Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

SaltyJesus posted:

Heh, nice username Pajser.

Slovenia doesn't have the greatest track record with integrating other ethnicities what with the izbrisani. :v:

e: gently caress, thought this was the refugees thread

Yes I know, that's why most of the bosnians and kosovars didn't stay long. Other than those that we're already living here. "Izbrisani" was and still is, a clear case of petty political pissing and revenge for everyone, that voted no on independence. The fact that it still hasn't been sufficiently resolved shows that we are and always will be just another balkan shithole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

This is what happens when Russia and Syria come together.

Russia's got its hands in Egypt?

Not being combative here I'm genuinely unaware of any link.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
They're building Egypt a nuclear power plant.

Also this happened when he visited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yGJYryj-QY

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

Russia's got its hands in Egypt?

Not being combative here I'm genuinely unaware of any link.

Russia has been conducting a bunch of arms sales with the Egyptians and also signed a trade treaty I think alongside helping build them a reactor. This is alongside obviously Syria and Iran and a proposed gas pipeline with Turkey. If anything the Middle East has become Russia's "silent" playground.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ahhh, I see.

This is revenge for the Soviet-Afghan War I'm telling you. I bet Putin goes into his inner chamber and puts on his old KGB uniform before making geopolitical decisions.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Pajser posted:

Slovenes love to talk big. You have nothing to worry about. Most of these idiots are content to write lovely comments on any news site of forum that will let them and pissing off mods.
I mean seriously, the country went through a "migrant crisis" twice before and nothing changed.

Plus, it's not like Slovenia didn't generate some migrant waves of it's own during the last 70 years.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

In other Egypt news: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/23/europe/france-egypt-warship-sale/

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Tesseraction posted:

This thread has too few Scandinavian people complaining about immigrants to be the refugee thread.

IMO the Balkans in particular have experienced a previous refugee crisis in living memory so you seem pretty sensible about the current one, even if some members of your country are parroting the bollocks of my own one.

Most (but not all) of the people complaining about immigrants in Scandinavia on this forum are not Scandinavian (not even in the Scanpol thread, weirdly).

e: (Finns are not Scandinavian etc)

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 23, 2015

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

The_Franz posted:

Plus, it's not like Slovenia didn't generate some migrant waves of it's own during the last 70 years.

The last two years have seen a revival of the 70s "Gasterbajter" and 19th century "Izseljenec".

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Sooooo what's the likelihood Egypt will turn around and sell them to Russia?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Sooooo what's the likelihood Egypt will turn around and sell them to Russia?

Two seems excessive but at the same time it looks like Egypt is conducting something of a naval modernization. They've purchased a new frigate from France and several new fast attack boats from the US. This is different from the more general model of pick up retiring/refurbished ships from larger navies.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Does a helicopter/amphibious landing craft have any use for Egypt's navy? That's a bit more heavy duty and specialized than protecting coastal waters.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They've also ordered four Gowind-class corvettes, with two more in option, and were interested in increasing that number further.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SaltyJesus posted:

Slovenia doesn't have the greatest track record with integrating other ethnicities what with the izbrisani. :v:

Fun fact: My mother was born in Slovenia, since her father was stationed there at the time. She used to be actually fluent in Slovenian since she learned it from playing with other kids and stuff like that. The family moved out while she was still a child, though, and she hasn't spoken a word of it since. Once Yugoslavia got broken up, getting her birth certificate was a bit of an issue.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Does a helicopter/amphibious landing craft have any use for Egypt's navy? That's a bit more heavy duty and specialized than protecting coastal waters.

Probably increased presence in the Arabian sea in Anti-piracy, maybe some international anti-refugee boat work in the med. Potentially support for a variety of anti terrorist activities among Arab petro states.

Most importantly a keystone for military modernization and international support for the post-Mubarak military government.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

my dad posted:

Fun fact: My mother was born in Slovenia

are you tito

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Vice News got video of the masked men who stormed Kharkiv City Hall today. I can't tell whether they're chanting in Russian or Ukrainian, but I have a hunch...
https://news.vice.com/video/quick-hit-masked-men-storm-kharkiv-city-hall-in-ukraine?utm_source=vicenewstwitter

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
It's definitely Russian. Besides, the city is in the easternmost part of the Ukraine, where Russian predominates anyway.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
For those who speak Serbo-Croatian, there was an interesting discussion between the Serbian minister of trade Rasim Ljajić of and the Croatian minister of internal affairs Rajko Ostojić on N1 TV. (the video is linked in the article)

http://rs.n1info.com/a94728/Vesti/Ostojic-i-Ljajic-o-izbeglicama.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

