Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
All this talk about the Descent made me wonder why it sounded so familiar when I never saw it. Looking around, I was confusing it with the Cave which somehow came out a month after with a weirdly similar premise.
Well, unless "people go down hole and hole has monsters" is more of a trope than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HGH posted:

All this talk about the Descent made me wonder why it sounded so familiar when I never saw it. Looking around, I was confusing it with the Cave which somehow came out a month after with a weirdly similar premise.
Well, unless "people go down hole and hole has monsters" is more of a trope than I thought.

Well, claustrophobia is effective as a horror device, see: Alien, Aliens.

The Descent is a good horror movie, by the way.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
what was that anime pat was talking about in the podcast?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My Love Story

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Are you implying I'm exuding a honkey field?

Good pat quotes this week

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mesothelioma posted:

what was that anime pat was talking about in the podcast?

Ore Monogatari, if you're a weeb.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey Matt good on ya calling the Scream reference there. The dude playing Josh was basically channeling Stu and Billy the whole time there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am weirded out by how quickly Josh dissolves into basically just inane gibbering. But I guess if I spent an entire year completely devoted to planning out an extremely gory and terrifying revenge plot based on a traumatic personal event I'd go nuts as soon as it didn't turn out as I hoped too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CJacobs posted:

I am weirded out by how quickly Josh dissolves into basically just inane gibbering. But I guess if I spent an entire year completely devoted to planning out an extremely gory and terrifying revenge plot based on a traumatic personal event I'd go nuts as soon as it didn't turn out as I hoped too.

They talk about 'off your meds' and poo poo to him at some points. Dude has Actual Brain Problems and most likely just broke when the whole 'my best friends kinda sorta killed my twin sisters' thing went down. It's not very realistic but hey, this is a b horror movie, we give that a pass.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

boss please put a shirt on

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
When they got the diary if they had turned the pages back then it mentions Josh going to see doctors for mental care. So he's legitimately got brain problems.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Liam being super wrong about Mother Base soldiers.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Liam getting super mad at Matt and Pat refusing to give Umbrella Corps a chance was pretty fantastic. Like he just started blazing through topics trying to change the subject before it could get any worse. Also they barely talk about p5, wow.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I blame whatever source that woolie read off of, because I took a look at it and it was shot and missing huge news.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

tbh the rate these episodes are coming I can barely remember who the gently caress Jessica was let alone what happened to her, did she actually die or did she fade to black like everyone else has besides josh's saw thing

until dawn seems like a pretty good movie tho

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Indecisive posted:

tbh the rate these episodes are coming I can barely remember who the gently caress Jessica was let alone what happened to her, did she actually die or did she fade to black like everyone else has besides josh's saw thing

until dawn seems like a pretty good movie tho

Last we saw Jessica, Mike was hovering over her barely-alive body, then the elevator she was laying on collapsed and she fell down a huge mine shaft. Mike is treating her as if she is dead, we haven't seen her since, and the guys picked up a death totem of her slamming into the ground at a very high speed, so I'd assume she's out of the picture.

I agree with the sentiment that Until Dawn is a really cool horror b-movie though, I really don't even care if it's got all the cliche story beats because it at least has some fun with them. I like that it manages to be interactive without going out of the bounds of its own world to squeeze in extra gameplay (there's no, like, "earn 5000 points shooting the sand bags to impress Ashley!!" minigame or whatever at the start).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 23, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jessica was the girl who was pulled through the window like 6 episodes ago and fell down an elevator chute.

She's alive as of right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This was a great MGS episode with some giffable moments like the guard's rear end inexplicably causing a table to explode into bits.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm modestly annoyed that Liam isn't scanning everyone he knocks out for kidnapping recruiting.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

RareAcumen posted:

I'm modestly annoyed that Liam isn't scanning everyone he knocks out for kidnapping recruiting.

He has more recruits than he knows what to do with because of the off-screen grinding.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The auto filter is good enough that scanning is a waste of time until you upgrade to tell who's a troublemaker.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

CJacobs posted:

Last we saw Jessica, Mike was hovering over her barely-alive body, then the elevator she was laying on collapsed and she fell down a huge mine shaft. Mike is treating her as if she is dead, we haven't seen her since, and the guys picked up a death totem of her slamming into the ground at a very high speed, so I'd assume she's out of the picture.

Meta spoiler for Until Dawn:

Until you see a character graphically die on screen, in-game, with a big "This Motherfucker Is Seriously loving Dead" closeup, they aren't dead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sad Mammal posted:

Meta spoiler for Until Dawn:

Until you see a character graphically die on screen, in-game, with a big "This Motherfucker Is Seriously loving Dead" closeup, they aren't dead.

True to horror movie cliches even to the bitter end, I suppose. :v:

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ehh. If he's gonna snag them anyways, no point in bothering.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Tae posted:

I blame whatever source that woolie read off of, because I took a look at it and it was shot and missing huge news.
He linked an n4g link that links to a lovely looking blog I've never heard of. What the hell Woolie?
If you want news on Japanese stuff just use Gematsu or Siliconera. They give nonstop coverage to that sorta stuff.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Commissar Ken posted:

Also crotchety old man and frequent child on lawn chastiser Jeff Gerstmann practically called Mario Maker a triumph so i'm not sure what Liam's deal is.

I've been warming up to Jeff a lot in the past couple of months because I love his rants on stuff like Destiny and the black hole of clicker games and have been listening to the SBFC and the Bombcast back-to-back. Plus, he's been around in the biz for a while and knows his poo poo.

