Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Someone on ebay in atlanta has a bunch of 5775c's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i7-i7-5775C-Quad-core-4-Core-3-30-GHz-Processor-Socket-H3-LGA-115-/121743957103?hash=item1c58815c6f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
So does Newegg and Amazon, for about the same price, $430 or $420 with shipping.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
With no Skylake-C coming, and Kaby Lake a year+ out still, it seems the best gaming-focused upgrade will be those 5775C's if they ever come down closer to MSRP.

I kinda wonder how they'd compare to something like a 5820k, which Fry's had on sale recently for $300.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Why do people want these [5775c] for desktop, again? The integrated graphics (which you aren't going to use) takes up like half the die. Surely, you'd be better off with with that die area used to give it... I dunno, like 20 megs more cache or 4 extra cores or something?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

lDDQD posted:

Why do people want these [5775c] for desktop, again? The integrated graphics (which you aren't going to use) takes up like half the die. Surely, you'd be better off with with that die area used to give it... I dunno, like 1280 megs more cache or 4 extra cores or something?

;)

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

lDDQD posted:

Why do people want these [5775c] for desktop, again? The integrated graphics (which you aren't going to use) takes up like half the die. Surely, you'd be better off with with that die area used to give it... I dunno, like 20 megs more cache or 4 extra cores or something?

Most of the increased die is the 128MB eDRAM, which acts as a L4 cache when iGPU is disabled and leads to performance comparable or even surpassing Skylake, w/o the need for a new socket or memory type.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

lDDQD posted:

The integrated graphics are an Iris Pro 6200. A little shy of a GTX 750, to be sure, but it also means that A) a lot of people will be just fine with that depending on their game portfolio, and B) you can still game if your card kicks it.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
The eDRAM? Seems to have not a whole lot of impact on overall memory performance in a desktop context. I think it's more of a power-saving strategy for mobile than anything else. Plus, it's kinda needed for the large iGPU.

Overall it just doesn't seem like a very good chip for a gaming rig. Same core count as we've had for 6 years, less actual (SRAM) cache, poor overclocking. It's expensive to boot.
I guess people think the eDRAM is going to make some miracles happen :shrug:.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

quote:

The gaming plot tells a similar story, but here, the 6700K is in the running for the fastest gaming CPU on the planet—and it would've won, too, if it weren't for the pesky Broadwell 5775C and its magic L4 cache. The 6700K improves on the 4790K by a tad, but the 5775C upstages it with a freakish string of gaming performance wins, even though its prevailing clock speed is ~500MHz lower.

http://techreport.com/review/28751/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-processor-reviewed/14

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

lDDQD posted:

The eDRAM? Seems to have not a whole lot of impact on overall memory performance in a desktop context. I think it's more of a power-saving strategy for mobile than anything else. Plus, it's kinda needed for the large iGPU.

Overall it just doesn't seem like a very good chip for a gaming rig. Same core count as we've had for 6 years, less actual (SRAM) cache, poor overclocking. It's expensive to boot.
I guess people think the eDRAM is going to make some miracles happen :shrug:.

It doesn't do amazing things for max/average FPS, no, but those numbers are pretty comparable to other high-end chips like the 6700k and 4790k (by which I mean +/- 1-2%). What it does do, however, is noticeably improve minimum FPS, which is often seen as more important to providing a good gaming experience. I.e., I probably can't notice the difference between 55 and 58FPS, but I can sure as poo poo notice if that 58 microstutters to 30 every few seconds.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
I'm not seeing any big wins for it, aside from project: cars in that review. Other reivews paint an even bleaker picture.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

lDDQD posted:

I'm not seeing any big wins for it, aside from project: cars in that review. Other reivews paint an even bleaker picture.

Yeah, I really don't get why people are going so crazy about it. It's marginally better than the 6770k in games, is slower in every other usage, and costs ~$100 more when you can find it. I could see an argument for it if you already have an LGA1150 board with an i5 and really feel like you need a CPU upgrade. Or maybe if you're upgrading from Sandy/Ivy or earlier and only use your desktop for games and you can get it for MSRP. It just doesn't make sense to me otherwise.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Theris posted:

Yeah, I really don't get why people are going so crazy about it.