People have commented about this video clip of Putin with Netanyahu to discuss Israel's concerns about Russia fighting in Syria. Either Putin is wearing new shoes and they're pinching his feet, or he's really uncomfortable talking to Benny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVyc6Wep7BI

And Russia putting an air base in Belarus seems to be alerting the west that Russia's "clipping" Belarus's wings. I thought Russia and Belarus had been talking about the Russians setting up a base in Belarus for years.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/09/23/putin-clips-lukashenkos-wings-with-air-base-in-belarus/

quote:

Aleksandr Lukashenko, Belarus’s autocratic president, has earned a reputation over his 20 years in power for playing Moscow and Brussels off each other for financial assistance and political cover. But with Russia finally set to build an air base there, Lukashenko’s days of weaving between Russia and the West, and extracting benefits from both, may be over.

The decision to build the base, which will be close to the border with NATO member Lithuania, was announced over the weekend and comes as Russian President Vladimir Putin tries to restore his country’s lost great power status and rebuild its military capabilities abroad. For Belarus, the plans to establish the base come in a particularly tense period of relations between Minsk and Moscow, fueled by Russia’s annexation of Crimea and the subsequent war in Ukraine.

Wary of its eastern neighbor, the Belarusian leader embarked in late 2014 on an unprecedented tilt away from Moscow, threatening to leave the Russian-led Eurasian Union and adopting a new military doctrine that warned of “little green men,” like those who appeared in Crimea before it became part of Russia. Belarus has also tried to rebuild relations with the EU, which, as Reuters reported on Sept. 17, will result in the easing of economic sanctions against Minsk.

But with the new military base, Putin has signalled his desire to keep the unpredictable Lukashenko within the Kremlin’s orbit and avoid a rapprochement between Belarus and the West in the process.

“With the plans for the base going ahead, Lukashenko’s ability to maneuver against Russia is drastically reduced,” Daragh McDowell, an analyst at Verisk Maplecroft, a risk management firm in the United Kingdom, told Foreign Policy. “They can no longer zig and zag between Europe and Russia like they used to.”

Military links between Minsk and Moscow are hardly new. Belarus is a member of the Collective Security Treaty Organization, a military bloc of former Soviet countries, and the Russian military already has a radar station located in the country. But the military base marks a step change for the Russian presence in Belarus, a geopolitically consequential move as tensions continue to rise along NATO’s eastern frontier. Minsk had avoided signing off on the military base since it was first proposed in 2013, in what ultimately was a futile bid to avoid angering the West while keeping maneuvering room with Moscow. After the Ukraine crisis, though, Russia pushed its base plans with renewed zeal.

Since becoming president in 1994 in the wake of the collapse of the Soviet Union, Lukashenko has tried to juggle his country’s de jure independence with the awkward fact that Belarus is economically dependent on Moscow. Russian subsidies form the backbone of the beleaguered Belarusian economy and more than 40 percent of the country’s exports go to Russia. But with the Russian economy also in dire straits, Russian subsidies were reduced and Minsk’s bottom line took a major hit in the last year. With economic collapse looming, the government adopted drastic measures at home, such as prohibiting workers in certain industries from quitting their jobs without approval and imposing fines on the unemployed. Meanwhile, in an attempt to attract foreign investment, Minsk and Brussels negotiated the release of political prisoners imprisoned after the country’s 2010 presidential elections.[/video]

Now, though, Lukashenko’s latest gambit may have played itself out.

“Lukashenko doesn’t want to be a Russian puppet, but he wants to stay in power,” Andrew Wilson, the author of Belarus: The Last European Dictatorship, told FP. “In hard power terms, he doesn’t have a lot of freedom to move against Russia. ”

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 24, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

People have commented about this video clip of Putin with Netanyahu to discuss Israel's concerns about Russia fighting in Syria. Either Putin is wearing new shoes and they're pinching his feet, or he's really uncomfortable talking to Benny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVyc6Wep7BI

You know how all the European leaders are nervous around Putin, with all his bravado about nuking America if they got the chance and they better not do anything or they'll cut off the gas and invade Poland? That's how Putin feels around Netanyahu, because he knows if Russia, through Syria or Iran, landed an type of offensive weapon anywhere in Israel, the Israelis would probably nuke Moscow along with Damascus and Tehran in retaliation.

Basically, Netanyahu is Putin's Putin.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Earlier in this thread someone linked a video of Putin's feet doing the same thing with another head of state. Maybe he just had lots of caffeine or uppers?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Serbia just banned trucks from Croatia entering the country.

:psyduck:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sparatuvs posted:

Serbia just banned trucks from Croatia entering the country.

