Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Say, didn't they make three versions of FE:Fates just for difficulty concerns? Birthright for filthy casual, and Conquest for real ballers?
And uh... a third one that... does things. Whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I could live with a biweekly Friendcast if it was a bit longer on average.

As far as podcasts go, it's already really loving long.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Andrast posted:

It's usually shorter than the bombcast, and this is only if we got it less often.

Alternatively, take up Hardcore History's schedule.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

HGH posted:

Say, didn't they make three versions of FE:Fates just for difficulty concerns? Birthright for filthy casual, and Conquest for real ballers?
And uh... a third one that... does things. Whatever it's called.

The only "difficulty" is that Birthright has a grindable map selection. Otherwise they're all about the same difficulty if you play through the missions in a row. They're all much harder than Awakening.

Also, all 3 games are different, whole games. Birthright and Conquest share maybe 2 maps out of 20. They're each Awakening size.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Andrast posted:

Bombcast and SBFC kinda spoiled me on podcasts. Both ranged from 2-3 hours. The other podcast I listen to is an hour at the most and always feels too short.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

The only "difficulty" is that Birthright has a grindable map selection. Otherwise they're all about the same difficulty if you play through the missions in a row. They're all much harder than Awakening.

Also, all 3 games are different, whole games. Birthright and Conquest share maybe 2 maps out of 20. They're each Awakening size.

Have they said how they are releasing the game here? Are the games bundled together or are they separate like in Japan?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Tae posted:

I'd rather have that than "Huh. TGS happened. Nothing happened. Let's talk about Destiny for 30 minutes, that game we really hate but the shooting's real good!"

yea that last one was rough

i am beginning to suspect that patrick is not the shin megami tensei fan that i was lead to believe he is

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Oxyclean posted:

Bombcast and SBFC kinda spoiled me on podcasts. Both ranged from 2-3 hours. The other podcast I listen to is an hour at the most and always feels too short.

worst idea of all time is only 30 minutes and i always wish there was more. but they are torturing themselves for my entertainment, so i would never dare insist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Andrast posted:

Have they said how they are releasing the game here? Are the games bundled together or are they separate like in Japan?

Birthright and Conquest are separate. Invisible Kingdom is DLC (but still the same size as the other two games).

In Japan, they let you download the other game for 15 bucks so I assume we're getting that or maybe even cheaper (since the DLC was much cheaper in NA for Awakening).

So basically 3 full fire emblem games for 70 bucks.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

hubris.height posted:

yea that last one was rough

i am beginning to suspect that patrick is not the shin megami tensei fan that i was lead to believe he is

He's more of a xenogears fan if you go by old account names.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Birthright and Conquest are separate. Invisible Kingdom is DLC (but still the same size as the other two games).

In Japan, they let you download the other game for 15 bucks so I assume we're getting that or maybe even cheaper (since the DLC was much cheaper in NA for Awakening).

So basically 3 full fire emblem games for 70 bucks.

I'm so on board with that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mystery Box underlines the eternal principle: all Transformers shows are terrible, but everyone has one that's THEIR kind of terrible.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Beast Wars is Objectively Good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Beast Wars is bad

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh, I remember this lovely rear end game! My computer at the time was so weak it basically played at 5 frames a second. Wow, I'm glad I didn't miss out.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Beast Wars is Objectively Good
Yes. So drat good.
I miss Dinobot...

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I think MGSV's story could have been fairly easily fixed to feel less unfinished.

I would have structured it like this

1. Big Boss wakes up
3. He recreates mother base
2. Big Boss tracks down Skull Face and gets the disease on his base
3. A bunch of guys die and Big Boss smears ashes on his face
4. Huey gets hosed over because Big Boss and Miller are really loving angry and Huey is being a poo poo
5. Skull Face just laughs at your dead soldiers and Big Boss goes Nuclear
6. You track down Skull Face and kill him really hard ROLL CREDITS
7. BIG TWIST is a post credits cutscene but maybe not

It's not perfect but it would feel more like a finished product at least. I would have also personally preferred if Kojima had used the shrapnel as a reason for all the crazy magic poo poo and went crazy with that concept. First Volgin appears even though he's dead, then a fiery whale appears. Maybe later Big Boss hallucinates more crazy stuff. I don't know

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I tune in to the podcasts fairly regularly, but they've been getting increasingly long and not often from news brought back from cons and other events. That's completely understandable, there should be a ton of things to talk about when that happens or if there's a big glut of games released.

Otherwise when the podcast is hitting 3 and a half hours it gets harder to listen to( for some reason I can't view the player properly so there's no skipping segments for me). There used to be a timer on earlier podcasts for topics, I wouldn't mind that being brought back to tighten the structure up again. These are my opinions on free content.

Right now I'm listening to #111 and Matt appears to have died somewhere in the Destiny conversation.

