Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Archenteron posted:

Tonight in Codenames, we had 3 Assassin losses in 6-7 games, arguments over the use of "Star Wars" as a valid clue, and a spymaster who gave the clue "Mammal: 2" when on the board were Mouse (Neutral), Horse (Other Team's), and Platypus (His). At games end, he revealed the intended second clue for Mammal was Turkey :whoptc:

Codenames owns.

"Eggs: 2" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Everybody I've played Codenames with has preferred the stricter rule there, one word only (or they haven't had a preference).

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
What a bad way to play Codenames

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

rchandra posted:

Everybody I've played Codenames with has preferred the stricter rule there, one word only (or they haven't had a preference).

I've only played it with one word. The two word proper known thing just seems ambiguous

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Now I want to try a game where the spymasters give the clue using only cherades and cannot talk at all.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Combine with Dixit cards for maximum fun. But "one word" might be difficult for charades...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mojo Jojo posted:

I've only played it with one word. The two word proper known thing just seems ambiguous

If in doubt ask the other team's spymaster, as it says in the rules.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bubble-T posted:

Snakes and Ladders and Parcheesi?

This is a garbage metric too.

No it's not, those are kids games for teaching the concept of a board games to children. In that role they work quite well.

Bubble-T posted:

I don't think MtG would survive turning the content tap off. The community would be incredibly fractured based on what format people think is worth playing (basically houserules) and the cost of entry would be insane after a while.

I could only see this happening if they decided to completely revamp the business model and basically reset the game with reprints of a large number of non-legacy cards. Even then I'm skeptical.

Maybe it's just because I personally make a lot of proxy cards, but I could see MtG surviving long after Wizards of the Coast abandons it.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 23, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Rutibex posted:

Maybe it's just because I personally make a lot of proxy cards, but I could see MtG surviving long after Wizards of the Coast abandons it.

That is way more effort than a 'classic' game would sustain, I think. Unless the price and access of quality printing goes down hugely.

Internet play might work if WotC doesn't defend their IP at all.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bubble-T, every time I see your username I think Bubbl-He, a post delivery assessment for mothers...

B: Breast
U: Uterus
B: Bladder
B: Bowels
L: Lochia
H: Homan’s
E: Episiotomy and perineum

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bubble-T posted:

That is way more effort than a 'classic' game would sustain, I think. Unless the price and access of quality printing goes down hugely.

Cheap 3D printing (for thin plastic cards, which in a lot of ways would be preferable to the paper ones we currently have) combined with an integrated inkjet or laser process would make printing cards pretty painless and would also remove the need for DPs :v:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The last time I played Codenames, I asked if there was any limit to the number of words you could use if it was a proper name. I was told there is no limit, which seems like a dangerous loophole if someone wanted to abuse that rule.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Again, it must be real, actual names, and only one name per clue. I guess technically you can know a far too long movie or book title like "Othon, or: Eyes Do Not Want to Close at All Times, or, Perhaps One Day Rome Will Allow Herself to Choose in Her Turn" (thanks Google), but it's still limited by you having to use those exact words, which means that the long clue will probably also work for something unintended.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CaptainRightful posted:

The last time I played Codenames, I asked if there was any limit to the number of words you could use if it was a proper name. I was told there is no limit, which seems like a dangerous loophole if someone wanted to abuse that rule.

But you're not allowed to make up proper names, remember. And honestly, if you abuse it, then people will stop wanting to let you use proper names, so don't be a dick (which should be a rule in all games) ((except games where you're supposed to be one)).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I was told there is no limit, which seems like a dangerous loophole if someone wanted to abuse that rule.

We had someone go "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe": 3 (team got 2 then hit a neutral). I actually think these make for great clues - clever, risky, and entertaining. Maybe there's some angle I'm missing on abusive proper names, but we'll deal with that if/when it comes up.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Long rear end words are also allowable, like chemical names. But don't expect "(6aR,9R)-N,N-diethyl-7-methyl-4,6,6a,7,8,9-hexahydroindolo-[4,3-fg]quinoline-9-carboxamide" to be much more help than "LSD"

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

silvergoose posted:

But you're not allowed to make up proper names, remember. And honestly, if you abuse it, then people will stop wanting to let you use proper names, so don't be a dick (which should be a rule in all games) ((except games where you're supposed to be one)).