:psyduck:

Yes. Croatia banned trucks coming in from Serbia from entering Croatia (more-less embargoing us) the same time it closed off the border to the refugees, causing severe economic damage in addition to the humanitarian one. After attempted negotiations failed, with frankly insane stuff coming from the Croatian government as an explanation, up to and including their PM accusing Serbia of being in a conspiracy with Hungary(lol) and the HDZ(wtf) to dump the refugees in Croatia, and blaming us for the truck driver strike on the border (gee, I wonder what could have possibly pissed off blocked off truck drivers), our government blocked truck transit the other way, too.

Frankly, I don't think it's a good move, but it's a tit-for-tat.

This article/video is related to it:

my dad posted:

For those who speak Serbo-Croatian, there was an interesting discussion between the Serbian minister of trade Rasim Ljajić of and the Croatian minister of internal affairs Rajko Ostojić on N1 TV. (the video is linked in the article)

http://rs.n1info.com/a94728/Vesti/Ostojic-i-Ljajic-o-izbeglicama.html

edit: Croatia escalated further by banning the entry of all Serbian citizens.

my dad fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 24, 2015

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

my dad posted:

Just watched that video.

I am sorry, but at least you guys had a good 15 years of peace. It was unrealistic to hope for more.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sparatuvs posted:

Just watched that video.

I am sorry, but at least you guys had a good 15 years of peace. It was unrealistic to hope for more.

Eh. It'll blow over once the election season is over in Croatia. I'm worried about the refugees and economic damage, though.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

my dad posted:

Eh. It'll blow over once the election season is over in Croatia. I'm worried about the refugees and economic damage, though.

Yeah, the election is in mid- late February which means it might be quite a bitter winter if it lasts that long. Certainly, Serbia doesn't need it.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 24, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

my dad posted:

GloryToArstotzka!.gif

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the election is in mid- late February which means it might be quite a bitter winter if it lasts that long. Cer.tainly, Serbia doesn't need it considering its economy.

I'll see if I can find the time to do a quick translation of the article my dad posted later today.

Re winter: This is just local news (and in Serbian) http://www.niskevesti.info/grade-se-4-nova-prihvatna-centra-za-migrante-i-u-nisu-jedno-prihvatiliste/ but essentially our gov't announced that they are aiming to build at least three more temporary reception centers for refugees by the start of this winter, one in Preševo, one in Miratovci (the border crossing with Macedonia) and one in Belgrade. After that they'll consider building a second center in Niš. The capacity of each of the centers will be 1000 people.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Just to prove how undeserving we Estonians are of our own country, the prosecutor in charge of the case of corrupt mayor accidentally sent some personal case notes to the lawyers of the mayor who was detained. They immediately revealed it to the newspapers. I bet even if he was convicted he would still walk (not literally, seeing as he has one leg), still be elected and still be the mayor or what the gently caress ever. Is there even a paragraph to prevent a convicted person from holding a state job ever again, I wonder. I don't dare hope for any actual prison term, more like parole just as always, seeing as he has just one leg. Bullshit.

We have such strong democracy that opposition members could do what ever they please and get away with it, lest we be seen as being authoritarian. Well here's hoping that he will be removed from office today.

Meanwhile our president and the prime minister have expressed regret that our reputation in the world has suffered a blow. Yeah, otherwise we could still pretend that things are fine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well at least your Prime Minister didn't gently caress a dead pig.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Well at least your Prime Minister didn't gently caress a dead pig.

He's an incompetent party hack and so makes up for it. He has never held a job in private sector. He started out as an adviser of some sort for a fellow party member. We have a corrupt political evil genius (the guy who is being investigated) and kids playing politics and pretending everything is fine.

So who hosed a dead pig?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
The prime minister of the united kingdom.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Our Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland hosed a dead pig in the mouth and someone in the political elite has the photo to prove it. We're hoping it's only a matter of time before it is tracked down.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Oinc!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I wish our prime minister would get into pig loving and give us some respite for a while.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

Our Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland hosed a dead pig in the mouth and someone in the political elite has the photo to prove it. We're hoping it's only a matter of time before it is tracked down.

Courtesy of Dr. Dogballs, GBS

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
euro protip: if you are going to facefuck a dead decapitated pig make sure no one is going to take a photo.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the election is in mid- late February which means it might be quite a bitter winter if it lasts that long. Certainly, Serbia doesn't need it.

Neither does Croatia, from what I can gather, but hey, what's the point of diplomacy when embargos are so much more fun?

Everyone would have been saved a lot of effort if we all sat down together and set a bunch money on fire. The financial effect would have been the same, but without the international tensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Viktor Orban accidentally says "refugees" but quickly corrects himself to "immigrants"
http://coub.com/view/8a7p5

"We will organize a corridor through which the refugees can go..... immigrants can go to austria or germany"

• Locked thread