Hey Matt! Did you know Sea Otters have a favourite rock for breaking shells? They carry it under their arm with them :3:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

TheRealestMatt posted:

Then why did the trailers say it was?

Come on now, as a MGS fan you should know all about Kojima's trailers not being a good basis for your expectations.

edit: beaten like a good egg

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

TheRealestMatt posted:

You might get one of those conversations (that lasts roughly 5 mins long) out of 5 podcasts, which is then 15 hours talking about street fighter technical jargon, japanese sales numbers and destiny.

That you share my feelings on the podcast (which I still listen to weekly despite) explains so much. I always feel like your notable stretches of silence coincide with me tuning out because what the gently caress even is this conversation about.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

gently caress beast wars and reboot and every lovely 90's CGI cartoon that started doing computer graphics way before it looked good, poo poo looked like a joke

I'm sorry but I seriously hate everything in that 'art style' where poo poo is ugly untextured polygons and there was like a neverending flood of games in that time period that looked like that and it makes me irrationally angry for some reason, I never even watched beast wars because I was too old for it anyway, maybe it was actually good

I did watch some of reboot though it was totally garbage along with every other 'wow we're inside the computer!!!1' thing ever with the exception of Tron

wait where did this derail come from

E: OH the mystery box is beast wars and yeah it still looks like a flaming pile of butts

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 24, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Indecisive posted:

gently caress beast wars and reboot and every lovely 90's CGI cartoon that started doing computer graphics way before it looked good, poo poo looked like a joke

I'm sorry but I seriously hate everything in that 'art style' where poo poo is ugly untextured polygons and there was like a neverending flood of games in that time period that looked like that and it makes me irrationally angry for some reason, I never even watched beast wars because I was too old for it anyway, maybe it was actually good

I did watch some of reboot though it was totally garbage along with every other 'wow we're inside the computer!!!1' thing ever with the exception of Tron

wait where did this derail come from

It came from your bitter, shriveled, dark heart because you're bad and wrong. :colbert:

(they were ugly af tho)

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Minorkos posted:

It's not perfect but it would feel more like a finished product at least. I would have also personally preferred if Kojima had used the shrapnel as a reason for all the crazy magic poo poo and went crazy with that concept. First Volgin appears even though he's dead, then a fiery whale appears. Maybe later Big Boss hallucinates more crazy stuff. I don't know

This at least factors into the cut ending and paz but I would have liked a lot more of it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Matt, where's Plague Knight?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like MGS 5, as a game I think it's fantastic, but yea I 100% agree with 'if 4 was the end than 5 needed to say a hell of a lot more than it did'.

Funny enough I started replaying Witcher 3, and it's interesting to see these two kinds of open worlds done well. MGS 5 is 'you ALWAYS have something to do...even if it's the same thing over and over, point is you can DO something', and Witcher is 'this is a WORLD we've made, this world has rules and concepts in it that we will not break, so sometimes you suck poo poo and ride a horse for five minutes, but then when you get to something chances are it'll be meaningful to do'.

I think both styles have significant merits to them, and I kinda love that this year we've had basically the best versions of both.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I think a lot of TPP's sandbox is "make your own fun" too.

Like, I've found a tonne of fun trying to take over outposts without firing a single shot. Going into places like the oil refinery or the airport, and CQCing everyone with perfect stealth.

No side ops there or anything, just doing it to test myself.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

TheRealestMatt posted:

I've brought this up a few times, some changes here and there. They get shot down everytime. So yeah. Pipe dream at this point. I really, HONESTLY shouldn't complain, it's one thing we do, ONCE a week. It's just, the fact that we can never change it, or delay it that often except for the most extraordinary circumstances, it's just...very repetitive. Rarely any video games ever get recorded on Mondays. In fact several LP parts and other stuff have continually gotten delayed and recorded at later times, because recording the Podcast takes up such a huge block of time one day of the week.

And also, I never said we'd STOP. I just think...I dunno, it could be done far better and in a more engaging way or format or....something.

The sleepycast is the high benchmark for podcasts to me, I never had so much fun than when I was on that. 1-800-I-DUNNO is still the best thing we've ever been a part of.

Anyway, I'm kinda done talking about this.

I know you said you're done talking about it and I know it does nothing to say "JUST DO IT!" cause i'm not loving Shia LeBouf but I think making up your own poo poo for it some kinda outlet would be neat and frankly if you eased off the podcast or it changed i'd be kinda sad that my favorite weekly show was different or gone but it'd be better than you coming to the podcast one day, shooting Pat and taking off for the mountains with Zach to hide out in a cabin (no girls allowed). I don't know, you're a quarter of that group and the one that is the reason all this got started and those guys have jobs, seems like you should have some sway in there, I don't know. If you need the goons here to do a letter writing campaign about how we'd like to see more original content on the podcast you know this group of uglies would do it. We'd loving Andy Dufresne it. Just something to think about cause you shouldn't dread part of your job and if we can help we would.

