Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Maybe he works for a private prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Could be tax fraud, where 35K is just his declared income.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The tailer thought you caught him at the lights, lost his nerve and sped away. Ideally he would have ditched the car and come back to check, but the alley surprise is also a valid play. :tipshat:

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 20, 2015

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Flesnolk posted:

Could be tax fraud, where 35K is just his declared income.

While this makes a lot of sense and in a good game would likely be the explanation that most would just assume, Observation_Mutts abundantly lacks the attention to detail and quality for that to be a reasonable explanation, and therefore it is infinitely more likely that its just a case of literally everyone in the game being randomly generated with barely any attention paid to who or where they are. (See: The person in the shantytown earlier in the LP with an salary of +40k.)

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I thought it was funny when the facial recognition picked up a guy in a welding mask but some NPC having the wrong salary is like a whole new level of who cares

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tempo 119 posted:

I thought it was funny when the facial recognition picked up a guy in a welding mask but some NPC having the wrong salary is like a whole new level of who cares

It's a valid complaint when the game specifically hides little jokes/gotchas in the scan details. That means they expect you to pay attention to them.

Annnnd then they don't program them well enough to account for really obviously weird things.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Even high-roller sex clubs have coupon day.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Maybe his brother brought him in as a birthday gift?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Maybe his brother bought him as a birthday gift?

I kept reading it as this and I don't know if it's more or less plausible in the gravel-gritty dark grim dystopia that is Watch_Dogs.

fake e: also apparently chrome's spellchecker doesn't know the word dystopia?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really would like to see a segment where everyone's identity is fuzzed, like Aiden's. That could make for a tense few moments.

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
I was just looking at pictures of animes when I noticed these drawings here. I apologize if they have already been posted but there are so many posts you guys :(.

No Aiden, you are the anime:

Also looking at these I realize that Aiden's outfit doesn't look as ugly when it's not mint ice-cream and overripe banana colored, of course that could just be the anime talking.

Azriel Odin
Jun 3, 2011

Somehow I knew this was gonna happen.
Is this some new kind of fetish I'm not aware of?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

New?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Why did Aiden's pants disappear when he switched genders

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Azriel Odin posted:

Probably a Detective Conan reference. A vigilante gets turned into a kid.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

macfam posted:

Also looking at these I realize that Aiden's outfit doesn't look as ugly when it's not mint ice-cream and overripe banana colored, of course that could just be the anime talking.

It's just you. His outfit is boring no matter which color it is.

The cons of designing an iconic outfit that's also supposed to blend into a crowd.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

macfam posted:

My Japanese isn't perfect so feel free to correct me, but here goes.

Picture 1:

Mr. Koden (Koden = 'baby/kid aiden') looks like oden*, I wanna eat oden.

Picture 2 (from right to left):

Female Aiden, (39)

Guy: Breasts...

Rat guy?: Lesbian

You there! Stop sparkling like that!

*Oden refers to this hodgepodge-like dish. Yes, it's a lame word joke.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 23, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I know westaboos are a thing, but for this game of all games?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

:shrug:

Most 'westaboos', or rather Japanese gamers who tend to prefer Western games, love FPS games and other genres that are barely represented in Japanese videogames.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Justin_Brett posted:

People in the US keep buying Idea Factory games, why not? Obsession with foreign things often overrides taste.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Azriel Odin posted:

Gender swap was invented so that you can fap to your favorite male characters without feeling gay.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ekster posted:

Gender swap was invented so that you can fap to your favorite male characters without feeling gay.

I think they mean the pic where Aiden becomes a child. By extension of that same logic, it's so you can fap to your favorite adult characters without feeling pedo.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Geemer posted:

I think they mean the pic where Aiden becomes a child. By extension of that same logic, it's so you can fap to your favorite adult characters without feeling pedo.

