Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Necc0 posted:

Seriously it was filed over a month ago I don't think there's anything to it

Yeah, but on the other hand, Bobby Jindal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
No the Jindal-scandal was technically meeting the requirements because he actually did suspend his campaign. The only thing was no one even noticed because lol Jindal. This is a fake submission. It'd be like saying someone pretended to be Jindal and said they were suspending the campaign and PredictIt closed the market.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

So is the consensus here that it's safe to hold NOs for now? Or should I panic sell at a 10c/share loss?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Necc0 posted:

No the Jindal-scandal was technically meeting the requirements because he actually did suspend his campaign. The only thing was no one even noticed because lol Jindal. This is a fake submission. It'd be like saying someone pretended to be Jindal and said they were suspending the campaign and PredictIt closed the market.

Actually in the thread for that contract, a Predict staffer said that they were aware of the claim but couldn't find anything more authoritative than a third-hand report of the statement. The actual interview footage of him saying so wasn't identified until weeks later because lol Jindal.

Aliquid posted:

That's exactly what's happening. I sold all my,no shares but two at .45, then refreshed and 100 more .45 shares were available so I got out completely.

:laffo: I was wondering why I kept being able to buy no shares for 40 and immediately flip them for 45 today

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

A Time To Chill posted:

So is the consensus here that it's safe to hold NOs for now? Or should I panic sell at a 10c/share loss?

They're not going to close the market because someone filed fake papers a month ago

Like I said before if he'd actually filed those papers it would have been a media shitstorm in minutes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

A Time To Chill posted:

It's not actually Diamond Joe. There's no way in hell he could file silently a month ago and no one would notice. Especially with the press salivating at the thought of him and Hillary fighting.

I'm just disappointed that the market hasn't gone way down so I could buy super ridiculously cheap Nos before the market realized they'd been had and the price rebounded.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Necc0 posted:

They're not going to close the market because someone filed fake papers a month ago

Like I said before if he'd actually filed those papers it would have been a media shitstorm in minutes.

Gyges posted:

It's not actually Diamond Joe. There's no way in hell he could file silently a month ago and no one would notice. Especially with the press salivating at the thought of him and Hillary fighting.

I'm just disappointed that the market hasn't gone way down so I could buy super ridiculously cheap Nos before the market realized they'd been had and the price rebounded.

I don't at all dispute that the filing is super fake. But aren't the people running the site ridiculously spergy rules lawyers?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
In other news someone is buying into R-Money and there's rumors that Trump has pissed him off enough that he'll enter. I don't think he will but if he does it better come with John Cena-Horns as he descends onto a debate stage

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

A Time To Chill posted:

I don't at all dispute that the filing is super fake. But aren't the people running the site ridiculously spergy rules lawyers?

Yes and that's my point. Jindal actually DID suspend his campaign. That was enough to trigger the rules. Biden HAS NOT FILED PAPERS

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

A Time To Chill posted:

Yeah, which supports the claim that they wouldn't use a fake filing. It doesn't say "a filing under the name of..." or anything like that.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Necc0 posted:

Yes and that's my point. Jindal actually DID suspend his campaign. That was enough to trigger the rules. Biden HAS NOT FILED PAPERS

That's fair and I'm inclined to side with your interpretation. But devil's advocate: A Joe Biden entered, if not THE Joe Biden. The rules don't actually specify a particular Joe Biden (though obviously you would have to be on another level of :psyduck: to not understand the spirit of the question).

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

In any case, I'll probably hold because I'd take a substantial loss at this point anyway. Might as well let it ride and hope PI isn't as dumb as its commenters.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

A Time To Chill posted:

That's fair and I'm inclined to side with your interpretation. But devil's advocate: A Joe Biden entered, if not THE Joe Biden. The rules don't actually specify a particular Joe Biden (though obviously you would have to be on another level of :psyduck: to not understand the spirit of the question).

Willing to believe having his picture right there should be enough.

Not to mention if they actually did close the market over some random Joe Biden entering the market it'd destroy their entire site and they'd more likely than not have a huge lawsuit on their hands. Who would ever bet on any market again if any random person could start throwing around fake papers to game it?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just bought into Biden NO when I saw it was down to .43 again, then I read the comments, then I freaked the gently caress out and came here. I think I'm going to hold on.