As for MGSV, having beat it I can say that the gameplay is great but think that switching to Kiefer murdered the story. He's fine voice wise but you can tell they had to write whole sections around him not talking because he wasn't available and it loving sucks. Also it's lopsided. For as much action and no story as chapter 1 has chapter 2 has a big rear end story dump and the gameplay kinda peters out. I'd say stick with it just because it DOES get more METAL GEAR-ish at a point and there's a few cool things you'll appreciate but I can totally understand and mostly agree with the problems it has. Feels like a buncha lost potential and part of that is on Kojima. Still probably one of the better games this year but Metal Gear wise it falls behind 1,3 and probably 2 in my book. Also if you've been spoiled know that the twist kinda plays out slightly better than it sounds. At least if you remember what an MSX looks like.

Also triple gently caress Destiny talk.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I think a lot of TPP's sandbox is "make your own fun" too.

Like, I've found a tonne of fun trying to take over outposts without firing a single shot. Going into places like the oil refinery or the airport, and CQCing everyone with perfect stealth.

No side ops there or anything, just doing it to test myself.

Well, that's what a sandbox game entails, right? Make your own fun, do stuff in X and Y way because you can.

I'm at mission 22, and I skipped the discussion because of veiled spoilers that are super easy to puzzle out (I WONDER WHAT THE BIG TWIST IS YOU GUUUUyyyss), but I did read Matt's initial post and I can totally understand where he's coming from. Metal Gear Solid is all about the dumb spy plot. It's Solid hearing 20min of exposition on METAL GEAR?? and fighting this massive Inuit black men with a minigun, as a reward for puzzling your way out of a heavily-guarded helicopter parking lot. MGS3 is my favorite game in the series because it balances that plot insanity with real good stealth mechanics and an open-world full of easter eggs. Now, MGSV is an AMAZING sandbox game. It's the best Far Cry game ever created, and this is coming from someone that doesn't care for that "genre" too much. However, the way it's presented puts it at odds with what the series WAS up to this point. You do four, five main missions for every plot-relevant one. They're fun to play through, sure, but they all boil down to "scout the area, shoot down guys in your way, Fulton someone/explode something", 20-30min a piece. And you will revisit those areas, many times. To me, it makes the opposite mistake MGS4 made - instead of having too many cutscenes, it has way too few, especially for a MGS game. Big Boss is a silent protagonist now. poo poo, your main action companion is named QUIET. There'll be a big cardboard box-shaped hole in your heart if you came into this game expecting classic Metal Gear Solid, and I'm saying this only 22 missions in. I've heard a lot of "the second half is worse"...

However, as I said previously, it's a GREAT sandbox game. If you're the type of player that likes replaying missions lots of times, making up challenges, doing all the side missions, holy gently caress is it good. Reflex makes it a bit more actiony, while at the same time encouraging stealth - you don't need to worry about an ill-timed takedown or tranq while ghosting a base. It still has all those cool easter-egg moments, although I feel like the 80s music inflow has shut down every since I made it to Africa, ironically). Researching new weapons and managing your base rewards good play and gives you something to do while you're waiting for a guard to turn around. So, I can see how Liam and many other people would think this is one of the best games in the series too. It's probably the best one gameplay-wise, if we're not counting MGR, and I'd rather have this than MGS4 or 2. But still...aww, I'm bumming myself out.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I am actually somewhat convinced at this point that Big Boss being silent is intentional. I did not think so at first, that if anything that was a coincidence that kinda works for the story more than anything else. But now I see things differently.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baal posted:

Beast Wars is bad
No. Beast Wars is Good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Beasts Wars is not good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Give reasons, you goddamn goons

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
90s CG was the worst and why I never watched Beast Wars and Reboot as a child

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I watched both and will defend neither.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I haven't seen Beast Wars in ages but I remember liking it. ReBoot is great so long as you just sort of... skip most of Season 1.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Not liking. East wars for the poo poo cgi? Valid. Not liking the story or characters? Then I have to question your tastes!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It also introduced me to every canadian voice actor I hate except Scott McNeil.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Beast Wars was fun and good although it looked like melted rear end in a top hat. Reboot was a good concept and gave Tony Jay work, those are the best things I can say about it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I agree with matt mcmuffin about metal gear. Best gameplay in the series but everything else is just the worst. I enjoyed playing it at first but now I'm just trying to finish it.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Overbite posted:

I agree with matt mcmuffin about metal gear. Best gameplay in the series but everything else is just the worst. I enjoyed playing it at first but now I'm just trying to finish it.

I'm struggling to finish it.

On that note, in the current mgsv video, they triggered a cutscene after blowing up the tank but it didn't happen to me. Or I just don't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Brad swaile is awesome, what the gently caress