Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Tesseraction posted:

You post about how foreigners 'can't' assimilate in your culture or 'don't' get jobs, but you don't say why.

Perhaps because I don't know why. Can't remember talking about assimilation of foreigners much here though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Ligur posted:

Perhaps because I don't know why. Can't remember talking about assimilation of foreigners much here though.

You talk about how Iraqis and Somalis can't get employment in Finland and it can't be anything to do with racism because your best friend who is black has a job. One of the primary concerns of assimilationists is that the dirty foreigner won't ever get a job and just soak up welfare payments. That, along with practicing their religion and speaking funny (you've also brought up that they don't speak Finnish, too).

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

kikkelivelho posted:

My question was made under the assumption that the EU will not complete and hilariously botch the entire quota system (this will probably happen).

Also, now that the precedent has been set the EU can in theory distribute any number of refugees.

I mean how hard it is to just create some form of EU refugee residence permit/identification that shows which country they were assigned to? If they love Germany so much that they will then move there and live illegally outside the system, they won't be having any benefits paid to them so what is the issue?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

DarkCrawler posted:

I mean how hard it is to just create some form of EU refugee residence permit/identification that shows which country they were assigned to? If they love Germany so much that they will then move there and live illegally outside the system, they won't be having any benefits paid to them so what is the issue?

Obviously if the system is well designed and implemented it will have measures in place to stop people from picking countries. I just think that the system probably won't be that well designed.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

kikkelivelho posted:

Obviously if the system is well designed and implemented it will have measures in place to stop people from picking countries. I just think that the system probably won't be that well designed.

Oh, me too, as long as countries like Hungary or Slovakia are determined to bitch every step of the way. It's just that some of these measures seem self-evident. We have insanely specific numbers of people crossing borders down to individual borders inside EU so clearly keeping track of them is not the problem.

EDIT: Worry not, the European Commission has sent several angry letters to disobedient countries! http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-5699_en.htm

Is Common European Asylum System now the official term? One letter away from CEASE, come on!

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 23, 2015

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

DarkCrawler posted:

It's even easier if you are in the EU because bang, there is 27 other countries wide open for you. We don't do it as much because we don't really have to in order to massively benefit our lives but people do it all the time with few, if any true difficulties. You'll get housing and support too because you would be a legal immigrant. There are millions and millions of poorer EU citizens moving into wealthier ones. Poles in UK is probably the most common example of that but most are going into Germany. And people are whining just as much about that.

As you mention, this has been a huge issue blown totally out of proportion by UK conservatives, but at this point legislation has been passed that prevents you from getting any government help at all if you haven't been working in the country for a year or so.

There are already big barriers being enacted against legal migrants. I can only imagine the hurdles that these refugees will have to go through.

And about the quota system... Once we get into the fine print it becomes really complicated. Points such as financing, freedom of movement, assimilation programs, etc will have to be handled really delicately. They'll probably gently caress it up.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Here are the EC proposals too, which I at the least have completely missed. I don't find anything objectionable at first glance.
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-5596_en.htm

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Freezer posted:

As you mention, this has been a huge issue blown totally out of proportion by UK conservatives, but at this point legislation has been passed that prevents you from getting any government help at all if you haven't been working in the country for a year or so.

Which, one might add, is ridiculous because 'economic migrants' as they're called are a net positive to the British economy, paying more in taxes than they take back in state health and aid. That's actually pretty bad if you ask me, as it means they're not paying a far amount of tax for what they're getting, but then any attempts to equalise that leads to the 'middle class' (read: idiots) complaining about the £20 a year less they'd have spent on something pointless anyway.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

freelancemoth posted:

Discussing immigration on SA is like talking to a pro-lifer; talk about compromise and you are evil.

What's the compromise?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The foetus can be aborted by the mother killing herself in depression and the baby dying of malnutrition in her corpse.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Ligur posted:

It's odd I haven't been talking about race at all, and religion very little. Some of you guys are talking about either or both of these things every other post.

Then you sort of place these race and religion thoughts into my head.

So, if you are insinuating I have some sort of racial supremacy theories, what, exactly makes you think so? Or are you perhaps just projecting here.

