Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pomp posted:

I'm gonna hold nintendo hostage and my demands will be a new Metroid without sakamoto's involvement

I've been hoping the Splatoon dev team would get handed a new Metroid project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Pomp posted:

I'm gonna hold nintendo hostage and my demands will be a new Metroid without sakamoto's involvement

So another Retro Metroid?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
hello friends! last night I played a little more shovel knight! I really like when I die its usually my fault (misplaced jumping or my finger slipped) but I can rescue my gems so it is not a total loss. when I get really good I am going to try the levels and smash the checkpoints for more gems!

I also have been failing utterly at Mario picross. I think I get the basic idea but as its all in Japanese I keep messing up! I may get a regular one on my 3DS then I should be able to transfer my abilities.

I also like playing with demos! the number of runs thing is an odd choice on a demo but I will allow it as at least they actually exist!

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Super Mario Galaxy had just the right amount of story, the only problem was you couldn't skip the cutscenes.

In the NES Mario games, you could start playing immediately since they were designed to be played from the beginning each time. In the New SMB games, everything that takes your control away takes a million times longer.

Twilight Princess and Other M at least had someone realise that no-one would sit through those cutscenes a second time.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Parrotine posted:

So another Retro Metroid?

I'll offer up my first born as a blood sacrifice for this, I just need nine months and an altar.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Kojima should make the next 3D Mario game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Id rather he make the next Zelda since that game actually is actually of a similar genre with creative inventory use, combat, etc.

I'll take any Kojima take on a Nintendo game though. Like a Kojima Pikmin where Olimar has to uncover a Hocotatian government conspiracy to turn their vegetables into fruit, because the upper echelons of government have been replaced with imposters from that Pikmin 3 race.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Toad 2 is probably the ideal Kojima project since it already has stealth elements

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

greatn posted:

Id rather he make the next Zelda since that game actually is actually of a similar genre with creative inventory use, combat, etc.

You'd have the option to bring Epona, Wolf Link, Zelda, or Fi with you. Of course, Zelda would get captured at some point.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Motto posted:

Miyamoto's silly about this, like how he thinks Galaxy had too much story.

It wasn't that he thought it had too much story, he was angry at any story elements that Koizumi snuck past him hoping the higher-ups wouldn't notice.

quote:

WN: So after Link’s Awakening, was your work mostly concentrated on writing for the games themselves? Also, in a broader sense, Nintendo’s games don’t usually pursue big, dramatic stories. How would you compare that to the way other cinematic video games are done? What style is better for getting the story across?

YK: You’re right, EAD doesn’t tend to focus on the big story in most of their games. But I was the one coming up with scenarios, just on my own, ever since the time of Link’s Awakening. But even at that time, I felt like I came up with this entire scenario and a backstory for Link, but nobody really seemed to care. They were always saying, let’s not try to push the story forward too much.

So I would sort of try to find sneaky ways to get it in without them noticing too much. For example, I always liked the idea of you coming upon another character and hearing little bits of conversation that slowly begin to reveal different parts of the story. And that was the way that I tried to work on Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask. A lot of the EAD games that do seem to have a lot of story, a lot of that came from my influence. But those are aspects of the games that Miyamoto wasn’t nearly as fond of and occasionally didn’t like.

http://www.wired.com/2007/12/interview-super/

Miyamoto was so butthurt over Rosie's storybook giving her a backstory, that he pre-emptively "put a stop to that" when Galaxy 2 began development

Miyamoto posted:

"I just feel that the Mario games are something that should be a much more bright and active experience. With the Mario games, you don’t need to have such a complicated setting where you have these particular characters with complicated backstories that can weigh down the bright and fun feel of the game."

"Mr. Koizumi is the type of person who, whenever we’re working on a new Mario game, he always wants to bring more story elements into it, as he did with Super Mario Galaxy. But in talking with him this time, he agrees and feels that with Galaxy 2, there won’t be a need for as deep of a story." (kinda sounds like miyamoto bullied him into this lol)

NL: Koizumi could just be saying that, of course, because he's continually tried to sneak story elements into Mario and Zelda games, and who's to say he'll actually stop? He's responsible for the dream-plot of Link's Awakening, the original Galaxy's storybook hub and the little nuggets of story you can gleam from talking to people in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

“Well, I put a stop to that at the beginning, this time,” Miyamoto said, and for emphasis punched the air with his fist.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2009/06/miyamoto_borking_super_mario_galaxy_2s_story

Excels fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 23, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

That loving Sned posted:

You'd have the option to bring Epona, Wolf Link, Zelda, or Fi with you. Of course, Zelda would get captured at some point.

