inflicting an ailment than having similar Ailment Scores. Though this applies to the enemies too, so be careful about that! This bug got fixed in EO4 (Yes, it uses the same infliction formula as EO3. So does EOU, except the devs messed up and accidentally made it so that 2 * TEC + LUC was the main formula instead of 2 * LUC + TEC. Doesn't apply at all to EO2U since ailment success rates only depend on LUC instead of both LUC and TEC in that game.)

After all that's calculated, the resulting number is then multiplied by the enemy's resistances. But it doesn't stop there. If the attacker is a Wildling's animal, the bonus chance from Wild Mastery is added to the resulting number after it's run through the enemy's resistances. However, if the enemy is immune to the ailment, than the bonus chance from Wild Mastery is not applied at all.

Now there's another multiplier that gets applied, but only in a few select cases. This multiplier is called Lethal Resistance, and it's applied only when trying to inflict Instant Death and Petrification on a boss or most enemies that have a 1% resistance to those. Now it's completely impossible to inflict Petrification on a boss, but Instant Death is a different story. The Wildling's Wild Mastery normally ignores resistances, so if they used Call Tiger, they would have a 15% chance to kill their target thanks to Wild Mastery. If it weren't for Lethal Resistance anyway. The Lethal Resistance multiplier is actually applied to the bonus chance that Wild Mastery provides, and there's 4 different values it can have. Listed below are those values, and what they reduce Wild Mastery's success rate to:

50%: 7.5% success rate.
25%: 3.75% success rate.
12%: 1.8% success rate.
6%: 0.9% success rate.

This is one of the few times the game actually makes use of decimals instead of rounding down to a whole number. So in the end, a max level Wild Mastery would only have a 0.9% to a 7.5% chance to kill a boss, depending on which boss you're fighting. (If you know how, RNG manipulation can ensure that you kill every boss instantly on the first turn with Call Tiger.)

Oh, and the infliction rates I put up for skills in the LP are the base infliction rates, not what could potentially be the actual infliction rates, so keep that in mind. Run those through the formula if you want to know the exact rates. Or just multiply them by 2 and add 9 to the end result to account for best or worst case scenarios.

Ailments:

There's 3 different categories of what can disable enemies (and your party.) Ailments, Binds, and Other. I'll be covering Ailments first. Ailments can only be applied one at a time, and they don't stack at all. However, there's something else you should know about them. See, there's a hierarchy of ailments. In all the Etrian Odyssey games, certain ailments have priority over others, and can override what's considered by the game to be weaker ailments. However, what the game considers to be weaker ailments cannot override what's considered to be stronger ailments. The ailment hierarchy is as follows:

1. Instant Death
2. Petrification
3. Curse
4. Plague
5. Poison
6. Sleep
7. Confusion
8. Paralysis
9. Blind

To give an example, a Blinded enemy can be Poisoned, but a Poisoned enemy cannot be Blinded at all. Any attempts to do so will always fail, so keep that in mind! This also applies to your party. Now let's talk about the ailments.

Blind: The target has their accuracy reduced by 66%. Their evasion is also disabled.

Methods of infliction:
Buccaneer: Lights Out – 42% to 70% infliction rate
Arbalist: Smoke Grenade – 30% to 80% infliction rate

Blind isn't one of the strongest disables since all it does is heavily reduce the target's accuracy, which can be handy sometimes but might just end up being a minor annoyance, depending on the situation. It also prevents the target from being able to dodge any attacks (after all, you can't dodge what you can't see.) But because of that, it's usually one of the easiest ailments to land, and can pretty much ensure that low accuracy attacks will miss most of the time. HIT forges apply their accuracy boost after the accuracy reduction from the Blind is applied, so those can help offset the accuracy loss.

Paralysis: Has a 50% chance to prevent the target from doing anything on their turn. Disables the target's evasion. Will prevent the use of Limit skills if the ailment prevents the target from acting.

Methods of infliction:
Monk: Kikouken – 30% to 50% infliction rate
Wildling: Call Cow – 25% to 50% infliction rate; Call Lion – 30% to 57% infliction rate
Yggdroid: EM Barrier – 30% to 50% infliction rate

Slightly more nasty than being Blinded. While Blind causes the target's accuracy to plummet, Paralysis can outright stop them from doing anything. And even if the effect doesn't activate, the target's evasion will still be disabled.

Confusion: Targets cannot choose their actions at all, and can only use regular attacks. Randomly attacks enemies, allies, or themselves while inflicted with this. Disables evasion and prevents use of Limit skills.