The reason for this is because most of the 'humanist' side of the argument on SA has an unbelievable hard-on for the ideas of Racism, Xenophobia and the new hot-ticket item: Islamaphobia.

If you suggest that maybe half a million refugees might have consequences and might produce at least some undesirable results, then you must be one of those three things! Having an actual rational discourse about how to handle this and talking about some very real issues that can and/or might occur as a result of relocating half a million people to a land and culture they know nothing about can't, and won't happen on this forum. We can't even get to the part where we start speculating on solutions to these problems, both temporary and permanent, because we can't get past the idea that there might be problems to begin with without someone getting called a racist.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The reason for this is because most of the 'humanist' side of the argument on SA has an unbelievable hard-on for the ideas of Racism, Xenophobia and the new hot-ticket item: Islamaphobia.

If you suggest that maybe half a million refugees might have consequences and might produce at least some undesirable results, then you must be one of those three things! Having an actual rational discourse about how to handle this and talking about some very real issues that can and/or might occur as a result of relocating half a million people to a land and culture they know nothing about can't, and won't happen on this forum. We can't even get to the part where we start speculating on solutions to these problems, both temporary and permanent, because we can't get past the idea that there might be problems to begin with without someone getting called a racist.

Counterpoint: Most of the positions being staked out are either ignorant or prejudiced ones, so it's more humane (because I'm one of the accursed humanists) to treat people as if they know something than as if they don't.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
:ssh: We're all secretly accelerationist. We are fully aware of the consequences, what better tool to collapse the European status-quo than the inrushing saracen swarms.

e: diction

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We can't even get to the part where we start speculating on solutions to these problems, both temporary and permanent, because we can't get past the idea that there might be problems to begin with without someone getting called a racist.

The overwhelming problem being the ones who bring up any issues that might arise have a history of blatant racism, and also tend to blow the problem out of proportion.

See: Any of Narcissis posts.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

What's the compromise?

Some children stay in Syria to get murdered or starve.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

The 'consequences and at least some undesirable results' are recognised by the 'humanists' (why you picked that word exactly is a little confusing to me), it's just that we think they're not bad enough to deny refuge to people and condemn them to misery and death.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Having an actual rational discourse about how to handle this and talking about some very real issues that can and/or might occur as a result of relocating half a million people to a land and culture they know nothing about can't, and won't happen on this forum. We can't even get to the part where we start speculating on solutions to these problems, both temporary and permanent, because we can't get past the idea that there might be problems to begin with without someone getting called a racist.

Being fair, we generally can until someone storms in here with bullshit like "BUT CHARLIE HEBDO" or "WE'RE FULL" which are scaremongering at best (you're still more likely to die from unlikelier poo poo like a plane crash, MH17 not withstanding, than terrorism) and a claim constantly reiterated through history (Britain is full. see Britain pre-WW2, Britain post-WW2 rebuilding phase, Britain post-Soviet Union, Britain right now) that is not true.

Now yes, there are logistical issues about how many people can be brought into a country without causing economic shockwaves.

Yes, there are valid issues about cultural shock on both sides.

Yes there are issues with long-term employment.

Yes, there are issues with assimilation in general.

But,

and this is something to notice here,

none of us are ignoring this except to drop the sensible discussion because Bumfuck J. Armchair has to bubble pipe his way through why this is somebody else's problem and we can't quite take it upon ourselves to ignore them since it's a narrative that needs countering to get things productive done.

Now with that in mind, what do you think is the current issue we should focus on (but not solely work on) with the refugee crisis at the current time?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nobody is saying there aren't consequences and the thread has had pages and pages of discussion about the methods and means of accomplishing this, the solutions and propositions debated by the EU, and the difficulties involved, including this page. There's plenty news, facts, links and other factual information posted here that can be addressed. It's just that the 90% of the time other side usually starts the debate from the position "it can't be done" or "it isn't worth doing" or "we don't actually have any responsibility to do anything" or "we have to take all the refugees in the world if we take these!" which are all positions not based in reality and are thus complete non-starters because it is kind of bad to have a discussion where the other side is operating on a fantasy.