Well, yeah, "don't be a dick" is always what you want. But there are plenty of board gamers who will do whatever the rules technically allow, so it seems like disallowing proper nouns (unless they are also a common noun, like "Dominion") is the best way to go unless you know everybody at the table well enough.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Help, I'm about to buy Loopin' Chewie

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Foehammer posted:

Disney paid four billion dollars for the Star Wars label and it's your duty as an American citizen who supports Job Creators to help them recoup that investment.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Foehammer posted:

Did you forget your wallet or shipping address or smth?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Foehammer posted:

Do it, Loopin games are fun.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-looping-louie-found-new-life-as-germanys-favorite-drinking-game-1415833949

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Why the heck is codenames $37 on amazon and $20 on ebay?

Foehammer posted:

Nice! Wish I had someone to play Loopin' Chewie with.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CaptainRightful posted:

Well, yeah, "don't be a dick" is always what you want. But there are plenty of board gamers who will do whatever the rules technically allow, so it seems like disallowing proper nouns (unless they are also a common noun, like "Dominion") is the best way to go unless you know everybody at the table well enough.

"At the discretion of the other team's spymaster" is what it says in the rule book, which should work well enough?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

Third-party sellers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chill la Chill posted:

Deathlove posted:

Third-party sellers.

Actually, CSI is one of the people selling it for the gouged price, which is weird considering they're selling it for $17 at their own site. Kinda dirty. And yes I know they're still third party.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

There are many products out there, especially in niche markets, that are significantly cheaper in specialty stores than on Amazon.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

Actually, CSI is one of the people selling it for the gouged price, which is weird considering they're selling it for $17 at their own site. Kinda dirty. And yes I know they're still third party.

Amazon price bots are not always smart.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Andarel posted:

Amazon price bots are not always smart.

Ah ok. This explains the $1700 1990s era paperback books too then.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Chill la Chill posted:

Ah ok. This explains the $1700 1990s era paperback books too then.

http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

Tl;dr: two bots designed to base their price off others catch each other in a spiral and drive their prices into the millions.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I just saw there's a Splendor app on the Google Play Store for seven dollars. How worth it is it at that price?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Trasson posted:

I just saw there's a Splendor app on the Google Play Store for seven dollars. How worth it is it at that price?

Overpriced. Better games are free.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Counter-point, if you enjoy Splendor it's a really solid app. I've been enjoying it a lot while traveling for work lately.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

OmegaGoo posted:

Overpriced. Better games are free.

Play Androminion, paying for apps is for suckers
http://android.mehtank.com/

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005
Anyone fancy recommending me a good sit-down sofa friendly card game (that isn't just cards)? Looking for something two player that isn't board based for the nights where we don't feel like sitting at a table. She's not keen on anything too D'n'D style. Thematic is fine. Preferably Euro and most definitely needs to be available on uk Amazon or equivalent.

Quite like the idea of Love Letter but it's a bit gooey.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lasalas posted:

Anyone fancy recommending me a good sit-down sofa friendly card game (that isn't just cards)? Looking for something two player that isn't board based for the nights where we don't feel like sitting at a table. She's not keen on anything too D'n'D style. Thematic is fine. Preferably Euro and most definitely needs to be available on uk Amazon or equivalent.

Fluxx is pretty fun for two people.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rutibex posted:

Fluxx is pretty fun for two people.

oh my god stop

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Campaign for North Africa is mostly charts and graphs, maybe those could be remade into small cards for couch play.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lasalas posted:

Valley of the Kings is pretty good. It's an Egyptian themed deckbuilder with some cool mechanics.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Coup has a minimal two-player footprint, especially once you know the game and can dispense with the rules-reminder sheets.

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective is good for playing on the couch. It's not a card game, but it's a co-op deductive puzzle without a board. You play it with a paper map of london, a prop newspaper, and a book of suspects/clues/interviewees. Does have some translation problems in the new edition, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Mental Magic.