Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
http://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4-behind-the-score-with-inon-zur/2015/09/22/30

This feature has two tracks from the game. An official version of the main theme and a new track "The Last Mariner".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
I remember New Vegas had XP challenges for restoring HP with food only. The recipies you got from the survival skill helped with that a lot.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

It is interesting how people drag Morrowind's brokenness out as some amazing, intentional design choice to be praised upon an alter, but Skyrim is a terrible mess made by lazy hacks for the exact same reason.

Not calling you out specifically, Meridian, the post just sparked the thought

It is definitely a fair point. My post aside I actually played the poo poo out of Skyrim and it only really became a problem for me on my later characters.

I got several hundred hours out of the game so I can't really complain.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magmarashi posted:

It is interesting how people drag Morrowind's brokenness out as some amazing, intentional design choice to be praised upon an alter, but Skyrim is a terrible mess made by lazy hacks for the exact same reason.

Yeah I dunno why people love that you can stack pots in Morrowind and go godmode but poo poo on Skyrim nonstop for the Alchemy/Blacksmithing/Enchanting thing.

Although 'a terrible mess made by lazy hacks' is a pretty huge exaggeration imo. It's a huge game with a lot of moving parts and I think they genuinely worked on making a good game instead of just going 'eh gently caress it' and making GBS threads out whatever. We tend to ignore all the good stuff and ignore all the thousands of hours that goes into making one of these games and laser focus on poo poo we don't like.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

sector_corrector posted:

Huh. It seems like athletics might be making a comeback. Also, since when has anything swimming related ever actually proved useful in a stat-based ARPG?
New Objective: Drink all the radioactive tea out of Boston Harbor [ 0 / 46,000,000 gallons ]

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rabidredneck posted:

I remember New Vegas had XP challenges for restoring HP with food only. The recipies you got from the survival skill helped with that a lot.

Oh yeah, Food's likely going to become useless again depending on if they make any recipes that could give using stimpacks a run for their money. I guess if we can break down plates and pitchers into base crafting components it won't be too bad, but I did like mass purifying all the dirty water you'd find into something better.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Crabtree posted:

Oh yeah, Food's likely going to become useless again depending on if they make any recipes that could give using stimpacks a run for their money. I guess if we can break down plates and pitchers into base crafting components it won't be too bad, but I did like mass purifying all the dirty water you'd find into something better.

Well, the Endurance video talked about food a lot, so higher endurance might mean more healing from food and water items. Maybe even give a buff to whatever skill lets you cook meals as well.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I dunno why people love that you can stack pots in Morrowind and go godmode but poo poo on Skyrim nonstop for the Alchemy/Blacksmithing/Enchanting thing.

Although 'a terrible mess made by lazy hacks' is a pretty huge exaggeration imo. It's a huge game with a lot of moving parts and I think they genuinely worked on making a good game instead of just going 'eh gently caress it' and making GBS threads out whatever. We tend to ignore all the good stuff and ignore all the thousands of hours that goes into making one of these games and laser focus on poo poo we don't like.

Honestly I've started reading usage of 'lazy devs' as a sort of shorthand for 'I have nothing of solid value to say', which has been accurate about 98% of the time.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

there's a cost to giving every item a potentially infinitely expanding amount of properties

combine that with people being not that skilled at putting together engines and you get taking 3 minutes to load a container. it really doesn't seem to be laziness as much as it is they don't have people good enough to handle the scope of the project efficiently

which is something I appreciate more than people trying to make a good engine and developing literally nothing of value, like crytek

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 23, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Alkydere posted:

Well, the Endurance video talked about food a lot, so higher endurance might mean more healing from food and water items. Maybe even give a buff to whatever skill lets you cook meals as well.
Swimming and stamina bar aside, it sounds like the typical food-related perks -- Cannibal lets you eat corpses, Lead Belly lets you drink irradiated water, half a dozen others from New Vegas.

Whether that makes food worth eating in FO4 remains to be seen.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've never done a survival run, but from what I understand food starts off as fairly weak, and then becomes easily the best way to restore health late into the game for NV. It's largely because Stims only ever heal you, but food also provides massive boosts in other areas without the danger of addiction. Even more so when you install jsawyer, which reconfigures how both systems work.

Unfortunately, even in NV, rads are largely meaningless, the hunger/thirst systems are mostly just an inconvenience, stims are abundant, and even addiction doesn't matter that much. I can't see FO4 changing any of that considerably.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Just keep what little Wasteland Gourmet cooking there is and maybe add 10-30 new things to make with the local wildlife. It'd be a waste of a good joke to let Android Cannibalism or Molerat/Mirelurk Queen Roast not happen.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
no one posted this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paYU1neP3xM

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Gibberish posted:

no one posted this yet?