Don't engage people who automatically call you racist. I mean I do when I 'm called a jihadist or having white guilt or whatever because its really really funny and really really easy to debate those people, but you don't actually have to address everyone if you don't want to. Certainly not the cheap shots.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 23, 2015

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Starshark posted:

You talk about how Iraqis and Somalis can't get employment in Finland and it can't be anything to do with racism because your best friend who is black has a job. One of the primary concerns of assimilationists is that the dirty foreigner won't ever get a job and just soak up welfare payments. That, along with practicing their religion and speaking funny (you've also brought up that they don't speak Finnish, too).

Well. I do talk about unemployed x and y because they are. I find it hard to believe this is because racism only, since Kenyans and Ethiopians are as well or better employed than locals, for example. More Ethiopians please.

I have not been talking about "dirty foreigners" though.

Yes I brought up not speaking Finnish because that is often a requirement to get a job, despite Kenyans having hacked that. It just is so. My friend from the US couldn't find work other than bartending despite a college degree and good resume, so after four years she moved back to the US with her girlfriend (both got a job in no time). Finland just sucks like that. You can mostly land a job in IT without local language or superior English.

How is saying all of this racist in your opinion?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Ligur posted:

Well. I do talk about unemployed x and y because they are. I find it hard to believe this is because racism only, since Kenyans and Ethiopians are as well or better employed than locals, for example. More Ethiopians please.

I have not been talking about "dirty foreigners" though.

Yes I brought up not speaking Finnish because that is often a requirement to get a job, despite Kenyans having hacked that. It just is so. My friend from the US couldn't find work other than bartending despite a college degree and good resume, so after four years she moved back to the US with her girlfriend (both got a job in no time). Finland just sucks like that. You can mostly land a job in IT without local language or superior English.

How is saying all of this racist in your opinion?

You're suggesting that people immigrating into Finland can't learn Finnish because they're from Iraq/Somalia. Point to the gene that makes that the case. And I've already explained to you that just because you accept group X doesn't mean you can't be racist. Australia was racist against East Asians, remember? Not so much now - we reserve our bile for Arabs and other Muslims.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Starshark posted:

You're suggesting that people immigrating into Finland can't learn Finnish because they're from Iraq/Somalia. Point to the gene that makes that the case.

No I'm not, what the gently caress? I just know for a real life fact, along with everyone with immigrant friends, that getting a job is real hard until you speak fluent Finnish. It's hard to learn.

For some reason, Finnish language or not, both Iraqis and Somalis are not well employed. People from neighbouring countries, not so. They are well employed.

I'm saying iraqis/somails will have superhard time finding a job until they learn Finnish. Probsbly even after that because we already have 400k unemployed. How is that racist to say? It's true, after all. And not about race.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
If it's not about race, why is the Somali/Iraqi unemployment rate higher?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

We can't even get to the part where we start speculating on solutions to these problems, both temporary and permanent, because we can't get past the idea that there might be problems to begin with without someone getting called a racist.

What, 2 pages ago, someone posted a video of like an 8 year old kid making a gesture at a camera to be used as evidence that refugees are all backwards Muslim extremists who will bring chaos and instability with them, and turn Europe into a war zone. And you want to make this dumb rear end argument right now to try and defend idiots making that argument like the truth is in the middle and we're being intolerant? I love the persecution complex all you morons who feel like they're in a war against evil tumblr liberals have. If you want to see more rational discussion in this thread, don't post if all you're going to do is talk about dumb poo poo. Alternatively, you could try following the news and posting content you would like to see discussed!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Starshark posted:

Do you see literally no reason why people coming from a Third world country on a different continent over could have it harder to fit into a local service economy than people who came from a stone's throw away?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Starshark posted:

I can't tell if this is even a serious post. He literally answered this question in the same post.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Starshark posted:

You're suggesting that people immigrating into Finland can't learn Finnish because they're from Iraq/Somalia. Point to the gene that makes that the case. And I've already explained to you that just because you accept group X doesn't mean you can't be racist. Australia was racist against East Asians, remember? Not so much now - we reserve our bile for Arabs and other Muslims.

