Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Slimnoid posted:

Plasma Guns are alright on bikes, since boosting around 12" and firing at 24" make them ideal for hunting light (AV10-11) armor, and for outpacing 2+ save assholes. Plasma Cannons are just overall fun to use with Dev squads, especially if they have some sort of reroll to hit thing going on to make them very reliable (psykers are usually the best for this).

Seems good. I wonder how bikes would work out in a Salamanders army. Probably pretty well since the chapter uses short range weapons already, so the mobility would be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star Man posted:

Seems good. I wonder how bikes would work out in a Salamanders army. Probably pretty well since the chapter uses short range weapons already, so the mobility would be useful.

The Salamanders perk that lets each of your army's characters give master-crafted to one of their weapons is a great way to avoid Gets Hot and make plasma combi-weapons count.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Babe Magnet posted:

I can't imagine any reason GW would drop him. Did anyone really have any problems with Marbo?
Because it's hard to claim that your IP is 100% original always all-the-time-since-the-beginning when your bare-chested, lone-wolf, death-dealing army man is literally an anagram of Rambo. Oh, and whose fictional first name is the nickname of the actor who portrayed Rambo.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I haven't posted my Goonpocalypse II photos yet and I thought I would explain the game we had as well.

The scenario was one I created myself and related to the manifestation of a sentient force in an otherwise deserted part of Armageddon Secondus, around one of the tributaries to the Stygies river. The nature of its mystical power was such that it had attracted Ghazghull back following his defeat in the third war. This in turn drew Yarrick back. Initially the guard regiments stationed on the world rejoiced to see the greatest hero return but soon realisation took hold that there was only one reason he would be back. Drawn by the malign power and the prospect of slaves the Dark Eldar arrived though their webway gates. Realising the significance of both the sentient force and the return of Ghazghull the Blood Angels arrived accompanied by an allied force of Tau who felt they understood the nature of the power.

The game used variable objectives in both VP value and in damaging effects. I had posted these rules a couple of months ago. It quickly became apparent that they had been skim read as best as no-one had any idea about them!

The centre of the board was the bridge. Crouched in the river bed were my dreadnoughts accompanied by the excellent Green Knight who was part of Lord Twisted's force. Note the brave dreadnoughts oping to protect the knight's rear arc. Opposite them is Raphus C and his amazing dreadmob. Obviously we have all seen a lot of pics but they are excellent in person. What we realised is the Mega Dredd in the centre is the right size and armament to count as an Ork Knight. There are lots of little quirks modelled in them and it was a joy noticing them all through the day. In the far corner was the might Ork horde of Zark the Damned who also had Ghazghull. My favourite paint job of the day is his Mork(Gork?)anaut and it was a really imposing model.

Over to our left was the Dark Eldar raiders led by Krushgroove. As you can see much of it deep struck in.

The view down Fury Road from the western edge of the board. This is after the imperium's first turn. Zark's mate was here playing his Tau which much to Lord T and I's horror had not brought a pile of robots with skyfire and interceptor and actually had a large Fire Warrior infantry based force. This was a bit shy of the 2000pts needed so I lent him some of my Blood Angels. In true Tau fashion please note that the Fire Warriors are screened at all times by the expendable Blood Angels! Also note Baal Flamer Pred getting itself immobilised in the first turn and sitting, inert, for the rest of the game. Also the Green Knight leapt onto the bridge and bellowed a challenge to the Dreddmob facing him.

Zark's horde inexorably advances upon the Guardsmen ranks.

The Green Knight takes the fight to his foes having endured all of Raphus C's army firing their rockets in the air in celebration of a big robot to fight. Meanwhile you can see the Blood Angels dreadnoughts bravely hiding behind the bridge bar one plucky DC dread who bravely goes to claim the objective.

A better screen of the BA cordon that the Tau player set up to try and prevent the Dark Eldar penetrating. As such Krushgroove sat his raiders right in front of them and proceeded to make a million jink saves. Unfortunately the light didn't favour them for photography but the airbrushing effects on the raiders are really striking

Burna Boyz emerge from the Morkanaut and the guardsmen blob has a bad time. I think there was 40 to begin with.

