Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Soonmot posted:

gently caress private companies, nationalize all utilities.

Hodgepodge posted:

Not an expert on the subject, but when was the last time a car company voluntarily helped build a road or a bridge?

There we go, I was wondering where the flaw was in that argument.

With the common carrier model, I thought that carriers which own networks have to lease it at-price to other companies. Is that correct? Doesn't that imply they still own it / manage it?

e:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/02/dont-call-them-utility-rules-the-fccs-net-neutrality-regime-explained/ posted:

One thing they were clear on: this isn’t “utility-style regulation,” because there will be no rate regulation, Internet service providers (ISPs) won’t have to file tariffs, and there’s no unbundling requirement that would force ISPs to lease network access to competitors.

Oh that didn't happen. Also welp, Bush is a dumby!

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blowdryer posted:

With the common carrier model, I thought that carriers which own networks have to lease it at-price to other companies. Is that correct? Doesn't that imply they still own it / manage it?

e:

Oh that didn't happen. Also welp, Bush is a dumby!

They can, but they can also sell their service and lease a less good service to their competitors, which is happens now with DSL.

And yeah Net Neutrality is hilarious on both sides. On our side it morphed from "companies are doing immoral poo poo right now and killing your precious Netflix*" to "oh well these rules are good because it maintains the status quo where everything is fine".

*The really funny part is everyone getting tied up about CDNs (servers on the ISPs network that can host content, like Netflix or your Steam games) and calling them "internet fast lanes". Then the new regulations come out and CDNs are still just as freely available as they were before.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Blowdryer posted:

What incentives do companies have to upgrade the common infrastructure if whenever they upgrade it their competitors get the benefit as well?

I'm a fan of net neutrality but this argument was raised to me by a lawyer who used to work with the FCC.

Because it isn't a zero sum game. You may as well ask "what incentive do companies have to engage in trade if whenever they do their counterparts benefits as well?"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blowdryer posted:

What incentives do companies have to upgrade the common infrastructure if whenever they upgrade it their competitors get the benefit as well?

I'm a fan of net neutrality but this argument was raised to me by a lawyer who used to work with the FCC.

Well, that's a good argument as to why these networks should be nationalized (or at least taken over by state government). Just like other infrastructure networks are -- roads, electric power, etc.

Basically common carrier laws are one way of addressing natural monopolies.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Has Bush advocated anything that the average American will benefit from? Pretty much everything he's stumped for is a blatant hand out to his rich backers mostly at the expense of everyone else. Normally I'd expect to see populist bones thrown out here and there but with JEB! it's all just graft for his buddies and he's being very upfront with it and not trying to sugarcoat it at all. Is he that confident that the race is his that he doesn't even have to try and campaign?

The other non-Trumps are at least playing up the culture war bullshit but Bush seems to be presenting his Presidency as "gently caress you!" and it's really weird.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 23, 2015

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Has Bush advocated anything that the average American will benefit from? Pretty much everything he's stumped for is a blatant hand out to his rich backers mostly at the expense of everyone else. Normally I'd expect to see populist bones thrown out here and there but with JEB! it's all just graft for his buddies and he's being very upfront with it and not trying to sugarcoat it at all. Is he that confident that the race is his that he doesn't even have to try and campaign?

The other non-Trumps are at least playing up the culture war bullshit but Bush seems to be presenting his Presidency as "gently caress you!" and it's really weird.

Republican primary voters are too ignorant and stupid to care. They just vote for the candidate that sounds the least liberal now, or at least the one who claims to hate browns the most. Bush's wife is Hispanic, so that makes it kind of tough to hate the browns unless you play the "one of the good ones" card at the same time, tapping 2 white mana to do so.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Radish posted:

You just package it as the "Right to Rise" campaign, make a few noises about social mobility, and the media will do the rest for you, talking about Trump and Planned Parenthood instead of your regressive tax plan.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

Republican primary voters are too ignorant and stupid to care. They just vote for the candidate that sounds the least liberal now, or at least the one who claims to hate browns the most. Bush's wife is Hispanic, so that makes it kind of tough to hate the browns unless you play the "one of the good ones" card at the same time, tapping 2 white mana to do so.

