Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Can I have a link to the last thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Elukka posted:

Skinks aren't allowed to take officer positions on Caiman ships but I think there was some way to do the trench coat thing with skinks and fool the caimans into thinking it's one of them?
                                          /

do not listen to him! do not let skinks be officers!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Option 2

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Option 2 - We need to get rid of Genghis Rex, the crapulent bastard.

e: ^^^ As a honorable agamid I reject these slanderous accusations of skinkhood.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 23, 2015

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Elukka posted:

Option 2 - We need to get rid of Genghis Rex, the crapulent bastard.

e: ^^^ As a honorable agamid I reject these slanderous accusations of skinkhood.

:eyepop:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Update

We're in space somewhere between Haldus and Becrux. This two day trip gives enough time for your weapons officer to (mostly) recover. After a stint in the medbay Chubbs and his dippy bird are ready to return to his console, even if the near-death experience has scarred him badly. We used 60 energy for the jump and 10 energy to put Chubbs back on his feet.

The corruption and greed of the crew has already gotten out of hand and we decide to make an example. You hatch a clever scam with Bugglesworth, your trusty valet, and he scampers off to discredit Ghengis Rex and ruin the legitimacy of his title.

I roll 1D6 and get a 1 - Ghengis loses his bridge crew position but Bugglesworth can't get away in time and loses more than his tail. Their graves need no flowers: the tapes have recorded their names.

:rip::rip: Died 2047.259 of a broken heart
:rip::rip: Died 247.259 eaten in the line of duty

Plenty more where they came from - four more skinks at least.

Here's the adventure sheet - we're missing two crew. The good news is we pass the crapulence test with flying colours (crapulence is now below our captain's leadership so it's an auto-pass).

Before we arrive in Becrux we have another loose end to tie up:

comedyblissoption posted:

Summon Ironjaw.

I Greyhound posted:

Also, Page 132, please. Tell Ironjaw to get his rear end up here.

Two decisions needed here :

first, what do we do with this Ironjaw situation?
second, who do you want for crew?
I can pick randomly as the rules state but if you have any preferences let me know. We need a new engineer, a new valet, and (probably very shortly) a new shields/security officer.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Elric posted:

Can I have a link to the last thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727561

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'm voting for this guy as our new chief engineer:

Applewhite posted:

Earl Lord Sir Billingsbert Wertwhistle Pewterghast IV ESQ. his exceptionally high inbreeding coefficient makes him very expendable.
He'll probably be a terrible engineer, and he's an upper class twit even by Caiman standards, but his crapulence is low and he's usually good for some comic relief.

Other candidates:
Gumble Pudkins
Temmulo Stiffbert
Horton Pingpong
Baloney Stools

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gilganixon posted:

first, what do we do with this Ironjaw situation?
second, who do you want for crew?
I can pick randomly as the rules state but if you have any preferences let me know. We need a new engineer, a new valet, and (probably very shortly) a new shields/security officer.

See if there is a Valet that gives you a bonus to negotiations and then head on down to Ironjaw's room and try to talk him out. There's something fishy going on down there, and we're just the Caiman to by gosh get to the bottom of this!

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Use SuGaBa to find out what Ironjew is doing

I dunno about choosing a crewman - maybe have a contest to see who is worthy

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

See if there is a Valet that bgives you a bonus to negotiations and then head on down to Ironjaw's room and try to talk him out. There's something fishy going on down there, and we're just the Caiman to by gosh get to the bottom of this!

If Ironjaw is the victim of a skink conspiracy, would we be able to trust the reports of our valet?

I propose we go down in person. Worst case scenario we get a death scene and those are half the fun of playing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Who's the Caiman that's an obvious riff on Sean Connery?
He'd make a good engineer and we'd get to read all his dialogue in Sean Connery's voice.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If I recall correctly, Valets all have pretty high expertise by Croc standards but make up for it by having abysmal fighting stats and at least one crew position they absolutely, positively cannot perform correctly, right?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Dr Cheeto posted:

If I recall correctly, Valets all have pretty high expertise by Croc standards but make up for it by having abysmal fighting stats and at least one crew position they absolutely, positively cannot perform correctly, right?

Spot on. The last guy was particularly bad at navigation (if he had tried it he would have splattered himself and damaged the ship). All the others have at least one job they can't do.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
id prefer random as per the rules. randomness is fun :)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Benedict Brutus Iscariot MacMordred of Quisling for Engineer. He seems like a trustworthy fellow.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Applewhite posted:

Benedict Brutus Iscariot MacMordred of Quisling for Engineer. He seems like a trustworthy fellow.

