Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Huh, that's nice. At least with the stated lull between patches, I was able to make a character on Excalibur pretty easily. I guess I get to play this evening after all.

Now to relearn the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So got to do Alexander normal today - seemed pretty neat. Dig the mechanical theme and love the minimal trash mob thing. A4's room looks sick as hell and the quarantine mechanic was pretty cool. Judging from what I understand about Crystal Tower, future patches will add new "wings" to Alexander? But not 3.1?

Do the 24 man raids follow the same formula of basically no trash and a completely queue-able normal mode?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

So got to do Alexander normal today - seemed pretty neat. Dig the mechanical theme and love the minimal trash mob thing. A4's room looks sick as hell and the quarantine mechanic was pretty cool. Judging from what I understand about Crystal Tower, future patches will add new "wings" to Alexander? But not 3.1?

Do the 24 man raids follow the same formula of basically no trash and a completely queue-able normal mode?

The 24-mans only have queueable normal mode, no hard mode. The last two both went trash boss trash boss trash boss boss, with each set of trash being one pull in a big room.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

If it follows previous patterns, we'll see four more floors of Alexander in patch 3.2, at an escalated gear level and difficulty, right along with a new kind of tomestone. Then again in 3.4. Alexander is the Coil of 3.X, not the Crystal Tower.

Void Ark is the first (?) installment of Heavensward's Crystal Tower equivalent. 24 people, probably a little easier than Alexander Normal with no precise tankswaps or anything, I would expect the gear it drops to be i200.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ilifinicus posted:

suffering from the questies is an ailment you should try to cure

this is when you no longer can see zone maps because of all the quest icons btw

Why would I pick up quests loads lower level than my main class? Like I know some people do that but if I get to an area and there's some level 15 quests around and I'm level 25 (like the Gold Saucer one) I'm not going to get it.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

kafziel posted:

I would expect the gear it drops to be i200.

Along with items to upgrade the esoterics tomestone gear to i210.

e:V It already exists in the game but only from Alex Savage, like how the soldiery and poetics upgrade gear was in Coil before it got put in CT. Hopefully it'd be in the Void Ark though.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 23, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

Don't they add that after the next patch

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

e:V It already exists in the game but only from Alex Savage, like how the soldiery and poetics upgrade gear was in Coil before it got put in CT. Hopefully it'd be in the Void Ark though.

Definitely hope so, because all I really want from this game at this point is being able to dye my AF2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Taear posted:

Why would I pick up quests loads lower level than my main class? Like I know some people do that but if I get to an area and there's some level 15 quests around and I'm level 25 (like the Gold Saucer one) I'm not going to get it.

There's no reason not to pick up every quest you see, other than your quest log limit.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
Them being a tremendous waste of time, inefficient experience and clutter in your quest log is reason enough really.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Daniel posted:

Them being a tremendous waste of time, inefficient experience and clutter in your quest log is reason enough really.
Especially when you don't do them and it turns out they locked off some pretty swank stuff that would have made the last 5-35 levels way easier.

Also, Hildebrand is a side quest. Hildebrand is not any of the above things.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
Hildibrand, Gold Saucer and things that unlock challenge logs/the hairdresser dude are of course all worth doing. I suppose the trick is to know which quests lead to the good stuff. The first time I levelled a character it was before the experience buffs, so there were times when it came down to either doing FATEs for hours on end or alleviating some of that dire monotony by clearing any quests I could find. Now if I'm levelling a character, doing those quests would probably double the amount of time it took to level. If I can't remember which quest leads to a game feature I'd google it. This tact does require some prior knowledge of the game, unfortunately.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Daniel posted:

Them being a tremendous waste of time

You're playing an MMO, your time is worthless.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
I don't really find that to be a compelling argument

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

When I was leveling my second 60 I'd do quests while waiting for queues because why not.

Daniel
Jan 30, 2004

Dignified.
I guess it's really about how much FATE grinding you can stomach, because doing FATEs in that time is going to be a lot better for you in terms of experience but it's certainly a lot more tedious and I wouldn't begrudge someone going down a questing rabbithole for a while instead

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Daniel posted:

I guess it's really about how much FATE grinding you can stomach, because doing FATEs in that time is going to be a lot better for you in terms of experience but it's certainly a lot more tedious and I wouldn't begrudge someone going down a questing rabbithole for a while instead

It's pretty easy to go through the game doing quests, dungeons as you unlock them, and nearly never doing FATEs unless Lightning happens to be hanging out.

Why ever FATE grind?? If you don't have to grind.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Because even on your first 60, you're either going to have to grind FATEs, dungeons, or quests.

vOv fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 23, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I have been playing this game since launch day and there are a shitton of quests I haven't done. I'm an rear end breath away from my fourth level 60. gently caress questing.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Boten Anna posted:

gently caress questing.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ignoring questing is fine if you know what you are doing

if you're a new player you do not know what you are doing, so

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Even if you don't care about the quests, a good chunk of them are significantly faster than fates at the same level range and give basically the same experience plus gold and sometimes gear/items that are useful. Like I don't give a poo poo about the Doman adventurer's club, but the quests were fast as hell by skipping the cutscenes and I got a good chunk of experience for an off class with them.

Its really handy when a patch comes out and you don't have to actually look for any quests because your map isn't filled with them as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the Doman adventurer's club

Jesus Christ.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

You do realize the Doman adventurer's club has its very own section in the quest log, same as Hildibrand, right? Which suggests it's going to be a new ongoing "side story and funny cutscenes for the sake of side story and funny cutscenes" thing. Probably not replacing Hildibrand (Yoshi-P would probably not want riots) but certainly supplementing him at the very least. Doing those quests and skipping the cutscenes is like doing the Hildibrand quests and skipping the cutscenes, aka a Bad Idea.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Like I don't give a poo poo about the Doman adventurer's club, but the quests were fast as hell by skipping the cutscenes and I got a good chunk of experience for an off class with them.