Yeah but at least Fiorina, Carson, and Cruz are out they talking about baby killers, evil Muslims, and Christian persecution to actually get the crazy GOP primary voters interested. Bush is just talking about how he going to gently caress you so he can cut some more upper class taxes while probably keeping yours the same. It's like he's specifically trying to win the votes of an incredible minority while his opponents are trying to actually win.

Antti posted:

You just package it as the "Right to Rise" campaign, make a few noises about social mobility, and the media will do the rest for you, talking about Trump and Planned Parenthood instead of your regressive tax plan.

I think that might have been his plan but now the media is too enamored with the Trump show to do his homework for him so he's turning in a term paper with a title, an intro paragraph, and nothing else then thinking the teacher isn't going to notice.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 23, 2015

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Yeah but at least Fiorina, Carson, and Cruz are out they talking about baby killers, evil Muslims, and Christian persecution to actually get the crazy GOP primary voters interested. Bush is just talking about how he going to gently caress you so he can cut some more upper class taxes while probably keeping yours the same. It's like he's specifically trying to win the votes of an incredible minority while his opponents are trying to actually win.

Well, from the way people ITT talk it sounds like he doesn't have to pander for votes since he'll get the nomination no matter what.

I guess his hope is, since it's kind-of early days yet, is that people will just drop out and he'll be one of the last men standing and then the real pandering can begin.

Also, this:

Antti posted:

GOP voters are really very stupid; it doesn't take much to get them to vote for you - just don't be brown, don't be liberal, and be rich, bonus points for businessmen since "American needs to be run like a business."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

Well, from the way people ITT talk it sounds like he doesn't have to pander for votes since he'll get the nomination no matter what.

I guess his hope is, since it's kind-of early days yet, is that people will just drop out and he'll be one of the last men standing and then the real pandering can begin.

I thought this was going to happen as well but I'm becoming less and less sure of that as JEB proves he is the dumber brother and the base wants actually red meat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scott Walker, who is a failure, had the shortest campaign for president in history.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

I thought this was going to happen as well but I'm becoming less and less sure of that as JEB proves he is the dumber brother and the base wants actually red meat.

Also, from the primary thread:

TyrantWD posted:

We were never getting anything other than Bush vs. Clinton in 2016. I honestly don't think the Bush campaign is even concerned with the current polls. Sitting in 4th place means he can continue to ramp up his ground game without much scrutiny or attacks to fend off. Trump is a lightning rod protecting Bush's campaign, and a foil to make Bush appear more reasonable and presidential. Hillary would love to have someone like Trump soaking up the media spotlight on the Democrat side. Bush will comfortably sit in the single digits until late Fall, and then get into serious campaign mode in time to place Top 2 in New Hampshire, before taking control of the race as the clear front runner on Super Tuesday.

As much as I would love to see Trump win, he is not a serious candidate. Obama was able to win because he invested in building up his own political machine to combat Clinton, is Trump going to do the same? Probably not. I don't think Trump himself believes he is a legitimate candidate with a serious chance of picking up the nomination. He will continue to hold rallies, and give interviews and if it miraculously results in winning the nomination - great, if not Trump will have had his fun, picked up a lot of fans, and go back to picking out the most gaudy finishings for his new buildings. He even said as much in an interview this week.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Radish posted:

Side effect of his huge donor income/ base. His "base" is all crazy wealthy Republican elites, those are the only people he has actual conversations with, he ends up thinking that what they want is what everyone wants.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

So the DHS intends to enforce Real ID-compliant documentation when flying in the US in 2016. For the majority of people this is no change, your driver's license or state ID card is compliant. If you live in New York, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Louisiana, and American Samoa though, your driver's license is not compliant and won't be accepted. Right-wing news sites are flipping out about OBAMA MAKING YOU CARRY DOCUMENTS LIKE NAZI GERMANY even though they've been trying to get this done since 2005.

So do the special enhanced New York licenses that let you enter Canada without a passport handy count for Real ID or no?