You would also have the option for the sorceress from Hyrule Warriors of course. Speaking of, Reaper, where were you and your love for anime titties upon that games release?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Mario platformers really don't need a story beyond 'peach has been kidnapped' or 'bowser is doing something bad, go stop him'

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Mario platformers really don't need a story beyond 'peach has been kidnapped' or 'bowser is doing something bad, go stop him'

They don't need it, but that extra level of presentation made Galaxy a lot more memorable in my eyes.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

M&L: Paper Jam is going to be the best Paper Mario game ever, I can feel it

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Help Im Alive posted:

I agree with this, but they should still mix it up more than they have been recently. SMB3, which is by far the best mario, basically has no story, but the goal is unique: each kingdom has a king and they've all been transformed into monsters, so you need to visit each kingdom and transform them back.

With the "New" series they've just gone back to "bowser kidnapped peach" again and again, and it feels almost like parody by this point.

edit: actually, in retrospect. peach was captured in 3 too, right? But at least there's a little more going on than that

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

With the "New" series they've just gone back to "bowser kidnapped peach" again and again, and it feels almost like parody by this point.

There's a reason for that too. Miyamoto again.

quote:

They always want to have these dramatic scenes where Princess Peach gets kidnapped, but I always tell them, no, it’s fine — Princess Peach likes cake, so you can just have them use cake as bait to kidnap Princess Peach, and that’s enough. [...] I was thinking they could have these big ships come in, and they’ve got these big chains all over them, and they drop a plate down with cake on it.

also SMB3 was a stage play

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

I agree with this, but they should still mix it up more than they have been recently. SMB3, which is by far the best mario, basically has no story, but the goal is unique: each kingdom has a king and they've all been transformed into monsters, so you need to visit each kingdom and transform them back.

edit: actually, in retrospect. peach was captured in 3 too, right? But at least there's a little more going on than that

They switched it up in 3D World a little at least (probably just because Peach needed to be playable)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

playing as peach beating the poo poo out of bowser was very satisfying.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Excels posted:

Agreed.

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Excels posted:

Domestic abuse isn't cool.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Stories about Bowser kidnapping Peach are fine, and Nintendo is okay about putting twists in them when needed. I liked in Galaxy 1 how "intense" his whole invasion was, and Paper Mario 1's story was just about kidnapping the princess.

The next platformer should do the thing where Peach has unique levels of her own around Bowser's lair. That'd be cool.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

CoolCat posted:

Domestic abuse isn't cool.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chieves posted:

The next platformer should do the thing where Peach has unique levels of her own around Bowser's lair. That'd be cool.

Yeah. Maybe take a cue from the Nintendo Power SMW comic and just make it so that she kicks off the game by going after Bowser when he pulls his airship bullshit again.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Hey guys. I'm just about to preorder Yoshi's Woolly World. Just a heads up.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

buy it used, please don't support NoA holding games hostage for months for no reason

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tatsuta Age posted:

Don't preorder it. Preorder the version with the Wooly Yoshi amiibo :colbert:.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

posted:

For example, I always liked the idea of you coming upon another character and hearing little bits of conversation that slowly begin to reveal different parts of the story.

posted:

He's responsible for the dream-plot of Link's Awakening, the original Galaxy's storybook hub and the little nuggets of story you can gleam from talking to people in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. 

this guy sounds rad

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Excels posted:

buy it used, please don't support NoA holding games hostage for months for no reason

Or buy it anyway because not buying it only sends the message that "Hey, maybe Yoshi games don't sell in the US so let's not sell anymore."

Or don't buy it beacuse it's not your thing. Either way.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

oddium posted:

this guy sounds rad

he is. unfortunately he is also the only person at nintendo who seems to give a poo poo about lore.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Excels posted:

im going to buy it new on launch day along with a pink yarn yoshi amiibo and there's nothing you can do to stop me

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Motto posted:

They don't need it, but that extra level of presentation made Galaxy a lot more memorable in my eyes.

OTOH, Super Mario Sunshine probably would have been better if they condensed the story and cut down the cutscenes.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

OTOH, Super Mario Sunshine probably would have been better if they condensed the story and cut down the cutscenes.

If they put Phoenix Wright in Smash Bros his reveal trailer should be Turnabout Sunshine

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Excels posted:

gonna buy dis new to spite people with broken brains about videogame "business" poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Excels posted:

lol welcome to being European for the past thirty years, bitch

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Aww, I actually liked the Story book stuff in SMG1.

Though it does feel like any time Nintendo does something huge with a story, fans hate it. Like Other M and the SMB movie.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Don't be a big baby and just buy Wooly World. It's chill as gently caress and fun to boot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Buy Wooly World so that the ghost of Artoon will stop haunting Nintendo.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Pretty sure most of Nintendo's games sit around finished for months before they come out

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Excels posted:

Or buy a bunch of games, including a pre-order for this, to help Nintendo financially since they are getting creamed this generation but still makes the best games that exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Excels posted:

he is. unfortunately he is also the only person at nintendo who seems to give a poo poo about lore.

What the hell does this mean.

• Locked thread