It's because it's weird and different, in a time when x86 CPU options are more limited than they ever have been.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

lDDQD posted:

If you have a 3xxx a 4xxx and a 5xxx chip all getting within 1% on something (and a 2600k hanging on just another 1-2% behind), you know what that says? It says it's GPU limited and not CPU limited. Also, as previously stated, the gains for the 5775C are not in terms of bumping up the max or average FPS, but rather pulling up the minimum frames.

Theris posted:

Yeah, I really don't get why people are going so crazy about it. It's marginally better than the 6770k in games, is slower in every other usage, and costs ~$100 more when you can find it. I could see an argument for it if you already have an LGA1150 board with an i5 and really feel like you need a CPU upgrade. Or maybe if you're upgrading from Sandy/Ivy or earlier and only use your desktop for games and you can get it for MSRP. It just doesn't make sense to me otherwise.
No one's arguing that it's a great deal at $500+, because it's objectively not. But at MSRP of around $350, it would make a lot of sense for people who are looking to upgrade and already have compatible hardware: for $350 you get gaming performance that's as good or better than anything else that'll be on the market anytime soon; for Skylake you're talking a ~$700 price tag, your gaming performance sees virtually no improvement over an overclocked 2600k, you get a roughly 10% performance increase vs a 5775C in office-type stuff (where quite frankly you're unlikely to notice the performance difference, anyhow), and your big win is encoding performance (20%+).

I mean, yeah, if I was doing BluRay encodes all day, absolutely I'd get Skylake. But as a gamer, a ~$350 5775C that I can drop into my existing system and let me game better than a $700 Skylake setup? Why wouldn't you think that'd be cool?

Of course, it's all irrelevant so long as the most "reasonable" source for the 5775C is some eBay dude importing them from Japan.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

lDDQD posted:

The huge iGPU is a waste of space, yes, that's not what people are buying it for. When the iGPU is disabled, the eDRAM becomes an enormous cache...

The frame consistency delivered in games by that enormous L4 cache beats a 4790K which has a huge clock advantage. The 5775C is also unlocked, so the only way is up. Average frame rates are not the thing to focus on here.

Of course, nobody should be buying it at a crazy price, and it's not exactly earth-shattering, but it's annoying to hear there will be no Skylake equivalent.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's because it's weird and different, in a time when x86 CPU options are more limited than they ever have been.

Also this. We're dying for actual improvements here. Seeing frame stutter reduced even by a tiny amount and minimum FPS boosted on a chip hardly anyone will have makes it a bit of an enigma.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 22, 2015

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'm trying to catch up on the state of Intel so I can decide on my upgrade. I'm going to be retiring my trusty old Lynnfield i7-875K (which only boots at overclocked speeds :v:). For my past 2 workstations, I'd gotten "tocks" just in case I wanted to upgrade to a fancy new "tick" afterwards (which I've never actually done, but yeah).

As far as I can tell, the cliff notes are:

- Skylake is the latest "tock".
- Cannonlake the 10nm "tick" will not be ready in time so the next iteration will be Kaby Lake, another "tock".
- Intel isn't finished with Broadwell and will be releasing high-end Broadwell-E
- The performance gap between Skylake, Broadwell and Haswell isn't that significant

Now, besides gaming, one of the things I'll be doing lots of is compiling a UE4 project. Though the bottleneck for compilation usually comes from I/O, UE4's tools are pretty good about consolidating working units in order to minimize I/O overhead, so a good CPU still helps. Unfortunately, few application benchmarks ever bother including compilation times nowadays.

Is there any thing about either Skylake or Haswell architectures that favour one over the other for I/O or compilation overhead? Because barring a distinctive factor, I'll just give gaming performance priority and get the 5775C or 6700K whenever the early adopter premium goes away.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

DrDork posted:

I kinda wonder how they'd compare to something like a 5820k, which Fry's had on sale recently for $300.
The overhead in power consumption probably isn't worth it. I've been looking at the 5820K since forever, especially since it easily overclocks to 4GHz. However idle power draw at stock speed's already distinctively higher over ye ol' quad cores. What I've seen listed in reviews when it's overclocked makes your eyes pop out of your head.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Does UE4 use as many threads as possible? I'm thinking Xeon.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

DX12 currently uses a max of 6 threads. Vulkan not known yet, but in its ARM incarnations it uses every thread possible.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Jan posted:

I'm trying to catch up on the state of Intel so I can decide on my upgrade. I'm going to be retiring my trusty old Lynnfield i7-875K (which only boots at overclocked speeds :v:). For my past 2 workstations, I'd gotten "tocks" just in case I wanted to upgrade to a fancy new "tick" afterwards (which I've never actually done, but yeah).

As far as I can tell, the cliff notes are:

- Skylake is the latest "tock".
- Cannonlake the 10nm "tick" will not be ready in time so the next iteration will be Kaby Lake, another "tock".
- Intel isn't finished with Broadwell and will be releasing high-end Broadwell-E
- The performance gap between Skylake, Broadwell and Haswell isn't that significant

Now, besides gaming, one of the things I'll be doing lots of is compiling a UE4 project. Though the bottleneck for compilation usually comes from I/O, UE4's tools are pretty good about consolidating working units in order to minimize I/O overhead, so a good CPU still helps. Unfortunately, few application benchmarks ever bother including compilation times nowadays.

Is there any thing about either Skylake or Haswell architectures that favour one over the other for I/O or compilation overhead? Because barring a distinctive factor, I'll just give gaming performance priority and get the 5775C or 6700K whenever the early adopter premium goes away.

I recently just upgraded from an even older system than you. I went from a Core 2 Quad Q6600 on a P35 based motherboard to a Skylake 6700K on a Z170 based board. Similar to you, I play games and I also work in Unreal Engine. I considered going with a Z97 board and either a Haswell or Broadwell chip but decided on Skylake for the following reasons:

• There is a reasonable chance that Kaby Lake and maybe Cannon Lake will be socket 1151 so I might have future CPU upgrade options if I need/want them

• DDR4 has more bandwidth than DDR3 (at the cost of latency) with a very little price increase.

• DDR4 will likely see a price drop and a size increase in the coming year, so I can upgrade to 32 or 64GB if I want to

• Z170 motherboards had more of the features I wanted (more PCI-e 3.0 lanes, more M.2 slots, etc)
    The 6700k and the 5775c are fairly close in most benchmarks when running at the same clockspeeds, but the 6700k is clocked higher stock and can be had for cheaper if you can find it at MSRP (which I did)

As far as your I/O question goes, Skylake uses a DMI 3.0 interface between the CPU and the motherboard's PCH chip, which is more or less PCI-e 4x 3.0, vs. Haswell and Broadwell's DMI 2.0 (PCI-e 4x 2.0). So there are some significant gains there.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

DX12 currently uses a max of 6 threads. Vulkan not known yet, but in its ARM incarnations it uses every thread possible.

Also on Windows/x86-64 as shown here, it's at least capable of using 16 threads:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Jan posted:

Unfortunately, few application benchmarks ever bother including compilation times nowadays.

Tech Report's review tested GCC compiling the Qt SDK. The 6770k is ~20% faster at stock clocks, just like it is in almost everything else that's not a game.

Overclocking may wipe that advantage out, as the comparably-clocked Haswell (4790k) is much closer to the 6770k, but Broadwell C overclocking results are hard to find.

Theris fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 23, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Theris posted:

Overclocking may wipe that advantage out, as the comparably-clocked Haswell (4790k) is much closer to the 6770k, but Broadwell C overclocking results are hard to find.

Most places have Broadwell-C's overclocking to the 4.2-4.3 range, with some chips going up as high as 4.6. Either way, compilation work should favor Skylake. The ~10% overclock a 4790k is capable of is barely enough to catch even a stock 6700k, which itself can usually overclock another ~10%. It's not an enormous difference, but it's there.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

DrDork posted:

Most places have Broadwell-C's overclocking to the 4.2-4.3 range, with some chips going up as high as 4.6. Either way, compilation work should favor Skylake. The ~10% overclock a 4790k is capable of is barely enough to catch even a stock 6700k, which itself can usually overclock another ~10%. It's not an enormous difference, but it's there.

My 6700k chip will do 4.6Ghz just using the Asus easy over clock. I haven't had a chance to see if I can push it farther. Not sure if that is average or not.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
are games gonna get any use out of more than 4cores? the asrock x99 itx is tempting since the 6700k is nearly as expensive as the 5820k (if not more)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cities: Skylines already does, unless you mean games that don't run several dozen simulations at a time.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Malcolm XML posted:

are games gonna get any use out of more than 4cores? the asrock x99 itx is tempting since the 6700k is nearly as expensive as the 5820k (if not more)

Just stay away from the super compact mini-itx cases, since you'll need a good cooler on that processor.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just stay away from the super compact mini-itx cases, since you'll need a good cooler on that processor.

Isn't that specific motherboard bundled with a loud but compact server-style cooler?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Malcolm XML posted:

Some games like Cities Skylines, BF4, GTA V, Arma 3, TW:3 and some others, probably more and more games going forward since console games are becoming more and more heavily threaded. If you are going to use a 5820k you really want to overclock it and it will need good cooling for that so the 6700k is still cheaper by ~$60 assuming you spend ~$30 on a cooler for the 6700k and ~$90 on a better one for the 5820k.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There's the silver lining of Kaby Lake-C or Cannonlake-C possibly existing as well

Chase that dragon!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Some games like Cities Skylines, BF4, GTA V, Arma 3, TW:3 and some others, probably more and more games going forward since console games are becoming more and more heavily threaded. If you are going to use a 5820k you really want to overclock it and it will need good cooling for that so the 6700k is still cheaper by ~$60 assuming you spend ~$30 on a cooler for the 6700k and ~$90 on a better one for the 5820k.

To add to this, even though the PS4 and XBone have 8 cores, games are not allowed to use all of them (a core or 2 are reserved for the OS and other functions) and they are significantly slower than any high end Intel chip currently being sold.

I think we will see more games using more than 4 cores in the future, but it will probably be several years before it makes any real difference. It's probably a better idea to buy an i5 or even an i7 now and upgrade to an E chip at a later date when it is actually useful.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Lowen SoDium posted:

To add to this, even though the PS4 and XBone have 8 cores, games are not allowed to use all of them (a core or 2 are reserved for the OS and other functions) and they are significantly slower than any high end Intel chip currently being sold.

I think we will see more games using more than 4 cores in the future, but it will probably be several years before it makes any real difference. It's probably a better idea to buy an i5 or even an i7 now and upgrade to an E chip at a later date when it is actually useful.

Ehhh, The Witcher 3 actually gains an extra 10%-20% FPS going from an i5 to an i7 at the same clocks, if that sort of thing becomes common with high end games I think an i7 is worth it already, especially if it puts your minimum frame rate above 60 consistently.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

id be choosing the same cooler for both, a 240mm asetek from corsair w/ the narrow ilm kit

yeah they bundle a hairdryer server fan with it

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
6700k in stock at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...19117559&cm_sp=

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lowen SoDium posted:

My 6700k chip will do 4.6Ghz just using the Asus easy over clock. I haven't had a chance to see if I can push it farther. Not sure if that is average or not.

That's pretty good unless you de-lid the chip. Skylake is like the pre Devil's Canyon Haswells, where it's super thermally limited because of the paste used under the heat spreader, and too much adhesive leading to excessive gap between heatspeader and core.

Most of the results I saw showed de-lidding the chip lead to something like a 20 degree temperature drop under load when OCed.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Gwaihir posted:

That's pretty good unless you de-lid the chip. Skylake is like the pre Devil's Canyon Haswells, where it's super thermally limited because of the paste used under the heat spreader, and too much adhesive leading to excessive gap between heatspeader and core.

Most of the results I saw showed de-lidding the chip lead to something like a 20 degree temperature drop under load when OCed.

I did not delid, but I am using a closed loop water cooler.

I may try deliding in the future once I have more time.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Lowen SoDium posted:

I did not delid, but I am using a closed loop water cooler.

I may try deliding in the future once I have more time.

I too will eventually delid once the custom retention brackets are in stock for the 6700k.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dammit. Literally one week after I do my new build, this stupid thing is back in stock. Now to try and sell an i5 skylake. GRRR

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

redeyes posted:

Dammit. Literally one week after I do my new build, this stupid thing is back in stock. Now to try and sell an i5 skylake. GRRR

You're not still in the return window after a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

Just take your free overclock to 4.2 and hold on to the extra cash in case Kaby Lake does something neat.