Methods of infliction:
Gladiator: Crushing Blow – 25% to 50% infliction rate
Wildling: Call Elephant – 25% to 50% infliction rate

Despite being low on the ailment hierarchy, this is one of the most deadly ailments in the game. It flat out prevents you from choosing an action for your characters, and they can't dodge attacks at all. So it kind of acts like all 3 binds at once. This ailment is capable of making strategies completely fall apart, and should be cured as soon as possible. It's a powerful one to inflict on enemies. While taking damage from their regular attacks can hurt, it's much better than being hit by one of their damage skills and could potentially shut then down for a long time.

Sleep: Target cannot act while inflicted with this. When attacked, the target will wake up, dispelling the ailment. If a STR attack was used to awaken the target, the damage dealt is boosted by 50%. Does not provide a damage boost to TEC attacks. Disables evasion and prevents use of Limit skills.

Methods of infliction:
Ninja: Fukubari – 10% to 40% infliction rate
Wildling: Call Owl – 25% to 50% infliction rate
Farmer: Lullaby – 15% to 60% infliction rate

This ailment can also ruin a battle for you depending on the circumstances. Not only does it disable your characters until they wake up, if they take damage from a STR attack, they take even more damage, which can possibly kill them. This doesn't affect TEC attacks at all. Not even the Zodiac's Meteor gets a damage bonus from hitting Sleeping enemies. As for trying to use Sleep to give someone a huge damage boost, that is a thing you can do in this game (it's a strategy known as Sleep Bombing.) but a lot of the best damage skills are multi-hit skills, and only the first hit will get the damage boost. Not something that can really help you that much in this game. It's easier to pull off in the later EO games.

Poison: Targets inflicted with this take a set amount of damage at the end of the turn. The amount of damage dealt depends on what was used to inflict it in the first place.

Methods of infliction:
Ninja: Makabishi – 40% to 60% infliction rate; 15 to 50 damage ticks
Wildling: Call Insect – 40% infliction rate; 50 to 350 damage ticks

Despite being high up on the ailment hierarchy, this is probably one of the worst ailments in the game. Well, when your party tries to use it anyway. It's much more deadly in the hands of the enemy. When your party tries to make use of it, the best they can do is take a really small chunk of HP. And the amount of damage player based Poison can deal becomes more insignificant as the game goes on. When an enemy uses it, it can give your party a bad time. If your party gets low on HP and gets inflicted with this, the Poison could end up killing them all.

The damage formula for Poison damage is Base damage + a random number from 1 to 10.

As for how much Poison damage a weapon with Poison Forges could deal, the formula for that is (Weapon Attack / 2) + a random number from 1 to 10.

Yeah, Poison Forges are pretty much useless since the strongest weapon in the game has a Weapon Attack power of 225. And if you think that's useless, the Poison Gas item, which infects every enemy with Poison has a base damage of 0! Yeah. I don't even know what was the devs problem with Poison since having the enemy take damage was much less useful than locking them down. Fortunately, they caught on in the later EO games and improved how much damage Poison could deal, and lowered it on the Ailment Hierachy.

Plague: Targets inflicted with this take a set amount of damage at the end of the turn. The amount of damage dealt depends on what was used to inflict it in the first place. At the end of the turn, any of the target's allies have a 10% chance of being infected. This chance is influenced by the target's and party's TEC and LUC stats.

Methods of infliction:
Wildling: Call Ooze – 40% infliction rate; 30 to 300 damage ticks

Kind of a weird ailment, and this is the only game it made an appearance in. It's basically the same thing as Poison, except it's contagious. And like Poison, it's more useful for the enemies than it is for the players. The player based Plague deals even less damage than the strongest Poison skill they can use!

The damage formula for Plague damage is Base damage + a random number from 1 to 10.

As for how much Plague damage a weapon with Plague Forges could deal, the formula for that is (Weapon Attack / 2) + a random number from 1 to 10. Yeah, it's the same thing, and equally useless. Most things I've said about Poison can apply here.

Curse: Whenever the target attacks, they will also take damage in return. The damage is equal to half the total damage they dealt that turn. The damage does not take effect until the target's action is used up. Meaning that damage from attacks that hit multiple times or multiple enemies will be added up, and half of that total will be dealt to the target when attack is finished. If the target kills someone, they won't take Curse damage if the attack was single target. And if the attack hit multiple people, the targets that died won't have the damage they took applied to how much Curse damage the target takes.