It really feels like you're arguing in bad faith here. I don't believe he ever said that people from Iraq or Somalia can't learn Finnish. He has said pretty consistently that it is more difficult to find a job in Finland if you don't already speak Finnish, or at the very least, English, and that this is a large barrier for anyone coming into Finland, regardless of your status (unless you are Kenyan or Ethiopian, apparently). This seems to mean that people coming to Finland for whatever reason have a greater chance of remaining unemployed (and, apparently, in a remote town due to housing concerns) for extended periods of time while first picking up the language. Not being from the region at all, I can't even begin to say what level of competence in Finnish is typically required in Finland for employment. At no time though have I seen Ligur say that and Iraqi can't learn Finnish.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Volkerball posted:

What, 2 pages ago, someone posted a video of like an 8 year old kid making a gesture at a camera to be used as evidence that refugees are all backwards Muslim extremists who will bring chaos and instability with them, and turn Europe into a war zone. And you want to make this dumb rear end argument right now to try and defend idiots making that argument like the truth is in the middle and we're being intolerant? I love the persecution complex all you morons who feel like they're in a war against evil tumblr liberals have. If you want to see more rational discussion in this thread, don't post if all you're going to do is talk about dumb poo poo. Alternatively, you could try following the news and posting content you would like to see discussed!

Ok, but that was Narciss that posted that. Everyone either got indignant (rightly so), dismissed it due to who posted it (rightly so), or didn't see it because they have Narciss blocked. That case isn't really what Canine Blues Arooo was talking about, I suspect. Rather, I suspect it's more about things, to pick an example, like Ligur mentioning that Finland has high unemployment already and that this will make it significantly more difficult for migrants or refugees to settle into a prosperous life in Finland being met with dismissals that he's a racist that hates brown people and why does he hate brown people.

It is so much easier to dismiss his claim by claiming that he's a shitheel than it is to engage the argument he's putting forward, and i've seen it happen a bunch with a lot of different poster in this thread.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

PaleIrishGuy posted:

It really feels like you're arguing in bad faith here. I don't believe he ever said that people from Iraq or Somalia can't learn Finnish. He has said pretty consistently that it is more difficult to find a job in Finland if you don't already speak Finnish, or at the very least, English, and that this is a large barrier for anyone coming into Finland, regardless of your status (unless you are Kenyan or Ethiopian, apparently).

See the issue?

steinrokkan posted:

Do you see literally no reason why people coming from a Third world country on a different continent over could have it harder to fit into a local service economy than people who came from a stone's throw away?

Are Ethiopians "a stone's throw away" from Finland?

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Starshark posted:

Well, one guess would be that when you come from a 3rd world country that has some sense of marginal stability (Kenya/Ethiopia) you're more likely to have had the time to acquire skills and habits that are beneficial to getting a job. When you come from a war-torn hellscape (Somalia/Iraq) you may be less likely to have said skills and traits. Thus, cultural/nation conditions =/= racial conditions.

Edit: he meant "stone's throw away" from Iraq/Somalia, so taking geography out of the picture.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Griffen posted:

Well, one guess would be that when you come from a 3rd world country that has some sense of marginal stability (Kenya/Ethiopia) you're more likely to have had the time to acquire skills and habits that are beneficial to getting a job. When you come from a war-torn hellscape (Somalia/Iraq) you may be less likely to have said skills and traits. Thus, cultural/nation conditions =/= racial conditions.

Edit: he meant "stone's throw away" from Iraq/Somalia, so taking geography out of the picture.

LOL, how long do you think Iraq was a "war torn hellscape" for? People in Iraq have an education just like anywhere else. I'm less familiar with Somalia, but considering they've been in Finland since the 90's, I'm sure they could get an education within that time.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Starshark posted:

LOL, how long do you think Iraq was a "war torn hellscape" for? People in Iraq have an education just like anywhere else. I'm less familiar with Somalia, but considering they've been in Finland since the 90's, I'm sure they could get an education within that time.

