Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

Guys, what is your most anticipated movie, and why is it The Martian Sicario?
Cuz Emily Blunt rulez and Benicio could get nominated for an Oscar for reciting mac & cheese instructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Guys, what is your most anticipated movie, and why is is The Martian?

I just discovered the Ares Live youtube channel.

Because Space.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Because it's basically tons of the "we need to bodge this/gently caress this/unfuck this/be steely eyed missile men" stuff from Apollo 13, and that's what I want from a fairly hard sci-fi movie, not transdimensional existential bollocks from people who don't seem to realize they're not Stanley Kubrick.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Because it's basically tons of the "we need to bodge this/gently caress this/unfuck this/be steely eyed missile men" stuff from Apollo 13, and that's what I want from a fairly hard sci-fi movie, not transdimensional existential bollocks from people who don't seem to realize they're not Stanley Kubrick.

:colbert:

Don't you DARE diss Interstellar like that.

:qq::qq:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CommieGIR posted:

Agreed, I love Interstellar so much but someone pointed out the overacting from MM and now I cant unsee it the 5 times I watched it after that :(

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

I preferred to look on it as a tribute to 2001... But it was definitely heavily loving influenced.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Raluek posted:

You can't guess by the AR15 bolt face in his avatar? I thought that would be a dead giveaway what his conservative-leaning main issue might be.
Andy is holding a gun, too.

But yes, guns are it.

The religious right wants a theocracy.
The left can be summed up as "tax, spend, ban, repeat"

Neither side knows how to admit "what works for me may not be what you want"

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

InitialDave posted:

:agreed:

The Martian was a kick rear end book and I can't wait for the movie.

In a random conversation with a friend today he said to me: "Anything awesome is going to be miserable at some point. Either it'll hurt, or you'll be cold, or whatever makes you not want to do it. It's those hardships that make the thing awesome, not the act itself."

:psyboom:
It's one of those things you know but you don't realize until someone points it out to you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Oh my god Rhyno look at the reviews for this place:

Old West Comics and Games

http://maps.google.com/?cid=16499544654449433639&hl=en&gl=us

"Female"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

I preferred to look on it as a tribute to 2001... But it was definitely heavily loving influenced.

That's pretty much the only way I could convince myself to like it. It's a fantastic love letter to 2001. But at the end of the day I'd just prefer to rewatch 2001.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

It's poo poo mate. Annoying characters making stupid decisions Against A Backdrop Of A World Gone Mad. Made me mainly think of some of Stephen Baxter's more irritating traits in his writing without as many positives.

ilkhan posted:

From someone in a country where an awful lot of these rights have been removed, you are entirely correct to fight hard for your right to own a firearm, your right to access public land and so on and so forth. You are not being a paraoind nutter to do so. These are things that can very easily be lost.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Andy is holding a gun, too.

But yes, guns are it.

The religious right wants a theocracy.
The left can be summed up as "tax, spend, ban, repeat"

This is a stupid plan. Are you serious? Let the GOP run the country into the dirt?

You realize the major spending issues are directly tied to GOP overspending and warhawking for 10 loving years, right? How the gently caress is that a good system?

InitialDave posted:

From someone in a country where an awful lot of these rights have been removed, you are entirely correct to fight hard for your right to own a firearm, your right to access public land and so on and so forth. You are not being a paraoind nutter to do so. These are things that can very easily be lost.

As someone who is in the military and loves firearms: If the Government decided to come take your firearms, they would. They'd win. The second amendment is not going to stop that. We do not live in the age of Napoleonic tactics where anybody can go raise a small revolutionary group and expect to fight their government.

Its also not a good reason to ignore the ENTIRETY of the GOP's massive bullshit that is basically summed up as:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 23, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Oh my god Rhyno look at the reviews for this place:

Old West Comics and Games

http://maps.google.com/?cid=16499544654449433639&hl=en&gl=us

"Female"

Ugh. I have like 11 regulars who talk like that. I wish they'd all die.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

As someone who is in the military and loves firearms: If the Government decided to come take your firearms, they would. They'd win. The second amendment is not going to stop that. We do not live in the age of Napoleonic tactics where anybody can go raise a small revolutionary group and expect to fight their government.
I don't mean run down the street in your TACTICAL BRAH gear yelling "MOLON LABE MOTHERFUCKERS", I just mean that to sit there thinking "eh, they won't take this stuff away" is woefully naive, and you should definitely make your voice heard to your local government representatives and whoever.

I was allowed a handgun. Now I am not.

I was allowed access to many miles of public rights of way with decades of precedence. Now I am not.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

This is a stupid plan. Are you serious? Let the GOP run the country into the dirt?

You realize the major spending issues are directly tied to GOP overspending and warhawking for 10 loving years, right? How the gently caress is that a good system?