+1 vote for this.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Man I wish I found this thread sooner. Guess I'll wait till it makes the front page to read through it all, looks great so far.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

djwetmouse posted:

Man I wish I found this thread sooner. Guess I'll wait till it makes the front page to read through it all, looks great so far.

It's only 7 pages dude, get on the bus!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

djwetmouse posted:

There is a summary of the story so far in the OP. Just read through that and jump to the end. You'll be all caught up in a couple of pages of discussion.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I say we recruit Bob for engineer. Yes yes, I know what you're all thinking, he doesn't have at least five names, but on the upside, he has low crapulence, which might be something we need right about now.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

djwetmouse posted:

You've only missed the tutorial system. The story so far is that we're a bunch of useless space crocodiles in a ship that's too good for us. We're running from some aliens that blew up our homeworld. So far while running away we've tried to scam a civilisation by pretending to be its gods, got nuclear missiles fired at us, beamed down to the surface, sort of won a fight and swiped an espresso machine and some slaves, then blew up the planet before buggering off into jump space. I don't think that misses too much out.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I vote for random as a gently caress you to all the name dropping dickmongers.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Al Borland posted:

I vote for random as a gently caress you to all the name dropping dickmongers.

Well gently caress you right back and I'm sure Pyroi feels the same way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Reiterating my vote for Donald Plover as Valet, IIRC he can prevent some disease effects that might come up soon but he's also twice as likely as other Valets to be eaten every roll

Mostly I just like him because he's a little bird that rides around in our mouth :3:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Two randoms, two Benedicts and one Bob for Engineer. I'll wait for the tie to be broken on this important issue.

Donald Plover
deserves a shot at Valet having missed out last time round.

Re: the shields officer - go in yourself or get SuGaBA to check are the suggestions I've seen and they're tied. Any other suggestions or anyone want to back either of these courses of action?

I'm scanning in a bunch of Becrux stuff now. If we don't get killed there at least once I'll be surprised.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Nation posted:

Use SuGaBa to find out what Ironjew is doing

I dunno about choosing a crewman - maybe have a contest to see who is worthy

random crewman

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Applewhite posted:

this longest name is best name, right?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Benedict

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Let's be really careful here. It night be the ship AI slowly replacing idiot crew members to make the ship more efficient. We don't want to have a machine uprising. (We'd lose)

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

concoct conspiracy with crew and computer to mislead Ironjaw into thinking we are outside a marvelous pleasure planet full of mountains of gold, live chickens, hot springs, and horny big-titted gators and we need one more crew for the away team. Then beam him away into hard-light hyperspace so he may suffer for a subjective aeon for insubordination and (no doubt) plotting a mutiny against our munificence.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I'm pretty sure this dude just wants to be left alone with his crocodile anime dolls or whatever. Ruin his fun, bust in.

If this is the start of SuGaBA's insurrection then we're already boned. You think Baron Drinky-Bird is gonna help when the AI is going haywire?

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
The fact that Ironjaw apologised seems to point pretty strongly to him being a collective of skinks or some other lesser species. (Though if he's just a crocodile version of a space weeaboo that'd be pretty funny)

The only way to find out is to barge in and die as gruesomely as possible!

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Benedict for crew member

have sugarbear scan ironjaw's room.
I bet he doesn't even have royal blood or any titles and is therefore not inbred and has big terrifying jaws and is a svelte murder machine

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Equip the prosthetic jaw in case of trouble and barge in. Have the computer unlock the door on captains authority.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Claven666 posted:

Benedict for crew member

have sugarbear scan ironjaw's room.
I bet he doesn't even have royal blood or any titles and is therefore not inbred and has big terrifying jaws and is a svelte murder machine

This

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Plover for valet, and have SuGaBa scan Ironjaw's room, but do it discreetly so the rest of the crew can't see the results. Equip our jaw prosthetic just to be on the safe side.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
But ironjaw's room is so far away from our throne room. Better send the slaves in and have SuGaBa open the way.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Let's be really careful here. It night be the ship AI slowly replacing idiot crew members to make the ship more efficient. We don't want to have a machine uprising. (We'd lose)
If we have SuGaBa do the scan, SuGaBa can graciously lie to us so we don't kill ourselves. Also what kind of captain sullies his hands by being forced to go to his subordinates?

Scan the room with SuGaBa and wear the prosthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I've already scanned in the other page, you monsters!

If it's any consolation, SuGaBA would just tell you there's nothing to worry about and you'd learn nothing about the guy. At least this way we get to confront "Ironjaw".

• Locked thread