Let's see, Persian Gulf War II (not even counting the first one), started in 2003. So let's say 12 years of social instability and bloodshed. So someone who is 25 now only had up until 13 years old to have a good, stable education. How many middle schoolers out there are ready to get a job? What skills do they have? Somalia? Been a clusterfuck since the early 90's. So aside from old sages, they have nearly no chance for a stable education. As for your comment about having education just like anywhere else, most of the people coming are young men, so they are the ones most likely to have had their opportunities cut short by insurgency, bombs, and death. For those in Finland since the 90's, they could have been people from the First Gulf War, and I'm not expert on PTSD, but I've heard that it has long-lasting impact on your ability to hold a job. Something about Vietnam/Iraq vets having a really hard time getting back on their feet even with all the structures in place for them.... hmm.... how could anyone who has been through terrible war and death not be just fine 5 minutes later... I dunno...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PaleIrishGuy posted:

Ok, but that was Narciss that posted that. Everyone either got indignant (rightly so), dismissed it due to who posted it (rightly so), or didn't see it because they have Narciss blocked. That case isn't really what Canine Blues Arooo was talking about, I suspect. Rather, I suspect it's more about things, to pick an example, like Ligur mentioning that Finland has high unemployment already and that this will make it significantly more difficult for migrants or refugees to settle into a prosperous life in Finland being met with dismissals that he's a racist that hates brown people and why does he hate brown people.

It is so much easier to dismiss his claim by claiming that he's a shitheel than it is to engage the argument he's putting forward, and i've seen it happen a bunch with a lot of different poster in this thread.

Fair enough, but I think the majority of the "this is an issue we need to discuss" things that come up are rooted in bigotry and stereotypes. We can have productive discussion about things that aren't, and language is certainly one of them. But the fact is that the flow of ISIS sympathizers is flowing towards Syria from Europe, not vice versa. ISIS propaganda as of late has been telling refugees to come to ISIS held land rather than the land of the unbelievers because they are the enemy. Every single refugee seeking asylum in Europe has responded to that effort with "no thanks." They're largely educated people, often with money, who just want a chance at a future that isn't shrouded in instability and war. Discussion in this thread has revolved around that point for the most part, and there's nothing redeemable to be said about the people who are pushing sectarian and intolerant half truths and misconceptions. That's why there's a lot of accusations of racism and bigotry. Not because the liberals aren't willing to address the real issues like how many refugees are secret hardcore al qaeda jihadists who want to bring sharia law to the west. I'm more than happy to discuss real issues surrounding this crisis, and I know I'm not the only one, but if you want to increase the quality of discussion in the thread, that's where you start.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Griffen posted:

Let's see, Persian Gulf War II (not even counting the first one), started in 2003. So let's say 12 years of social instability and bloodshed. So someone who is 25 now only had up until 13 years old to have a good, stable education. How many middle schoolers out there are ready to get a job? What skills do they have? Somalia? Been a clusterfuck since the early 90's. So aside from old sages, they have nearly no chance for a stable education. As for your comment about having education just like anywhere else, most of the people coming are young men, so they are the ones most likely to have had their opportunities cut short by insurgency, bombs, and death. For those in Finland since the 90's, they could have been people from the First Gulf War, and I'm not expert on PTSD, but I've heard that it has long-lasting impact on your ability to hold a job. Something about Vietnam/Iraq vets having a really hard time getting back on their feet even with all the structures in place for them.... hmm.... how could anyone who has been through terrible war and death not be just fine 5 minutes later... I dunno...

We're talking decades and not every Somalian has PTSD. You're going to have to face the facts sooner or later and understand that the reason Somalians are over represented in Finnish unemployment figures is because of race. And the second Gulf War didn't level the entire country, people were able to get on with their lives, get educated, etc, it was just punctuated by bombing. Life didn't stop because of the war, especially not in places such as Baghdad. The Iraqi refugees I met were university educated, spoke English well, and were capable of holding down jobs. They still had trouble integrating because Australia LOL and every time they try to build a mosque there's mass protests, but there certainly wasn't any "I can't hold a job because I have PTSD" like you seem to think there is.

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

Starshark posted:

I'm gonna repost Ligur's largest post on employment figures.

Ligur posted:

I'm afraid comparing the economic impact of refugees in USA and Europe, esp. the Northern welfare states, is like comparing apples and oranges.

