Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Honestly what bothers me more is how much the AI does come to my aid. You can use a shared rival + royal marriage to make France/Castile/Austria/Poland feed you as a lot of countries. I think the AI should be more sensitive to whether or not you've done anything for them lately, possibly even keeping track of this as a ticking score. To prevent abuse, if you cancel an alliance with someone you owe favors to, it should incur a trust penalty distributed similarly to how an AE penalty would be distributed.

E.g. if you use France to take a bunch of Burgundian territory for yourself as a Dutch minor, and then you break it off with France, Austria will see you as untrustworthy and won't jump in to throw themselves on France's sword, which is what they definitely do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
That's why I was suggesting making allies more willing to white peace in general if they don't want something in the war. This should cut both ways, so you can't just use France or whomever as a bulldog to do all your fighting for you, and AI allies won't fight to the death in distant wars they don't have a stake in.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Pellisworth posted:

That's why I was suggesting making allies more willing to white peace in general if they don't want something in the war. This should cut both ways, so you can't just use France or whomever as a bulldog to do all your fighting for you, and AI allies won't fight to the death in distant wars they don't have a stake in.

France should be your bulldog, but they should own you afterwards. If France helps your little Brabant become a bigger Brabant then you should be stuck playing second fiddle to them for a while. Maybe make it so that you can pay off your alliance debt by doing things like transferring trade power.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pellisworth posted:

I was actually just ran into this last night. I was Orissa, in a colonial war with France involving South American colonies. France was allied to the Commonwealth, who had shipped ~30k men to the new world. Their war enthusiasm was just +6, so I figured it should be easy enough to peace them out. Except they had a -1000 for 'Desires Concessions Other than Gold', but also didn't want any other concessions. So literally I could do was sit around waiting for Length of War to tick up.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I tweeted a WIP picture of the reworked Random New World for anyone interested. Trade nodes are now dynamically generated along with the world instead of re-using the old new world connections. The trade node names are silly because they're placeholders from a random place name generator.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

I tweeted a WIP picture of the reworked Random New World for anyone interested. Trade nodes are now dynamically generated along with the world instead of re-using the old new world connections. The trade node names are silly because they're placeholders from a random place name generator.

Exciting! Sane (saner?) trade nodes will help a lot.

Assuming 1.14 still a fairly long ways out, hopefully you'll do a second diary on it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

Exciting! Sane (saner?) trade nodes will help a lot.

Assuming 1.14 still a fairly long ways out, hopefully you'll do a second diary on it.

When it's more finished I will. There's a lot more cool stuff coming, continents that are hooked into the edges of the map for one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wiz posted:

Chugwater has a nice ring to it. I hope it stays.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

When it's more finished I will. There's a lot more cool stuff coming, continents that are hooked into the edges of the map for one.

I'm almost as excited to make tiles for the generator as I am to play with it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wiz posted:

Very cool, it's rad that you guys are taking time out of other development to work on this.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fuligin posted:

Very cool, it's rad that you guys are taking time out of other development to work on this.

Fixing RNW has been one of my biggest ambitions since I became project lead. The old implementation simply wasn't worthy of an EU4 expansion.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wiz posted:

No, the point isn't to make you play differently but rather that AI does not need to be a stubborn jerk if the player isn't, so maybe have it act accordingly.

That might be tricky in a multiplayer game with only 2 or 3 people - one might be a belligerent greedy rear end in a top hat with others acting more rationally.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

double nine posted:

That might be tricky in a multiplayer game with only 2 or 3 people - one might be a belligerent greedy rear end in a top hat with others acting more rationally.

Obviously it would be how they behave towards that country, not globally. If you refuse to ever peace out AIs before hitting 100%, they'll do the same to you if given the chance, stuff like that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Might be good as part of trust. I notice that countries you don't wrong usually have OK trust even if you've never been allies

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Wiz posted:

Fixing RNW has been one of my biggest ambitions since I became project lead. The old implementation simply wasn't worthy of an EU4 expansion.

I have still never played with RNW enabled, I've heard it is essentially a string of islands or something akin to that. I suppose I need to try it sometimes so I can appreciate the new one being worked on.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Node posted:

I have still never played with RNW enabled, I've heard it is essentially a string of islands or something akin to that. I suppose I need to try it sometimes so I can appreciate the new one being worked on.

It creates a bunch of amorphous islands that stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the world, but that's just the start of its problems really. Basically the original RNW had entirely wrong design priorities and by the time this was realized it was too late to do anything except try to polish what was there. I've been trying to fit a fix into the schedule and finally found the time/resources without impacting the next expansion.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Node posted:

Just start a random game, put TI (?) into the console to reveal the map and take a look. It never got upgraded when the American map got updated so it generates a small number of pretty big provinces. It's (sadly) not really worth wasting a real game on in its current state.

I wanted it so bad that I've always felt a bit guilty at not enjoying what we got. Wiz is a hero for seeing it gets upgraded/improved. :)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Are there any mods that remove the "directionality" of the trade system? It seems wrong that some nodes are basically pre-destined to be incredible trade earners and others to just have the value sucked out of them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

Are there any mods that remove the "directionality" of the trade system? It seems wrong that some nodes are basically pre-destined to be incredible trade earners and others to just have the value sucked out of them.
I've always wished that source nodes (nodes that only feed out) that only feed one direction (e.g. Siam only feeds into Malacca) could pull in instead if there was criteria met. But that is just a pie in the sky dream :v:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Wiz posted:

It creates a bunch of amorphous islands that stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the world, but that's just the start of its problems really. Basically the original RNW had entirely wrong design priorities and by the time this was realized it was too late to do anything except try to polish what was there. I've been trying to fit a fix into the schedule and finally found the time/resources without impacting the next expansion.