Top of the page.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

It's pretty obvious to me. Skyrim's brokenness is just numbers whereas Morrowind's brokenness is visual/active stuff like you being able to moon jump or hover or use telekinesis, etc. Morrowind has some "just numbers going up" stuff and numbers going up is part of the path to godmode, but that's all Skyrim has. They are two very different types of godmodes. One is you using a godmode cheat in legend of zelda and making the master sword OHKO everything, the other is you using a godmode cheat in Saints Row 4.

You'll get bored with both and both are broken as poo poo, but the latter will hold your interest slightly longer. People aren't making GBS threads on Skyrim non-stop for alchemy/blacksmithing/enchanting for leveling/making absurb gear. They are making GBS threads on Skyrim non-stop for leveling up and gear not offering interesting options beyond numbers going up.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Are you sure you're not describing Morrowind? Everything was locked behind numbers going up, even hitting an enemy was a dice roll. There was nothing interesting in Morrowind, just give yourself 100% chameleon within the first five minutes and win the game. Skyrim requires skill, Morrowind requires the RNG to be nice to you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Am I allowed to say that I just liked the setting of Morrowind at least? It skewed pretty far from Generic European Fantasy World with its architecture, alien wildlife and so on.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Morrowind had cool stuff like that hat that made you sprint a couple times faster but at the cost of effectively blinding you. Its magic system was robust enough (or broken? may have been an exploit) where you could nullify the vision penalty.

Or that jump scroll that killed the user from the fall because of the height involved.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rinkles posted:

Morrowind had cool stuff like that hat that made you sprint a couple times faster but at the cost of effectively blinding you. Its magic system was robust enough (or broken? may have been an exploit) where you could nullify the vision penalty.

Or that jump scroll that killed the user from the fall because of the height involved.

Boots of Blinding Speed (loving plebe)

I will grant that Morrowind had some interesting poo poo like chug 50 Skoomas and moonjump over mountains before dying of an OD but there was plenty of poo poo that was hosed that we look at through rose tinted glasses. Those bugs/features are endearing to us but meanwhile similar bugs/features in more recent games get criticized like hell for them.

Although Morrowind is still probably my favorite, even though I enjoy Oblivion and Skyrim a lot. It is true that there were more interesting quirky things (like those scrolls of Icarian Flight) and that the magic system let you do more fuckery-wise than the others. I do think if it was released today as is but with updated graphics and whatever people would ream the gently caress out of it for certain things we fondly remember.

\/\/\/ Yeah out of all the games I felt like completing the main quest in Morrowind was the most satisfying, followed by Oblivion (at least those drat gates disappear), followed by Skyrim (I guess the dragons are gone? I don't even know the impact is negligible even though you just saved the world from a dragon god).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 23, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One thing that was NOT BS about Morrowind was that completing the main story quest caused an entire class of enemies around the world to die. I liked that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
However Skyrim lets you put a bucket on an NPC's head and rob the poo poo out of them because they can't see you anymore and that is hilarious and brilliant emergent systems imo. Like I don't think that was intentional, but it was just an emergent feature coming from the line of sight sneaking and the physics engine.

Much better than spending time slowly blocking an NPC into a corner like in Morrowind and running around them until they finally face away from whatever you're trying to steal.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Moridin920 posted:

However Skyrim lets you put a bucket on an NPC's head and rob the poo poo out of them because they can't see you anymore and that is hilarious and brilliant emergent systems imo. Like I don't think that was intentional, but it was just an emergent feature coming from the line of sight sneaking and the physics engine.

Much better than spending time slowly blocking an NPC into a corner like in Morrowind and running around them until they finally face away from whatever you're trying to steal.

I liked lifting something up with V (grab), then walking out of view of the shopkeeper, THEN steeling it.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Thievery in Morrowind was ace, crouch out of site of the npc, around the corner. Or my favorite first move of a fresh start, robbing the guard towers in Balmora blocking vision with the stability beams. Morrowind was definitely one of my favorite games on the xbox, got so many items in the house I used that the game had to make an overflow bag where it started dumping stuff. Remember that the game was made in 2002 when you compare it with games made 10 years later, plenty of games from that era and before went on rng number throws in different terms. IE games like dungeon siege with weapon skill, dodging and that kind of junk.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

The Fallout 4 loot crate has both been released for preorder and sold out. It was over $100. I don't regret missing it.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Everything Loot Crate sells looks like a waste of money

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Geoff Zahn posted:

Isn't it just that old 'mystery box' scam? Sell loads of boxes of worthless junk with the promise that one will have something valuable in it?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

7c Nickel posted:

http://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/fallout-4-behind-the-score-with-inon-zur/2015/09/22/30

This feature has two tracks from the game. An official version of the main theme and a new track "The Last Mariner".