Its also not a good reason to ignore the ENTIRETY of the GOP's massive bullshit that is basically summed up as:

:ssh: single issue voters only care about their pet issue, as long as he can have his guns and do as he sees fit with them without anyone telling him no none of that other stuff matters.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I don't mean run down the street in your TACTICAL BRAH gear yelling "MOLON LABE MOTHERFUCKERS", I just mean that to sit there thinking "eh, they won't take this stuff away" is woefully naive, and you should definitely make your voice heard to your local government representatives and whoever.

They'd have to amend the constitution to take it away. The SCOTUS has already agreed and said as much.

And almost the entirety of 'THEY'RE COMIN' TO TAKE OUR GUNS!' poo poo is not even a real issue, its propaganda pushed by groups like the NRA who have actively done all they can do to try to undermine a sitting US president. There is no legitimacy in voting for GOP to protect your gun rights. It is not based on any reality.

InitialDave posted:

I was allowed access to many miles of public rights of way with decades of precedence. Now I am not.

So lets burn down the country, kill healthcare, ruin the environment, destroy infrastructure, undermine National Defense and Security, crash our budget, destroy public education...

Because MAH GUNS! And even better since the constant fearmongering over firearms seizures is not even actually happening.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 23, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Then don't vote for them. Vote for someone else and tell them the issues you want addressed. Just don't rely on the fact that they are not constitutionally able to take away all your rights to own firearms to mean that they can't take away some that matter to you, or add inane restrictions.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

InitialDave posted:

Two dozen kindergarteners got mowed down and nothing happened.

Think about that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Then don't vote for them. Vote for someone else and tell them the issues you want addressed. Just don't rely on the fact that they are not constitutionally able to take away all your rights to own firearms to mean that they can't take away some that matter to you, or add inane restrictions.

Its not a real concern. Its a manufactured concern. Its a political mudslinging game backed by manufacturers who are enjoying every minutes of it thanks to sales boosts.

Phone posted:

Think about that.

This. Guns are not going anywhere. Voting GOP to protect your guns is extremely narrow sighted and particularly disturbing if you are voting only based on this issue while at the same time ignoring that the massive spending wasn't even under a Democrat, but a GOP president and 10 years of endless war.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Phone posted:

Think about that.

Yeah, init dave you're Aussie, right?

Remember that when y'all had a mass shooting and your people came together and said, 'hm, let's take sensible action to make sure children aren't murdered?'

Now remember that your country has something approaching a less than barbaric approach to mental, hell, healthcare in general.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CommieGIR posted:

They do. But its not a good tradeoff reason to vote GOP to protect your guns while at the same time also voting for their outright disastrous policies regarding everything else under the sun.

That should be called voting for a government you need to defend yourself from.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A sitting congresswoman (with an actual astronaut for a husband) was shot in the face and nothing happened.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

Think about that.
The NRA's solution was to arm teachers. I know a great many teachers whose students are on free or reduced lunch, whose parents don't really gaf about their education, and fights break out so often that there are 3 specialty teachers on hand to deal with problem students. Every one of those teachers gave an instant, knee-jerk "gently caress no" response to "do you think arming teachers is a good idea."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Tell that to the Viet Cong, Hamas, ISIS, and the Taliban. Asymmetric Warfare is a thing and it's pretty shameful that someone in the military isn't familiar with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Its not a real concern. Its a manufactured concern. Its a political mudslinging game backed by manufacturers who are enjoying every minutes of it thanks to sales boosts.
If you are certain about that, then fine, continue to educate people as to that being the case. I don't know enough about American politics to disagree.

But understand that I am quite sore about the fact that exactly this thing has happened here.

SuperDucky posted:

Yeah, init dave you're Aussie, right?

Remember that when y'all had a mass shooting and your people came together and said, 'hm, let's take sensible action to make sure children aren't murdered?'

Now remember that your country has something approaching a less than barbaric approach to mental, hell, healthcare in general.
British. And while your argument works just as well for here, I still disagree with it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Phone posted:

Phone posted:

A sitting congresswoman (with an actual astronaut for a husband) was shot in the face and nothing happened.

Cost of living in a free society :911:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pham Nuwen posted:

Tell that to the Viet Cong, Hamas, ISIS, and the Taliban. Asymmetric Warfare is a thing and it's pretty shameful that someone in the military isn't familiar with it.

Viet Cong? The US destabilized a (somewhat) sovereign government
Hamas? The US had a role in destabilizing regional controls and governments
ISIS? The US sure as poo poo have been destabilizing the gently caress out sovereign governments
Taliban? The US armed some motherfuckers to destabilize a sovereign government

I see a recurring pattern...