If they close the market because of this poo poo I'm cashing out and am done with the site; Necc0 is correct in that it'll ruin their reputation.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Is there any rhyme or reason to the way RealClearPolitics updates its polling average?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

platzapS posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to the way RealClearPolitics updates its polling average?

I'm pretty sure they have an approved list of polling outfits.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but it's not clear which of the approved outlets they use in the average and from what time period. See here: clearly the old CNN poll went away because there's a new one, but why isn't PPP in? It's within the past month.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it seems PI is slightly falling for this technicality bullshit

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Aliquid posted:

it seems PI is slightly falling for this technicality bullshit

It seems to basically be one guy trying to get other people to believe him. I wonder if he's just playing them.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Of course he is.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Scott Walker (and Jindal) just cost me half my alpha. I shouldn't have double dipped.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I'm holding out for the end of the month, just letting all my money ride on Trump > 25, Biden > 15, Bush < 10. This is a very heart-wrenching way to do this, I'm going to be waiting way too long and Trump has a real potential to dip in the polls.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1223/Will-congressional-job-approval-be-at-least-15-on-September-25

Looks like no here might be a decent buy at 20 cents. RCP has it at 15.2% right now, the latest poll was at 11%, and the next poll to be removed will be a 17%.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If they ever get rid of the poll from two months ago, that is.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fronz posted:

If they ever get rid of the poll from two months ago, that is.

The folks running RCP probably wonder why there are so many eager applicants to work as an unpaid intern for the site.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I wish there were a way to set upper and lower limits. Like, I want to sell these shares at 79 cents, but if there's a frenzy going on, I don't want to drop below 70 so I'll let go of them at that too, but I guess with the way the site operates that's not really possible.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

pathetic little tramp posted:

I wish there were a way to set upper and lower limits. Like, I want to sell these shares at 79 cents, but if there's a frenzy going on, I don't want to drop below 70 so I'll let go of them at that too, but I guess with the way the site operates that's not really possible.

I've been thinking of this lately too, on account of that piece of poo poo Scott Walker.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, it'd be great if you could short and long

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.predictit.org/Contract/1223/Will-congressional-job-approval-be-at-least-15-on-September-25

Looks like no here might be a decent buy at 20 cents. RCP has it at 15.2% right now, the latest poll was at 11%, and the next poll to be removed will be a 17%.

This was a good bet and I won a dollar so thank you :)

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I got nervous about biden and the shutdown and pulled out. At least "Donald trump will be at 25" is a safe 20% profit.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I just realized I have no loving idea if Biden is going to run or not and why am i betting on this

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Aliquid posted:

I just realized I have no loving idea if Biden is going to run or not and why am i betting on this

Yeah, that was my realization too, I'm really completely unsure if all this 'I'm not sure if I'll be ready' is show or not.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stereotype posted:

This was a good bet and I won a dollar so thank you :)

Should've went bigger, I sold already and won like $20.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I need more "thing will happen" to bet on. Poll betting is a lot more susceptible to random little outliers.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

I wish the shutdown market wasn't so stable. I was hoping for big swings when I bought in.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A Time To Chill posted:

I wish the shutdown market wasn't so stable. I was hoping for big swings when I bought in.

Ayup. I bought a bunch of yes shares early on expecting them to go up, and just today switched to no at a small loss because I didn't want to get caught with my pants down when they pass the continuing resolution.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer has issued a correction as of 01:45 on Jan 23, 2016

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
It's me. I'm the guy that always loses money to yall.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Yeah, I hosed myself by buying yes just before the announcement of the CR pathway. I still think there's a good chance of a shutdown, but I think my chances of catching an upward rise during the next few days are history.

As long as the CR doesn't pass by next week, prices should go up from here. Unless you've got yes shares in the high 40s or more there should still be enough of an upward flux to make some money. Even if you think the shutdown will be averted, the current valuation isn't reasonable come next week.

Keeping in mind that reasonable isn't necessarily the default setting for the market. Also that I thought some level of panic would have set in by now. Which hasn't happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

Wanamingo posted:

Ayup. I bought a bunch of yes shares early on expecting them to go up, and just today switched to no at a small loss because I didn't want to get caught with my pants down when they pass the continuing resolution.

I thought about switching to no but I kinda just wanna get out of the market altogether. It could go either way. At this point, I'm just holding on in the hopes it goes up a little bit this weekend and I can get my money back.

• Locked thread