Blowdryer posted:

They're already upgrading common infrastructure all the time, the argument isn't even reality-based enough to be wrong. If they hadn't been everything would still be as slow as it was 15 years ago, which it ain't. Net neutrality doesn't change any of that, because it's been the status quo since the late 80s, and is also the global status quo.

And this gets done by mutual agreement between the companies on either side of a given off-network connection, while internal improvements go on continuously regardless.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Side effect of his huge donor income/ base. His "base" is all crazy wealthy Republican elites, those are the only people he has actual conversations with, he ends up thinking that what they want is what everyone wants.

His insular social circle has a huge influence as well. If you never interact with people outside your little clique of rich fuckers you'll stick out like a sore thumb when you try to.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Nintendo Kid posted:

So do the special enhanced New York licenses that let you enter Canada without a passport handy count for Real ID or no?

Yes, those work.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This is a very good analogy, even with WW2 I don't think Americans ever expected that could happen.

The problem was our WW2-era response to the whole thing (if our response to WW2 was "let's invade India! (or any other completely unrelated country").

Lots of things about the war on terror make more sense in a WW2 context.

Like "you forgot Poland."

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

zoux posted:

Scott Walker, who is a failure, had the shortest campaign for president in history.

quote:

The complete and utter collapse of Scott Walker's presidential bid appears to bring to an end the shortest presidential campaign since at least 2000.

History is about 16 years long, right?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
also, fun Muslim fact: Cedar Rapids, Iowa holds the oldest continuously extant mosque in America.

It's... extremely Iowa.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 198 days!

PleasingFungus posted:

also, fun Muslim fact: Cedar Rapids, Iowa holds the oldest continuously extant mosque in America.

It's... extremely Iowa.

That is the least threatening possible mosque.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

PleasingFungus posted:

It's... extremely Iowa.

Holy poo poo is that Iowa as hell

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PleasingFungus posted:

It's... extremely Iowa.

I was surprised that the oldest mosque in America was in Cedar Rapids, Iowa until I looked at the picture. That building couldn't possibly be located anywhere else.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
They are building a new mosque here in Cedar Rapids. It is actually a rather nice and impressive looking building, I drive by it pretty regularly when I'm going across town for something.

Edit: Apparently the one I drive past was originally built in 1971, but it seems like it has been renovated because I've seen them doing lots of work on it.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 23, 2015

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

PleasingFungus posted:

It's... extremely Iowa.

Would bet money they have potlucks in the basement after the service every week.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

PleasingFungus posted:

It's... extremely Iowa.

Haha, somehow the fine builders in Ceder Rapids managed to make a mosque look like a grain elevator.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Haha, somehow the fine builders in Ceder Rapids managed to make a mosque look like a grain elevator.

I was gonna say it looked like a converted storefront restaurant or something.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 23, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

History is about 16 years long, right?

I believe history began in 2008.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If they control the media, they might want to do something about the WGN graphics team.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

If they control the media, they might want to do something about the WGN graphics team.

Obama's city, like Obama, not very friendly to a certain group.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Chuck Grassley is giving a running commentary of the Pope's visit on his twitter and it is very Chuck Grassley. Highly recommended if you want the details on towels the White House staff is using to wipe up dew.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Holy poo poo.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Hey, Jude!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Joementum posted:

Chuck Grassley is giving a running commentary of the Pope's visit on his twitter and it is very Chuck Grassley. Highly recommended if you want the details on towels the White House staff is using to wipe up dew.

What happened? This was supposed to start at 9am

lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

quote:

Somebody fr whitehouse just chkd sound system for pope visit. The gentleman correctly counted 1to 10 and did it loudly

Amazing how much of his personality comes across in 140 characters. :allears:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Joementum posted:

Please tell me they were actually talking about the holocaust or something.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

When Google image searches for "Star of David" go terribly, terribly wrong...

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

hangedman1984 posted:

Please tell me they were actually talking about the holocaust or something.

It was a segment on Yom Kippur.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Joementum posted:

Jesus, you weren't kidding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I bet when you ride in the car with Chuck Grassely he reads the names of all the billboards and signs he sees out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the gentleman correctly counted 1 to 10 and did it loudly.

hahaha

• Locked thread