Oh right, I didn't look carefully enough while quoting. :v:

I'm pretty sure they made kid Aiden to make that terrible pun.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I would think a Chip Cheezum thread, of all places, could appreciate someone going out of their way to make a terrible pun.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Found via Cracked: to promote WATCH_DOGS when it was launched in Australia, Ubisoft sent a package to a game journalist containing a copy of the game and some promotional items.

The copy of the game and the items were in a closed safe, and Ubisoft didn't forewarn the journalist to expect a package.

The bomb squad got involved.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Mikl posted:

Found via Cracked: to promote WATCH_DOGS when it was launched in Australia, Ubisoft sent a package to a game journalist containing a copy of the game and some promotional items.

The copy of the game and the items were in a closed safe, and Ubisoft didn't forewarn the journalist to expect a package.

The bomb squad got involved.
I REMEMBER THE NEWS ON THAT!

That was loving amazing, what an incredible balls-up that was :haw: the journalist was even loving terrified and broke down in tears so, this is actually a game that has legitimately bullied and frightened a person in real life EXACTLY like Aiden Pearce would.

Perfect marketing ploy to show the kind of person you play as in the game.

Ekster posted:

:shrug:

Most 'westaboos', or rather Japanese gamers who tend to prefer Western games, love FPS games and other genres that are barely represented in Japanese videogames.
Wow I had no idea that was even a term. I guess it makes sense though, fascination with another culture and all.

I feel so sorry for anyone whose first experience of western culture was THIS game.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 23, 2015

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Leaked ubisoft emails

http://m.imgur.com/a/kDK2O

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

In the second one the writer straight up calls Aiden's niece "his daughter".

Seems a bit too perfect.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

Wow I had no idea that was even a term. I guess it makes sense though, fascination with another culture and all.

I feel so sorry for anyone whose first experience of western culture was THIS game.

I don't have any actual sales figures but there's a couple of western games that are surprisingly popular on niconico douga, the Japanese equivalent of Twitch. Skyrim is probably the most popular western game, GTA is also pretty big. I sometimes like to watch a Japanese LP of a western game, like I did last with Splinter Cell: Blacklist. The general opinion of these games is mostly the same as in the west, which is also true vice-versa. How popular a western game is over there hinges more on whether it has game mechanics that are popular in Japan (i.e. it's not an FPS, ARPG or RTS). There's definitely an audience for those games there, but it's fairly niche.

My favorite Japanese LPs/streams are old western point and click adventure games like the King's Quest series, some of which have a Japanese translation. Often the translator paid no attention to context so most people talk in this weirdly stiff and formal fashion, which is about as funny as the original Resident Evil's dialogue. Modern games all have good translations/dubs, unfortunately. Many point and click adventure game tropes are unknown to a Japanese audience so I like watching the viewers go :psyduck: at all the crazy poo poo that goes on in one.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I like the last part that generalizes most PC players as pirates. Yes Ubisoft, you're PC market is notoriously bad because of pirates, not because of a decade of universally broken PC ports, invasive DRM, poor customer service, and being insulting to the market you're trying to sell games to. Clearly it's the pirates. :jerkbag:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Back Hack posted:

I like the last part that generalizes most PC players as pirates. Yes Ubisoft, you're PC market is notoriously bad because of pirates, not because of a decade of universally broken PC ports, invasive DRM, poor customer service, and being insulting to the market you're trying to sell games to. Clearly it's the pirates. :jerkbag:

I mean, I never buy anything Ubisoft on PC anymore because I don't want to deal with Uplay. That's really it.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Yeah......I gave them TWO chances. Both times when I bought a game and had to use uplay I couldn't play the game for weeks after buying it because SOMETHING hosed up and I had to deal with customer service. *He got one of the heroes of might and magic games and somehow the game decided the only thing he owned was one of the dlc so he could ONLY play the dlc storyline without access to even basic pick a faction and fight AI mode for example* I have YET to have a good experience with Uplay outside of my minimal interactions on consoles. And it fucks up there for me sometimes as well. If Ubisoft wants to get PC sales they need to put any amount of effort into GETTING PC sales instead of spending all their time making GBS threads on it then wondering why the poo poo doesn't transmute into gold.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Ekster posted:

