Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
that's handy

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

unironically :neckbeard:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Remember in like 2010 when it was cool to jailbreak iPhones and they had that functionality and it worked flawlessly

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

emoji posted:

Remember in like 2010 when it was cool to jailbreak iPhones and they had that functionality and it worked flawlessly

nope

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

emoji posted:

it was never cool to jailbreak anything

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Kenny Logins posted:

it was never cool to jailbreak anything

what about el chapo

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

emoji posted:

I jail broke my 1st gen iPhone and had a neon theme. Then I realized it was stupid and restored.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

emoji posted:

no but i remember jailbreak/cydia/whatever having swiftkey/swipe/whatever back in 2008 or 9

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i don't remember jailbreaking my iphones because they were perfectly functional

it is unfortunate to see that apple is deciding to bolt on useless features that are popular with people who think jailbreaking is a good idea

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i jailbroke my iphone for a little while back in the ios5 days, i forget why but then ios6 basically fixed whatever problems i had so i un-jailbroke and never thought about it again

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

this was in the first iOS 9 beta (used two fingers i think) but they removed it to keep the functionality exclusive to the 6s. lol

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Binary Badger posted:

i dunno but this iPhone 6 review really bothers me on a visceral level

http://www.buzzfeed.com/nicolenguyen/iphone-6s-review#.aoXyg90Gd2

first mistake: "I don't care about tech specs" what a maroon

gj linking to probably the best and most relevant iphone review ever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

triple sulk posted:

this was in the first iOS 9 beta (used two fingers i think) but they removed it to keep the functionality exclusive to the 6s. lol

it might also have been because dragging with 2 fingers on a phone screen sucks since they left it in for the ipad

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
maybe they opened it up wide because no one had the force touch stuff yet too

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the answer is that they're a rudderless shadow of their former selves desperately flinging whatever "features" they can at the wall to see what the market best responds to rather than crafting a quality product

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

the answer is that they're a rudderless shadow of their former selves desperately flinging whatever "features" they can at the wall to see what the market best responds to rather than crafting a quality product

my iphoen6 is the bes t phoen iv eever owned an dbetter than anyn old iphoens or android failphones. ssorrry for uyour lots

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

my iphoen6 is the bes t phoen iv eever owned an dbetter than anyn old iphoens or android failphones. ssorrry for uyour lots

you must not have had an iphone 4s with ios 5 which is the best phone and will remain so for the forseeable future

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

regardles they are fuckin dominating

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

echinopsis posted:

they're dominating cause they make the best products

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

thread in /r/Android full of nerds bowing at the knee in deference to apple's untouchable processor design chops

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3lzz0h/thoughts_on_the_new_a9_chip/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cremnob posted:

do you belieb that they've lost or purposely moved away from some of the factors that have created such fanboyism since the early days?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is aapl a good buy rn

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

echinopsis posted:

do you belieb that they've lost or purposely moved away from some of the factors that have created such fanboyism since the early days?

apple's core values remain the same

echinopsis posted:

is aapl a good buy rn

yep

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cremnob posted:

apple's core values remain the same

yuouve said before that youve noted that fanbois have recently been disapointed with decisions that apple have made. like no shop sales so no camp outs. etc

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/Y0AeTNj.jpg

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

no that was what u said

the only fanboys that are disillusioned are ppl like marco and the apple developer/enthusiast community that listen to his podcast and read his blog

remember marco's "apple has lost the functional high ground" post? he followed that up with this less read post http://www.marco.org/2015/07/12/climbing-back-up

here he basically admits that it all came down to discoveryd lmao. the question is how did apple go from "losing the functional high ground" to this in just 7 months? its because nothing actually changed at apple except for the mood swings of marco and the fan/developers in that community. his first post was vague because hes a bitch and because he was running into some discoveryd caused problems and feeding off the other devs on twitter posting about how their apple devices had duplicated like a million times in network settings and then turned that into a vague post. the vagueness is what let it go viral , the fact that he didnt talk about anything specific lets all the apple fan/developer dweebs project whatever annoyance or bug they're experiencing and make it into a generalized "apple software quality is declining" meme. the first ATP episode after that post he basically got destroyed by siracusa after he spent like 20 mins or w/e making his case.