These songs are pretty cool, even if I'll probably never hear them in-game because I'll just have the radio on all the time. :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Geoff Zahn posted:

It's literally just a scheme to make people pay huge mark-up for items that would be laughed out of Dollar Tree.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My friend got loot crate for a while. I think he paid $20/mo and was pretty happy with everything he got so w/e.

Don't expect a return on investment or something but if you like nerdy poo poo like that it's not all bad.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So you pay $20 to get sent a random assortment of plastic tat every month in a box. Why let this company decide what lovely merchandise you buy? If you are an adult who likes to play with childrens toys why wouldn't you just use that $20 to buy the specific childrens toys you actually want?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

marktheando posted:

So you pay $20 to get sent a random assortment of plastic tat every month in a box. Why let this company decide what lovely merchandise you buy? If you are an adult who likes to play with childrens toys why wouldn't you just use that $20 to buy the specific childrens toys you actually want?

Well, they don't make Fallout toys of any description, so you either have to get themed poo poo off Etsy, through official promotion poo poo, or self craft.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I have a hunch that stimpacks will be much more effective and much rarer/more effecfive in this game, and you'll need to save them for OH poo poo scenarios. Maybe like a full heal or something. This would make scrounged and crafted food much more important. Just a feeling I have.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That or the fact that every piece of random loot can be used in crafting means that Stimpacks will be more useful for barter, as you'll be using up every other drat fool thing in making poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Speedball posted:

Am I allowed to say that I just liked the setting of Morrowind at least? It skewed pretty far from Generic European Fantasy World with its architecture, alien wildlife and so on.

Sure, although I can't really think of games with Skyrim's setting (if you want generic fantasy world, look at Oblivion).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I actually kind of hope that there's some fanfare of you deconstructing pieces of the environment to harvest components like metal from rusted cars that haven't exploded yet or landfills that you take out a welding mask and just go to town on. Extra points if after getting a vertabird you can call it in to haul poo poo so you don't have to wander all the way back to a base and can airdrop poo poo to and from you.

Probably too convenient to not need to be modded in.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

Rabidredneck posted:

Inon Zur plays the Fallout 4 them on his piano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn8fQMRsaqU

Enjoy.

All I hear is Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

Sure, although I can't really think of games with Skyrim's setting (if you want generic fantasy world, look at Oblivion).

Morrowind's setting was way more unique than Skyrim's imo.

Skyrim's is hella viking/north fantasy generic.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Magmarashi posted:

Not calling you out specifically, Meridian, the post just sparked the thought

Morrowind was broken in interesting ways, while a broken buggy game it was open for you to do pretty much anything you wanted. You could raise an army of the dead, you could fly through the skies raining fire on the land or you could just run around at super speeds stealing everything. Skyrim by comparison doesn't really let you do anything like that. You can't make your own magic anymore, your enchantments are severely limited to just increasing the strength of your spells in specific ways. You can't even make yourself run faster or jump better and the novelty of being the terminator wears thin when you realize you can't just go on a murder spree or something because almost every NPC with a name is immortal.

Even exploring skyrim gets old fast because most of the landscape is incredibly samey and there's almost nothing interesting out there. You'll find a thousand torches, apples and sets of iron armor in boxes and chests but you probably won't find anything too interesting, especially once you level up and common enemies start wearing stuff that far outclasses anything you find even in boss chests. Even quests in skyrim offer very little intrigue because they're designed for you to follow the quest marker and trying to do one without it is near impossible in some cases because the journal entries don't actually tell you anything they just say things like "Find the thing" and your marker points directly to where it is and no NPCs will tell you where it is either. Maybe calling Bethesda lazy is unfair or something, but it feels like they designed Skyrim for people who didn't actually like playing the games.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Following the vague, sometimes slightly incorrect journal entries to a quest objective in Morrowind was a goddamn nightmare of aimless wandering and quadruple checking poo poo then staring at rocks, especially with how the journal was arranged like a real loving journal. You can't even pretend that it was a better way of doing things.

Chests and crates in Morrowind were 90% candles, silverware, 1 gold coin and pillows with a chest occasionally of something really good but it was placed there intentionally, which it shares in common with Oblivion and Skyrim. A great deal of 'It was SO MUCH better!' is straight up rose-tinting. The only things that really set it apart were the crazy setting and the drug-tripped story, without those it has all the same pitfalls and shortcomings of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Nuebot posted:

Even quests in skyrim offer very little intrigue because they're designed for you to follow the quest marker and trying to do one without it is near impossible in some cases because the journal entries don't actually tell you anything they just say things like "Find the thing" and your marker points directly to where it is and no NPCs will tell you where it is either. Maybe calling Bethesda lazy is unfair or something, but it feels like they designed Skyrim for people who didn't actually like playing the games.

• Locked thread