Baal posted:

Liam getting super mad at Matt and Pat refusing to give Umbrella Corps a chance was pretty fantastic. Like he just started blazing through topics trying to change the subject before it could get any worse. Also they barely talk about p5, wow.

I finally got to this part a couple of hours ago and literally was like :stare: when he yelled at Pat to shut the gently caress up and called his a "facetious rear end in a top hat". Jesus, dude. The game barely exists and you already have this bizarre burning passion for it with defending it so staunchly. At least wait until it's near release to make a decision about it, or better yet, wait until you can play it yourself.

Liam would fit right into the Games subforum here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Charles Martel posted:

I've been warming up to Jeff a lot in the past couple of months because I love his rants on stuff like Destiny and the black hole of clicker games and have been listening to the SBFC and the Bombcast back-to-back. Plus, he's been around in the biz for a while and knows his poo poo.

I finally got to this part a couple of hours ago and literally was like :stare: when he yelled at Pat to shut the gently caress up and called his a "facetious rear end in a top hat". Jesus, dude. The game barely exists and you already have this bizarre burning passion for it with defending it so staunchly. At least wait until it's near release to make a decision about it, or better yet, wait until you can play it yourself.

If you like to hear jeff talk dirt about the industry and game history, if you've got a gb premium membership check out their demo derby videos. Each episode they go through absolutely everything on a demo disc from whatever era/console it happens to be from, including all video, text, advertising, and secret content. They're some of the best gb videos outside of the golden age of giant bomb (when it was just vinny/brad/jeff/ryan and eventually patrick) and in my opinion worth the membership alone. Really informative at times too now that jeff seems to have joined drew and Dan on them for good. I'm hoping they'll start them up again soon, they've hinted at their return recently now that pax and such are over.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jar Time With Jeff is also a good side-show if you want to learn more about Jeff's involvement with the games industry and Giant Bomb in general. Also worth watching for the intermittent funny responses to people asking him if he's feeling ok because drat that dude looks depressed all the time and people will never stop bugging him about it. :v:

Charles Martel posted:

Yeah I also figured people were exaggerating when they said he got real mad, and then I actually listened to the podcast and I shared your sentiment. At least you can't say Liam isn't passionate about the stuff he likes, I guess! :sweatdrop:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 23, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"Are you happy Jeff?"

" You can see their panties."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Not to make this insulting and I hope you don't take it that way, Matt, but I find it sad that the friendcast by a country mile is the most extensive at covering news, and I listen to a lot of vg podcasts. As much as I like to egg on woolie for missing a couple stuff from time to time, he is still getting twice as much as the next site.

A lot of podcasts never mentioned Karin or the general capcom ranking system.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
That rescue scene with huey was bugged for me and his character model didnt load in so the only thing i saw was his floating glasses

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Depths posted:

That rescue scene with huey was bugged for me and his character model didnt load in so the only thing i saw was his floating glasses

That entire fight bugged out for me twice. The first time, Sahelanthropus' AI just didn't acknowledge me, it didn't move at all. But then Pequod wouldn't land either, so I was stuck. The second time, the opposite happened and Sahelanthropus got STUCK in alert, regardless of how much I hid, it'd just follow me. Even when it lost line of sight for like five full minutes, just walked after me.

Liam is the god-drat worst for trying something ONCE in a game, then concluding it will never work.

Like saying headshotting the wandering Mother Base troops with tranqs and CQCing them doesn't work. Yes it loving does. None of those side ops too me any longer than like, 5 minutes.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 23, 2015

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been weirdly frustrated with videogame sites lately and there aren't really any really good one. Giantbomb is pretty okay but they can have some really bizarre opinions on videogames and aside from the occasional news article or review its mostly just them reposting trailers or their weekly live show.

The Bestfriendcast is pretty good for news and fairly good at catching most of the big stuff. I really liked those "what's coming out this month" videos too because that's actually kind of useful to remind me of stuff I normally wouldn't remember.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cmykjester posted:

I've been weirdly frustrated with videogame sites lately and there aren't really any really good one. Giantbomb is pretty okay but they can have some really bizarre opinions on videogames and aside from the occasional news article or review its mostly just them reposting trailers or their weekly live show.

The Bestfriendcast is pretty good for news and fairly good at catching most of the big stuff. I really liked those "what's coming out this month" videos too because that's actually kind of useful to remind me of stuff I normally wouldn't remember.
Well it's not like best friends don't have some really bizarre opinions on video games too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

cmykjester posted:

Are you listening/watching Giant Bomb East stuff?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

Well it's not like best friends don't have some really bizarre opinions on video games too.

Bizarre in a heavy nostalgia old man thing and not bizarre in a "criminal girls is okay, fire emblem is not."

New Jersey giant bomb is cool and good, though.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah. The Beastcast and the play dates are the best content on the site right now. I wish east would try a little harder.

I had my coffee today and I'm done whining about games journalism and I don't want to derail this thread into talking about Giantbomb. Sorry!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tae posted:

Bizarre in a heavy nostalgia old man thing and not bizarre in a "criminal girls is okay, fire emblem is not."

None of the Best Friends have such an opinion. On the other hand, every one of them dums on Just Cause when it comes up which makes me want to peel my skin off.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Rodyle posted:

None of the Best Friends have such an opinion.

Ouya Apologist Liam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Do not even ask posted:

Ouya Apologist Liam

Loves FE. Pat's the one who hates it.