go here
https://overcast.fm/+CdR7bvgo/40:18

siracusa disagrees completely and even said they were getting better lol. the funny thing is you could sense the first post was coming because on twitter he was whining about the latest app store policy drama devs cry about and other stuff. and the second post was obivously coming after seeing that gruber-phil interview where phil called marco out and said he was a big retard and was wrong. but the thing that made him write that post was because it was clear to anyone that saw that interview was how connected and plugged in to all the dumb gripes that the "apple community" talks about, it was easy to tell that marco was like "wow they actually hear us" and was impressed. you think he would make that second post and admit that it was just discoveryd otherwise? gently caress no

i dont call him a bitch for no reason. ive been on this gently caress for a while and ive got him figured out and i can tell u hes a straight up bitch

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the difference is hes got a platform and dweebs in the apple fan/developer community that seem to mostly exist on twitter feed off each other and thats hjow these memes propagate

you think any of these hardccore and longtime apple fans are the same crowd or are as bitter about apple as they are? fuyck no

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/09/technology/personaltech/apple-mac-user-groups-devotees-press-on.html?smid=tw-share

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cremnob posted:

i dont call him a bitch for no reason. ive been on this gently caress for a while and ive got him figured out and i can tell u hes a straight up bitch

holy gently caress

thanks for the writeup

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

also actually read that second post and see how its written. theres a whole lot of bullshitting and then he sort of kind of admits that he was wrong but hedges it a little. then he ends it with this little bit

quote:

It’s still scary that such a critical component could ship in such a buggy state, breaking common tasks and tarnishing Apple’s reputation, without being fixed or reverted for almost a year.

But fixing this is major progress. And seeing the direction and priorities of iOS 9 and El Capitan, I have high hopes that we’re moving in the right direction again.

:jerkbag:

that's why hes a bitch. his personality is poo poo and thats why he bitches so much about twitter trolls and ppl hating him lmao

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

zen death robot posted:

So about that Chinese malware that Apple let slip into the App Store via some counterfeit version of Xcode....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/23/us-apple-china-cybersecurity-idUSKCN0RN07W20150923

yeah, it's apples fault that the Chinese pirate literally everything, even free dev tools

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

zen death robot posted:

It's kind of their fault for not catching it during the app approval process for something like 6 months.

touché

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love that Asia pirates poo poo. love giving the middle finger to huge corporations

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
i just love to finger corporations

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Athletic Footjob posted:

i just love to finger corporations
same for echi, except girls' buttholes, at burger king

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kenny Logins posted:

same for echi, except girls' buttholes, at burger king

have it ur way

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

zen death robot posted:

It's kind of their fault for not catching it during the app approval process for something like 6 months.

none of that xcodeghost stuff broke the sandbox or used actual exploits once on devices. how exactly would app review catch something like an app sending its own login credentials to a server it wasn't supposed to? or, in response to a server, display a regular login box (like every other online app does)?

demand source code for all submissions?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
hold the phone, the verge got an early review unit this year? even with nilay being such a whiny baby about the watch? someone bring Katie Cotton back from retirement for one last mission

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

joanna stern's review was pretty much as expected: focus on a single issue (battery life) and be vaguely effusive about most of the rest

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cremnob posted:

they're dominating because tim is more committed to triangulation and compromise than steve was

steve made quality products and success followed naturally, but not the unsustainable level of profit that tim is seeking

there is no debate that if someone came to steve with a phone design that had a huge, ugly camera wart on the back and tried to justify it with "well, people want better cameras!" that steve would have fired them on the spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

echinopsis posted:

Stux posted:

don't quote stymie you retards

• Locked thread