Will RNW ever have archipelagos? That is one thing that I find adds "noise" to the map in ways that makes it look more believable.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dibujante posted:

Will RNW ever have archipelagos? That is one thing that I find adds "noise" to the map in ways that makes it look more believable.

Yes, the tile system already has a bunch and we're adding more.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

Now there's a cool alt-hist mod idea. Swap the directionality of all the trade nodes, so trade begins in the English Channel, Genoa and Venice, and spreads outward from there. Then just see what happens.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

PittTheElder posted:

Now there's a cool alt-hist mod idea. Swap the directionality of all the trade nodes, so trade begins in the English Channel, Genoa and Venice, and spreads outward from there. Then just see what happens.

That'll be crazy weird what with half the end nodes starting the game completely uncolonized. Colonial Nations in Australia, California, La Plata, and Canada will end up way richer than their overlords in no time, and Siam will be the most valuable node in the game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Gort posted:

No, even if that were possible it wouldn't work unless they redesigned the system to prevent loops from creating infinite trade value (since in the current system forwarded trade always gains value.)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I've done some thinking about the trust system since it was mentioned and it seems to me that might be a good route to tweak rivals and alliances. A common complaint is when nations you've had stellar relations with for centuries all of a sudden decide they want something of yours and rival you. A rework of the trust system would help with that issue, and if trust was a factor in allies' willingness to peace out of wars that might be a good way to tweak the sometimes bizarre all-or-nothing AI participation in wars.

If a nation trusts you a lot, they would be more willing to fight to the death in your wars and less likely to accept a separate peace. Conversely, lower trust makes nations less willing to fight for you and more ready to accept a separate peace and exit a war.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Gort posted:

Pretty sure this is impossible without a Paradox ground up rework of the trade system (i.e. not going to happen before (maybe) EUV).

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Just to mention though; using a larger AI nation is one of the things which makes several starts viable and can help smaller nations near blobs like the Ottomans survive (occasionally).

Huge committed alliances are also one of the few things in the late game which can give a human player pause.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can Sweden make ridiculous amounts of cash by pumping Production development into Dalaskogen (the Copper province with +5 goods produced)? Or is that modifier not affected much by buildings and development?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

Can Sweden make ridiculous amounts of cash by pumping Production development into Dalaskogen (the Copper province with +5 goods produced)? Or is that modifier not affected much by buildings and development?

The PE building yes

buying development there is simply additive

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Munin posted:

Just to mention though; using a larger AI nation is one of the things which makes several starts viable and can help smaller nations near blobs like the Ottomans survive (occasionally).

Yes, exactly. Killing this system would probably harm the game a lot. I think it would be better to simply make the player pay the true cost of this system :)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Please make development not affect ship building speed because it is annoying when templated ships arrive at different times.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I wouldn't mind that if the game could properly calculate building speed and prioritize quickest building when I build something out of a template. Unfortunately it doesn't so building 30 carracks as a template is a terrible idea because then like 10 of them will be a decade late because they're being built in a province with 75% autonomy and 5% unrest.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VDay posted:

I wouldn't mind that if the game could properly calculate building speed and prioritize quickest building when I build something out of a template. Unfortunately it doesn't so building 30 carracks as a template is a terrible idea because then like 10 of them will be a decade late because they're being built in a province with 75% autonomy and 5% unrest.

It's annoying that it refuses to use non-contiguous coastline to build boats via template. It makes playing non-blobby Venice pretty irritaiting

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I wish I could click a box in a province that was "build boats here yes/no" OR you could click a box in the template screen that would tell it to only build boats off of provinces with a Shipyard OR would let you click ona seazone to build the template off of, and any province with a port that exits into that sea zone will build the template.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Finally finished Foremost Servitor. The lauinch is a bitch; I had a bunch of restarts until I got a start where Bahmanis allied Jaunpur rather than Bengal, and a megawar between all the Muslim sultanates broke out. Vijay will drop their hostility once you get relations up to >75. Then you can be Hindu bros and smash up Bahmanis, grab their gold mine, and you're off to the races. I'd like to say that their help is why I left Vijay alive, but it was actually just because I'd been short on admin points until this very year. Khandesh is my vassal, and holds a bunch of poisoned Rajput cores, so I never planned to annex them.

Prioritized colonizing Indonesia, while one colonist worked his way over to South America. Westernized in 1602. Fighting all these colonial wars with the Europeans has just been extremely annoying rather than difficult, since they land troops all over the place. But I have >100k troops in each theatre, so it's just a matter of concentrating and wiping them out.

Tomorrow I try to swing this into a Sun Never Sets run too. Given that my navy is now twice the size of anyone elses, it shouldn't be a problem.

e: VVVV Quantity Ideas are a colonizers best friend. 336/457 Army Forcelimits, 286/599 Naval Forcelimits. 31 ducat surplus with triple 3 star advisors, so I could go higher.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 24, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How does that work, getting 200K troops without breaking the bank?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 24, 2015

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Riga :stare:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Looks like I was luckier than you, I even beat the euros to the Cape, guess who's earning 200+ in trade. But it will be very close for me, I am currently thinking 1790/1800 to finish it, if I even can, due to being to scared and grabbing extra land to be more powerful for dealing with the euros.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
I posted a dev diary about Horde features in the secret new expansion we're working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Please send help, CK2 has found its way into my copy of EU4.

• Locked thread