Also you maybe didn't notice, but I said "housing people who can't find a job" is the (economic) problem. Not entrepreneurs. Unfortunately, asylum seekers who received a residence permit and their later "re-unified" family members from non-OECD countries have woeful employment rates in the EU :(

For example Somalians in Finland in 2008 only had a 27% employment rate (that's no the same as unemployment at least in a Finnish translation, btw). Earlier, in 2003, their the dependency ratio was 9,7 while the national average was 2,2, meaning out of every working age and employed Somalian, there were 9,7 who were either unemployed our outside of the workforce (because of age, disability, whatever). Very few were and are entrepreneurs, which both sucks and is disappointing, because I've heard dozens of times Somalians are pretty creative and solid businessmen in Minnesota and Minneapolis, running literally hundreds (or is it over a thousand at this point?) businesses. I think one of the reasons is that we really suck at integrating people, at least partially because of the welfare state thing we have going on. It's good, but not always and not for everyone but that's another discussion. Same in the Gulf States, AFAIK Somalis are often hardcore businessmen.

Anyway, for example, here is an economic profile of Britain's Immigrants. It's a bit outdated (so were some of your links) but there is no reason to believe things have changed much, except that UK has received a ton of new workers from East-Europe. Not aware of what that has exactly done to immigration employment percentages.

You will notice certain groups (look under 5. Socio-economic profile) perform particularly poorly, some are among some of the most common asylum seeking nationalities. During the past decade the Finnish numbers were very similar with the same nationalities we have in any numbers. In 2013 over 30% of all of our immigrants were unemployed, when the national average is closer to 10%.

In 2010 Sudanese, Somalians, Iraqis and Afghans had over 50% unemployment in in Finland. On the other hand, out the few Nepalese we have almost none are on the dole and Kenyans beat the crap out of (positive) employment numbers compared to Finns.

And at least things are looking a little better even while Finland is in a terrible economic slump, as in 2013 "only" 38% African and 32% of Asian immigrants were unemployed. Still beats the 2000 numbers.

Sweden is actually the worst OECD country in integrating immigrants if you use employment as a metric. IIRC in 2014 they had the highest immigration unemployment rate in the EU area (sorry can't find the link now). Jan Tullberg from Stockhom University published a book in 2014 where he estimated immigration costs 250 billion Swedish kroner annually, which is even more than previous estimates by guys like Bo Södersten and Jan Ekberg. In Norway, they calculated in 2013 that every non-Western immigrant will cost Norway around 4,1mil NOK. In Denmark, they found out non-Western immigration societal costs exploded from previously high numbers by an additional 35% in just four years.

Bottom line is people who from OECD countries tend to do well in Europe, as do people who move here to work (do'h) where ever they come from, but those who are granted residence permit on asylum or other "secondary protection" (a term at least in Finland) basis are not doing well. Hence my conclusion that the current circus is going to become very expensive, especially for Nordic welfare states with the high benefits, especially on housing, received by those given a residence permit.

This is almost the exact opposite of US, where immigrants, illegals or refugees or whatever, have at least a reputation in Europe for finding work somehow, and then busting their asses at it.

There has been much waxing lyrical about why this is or isn't. Some point a blaming finger at the welfare state for making people passive because a family of four or five might already live more affluently than in their country of origin just on benefits. But I doubt it's just that. Others say we're just bad at integrating. Yeah but why do some groups integrate so well anyway? Others blame racism, but that doesn't ring true either, because people from, say Ghana and Nigeria tend to do well employment wise (or at least did some years ago) in North and West European countries. In Britannia Muslims have bad employment numbers, but on the other hand, Sikhs from the same country do well, so just discriminating "others" can't be it. Some say too many immigrants to EU are Muslims, and "Muslims don't integrate to Western cultures". But even that doesn't quite strike me as The Ultimate Explanation, because from what I know, immigrant Muslims tend to do very well in USA (and for a fact I know, so do many European ones).

As a final point, there is less and less low skilled labour jobs available in the EU area, and many EU countries already have 20%+ youth unemployment. If you continue slamming in a lot of immigrants from around the EU year in year out, who are also looking for a job, it doesn't bode well for them either and some probably take it as such.

Do you care to engage any of the numbers in that or anything? Or is it all just still going to be "Look at this racist"?

freelancemoth
Apr 28, 2014

Nonsense posted:

What's the compromise?