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

This. Guns are not going anywhere. Voting GOP to protect your guns is extremely narrow sighted and particularly disturbing if you are voting only based on this issue while at the same time ignoring that the massive spending wasn't even under a Democrat, but a GOP president and 10 years of endless war.

Shut. The gently caress. Up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

None of those groups were facing a trained and respectable force. The Taliban is still largely broken, they only hit forces they know they can win against.

ISIS is largely unchallenged, the Iraqi Army was the only thing they had to face, and it was STILL in tatters when we left.

The Viet Cong BARGAINED their way to victory. They negotiated a ceasefire, waited till US ground forces left, and then steamrolled an under prepared South Vietnam..... Kinda like ISIS! But the North Vietnamese also had the logistical backing of the Chinese and Russians

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Edit: Never mind I'm not joining this shitstorm.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 23, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ozmiander posted:

Shut. The gently caress. Up.

No. Because I've loving had it with "I vote GOP to protect my right to guns" motherfuckers who vote straight GOP and then let us get thrown to the loving Wolves as the GOP let's their corporate friends steamroll the State.

Kansas and Wisconsin are in pretty lovely shape, Georgia hasn't ended up that way because corporations have fought Deal tooth and nail.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

No. Because I've loving had it with "I vote GOP to protect my right to guns" motherfuckers who vote straight GOP and then let us get thrown to the loving Wolves as the GOP let's their corporate friends steamroll the State.

Kansas and Wisconsin are in pretty lovely shape, Georgia hasn't ended up that way because corporations have fought Deal tooth and nail.

You're being a small minded moron, JUST LIKE THE PEOPLE YOU'RE CRYING ABOUT. So shut the gently caress up or go to a motherfucking political discussion forum where they care about people who foam at the mouth against one party when the others do the same poo poo with different colors.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

As somebody who inherited his grandfather's old hunting rifle but generally has zero interest in guns can somebody explain the motivation behind having something more substantive like a handgun or semi automatic weapon? I can't really comprehend any real world situation where you could use those and you can always rent them at those firing ranges.

Primarily, you can't rent either out at the old gravel quarry where no old farts bitch at you for shooting too fast.

Theoretically you could carry it for self defense in the case of a pistol but there's so many restrictions I never bothered.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

1500quidporsche posted:

As somebody who inherited his grandfather's old hunting rifle but generally has zero interest in guns can somebody explain the motivation behind having something more substantive like a handgun or semi automatic weapon? I can't really comprehend any real world situation where you could use those and you can always rent them at those firing ranges.
For me, as in my own personal opinion, and not indicative of how others think, I just think guns are cool/fun bits of machinery, in the same way I like cars, or bikes, or other industrial... Stuff. And shooting at things is, well, fun.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

For me, as in my own personal opinion, and not indicative of how others think, I just think guns are cool/fun bits of machinery, in the same way I like cars, or bikes, or other industrial... Stuff. And shooting at things is, well, fun.

It IS fun. No reason to vote GOP ticket.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Phone posted:

Think about that.
And nothing happened precisely BECAUSE of single issue voters.
I already said I dislike a lot of the rest of the GOP policy. But the left wants desperately to disarm the citizens. "It won't happen here" is the most naive thing a person can say. The first goal of EVERY dictator is to remove guns from the hands of their prey, and you don't get them back.

If the cost of avoiding the next Stalin, Mao, Hitler, or Pol Pot level purge is 2 dozen kindergartners a year than its well worth it, despite how cold-hearted that sounds.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ilkhan posted:

I already said I dislike a lot of the rest of the GOP policy. But the left wants desperately to disarm the citizens. "It won't happen here" is the most naive thing a person can say. The first goal of EVERY dictator is to remove guns from the hands of their prey, and you don't get them back.

If the cost of avoiding the next Stalin, Mao, Hitler, or Pol Pot level purge is 2 dozen kindergartners a year than its well worth it, despite how cold-hearted that sounds.

Source your quotes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

It IS fun. No reason to vote GOP ticket.
Please stop saying this in response to me. I do not want people to vote GOP. I do not want you to vote Democrat. I would far prefer you to stop all that nonsense and resume your rightful status as a British colony, perhaps even with something approaching proportional representation in Westminister if you behave yourselves.

I am not interested in how you vote or in attempting to change that. I am saying it is not paranoid to be vigilant in guarding the rights you enjoy from being restricted or rescinded. Unless it's your right not to be a British colony, in which case don't worry, it's all good, the red costumes are just to entertain the kiddies, nothing to see here.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

You're a loving retard, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Well, 14" does manage to not get probated repeatedly for shitposting.

So, hey, you've got a pretty low bar to meet.

I try and keep my poo poo posting limited to only the threads I'm posting in

• Locked thread