My favorite Japanese LPs/streams are old western point and click adventure games like the King's Quest series, some of which have a Japanese translation. Often the translator paid no attention to context so most people talk in this weirdly stiff and formal fashion, which is about as funny as the original Resident Evil's dialogue. Modern games all have good translations/dubs, unfortunately. Many point and click adventure game tropes are unknown to a Japanese audience so I like watching the viewers go :psyduck: at all the crazy poo poo that goes on in one.
Do you...know any good ones I can watch because I actually legitimately want to see Japanese gamers lose their poo poo but I have no idea where to find any good vids. The only time I ever seen any of that were those two dudes that were playing "the green demon" game on Super Mario 64 where they made up a game to try and outrun a 1-up chasing them constantly.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I have to say, between the small stores, and the apparently unmovable merchandise racks, I am disappointed Chip hasn't had a chance to do donuts while on one of his powered shopping trips.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Chaeden posted:

Yeah......I gave them TWO chances. Both times when I bought a game and had to use uplay I couldn't play the game for weeks after buying it because SOMETHING hosed up and I had to deal with customer service. *He got one of the heroes of might and magic games and somehow the game decided the only thing he owned was one of the dlc so he could ONLY play the dlc storyline without access to even basic pick a faction and fight AI mode for example* I have YET to have a good experience with Uplay outside of my minimal interactions on consoles. And it fucks up there for me sometimes as well. If Ubisoft wants to get PC sales they need to put any amount of effort into GETTING PC sales instead of spending all their time making GBS threads on it then wondering why the poo poo doesn't transmute into gold.

I remember when I bought Brother in Arms: Earned in Blood when it came out on Steam, Ubi Soft had actually botched the PC port so that the game supported only latest video card for Nvidia users, so if you were using an older card of any kind the game would only run at something like 4 FPS. Hundreds of people came to their customer support forum to complain about it (including me), Ubi response was that game works perfectly fine if you bought the game and didn't pirate it; never mind the fact that most of us had the game linked directly with our Ubi Soft account which you can only do if you used a legitimate CD Key. :psyduck:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 23, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

Do you...know any good ones I can watch because I actually legitimately want to see Japanese gamers lose their poo poo but I have no idea where to find any good vids. The only time I ever seen any of that were those two dudes that were playing "the green demon" game on Super Mario 64 where they made up a game to try and outrun a 1-up chasing them constantly.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the badly translated King's Quest, however here's a death compliation of Alone in the Dark. The title is "Alone in the Dark's insane trap compilation". This user has a number of western games he LP'ed, my favorite is The Immortal.

I don't know if you know any Japanese, but all you really need to know is that 'wwwww' = LOL. The w stands for warau, which means to laugh. Here's a link to the search tag 'western games'.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

drat, sounds they new it was probably hosed from the beginning.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Ekster posted:

Unfortunately I couldn't find the badly translated King's Quest, however here's a death compliation of Alone in the Dark. The title is "Alone in the Dark's insane trap compilation". This user has a number of western games he LP'ed, my favorite is The Immortal.

I don't know if you know any Japanese, but all you really need to know is that 'wwwww' = LOL. The w stands for warau, which means to laugh. Here's a link to the search tag 'western games'.
That is MORE than enough thank you very much! :D

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm kind of glad they didn't include more story about Defalt. We haven't seen him in the game yet so I'm not going to say anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I had completely forgotten about that "seamless co-op" thing that they did for the first trailer! I guess that's why every goddamn mission ends in a police chase then? So that sombody could invade and help/hinder the person playing? I'm almost sad that we didn't end up with people complaining on forums how they were almost done with this drat level and then some random rear end in a top hat invaded their game and got them killed.

• Locked thread