Methods of infliction:
Monk: Darkness Fist – 30% to 60% infliction rate

Generally considered to be the most useless ailment in the entire series when used by the player. But when an enemy uses it, it can make the player's life a lot harder. This is because EO falls under the JRPG rule of players dealing more damage to enemies than what enemies can deal to them in terms of sheer numbers. The worst part is that since Curse so high up on the Ailment Hierarchy, it can't be overridden with a better Ailment if you happened to inflict this on your target. It also means that it won't go away easily when it's applied to your party.

Well there's a semi-cheesy strategy you can use that involves Curse. While you can't send in a bunch of weaklings to take large amounts of damage so the target will take Curse damage, the target will still take Curse damage if the people they tried to attack happened to be under an endure effect, like the Indomitable Limit. But there's not really a lot of places you can pull that off in the game and Curse is a hard ailment to inflict.

Petrification: The effects of this skill differ depending on whoever is inflicted by this ailment. When an enemy gets inflicted with this, they die instantly. If your party members get inflicted with this, they are permanently immobilized and cannot act until the ailment is dispelled. Their resistances to every damage type (except for Almighty) is set to 50%, no matter what equipment they're wearing. Disables evasion and prevents the use of Limit skills. This is the only ailment that cannot wear off on its own and persists outside of battle. It must be dispelled with the use of a skill or item. If your entire party gets Petrified, it counts as a game over.

Methods of infliction:
Ninja: Izuna – 25% to 45% infliction rate

And here's the worst ailment to be hit by. Petrification permanently disables your party members and it persists outside of battle, forcing you to cure it instead of waiting for it to wear off. Now Petrified allies aren't counted as dead, so they can still be attacked and gain exp. Of course if they die, they can be revived and they'll be turned back to normal upon revival. Don't bother trying to inflict this on bosses. Most of them have a 1% resistance to it, and Izuna can reach a 99% at best. Which will then get rounded down to 0% so it's impossible to inflict it on bosses.

Binds:

Now here's the 2nd category, binds. There's 3 different kinds of binds: Head, Arm, and Leg binds. When a body part is bound, skills that make use of that body part won't be usable until the bind falls off. Not only that, but each bind applies a side effect that can make life hard for the party. Unlike Ailments, binds do stack with them, and with other binds. So it's possible to be hit with all 3 binds at once (and you'll be in big trouble if that happens.) Binds are especially effective on enemies, because while the game will prevent you from selecting skills that use a bound body part, it doesn't apply the same courtesy to the enemy. Meaning that they can waste several turns trying to cast an unusable skill. If you're playing the first game, that doesn't apply. Most bosses will just stop using skills that require a bound body part if you happen to land the right one on them. No idea why the later EO games dropped that.

Head Bind: Cannot use Head skills. Target has their TEC stat halved, which causes them to take more damage from TEC attacks.

Methods of infliction:
Buccaneer: Hanging – 42% to 60% infliction rate
Wildling: Call Bird – 25% to 50% infliction rate
Farmer: Strange Seeds – 20% to 60% infliction rate

Probably one of the worst binds a support can be hit by. A lot of support skills use the head, so this can completely shut them down. Head Binding an enemy can give a huge damage boost to your Zodiac if you're using one.

Arm Bind: Cannot use Arm skills. The damage output from the target's STR attacks is halved.

Methods of infliction:
Gladiator: Arm Breaker – 40% to 60% infliction rate
Wildling: Call Snake – 25% to 50% infliction rate

The worst bind a physical attacker can be hit by. Most physical attacks use the Arms, and even if they have access to attacks that use other body parts, their damage output won't be stellar. A very good bind to use against enemies that make use of physical attacks since that will cripple their damage output. Add in a Hoplite's defenses on top of that, and your team will be taking no damage.

Leg Bind: Cannot use Leg skills. Disables the target's evasion and prevents them from escaping from battle.

Methods of infliction:
Ninja: Kagenui – 33% to 60% infliction rate
Wildling: Call Mole – 25% to 50% infliction rate

An annoying bind to be hit by, but also the weakest bind in the game. There's honestly not too many skills that uses the legs, and while disabling the target's evasion can be handy/deadly, it's not exactly as crippling as being hit by a Head or Arm bind. Still, don't underestimate it, as some enemies can capitalize on this very easily.

Other:

And here's the last category of Status Effects. These aren't affected by Accumulative Resistance and don't fall into the other 2 categories. Technically Petrification falls under here, but only when applied to the enemies. It's just another ailment when applied to your party.