Taking into account the needs of Europeans and the migrants.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Starshark posted:

We're talking decades and not every Somalian has PTSD. You're going to have to face the facts sooner or later and understand that the reason Somalians are over represented in Finnish unemployment figures is because of race. And the second Gulf War didn't level the entire country, people were able to get on with their lives, get educated, etc, it was just punctuated by bombing. Life didn't stop because of the war, especially not in places such as Baghdad. The Iraqi refugees I met were university educated, spoke English well, and were capable of holding down jobs. They still had trouble integrating because Australia LOL and every time they try to build a mosque there's mass protests, but there certainly wasn't any "I can't hold a job because I have PTSD" like you seem to think there is.

You are missing my point. You asked for a possible reason for Ligur's empirical evidence. I gave you one. You claim it must be about race, because if Somalians can't get a job, it must be because the white man hates the black man. Except for black Kenyans and Ethiopians, and I'm sure Finns excel at being able to tell the difference between an Ethiopian and a Somali, just by looking at them (sarcasm). Ligur has presented empirical evidence that contradicts the mantra that all migrants can be seamlessly integrated into a host nation and be productive. Either you disprove his evidence (e.g. statistics showing Somali unemployment is the same as Ethiopian) or you move on with your life. Calling it racism when all evidence points to the contrary (because most people can't tell the distinctions between neighboring nationalities of the same ethnicity) is simply being a troll. To use a US example, white guys from Mississippi would have a harder time getting a job than white guys from California or New York. Sure, they both had an "education," but put them together, and the differences in their upbringings and the myriads of factors involved will make a difference. Now imagine Mississippi is a failed state torn by war and conflict. See the point? Stop playing the race card when confronted by a question you don't have an answer to.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm no expert, but I assume that most gainfully employed immigrants secured a job before they even left their home country. There are businesses based around hiring migrant workers, and they're going to prefer people they know and can throw out of the country unlike people with asylum. So Yohannes the Ethiopian Hire is going to get that janitorial position, and those poor huddled masses can just go gently caress themselves as far as businesses are concerned. Again, I'm no expert.

When people in this thread advocate employing all these refugees, in practice they want to expand our underclass of migrant workers.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 23, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If anyone born in Finland experienced the same kind of trauma as your average refugee they would be in intensive counseling for years and wouldn't be expected to hold a job for years or would at the very least get a very long break from it. Like if someone bombed my house or shot my family I'd be still giving touching interviews to tabloids five years later. So expecting them to just "get an education" or "get a job" is a bit rich considering that, as is blaming the country they're in for that. We're also talking about cultures and countries where women rarely hold jobs to the same degree as men so that's an instant 50% cut on employment.

Finland has had problems integrating refugees, sure. Still has in most parts of the country. They were the first generation of really different immigrants in Finland and we had zero experience with any sort of visible minorities, so racism certainly played a part. In general it is can be hard for people in general to integrate to Finnish society because its very homogeneous and inclusive (I'm born here, my mother is Finnish but I'm black and grew up in the boonies and there were lot of people who just couldn't accept that I am Finnish).

Also not everyone is willing to integrate, this is fact as well. Lot of these people are conservative Muslims and integration, acceptance and multiculturalism just aren't in their vocabulary any more then it is for our homegrown conservative Christians.

Starshark posted:

Griffen posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran%E2%80%93Iraq_War

35 years of social instability and bloodshed is more like it. First Gulf War was a blip for Iraqis as far as suffering is concerned, it was preceded and followed by far worse conflicts.

Starshark posted:

We're talking decades and not every Somalian has PTSD. You're going to have to face the facts sooner or later and understand that the reason Somalians are over represented in Finnish unemployment figures is because of race.

No, it really isn't or I wouldn't have a job. It is because refugees who don't speak the language or in many cases can't read and write (only one in three Somalian adults can) are generally really bad employment material for anything but manual labor because of the lack of education. Their children or the ones who came here as a child are much better employed as well.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 23, 2015

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Based on a quick look at some population stats I'd guess most of the Ethiopian/Kenyan people in Finland are migrants rather than refugees. I think that is going to skew the employment values somewhat.

Correct me if I'm wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Griffen posted:

You are missing my point. You asked for a possible reason for Ligur's empirical evidence. I gave you one.

Yes, and it's a poo poo one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread