Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

I wonder, did Quiet fall in love with "Big Boss" or Venom Snake specifically?

She fell in love with Ddog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
How the hell would Quiet ever find out that Vnom Snake isn't the real Big Boss? Ocelot even says, "She fell in love with the legend." I think that means Big Boss.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Quiet is NOT you self-insert character's videogame waifu, like everyone else in MGS, she's in love with John AKA Big Boss

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Are the mods to bring Quiet back safe to use? Wouldn't want to get booted from my Steam account.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

How the hell would Quiet ever find out that Vnom Snake isn't the real Big Boss? Ocelot even says, "She fell in love with the legend." I think that means Big Boss.

She falls in love with Venom Snake. she probably does think you are Big Boss though, she fells in love because you beat her up and did cool poo poo like shoot at people together, just like how Ocelot fell in love with Naked Snake after he beat Ocelot up

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Buschmaki posted:

When she shows up at the hospital at the beginning, she says that the man in the bed next to the target saw her. Her target is Big Boss and Venom is the one who saw her. She then prepares to kill Venom because he's a witness, getting a good look at the post-surgery features and the horn of shrapnel protruding from his head before Big Boss jumps on her and ultimately lights her up.

When she later runs into a Big Boss with a horn of shrapnel and surgery scars, it seems logical that she would realize that Venom is a fake Big Boss.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I don't think that makes sense, because she tries to kill you after the surgery and Ishmael's face is all wrapped up. You could make the argument that she meant Ishmael was the witness and she was going to kill him after drowning Venom.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Like, I think a highly-trained covert assassin would try to kill Big Boss first instead of some random dude, and that backfires because you are some random dude and the real Big Boss lights her on fire.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Buschmaki posted:

I don't think that makes sense, because she tries to kill you after the surgery and Ishmael's face is all wrapped up. You could make the argument that she meant Ishmael was the witness and she was going to kill him after drowning Venom.

I think she knew which bed the real BB was supposed to be in. Otherwise her mission makes no sense.

edit: ^ yeah that makes sense but doesn't fit with her dialogue at all.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I understood it to be that she thought Ahab was the target and Ismael the one who saw her. Ahab is pretty clearly incapable of fighting back so prioritizing Ishmael is the smarter thing to do. Also, if Ahab was supposed to be Big Boss and she knew which bed "Big Boss" was in then Ahab was the one she came to kill. She knows what Big Boss looks like and a patient with a fully covered face wouldn't be who she's looking for.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This game is like the Mona Lisa, we'll be debating what the small details mean for decades. It truly is Kojima's masterpiece.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Buschmaki posted:

Like, I think a highly-trained covert assassin would try to kill Big Boss first instead of some random dude, and that backfires because you are some random dude and the real Big Boss lights her on fire.

Her exchange with whoever she was speaking to on the radio suggests that she was ordered to kill Venom for spotting her.

Quiet: *receives a message* Not yet. The patient in the next bed saw my face... *listens to a response* Of course. Consider it done. *immediately tries to kill Venom*

This is after she killed the nurse and the doctor, suggesting she was killing everyone who might see her and ensuring there were no witnesses.

I'd also say that, assuming Big Boss is lying in the bed one over, the curtain would prevent him from seeing anything. Maybe he was poking his little head out, I dunno. But it seems like we as Venom clearly got a look at Quiet's face, so it makes most sense for her comment to be about us.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 23, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
She was only trying to kill Ahab because he had seen her face, she says that right before approaching your bed. I think she was there to kill Ishmael but he was hiding under his bed or something.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
and I think that she knew as part of her mission intel that BB was in the right bed (from facing both beds). The crucial piece of information that is missing is that "V has come to" meant Venom woke up and not BB. She was expecting BB to be in the state that she found Venom in, barely functional. He was able to get the jump on her because he had had an extra few weeks of recuperation.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think the only reason he did the bed switch was to troll the player by making them play the tutorial again with no differences beside the opening and closing cutscene(I consider everything before BB gets you to start moving basically an interactive cutscene since you have no meaningful control of the character) as the ultimate final mission.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
http://ingsoc.org/

the troll continues. lol.

now it has the numbers from the PT radio and reddit think kojima is dropping twitter hints regarding the colour of the sky in a photo he tweeted.

i have to wonder how many people will become mentally broken from all this, the true phantom pain.

the numbers go to this page http://ingsoc.org/204863.html which has msx tape at the top linking to portira (which has been confirmed to be the two msx tapes in gz and tpp)

wait poo poo gently caress now im starting to believe this loving bullshit someone slap me.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 23, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeverBeGameOver/comments/3m2ch8/ingsoc_website_updates_and_hints_from_kojima_and/

quote:

"So now the mystery thickens. Kojima is definitely leaving the paper trails and clues on Twitter I believe as he posted this a couple of days ago. https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/643052837669199872
Notice how Kojima spells the word sick with four I's? Now if you go on Ground Zeroes and play mission 4, which was featured heavily as the TGS demo back in the day there are striking things hidden in the mission which I'll list here: 1. The sky is the same as what Kojima tweeted 2. This is the mission with the classified Intel tape that has been converted into an MSX boot file. 3. Each of the three prisoners says different things relating to pain and thanks. 4. Both the Bald Soldier and Agent are labelled uniquely when extracted. 5. The Agents hidden recording tape also has the dial up effect at the start of the tape similar to the classified Intel tape. 6. The information from Skull face bears a striking resemblance to how we're all feeling about the end of the game and tells us not to give up hope."

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kojima playing along with any ARGs about new story content is entirely thematically correct because wishing your favorite game series had more content coming after the final chapter is totally a YOUR PHANTOM PAIN move to pull.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Maybe Kojima just likes sunsets

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
People managed to turn "Goodbye sausage" into a major hint to a plot point that didn't actually happen, so maybe we're reading a little too much into Kojima's twitter account.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I wanna believe, Kojima. I really want to believe.

But I'm also completely skeptical that Konami would ever do anything even close to this madness.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Maybe Kojima just likes sunsets

NO! THERE IS MEANING! JUST LOOK AT THE WAY THE CLOUDS ARE FORMED BRB TAKING MY MEDS.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I wanna believe, Kojima. I really want to believe.

But I'm also completely skeptical that Konami would ever do anything even close to this madness.

while true, also remember moby dick studios and the whole fakeness about that and while i never played it, reading about the poo poo you have to do to just to complete P.T and finding out what that was all about is crazy too.

also while we're on moby dick and the themes of moby dick in TPP, the original book release of Moby Dick was missing its epilogue that it now has... :tinfoil: (i dont know how true that because i dont know the history of moby dick book releases like people on reddit seem to)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I think the only reason he did the bed switch was to troll the player by making them play the tutorial again with no differences beside the opening and closing cutscene(I consider everything before BB gets you to start moving basically an interactive cutscene since you have no meaningful control of the character) as the ultimate final mission.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bed switch".

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Snak posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "bed switch".

Just the twist being that the bed you thought BB was in is actually switched around from what it makes you think initially, It was bad wording on my part, I had a long day at work.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just the twist being that the bed you thought BB was in is actually switched around from what it makes you think initially, It was bad wording on my part, I had a long day at work.

I mean kinda, but I suspected/assumed the twist the first time through also...

Literally the only thing that works to dissuade the player from the obviously heavily hinted at twist is that the game is so long and after 100 hours of being told that you are big boss, I just started to wonder if the beginning was loving with me because I'm a conspiracy theorist. Got to the end, nope I was right all along.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Was there any reason why Kojima et al. were hyping 9/11? I thought the ingsoc site had nothing to do with MGS and was just a fan project. Just curious if there was something I missed.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
They didn't want us to forget.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, is that final conversation between Ocelot and Miller really not available as a tape? The only way for me to hear it again is to replay all of mission 46? gently caress that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just beat Mission 46. :stare:

Also, did anyone catch the True Grit reference with the snakebite at the end of Mission 45?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

the truth posted:

Was there any reason why Kojima et al. were hyping 9/11? I thought the ingsoc site had nothing to do with MGS and was just a fan project. Just curious if there was something I missed.

Kojima et al. never hyped 9/11. There was a single picture tweet from Kojima from BEFORE ingsoc surfaced in which he was listening to song #9 out of 11 on David Bowie's Diamond Dogs album on his phone, and people are stupid so they assumed he was dropping hints at ingsoc's existence.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Kojima et al. never hyped 9/11. There was a single picture tweet from Kojima from BEFORE ingsoc surfaced in which he was listening to song #9 out of 11 on David Bowie's Diamond Dogs album on his phone, and people are stupid so they assumed he was dropping hints at ingsoc's existence.

the 9/11 stuff was in the mission 51 thing from the bonus disc. it ends wtih a picture of the twin towers in the new york skyline with eli shouting its not over yet. which was really weird, and the ingsoc site seemingly lucked out by having a timer that was set up from back in march or something (people checked the code out and all that) that was going to end on 9/11 and just rolled with it.

when the bowie playlist thing happened peoples minds broke.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well Liquid did 9/11 in MGS2, basically. That's all it's a reference to.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

MGSV didn't play out the way I wrote it in my head so I'm gonna lose my goddamn mind trying to warp reality to keep my fanfics alive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Famous game developer Hideo Kojima passed away in his sleep today at the age of 103, surrounded by his loved ones."

Guys, I'm convinced. This is Kojima's biggest troll yet. This is his FAKE. He hinted at it. This is the Venom Kojima and now the real one will appear and create Metal Gear Solid V: Outer Heaven. It's right there in the article. He died and where do people go when they die? Heaven. So right now he's outside heaven... and surrounded by his loved ones? Just like Big Boss is surrounded by soldiers. It's airtight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Quiet looked at me and the game crashed.

Could this unlock Chapter 3?????

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ImpAtom posted:

"Famous game developer Hideo Kojima passed away in his sleep today at the age of 103, surrounded by his loved ones."

Guys, I'm convinced. This is Kojima's biggest troll yet. This is his FAKE. He hinted at it. This is the Venom Kojima and now the real one will appear and create Metal Gear Solid V: Outer Heaven. It's right there in the article. He died and where do people go when they die? Heaven. So right now he's outside heaven... and surrounded by his loved ones? Just like Big Boss is surrounded by soldiers. It's airtight.

MGSV was just a diversion while he was working on the real MGS5

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yes, I am sure the same website that already got publicly outed as being a fake, including the person who made the site admitting it was fake and just an "homage" to Kojima to draw attention for his lovely indie horror game, is actually real this time.

Very convenient how they have a site linking to an msx tape of Portira a week after the people decoding the tapes found a reference to it. All they are doing is playing into a bunch of desperate peoples' confirmation bias by reading the conspiracy threads and putting stuff on a fake website that seems to support it. Jesus Christ, guys.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yes, I am sure the same website that already got publicly outed as being a fake, including the person who made the site admitting it was fake and just an "homage" to Kojima to draw attention for his lovely indie horror game, is actually real this time.

Very convenient how they have a site linking to an msx tape of Portira a week after the people decoding the tapes found a reference to it. All they are doing is playing into a bunch of desperate peoples' confirmation bias by reading the conspiracy threads and putting stuff on a fake website that seems to support it. Jesus Christ, guys.

Or, it's just people having fun while dealing with the phantom pain of a void where the last few ingredients of the potential Greatest Game Ever were supposed to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

This just reminds me of Peter Molyneux with the first Fable.

• Locked thread