Death: Dead enemies are permanently out of the battle while dead party members cannot act until revived. There are also ways to instantly kill the target without dealing a specific amount of damage. Instant Death ignores endure effects.

Methods of infliction:
Ninja: Kubikiri – 7% to 20% infliction rate
Wildling: Call Tiger – 5% to 20% infliction rate
Shogun: Kaishaku – Always procs

Instant Death got a pretty big buff in this game (when used by the enemies. For the players, it got a big nerf.) For one thing, it's not considered an ailment anymore, so skills that can protect you against ailments no longer work against it. And the rates at which you can inflict it got a massive nerf. As for inflicting it on bosses, well believe it or not, you can actually kill them with Instant Death in this game! This is because most bosses have a 1% resistance to it instead of being immune to it. Only 2 bosses in the whole game are immune to Instant Death. (Boy, EO1 and 2 Dark Hunters would have a field day in this game.)

Kubikiri is nice against random encounters, but it's not gonna proc often when fighting FOEs, and it won't work at all against bosses since it'll have a 49% success rate at best, which gets rounded down to 0%.

Call Tiger by itself won't be killing any bosses, it's the bonus chance provided by Wild Mastery. But in the end, it only has a 1.65% to a 7.65% chance to kill a boss instantly. (Unless you were to manipulate the RNG to get a kill on the first turn.)

Kaishaku is a special ability. For one thing, it completely ignores the target's resistances when it procs. This includes Lethal Resistance, as it skips that check entirely. Granted the target has to be under a certain HP threshold and the ability has to proc in the first place. Really the 1% resistances were to accommodate for this ability. However, Keishaku can't ignore complete immunity to Instant Death, so keep that in mind.

Stun: Target cannot act for the current turn. Has no effect if this is inflicted after the target already took an action.

Methods of infliction:
Gladiator: Stun Attack – 20% to 55% infliction rate
Wildling: Call Lion – 30% to 57% infliction rate
Shogun: Hilt Strike – 30% to 50% infliction rate

This isn't actually considered to be a true ailment since it only lasts for one turn. However, because of that, Stuns aren't affected by accumulative resistance at all. You can inflict this as many times as you want, and it stacks with ailments and binds! But good luck with inflicting it, since this game lacks a guaranteed method of doing so, and FOEs and bosses are pretty resistant to it. And chances are that your Gladiator and Shogun have better things to do other than using weak attacks in an attempt to inflict it. As a kicker, their low TEC and LUC stats drop their chances of inflicting Stun even further. Sure, there's the Wildling's Lion, but that animal falls asleep every time it attacks, so it's not also a reliable way of inflicting Stun. The other thing is that you have to make sure that the Stun is inflicted before the enemy makes their move, otherwise it has no effect. So the Gladiator is terrible class to try to inflict Stuns with since they're really slow. At least the Shogun and the Lion are fairly speedy. Overall, not really something worth making use of.

Overall, ailments and binds can be powerful and turn the tide in your favor if you get lucky. But as the game goes on, they get far less effective to use against bosses and FOEs since they get more and more resistant to them. The fact that you can't inflict ailments repeatedly and that you have no control over how long they last really makes them unreliable to revolve your strategies around. If you really want to make use of ailments, just play the later Etrian Odyssey games where disabling enemies with them is a much more viable strategy.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 27, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Well, I planned on putting up the Wildling Class Showcase along with this, but I have to reformat several things due to the nature of that class, and honestly these writeups are pretty exhausting to write compared to regular updates. They're pretty much burning me out, but they're the only things I can actually post since I haven't had time to play EO3 recently and won't have time to do for a while.

Minor correction on an earlier gameplay thing, there is a 3rd source of Almighty damage you can use. The Wildling's Call Lion ability deals Almighty damage, except the Lion falls asleep every time it attacks, so it's not really a reliable source of damage.

Also fun fact about EO4: You can instantly kill or petrify every single boss in the game there. Nothing is immune to those. Well, nothing except for the Bared Essence and Warped Savior. The Heavenbinger and her body parts? And the Insatiable Pupa and the Warped Savoir's limbs? Fair game. However, Untold put a stop to that kind of fun.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 27, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You can do what in EO4? :psyduck:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Isn't the Fallen One not even particularly resistant to instant death or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ShadeofBlue posted:

Isn't the Fallen One not even particularly resistant to instant death or something?

By far the easiest way to defeat the Fallen One is to walk up to him and have a Nightseeker shout "USA NUMBER ONE" and insta-kill him with Assassinate.

• Locked thread