Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Anora posted:

Aww, I actually liked the Story book stuff in SMG1.

Though it does feel like any time Nintendo does something huge with a story, fans hate it. Like Other M and the SMB movie.

Of course fans hate it - those things are poo poo. Don't act like people dislike Other M because it had story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Whenever Nintendo does something dumb Nintendo fans get all angry :shrug:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Super Mario World way harder than I remember or is there some terrible lag on the Wii U Gamepad with VC games

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Speaking of buying games, Amazon Prime Members can get Yoshi's Woolly World for $43 (down from $50) when you pre-order.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoshis-Woolly-World-Wii-U/dp/B00KWF366S

Keep in mind that the Yarn Yoshi bundle is still $60, and that the Yarn Yoshi Amiibos retail for $17, so you're really not saving anything if you want a Yarn Yoshi Amiibo

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
God you can't jump in Kid Icarus: Uprising Nintendo are such idiots I hate them!!!!
-some shithead on neogaf probably

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Re: story vs no story in Mario, I have no opinion.

But after the previous game, I chuckled at the intro for Galaxy 2. It's essentially "Bowser is really big, get a move on! Do some Mario stuff!"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Anora posted:

Aww, I actually liked the Story book stuff in SMG1.

Though it does feel like any time Nintendo does something huge with a story, fans hate it. Like Other M and the SMB movie.

Kid Icarus Uprising had a story and nobody complained. People hate those other things because they are terrible.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't get how people could dislike an optional storybook so much.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Also wasn't the story in SMG super light? Like nothing even worth complaining about

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sometimes you run into people who are super-hostile to the concept of stories in games when talking about Mario.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait think something is getting mixed up here, no one said they hated the story stuff in SMG. Except for Miyamoto, but that was only because it was put in without anyone telling him.

At least that was what I got from the previous post.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah. Maybe take a cue from the Nintendo Power SMW comic and just make it so that she kicks off the game by going after Bowser when he pulls his airship bullshit again.

There's an episode of the Super Show where Peach and Toad go on vacation and leave Mario and Luigi in charge. They gently caress it up and Bowser takes over the mushroom kingdom.

Peach doesn't just take the kingdom back, she surfs (like with a surfboard) back into the castle wearing a bathing suit, sunglasses and the most impressive loving high tops the eighties had to offer, and shoots Bowser with a crossbow.

You couldn't make a more badass scene if you tried.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Funky Valentine posted:

Sometimes you run into people who are super-hostile to the concept of stories in games when talking about Mario.

They feel the moment that Nintendo does story in games and has voiced character they become like the other companies that are all evil and bad because having voiced characters and a story somehow makes the game not a game anymore.

And it's like how do they not know of Xenoblade or Fire Emblem

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bean posted:

There's an episode of the Super Show where Peach and Toad go on vacation and leave Mario and Luigi in charge. They gently caress it up and Bowser takes over the mushroom kingdom.

Peach doesn't just take the kingdom back, she surfs (like with a surfboard) back into the castle wearing a bathing suit, sunglasses and the most impressive loving high tops the eighties had to offer, and shoots Bowser with a crossbow.

The real reason Bowser kidnaps Peach is probably because he knows she'll gently caress him up bad if he doesn't before taking over the kingdom. Mario's probably just a minor annoyance in comparison.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really have to say the Skylanders Racing games just shows how stupid it is that Nintendo characters can't talk full sentences and just use chuckles, grunts, and saying their name as a means of conversation when everyone else around them can talk full on words.

And it's not like Mario/Luigi/Wario/Waluigi VA can't do it, he voiced the main dragon in Skyrim so he's got some range.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bean posted:

Video

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked it in that old Mario comic where Peach was a hot-blooded ruler who has her own toad army, takes the fight to Bowser, rescues herself, and rescues Mario at one point. That was pretty cool.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Who gives a poo poo about proper layering.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

What the poo poo? I thought he was joking.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

This just makes me want a Mushroom Kingdom Warriors game more. Run around as Peach with a crossbow and a frying pan, wailing on Goombas.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Excels posted:

It wasn't that he thought it had too much story, he was angry at any story elements that Koizumi snuck past him hoping the higher-ups wouldn't notice.

http://www.wired.com/2007/12/interview-super/

Miyamoto was so butthurt over Rosie's storybook giving her a backstory, that he pre-emptively "put a stop to that" when Galaxy 2 began development

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2009/06/miyamoto_borking_super_mario_galaxy_2s_story

Sounds like Miyamoto is keeping that loon in check. They do good work together.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

All Frogs posted:

This just makes me want a Mushroom Kingdom Warriors game more. Run around as Peach with a crossbow and a frying pan, wailing on Goombas.

They need to bring back that Bowser VA. Also, start calling him King Koopa again.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Thanks for the video! It had been a while since I saw it, I forgot about that amazing legally distinct Thriller cover.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spacebump posted:

They need to bring back that Bowser VA. Also, start calling him King Koopa again.

I agree

Also get rid of Peach just like they did with Daisy and just have the main princess be Rosilina

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bean posted:

Thanks for the video! It had been a while since I saw it, I forgot about that amazing legally distinct Thriller cover.

Was it Thriller? I was going to say Beat It.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

I agree

Also get rid of Peach just like they did with Daisy and just have the main princess be Rosilina

yeah sure

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

yeah sure

She's the best bet they have, after all you have Zelda and Fire Emblem princesses to compete with.

and the bar is set rather high....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Enjoy it while you can, soon everyone in the forum will have seen that gif and you will extract no more blood from it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I went to a museum of Le Petit Prince in Japan, so it might have influenced Rosalina's story.

Also, having cutscenes in Galaxy meant they could use the full orchestra more.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

Enjoy it while you can, soon everyone in the forum will have seen that gif and you will extract no more blood from it.

Every female character in the game has one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Here's the thousand dollar question though... Will that feature survive localisation?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

greatn posted:

Here's the thousand dollar question though... Will that feature survive localisation?

Do you really think Nintendo is going to Censor tits in this day and age? The Feature is literally a huge chunk of the game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

let's not forget tharja gate

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Help Im Alive posted:

let's not forget tharja gate

she doesn't even have that fine of an rear end.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If anything, the censorship makes it more risqué

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

They also removed Tharja's trophy from Smash 4. Which was weird because they were perfectly fine with Zero Suit Samus's entire existence

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

greatn posted:

Gien that it's apparently got a Mature rating over here, chances are that that feature survived.

Which is good because the dialogue is hilarious and people raging over it are hilarious.

Augus posted:

They also removed Tharja's trophy from Smash 4. Which was weird because they were perfectly fine with Zero Suit Samus's entire existence

Tharja was apparently a bit too risky for a E10+ game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tharja is bae

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Can you touch the men as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

greatn posted:

Can you touch the men as well?

Yes.

• Locked thread