Ghazghull's Battlewagon is destroyed and this is the view as he bails out. As such the next turn was the WAAAARRGGGHHH. Also you can see that due to the special objectives teleporting shenanigan's a Battlewagon of Orks has appeared in the Guard back line.

He is difficult to make out but the teleportation is a swap and under the crashed flier is the lone guardsman who was swapped for the Battlewagon of boyz. As such he was the lone survivor of the first turn where his squad had been set up around the objective prior to its damaging effects. Of all the people that suffered from my rules writing it was Lord Twisted that it hit hardest. And he was on my team

Krushgroove's Dark Eldar arrive ... run!

The Meganobz and Ghazhgull crash into the Guardsman blob. It's on, Yarrick vs Ghazghull

The Green Knight is destroyed by the efforts of a pile of Dreads, Kans and the pluckiest Tankbusta Nob of all. Unfortunately for the imperium he dies with a damp fart rather than the apocalyptic blast we were hoping for. The Dreadnoughts on the other side of the bridge realised that they may have to do some fighting after all. Tycho and his handful of death company had been bitch slapped down by the Orks but some Furiosos were wandering about causing havoc.

The fight between Yarrick and Ghazghull went on for ages. He was accompanied by a priest who sang hymns to his Power field and made it work better. In return Yarrick tanked every wound that was allocated to the priest. Wait, technology working because of belief, I thought that was some other race's schtick. Anyway, as we have heard previously Yarrick eventually overcame as Dreadnoughts from both sides started to arrive.

The dreadnoughts hold the bridge. One of their number survived a Battlewagon ramming, avenged the Knight and killed the last Tankbusta and then failed to do anything when charging into the epic Yarrick vs Ghaz melee. Otherwise they beat up some Kans.

Yarrick and his trusty priest/power field technician. I am afraid I didn't get other pics of the later battle. We called it at Turn 4 as it looked to be an insurmountable lead.

There were definitely flaws in the mission, picture cards not having a VP score was one. The one thing that surprised me was that everyone was very keen on the teleportation and as such if we were to do it again this would be key. More objectives and with more consistently high value would be important as Raphus and I had little to fight over. The Orks/Dark Eldar were also screwed with low value cards on their side early on.

The size of the battle was about right I would say. I think on a board that size vehicles are important. I think the Tau had a very rough time in that regard and also the ork walkers although they were so awesome I was happy to come to them!

Other interesting points of the day:
1) Lord Twisted's resolve weakened within the first minutes of arriving and had purchased Vulkan before noon!
2) We should have a whip round to buy Raphus C some new dice. It is bad luck to fail a short charge on double ones, it is clear that your dice hate you if it occurs on two consecutive charges. The first round of rokkit firework display shooting was also evidence of this.
3) Age of Sigmar looked a quietly joyless affair. There were no wacky antics, only Zark's mighty Waaaargh.

I would definitely be up for a return, maybe on one of the other tables (the Egyptian desert one perhaps). The teleportation gimmick for the objectives seemed very popular and there were some other good suggestions that mean that we could hopefully have a refined game. Christmas time? Also SRM commented he is here in April next year. We could always organise Goonpocalypse III The Muppets take Manhattan for then if you like. I really enjoyed gaming with all you guys and would definitely be up for a repeat!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Star Man posted:

So, I have all these plasma guns and plasma cannons lying around and I want to do something with them. Is there ever a reason to use them as space marines in a world with graviton weapons?

Grav will be utterly useless against Orks and Guardsmen, Plasma will continue to hurt everything. Not to mention Grav weapons have slightly shorter ranges than their plasma counterparts.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

JackMack posted:

2) We should have a whip round to buy Raphus C some new dice. It is bad luck to fail a short charge on double ones, it is clear that your dice hate you if it occurs on two consecutive charges. The first round of rokkit firework display shooting was also evidence of this.

My dice did fail me; I don't think I did a single HP worth of damage with shooting. The only unit of mine which did any work was the Warboss who took out the deathguard, and two dreads. I think the only other thing I killed was a drop-pod. Twas my fault for messing around in my backfield going for kills - there was nothing there worth fighting for!

The teleportation was fantastic, suddenly dropping a wagon full of boyz in the opponents rear was fantastic. I think it is a fun way of expanding the board. I think upping the craziness would only make it more fun.

The pile in on the Knight was also fantastic, the fact that the it was taken out by those tankbustas who scrapped into assault and proceeded to deal 5HP worth of damage resulting in an explosion that killed them all (bar one) was the Orkiest thing.

The best (and worst) thing that day was the Yarrick/Ghazghull assault. I would never expect to see Ghaz, the Mad Doc and a bunch of MANz lose to guard infantry.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
All the battle reports that have been pouring out over the last few pages have been an absolute joy to read, both the NOVA and Warhams World ones!

JackMack posted:

I would definitely be up for a return, maybe on one of the other tables (the Egyptian desert one perhaps). The teleportation gimmick for the objectives seemed very popular and there were some other good suggestions that mean that we could hopefully have a refined game. Christmas time? Also SRM commented he is here in April next year. We could always organise Goonpocalypse III The Muppets take Manhattan for then if you like. I really enjoyed gaming with all you guys and would definitely be up for a repeat!

I'll be there in April with Ghost Hand and some other folks. I'm more than happy to engage in Goonpocalypse III: Colonial Revenge

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Deptfordx posted:

I actually do really like stock dread's with a heavy flamer replacing the bolt gun.

That gives you a Multi-Melta, Heavy Flamer and 4 S10 Powerfist attacks. That's a legitimate threat to anything.

Another option is to take a Command Squad, but I feel they are kind of poo poo without bikes.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Uroboros posted:

Another option is to take a Command Squad, but I feel they are kind of poo poo without bikes.

If you use them like special weapon squads and roll em around in a Razorback they're decent. 4 plasma guns with feel no pain is no joke.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SRM posted:

All the battle reports that have been pouring out over the last few pages have been an absolute joy to read, both the NOVA and Warhams World ones!

I'll be there in April with Ghost Hand and some other folks. I'm more than happy to engage in Goonpocalypse III: Colonial Revenge

I think i might head up if your Ultra's are coming over.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

If you use them like special weapon squads and roll em around in a Razorback they're decent. 4 plasma guns with feel no pain is no joke.

Yeah, this is true, and that is another vehicle that drive around the battlefield snagging points, they are just so expensive for what they do. I suppose I could give them a company champion to protect them a little. Unfortunately I don't have mine magnetized for special weapons, a future plan will be to paint some fresh ones where I can magnetize them to a bike or legs if I want them to walk.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

I think i might head up if your Ultra's are coming over.
They're who I'm gonna bring!

Uroboros posted:

Yeah, this is true, and that is another vehicle that drive around the battlefield snagging points, they are just so expensive for what they do. I suppose I could give them a company champion to protect them a little. Unfortunately I don't have mine magnetized for special weapons, a future plan will be to paint some fresh ones where I can magnetize them to a bike or legs if I want them to walk.
Honestly, I wouldn't magnetize them to bikes and on foot since I think it'd look real silly. They'd either be going "look ma no hands!" or standing around with one arm sticking out. I don't think there's really any restriction on taking command squads anymore, couldn't hurt to just have both options around.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

SRM posted:

They're who I'm gonna bring!

Honestly, I wouldn't magnetize them to bikes and on foot since I think it'd look real silly. They'd either be going "look ma no hands!" or standing around with one arm sticking out. I don't think there's really any restriction on taking command squads anymore, couldn't hurt to just have both options around.

The idea was to have the bikes with the steering arm and legs glued to the bike, and then have the torso magnetized. It would take some work but I feel less time overall than painting two separate squads, I don't like my current ones anyway so it'd give me an excuse to sell them.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Okay so I've been going through a bunch of my old warhams and I've got a bunch of space marine stuff I want to get rid of. Apparently the old metal stuff is something people are after. I've got a bunch of metal scout snipers, terminators, tanks (predator, vindicator), devastators and few other things along with the usual assortment of tacticals, assaults, bikes/trike, dreadnought etc. I'll get a bunch of photos when I get home tonight and I'd need to ship from Australia but is any of this stuff something people would be interested in ?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

kingcom posted:

Okay so I've been going through a bunch of my old warhams and I've got a bunch of space marine stuff I want to get rid of. Apparently the old metal stuff is something people are after. I've got a bunch of metal scout snipers, terminators, tanks (predator, vindicator), devastators and few other things along with the usual assortment of tacticals, assaults, bikes/trike, dreadnought etc. I'll get a bunch of photos when I get home tonight and I'd need to ship from Australia but is any of this stuff something people would be interested in ?
I love the old stuff, and there's definitely a market for old hams. Post pictures in the thread or make an SA Mart post about it and link it here. Personally I'm probably not gonna bite because I've got tons of old stuff still to paint (and shipping from Australia bites) but I don't think you'll have a hard time finding a taker provided they're in decent shape.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

kingcom posted:

You got any uh, BfG in there?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

You got any uh, BfG in there?

I wish, I swear I had an imperial cruiser at some point but thats long gone .

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hey, how much do you think I could get for my 40k crap? I haven't played since 5th edition, and now I'm playing Warmachine, which is played at the same time as the local warhammer scene but at a different store. It's a bunch of imperial guard stuff, some conversions. A couple of them are painted, most are primed. Some have damage on them like missing radio antennas, broken bayonets, or missing hatches. How would I even ship this stuff?

2 Chimeras
2 Leman Russes
1 Basilisk
2 scout sentinels
1 armored sentinel

7 missile launcher teams
3 mortar teams
6 autocannon teams

41 cadians with lasguns
1 lasgun cadian with a vox caster
1 cadian with laspistol and a standard
7 cadian sergeants with laspistols and chainswords. Was using some as sergeants, some as command squad staff
1 cadian seargeant with a laspistol, a vox, and holding a helmet. Another has a tank officer head, a chainsword, binoculars, and a tank radio on the base. Was using those as the command staff attachments.
Cadian seargeant with a boltgun and chainsword I was using as an officer or a veteran sergeant
10 cadians with grenade launchers
2 cadians with flamers
2 metal cadians with plasma
2 metal cadians with meltas
5 metal ratlings
A 5-strong metal storm trooper squad with sergeant, 2 hellgunners, a plasma, and a melta
1 metal commissar with bolt pistol
1 metal commissar lord with bolt pistol and power sword
Steel Legion officer with power sword
Plastic officer with a bolt pistol and a sword

Have a couple of weird catachan models I found that I was using as veterans.
8 have various combinations of lasguns, grenades, knives, and scanning instruments
One has a plasma pistol and a lasgun
One has a heavy flamer
One has some kind of hand flamer and a sword
And one has a plasma pistol and a bunch of bionics, including a bionic arm holding a power sword

And then I have this old terminator librarian. I bought it way back, I was using it occasionally as an inquisitor in terminator armor. One of these guys.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

kingcom posted:

I wish, I swear I had an imperial cruiser at some point but thats long gone .

To think I used to have a full chaos and imperial fleet (full box set, the 'real' assault craft), a chaos grand cruiser thingy, and even a Blackstone.

Somewhere around 2007-ish I probably just tossed them. :shepicide:

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

chutche2 posted:

Hey, how much do you think I could get for my 40k crap? I haven't played since 5th edition, and now I'm playing Warmachine, which is played at the same time as the local warhammer scene but at a different store. It's a bunch of imperial guard stuff, some conversions. A couple of them are painted, most are primed. Some have damage on them like missing radio antennas, broken bayonets, or missing hatches. How would I even ship this stuff?

2 Chimeras
2 Leman Russes
1 Basilisk
2 scout sentinels
1 armored sentinel

7 missile launcher teams
3 mortar teams
6 autocannon teams

41 cadians with lasguns
1 lasgun cadian with a vox caster
1 cadian with laspistol and a standard
7 cadian sergeants with laspistols and chainswords. Was using some as sergeants, some as command squad staff
1 cadian seargeant with a laspistol, a vox, and holding a helmet. Another has a tank officer head, a chainsword, binoculars, and a tank radio on the base. Was using those as the command staff attachments.
Cadian seargeant with a boltgun and chainsword I was using as an officer or a veteran sergeant
10 cadians with grenade launchers
2 cadians with flamers
2 metal cadians with plasma
2 metal cadians with meltas
5 metal ratlings
A 5-strong metal storm trooper squad with sergeant, 2 hellgunners, a plasma, and a melta
1 metal commissar with bolt pistol
1 metal commissar lord with bolt pistol and power sword
Steel Legion officer with power sword
Plastic officer with a bolt pistol and a sword

Have a couple of weird catachan models I found that I was using as veterans.
8 have various combinations of lasguns, grenades, knives, and scanning instruments
One has a plasma pistol and a lasgun
One has a heavy flamer
One has some kind of hand flamer and a sword
And one has a plasma pistol and a bunch of bionics, including a bionic arm holding a power sword

And then I have this old terminator librarian. I bought it way back, I was using it occasionally as an inquisitor in terminator armor. One of these guys.

Just finished my IG army (moving on to Heresy chaos)

I buy all my guard mans secondhand so I'll be blunt.

I buy Cadians in squads, usually 1 squad, Sgt., and a special weapon for $10.

Tanks range from $10-$20 depending on what they have. If they have all kinds of good poo poo to swap out as needed then you're looking at the top end.

Nobody uses scout sentinels.

The metal Stormtroopers are a good bet, they run $2-$3 each give or take.

I figure a couple hundred.

The melta Cadians will sell fast and at a good price.

As to the Rambo dudes, toss them in as a bonus to a big order.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If the Rambos are actual 2nd ed metal models I'd probably buy them.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

If the Rambos are actual 2nd ed metal models I'd probably buy them.

After seeing SRM's bases and deciding id like to get all my models to have a more coherent theme bought about 30 bases so I start with rebasing my tacticals and devs. I purchased bases from the Forgotten Empires and Sanctuary lines and think painting to look like White marble would fit the Ultramarines Roman theme. Anyone got any advice on what they think would be the best way to do this in a rather timely manner but still look good?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like flat black bases.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I still have all of my BFG stuff; a bunch of Imperial, a couple of Chaos, and a fair amount of Necron. Oh, and a couple of Space Marine Strike Cruisers. :smug:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
By the way, anyone know where I can get some models for Epic 40k? I have two Steel Legion infantry companies, a tank company, a deathstrike detachment, and a shadowsword from about 8 years ago when I was trying to get an army together. Been looking for places that make 6mm scale stuff, and none of the ones I've seen make things that'd look appropriate for imperial guard.

Edit: The Dark Realms minis stuff looks great. Unfortunately, they don't have a good proxy for the griffon or the sentinels. I'll have to figure out what I'm doing with those.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 23, 2015

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

PantsOptional posted:

He hasn't had an official model in some time, IIRC, and they've been eliminating any characters without official models.

He had a model in 5th edition. I know cuz my brother painted his up to match his mars catachans. He was a newer metal model too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
They were selling the model up until the latest codex release. As well as Al-Rahem, Chenkov, and whoever else is gone now. Bastonne was the only that got removed who didn't have a model IIRC.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

kingcom posted:

If it includes any RT-era stuff I'd probably be interested.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Alright heres photos of models ranging quality models. Let me know if anyone wants something before i throw it all on ebay/sa mart. Shipping from Australia so that might be expensive if you dont want to wait the month or so for sea shipping.

Album 1: http://imgur.com/a/oVpQ2
Album 2: http://imgur.com/a/YZuMj

1 Imperial Guard Hellhound
4 Metal Grey Knights

1 Metal Predator
1 Unpainted Predator
2 1 Metal Vindicators (one with dozer blade)
1 Rhino
1 Land Raider
1 Dreadnaught
1 Metal Dreadnaught (no base)
1 Airspeeder

1 Marneus Calgar
1 Emperor's Champion (i think?)
1 Captain
1 Librarian
1 Chaplain
1 Banner Bearer
2 Techmarines
2 Metal marines (veterans ?)

5 terminators, unpainted/assembled terminator captain, terminator chaplain

9 Bikes, 1 Trike, 1 bike Chaplain

Metal Scouts:
6 snipers
1 Rocket launcher
2 shotguns
10 sword + pistol

Devastators: Sergeant + 3 lascannons + 2 heavy bolters, 1 multimelta, 1 plasma cannon

17 Assault Marines

37 Tactical Marines (including 2 flamers, 3 rocket launchers, 3 power fist sergeants, 1 melta, 1 plasma)

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 24, 2015

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Looks like you got quite a few mans there, I unfortunately hate the retro look.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I hope someone can give your old Ultras a home!