You loving monster.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the Doman Adventure's club?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A level 57 or somesuch quest chain in Mor Dhona.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Truga posted:

A level 57 or somesuch quest chain in Mor Dhona.

54. You help a bunch of teenage domans recover a book stolen by some lalas.

And I watched a little bit of it but it's just dumb. I just can't find it in me whatsoever to give a drat about it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
As a soon-to-be 60 WHM that started playing this game after HW came out:

What is the Challenge Log?
What is the Golden Saucer?
I can DYE my gear?!

I have done virtually zero side quests, seeing as the main story took me to 55 without me needing to do anything else (i did the daily dungeon leveling roulette though)

I really enjoy this game but i have never seen an MMO so bad at explaining features or introducing you to side content like the stuff mentioned above.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

John Dyne posted:

e: poo poo and there's two dungeons I haven't unlocked cause they were side quests.

I did the same thing but fortunately the quest was literally "talk to this guy then talk to him again."

As far as quests go, I agree with "do all the quests" but I'm also not going to waste my time doing one that I outlevel by a bunch when I'm trying to get to 50 (and after that, 60), and also when I can change my level to something more appropriate (which also keeps me from just chain running dungeons and FATES to level). I'll generally pick up side quests that are in the same area as the MSQs I'm doing but once my level starts getting higher than them (and especially once the MSQ sends me to another area) I'm not staying around to do the rest of them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

IcePhoenix posted:

I did the same thing but fortunately the quest was literally "talk to this guy then talk to him again."

As far as quests go, I agree with "do all the quests" but I'm also not going to waste my time doing one that I outlevel by a bunch when I'm trying to get to 50 (and after that, 60), and also when I can change my level to something more appropriate (which also keeps me from just chain running dungeons and FATES to level). I'll generally pick up side quests that are in the same area as the MSQs I'm doing but once my level starts getting higher than them (and especially once the MSQ sends me to another area) I'm not staying around to do the rest of them.

Whizbang posted:

You're playing an MMO, your time is worthless.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah, I still have a boatload of 1-15 quests sitting around in Limsa and Thanalan. Doing a mix of dungeons, fates, MSQ, and questing never left me wanting for XP on my first 50. Why would I run across Ul'dah to talk to an npc for 300xp at 40+?

Oh and I had no idea the doman kids thing existed because what cues you in to ever go back at 54? There's cool HW stuff to explore, I'm not going back to mor dhona.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

so...you agree with me :confused:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Avynte posted:

Yeah, I still have a boatload of 1-15 quests sitting around in Limsa and Thanalan. Doing a mix of dungeons, fates, MSQ, and questing never left me wanting for XP on my first 50. Why would I run across Ul'dah to talk to an npc for 300xp at 40+?

Oh and I had no idea the doman kids thing existed because what cues you in to ever go back at 54? There's cool HW stuff to explore, I'm not going back to mor dhona.

The main story quest sends you to mor dhona and the quests all unlock when you're there. A bunch of new quest icons popped up on your map and in your recommendations.

I'm not saying that you need to do a level 15 quest on your level 59 job. However, there are a ton of combat classes that you need to level for cross class skills, etc, and those little dick around quests add up very quick especially considering you can snag up a ton and complete them simultaneously. For example, each new class quest has you go kill some level 1-3 monsters outside a major city. There are quests from NPCs in those same cities that have you killing the same mobs. You can do them all in one fell swoop.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

The main story quest sends you to mor dhona and the quests all unlock when you're there. A bunch of new quest icons popped up on your map and in your recommendations.

Ah well that was my fault then. I must have overlooked it in the release rush to push to 60.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Avynte posted:

You capped poetics again and went to mor dhona to cash them in. Next to the NPC, there's a non-repeatable quest there. I wonder what it might be!

That's how I found it anyway.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not saying that you need to do a level 15 quest on your level 59 job. However, there are a ton of combat classes that you need to level for cross class skills, etc, and those little dick around quests add up very quick especially considering you can snag up a ton and complete them simultaneously. For example, each new class quest has you go kill some level 1-3 monsters outside a major city. There are quests from NPCs in those same cities that have you killing the same mobs. You can do them all in one fell swoop.

But the point is that people will leave quests behind for this exact reason. Sometimes those quests happen to unlock important stuff.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The fact that I even need to do a quest to unlock something like the Challenge Log instead of it just being a thing I get at level 15 or 20 or whatever is dumb as hell in the first place.

Same with the dungeons outside the MSQ not just showing up in the duty finder when I hit the appropriate level (especially since at least two of them are literally unlocked by talking to a guy, no actual quest involved).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

The fact that I even need to do a quest to unlock something like the Challenge Log instead of it just being a thing I get at level 15 or 20 or whatever is dumb as hell in the first place.

Same with the dungeons outside the MSQ not just showing up in the duty finder when I hit the appropriate level (especially since at least two of them are literally unlocked by talking to a guy, no actual quest involved).

The unlock dungeons could just show up in the duty finder with a padlock and just say "you need to complete <quest> to unlock" the same way some of the roulettes will show up before you can do them and inform you of the unlock requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The only major unlock that I missed was fighting chocobo, and I eventually picked it up once enemies started getting somewhat tough and I just asked my guild where to go.

Had fun last night running an all goon CT. We even wiped on Bone Dragon for the authentic experience (anyone else disappointed Bone Dragon isn't and actual Skellie?) I hope Void Arc has a similar pubbie-brick wall.

• Locked thread