Babe Magnet posted:

I like flat black bases.
You monster

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
sigh, I kinda want to start a 'Nid army. How are spores doing these days, I always liked the concept of explody spores all over the place, warriors and some big stompy things. Doesn't need to be super competitive (I would only play at our local keggers) but would rather not just get wiped turn 1-2 every game?

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr.Booger posted:

sigh, I kinda want to start a 'Nid army. How are spores doing these days, I always liked the concept of explody spores all over the place, warriors and some big stompy things. Doesn't need to be super competitive (I would only play at our local keggers) but would rather not just get wiped turn 1-2 every game?

I think it's generally agreed they are the weakest army and have not gotten a single bit of respect from GW in years and there's no sign that'll turn around. There's been some specific posts on Tyranid woes in the good thread.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Mr.Booger posted:

Against gunlines the Sporefield :siren:FORMATION:siren: is useful for denying advances, hogging overwatch fire and threatening slow units. Mucolid spores are easily convertible from a typical bitz box.

If your regular oppontens aren't very competitive it's possible to do well even with a traditional Tyranid force (no flyers, lots of gaunts) but it can be an uphill struggle. I tend to play very aggressively (given that I have to engage my opponents in CC to damage them) so against slower armies it's easy to pick up VPs from objectives. I wouldn't recommend them for a tournament setting obviously, but you said as much too.

edit:

some choice pictures from earlier in the thread:

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 23, 2015

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

DeadGame posted:

I think it's generally agreed they are the weakest army and have not gotten a single bit of respect from GW in years and there's no sign that'll turn around. There's been some specific posts on Tyranid woes in the good thread.

Nah, bugs are actually pretty solid, although battle company would give it some fits because that many extra transports can be hard to deal with.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Are they fighting to see who gets to use that shade of purple?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I love both those paint schemes

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If you wanna play Tyranids in a game where they aren't terrible, the Plague in Mantic's Warpath are pretty much Genestealer Cults.

Although in their fluff the first generation of hybrids are the most monstrous, successive generations becoming less monstrous, which doesn't make as much sense, but whatevs.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I like nids. They CAN make a solid list, but you're stuck with a few select units.

For example, you're kind of stuck with Hive Tyrants with wings as your HQs. My proffered load-out is with two sets of devourers and electroshock grubs. Then, you're pretty much going to want a squad of 30 termagants and a tervigon. A Tervigon with objective secured is a very solid unit. I've recently started running them with shreddershard beetles and dropping them in from a Tyrannocite.

If you're up for running (or are allowed to) forgeworld units, the Malanthrope is a must take. 85 points for a T5, 4 wound, 3+ save unit that grants shrouding to everything around it, and is Synapse. MUCH harder to kill than venomthropes, and actually allows you to maintain control in your backfield.

The other FW unit I love is the Dimachaeron. It's by far the best close combat unit tyranids have. Though you need a Tyrannocite to get him where he needs to be.

Then you have a bunch of units that are good, but not great. They include:

Crones
Mawlocs
Termagants with devourers in a tyrannocite
Exocrines
Biovores

My current tournament list is
Hive Tyrant - Wings - 2x TL devourers - Electroshocks
Tervigon - Shreddershard Beetles
30 termagants
Mucolid Spore
Mawloc
Mawloc
Malanthrope
Dimachaeron
Tyrannocite
Tyrannocite
Aegis Defense Line with Comms Relay

If I'm allowed to self ally, I run one hive tyrant and the mucolid spore in an allied detachment. That gives Obsec to the Tervigon and Gaunts. If not, I either run it as a Leviathan, or drop a Hive Tyrant and rework the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Nah, bugs are actually pretty solid, although battle company would give it some fits because that many extra transports can be hard to deal with.

Didn't Nids have an army place in the top 16 in NOVA? Pretty good considering there is a large list of forces that didnt get to see that even as allies: Orks, Guard, Dark Eldar, Sisters.

• Locked thread