Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Stymie posted:

they're dominating because tim is more committed to triangulation and compromise than steve was

steve made quality products and success followed naturally, but not the unsustainable level of profit that tim is seeking

there is no debate that if someone came to steve with a phone design that had a huge, ugly camera wart on the back and tried to justify it with "well, people want better cameras!" that steve would have fired them on the spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

9.0.1 is out

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

cremnob posted:

no that was what u said

the only fanboys that are disillusioned are ppl like marco and the apple developer/enthusiast community that listen to his podcast and read his blog

remember marco's "apple has lost the functional high ground" post? he followed that up with this less read post http://www.marco.org/2015/07/12/climbing-back-up

here he basically admits that it all came down to discoveryd lmao. the question is how did apple go from "losing the functional high ground" to this in just 7 months? its because nothing actually changed at apple except for the mood swings of marco and the fan/developers in that community. his first post was vague because hes a bitch and because he was running into some discoveryd caused problems and feeding off the other devs on twitter posting about how their apple devices had duplicated like a million times in network settings and then turned that into a vague post. the vagueness is what let it go viral , the fact that he didnt talk about anything specific lets all the apple fan/developer dweebs project whatever annoyance or bug they're experiencing and make it into a generalized "apple software quality is declining" meme. the first ATP episode after that post he basically got destroyed by siracusa after he spent like 20 mins or w/e making his case.

go here
https://overcast.fm/+CdR7bvgo/40:18

siracusa disagrees completely and even said they were getting better lol. the funny thing is you could sense the first post was coming because on twitter he was whining about the latest app store policy drama devs cry about and other stuff. and the second post was obivously coming after seeing that gruber-phil interview where phil called marco out and said he was a big retard and was wrong. but the thing that made him write that post was because it was clear to anyone that saw that interview was how connected and plugged in to all the dumb gripes that the "apple community" talks about, it was easy to tell that marco was like "wow they actually hear us" and was impressed. you think he would make that second post and admit that it was just discoveryd otherwise? gently caress no

i dont call him a bitch for no reason. ive been on this gently caress for a while and ive got him figured out and i can tell u hes a straight up bitch

i didnt read all that but the change to discoveryd in yosemite was pretty lovely on some wifi chips for some reason. it never affected my laptop but i knew ppl whose computers were Mac (32) with Apple TV (15) in airplay. Mac (32) couldn't airplay to Apple TV (15) because Mac (32) thought it was still communicating with Apple TV (14). all 32 and 15 of those macs and apple tvs were the same two devices, but discoveryd was being a poo poo for some reason. the problem got worse the more devices you added, macs, iphones, ipads, printers, etc

i could understand this not being an issue for you if you live alone and never use airplay, but the change was going from something that worked always to something that required reconfiguration each time you wanted it to work

all this is on top of apple's eternal problems with wifi

of course his functional high ground post was about that. discoveryd and dumb things like "cartoon color os" were all people were talking about at the time

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
discoveryd was probably the biggest Apple fuckup in recent memory

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

discoveryd suited my needs exceptionally well

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

$3 quartz watch but now in metal with a battery that doesnt last years

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah, it's apples fault that the Chinese pirate literally everything, even free dev tools

:ironicat:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Mr. Apollo posted:

9.0.1 is out
I KNEW my alarm didn't go off and I wasn't just going crazy

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
wait you can jailbreak to add pressure sensor?

it's like the same idiots who complained that there's no facetime on 3gs and they wanted to jailbreak to add that functionality because using the back camera for video chat is somehow a usable thing

it also meant that they had to clone the ecid/deviceid or whatever from another iphone 4 and hack that onto the jailbroken 3gs in order for the device to be even registered, but of course that breaks a bunch of other stuff too on both phones

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

what are you talking about

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

DaNzA posted:

it's like the same idiots who complained that there's no facetime on 3gs and they wanted to jailbreak to add that functionality because using the back camera for video chat is somehow a usable thing

it also meant that they had to clone the ecid/deviceid or whatever from another iphone 4 and hack that onto the jailbroken 3gs in order for the device to be even registered, but of course that breaks a bunch of other stuff too on both phones

???

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DaNzA posted:

*clears throat* Anroid, lol.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

emoji posted:

Remember in like 2010 when it was cool to jailbreak iPhones and they had that functionality and it worked flawlessly

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

jailbreaking didnt add new sensors, no. it had random rear end software that could, e.g., allow you to download new multitouch gestures

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
yeah but the main thing about the new feature is the pressure sensing

Smythe posted:

*clears throat* Anroid, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SplzQL0eInI

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAlvzPLJpj0

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Linguica posted:

I KNEW my alarm didn't go off and I wasn't just going crazy
i have two alarms and use a digital clock dock

i had a thing where if either one went off, the time would freeze at the alarm time, and the screen would stay on

the clock in the dock would continue to update so it wasn't a really big deal

hoping this resolves that though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zen death robot posted:

You just like stealing poo poo, don't try to make it sound like some act of rebellion against your oppressors.

i dont like stealing poo poo, i just dont like paying for poo poo.

i still like what asia is doing regardless

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

DaNzA posted:

yeah but the main thing about the new feature is the pressure sensing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SplzQL0eInI

I'm the Adidas Logo in the status bar.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

yeah nz is following asia's cratering economy pretty well

":qq::qq:crapple raised the price of their iphone 6s plus 128gb to 1800NZD:qq::qq:"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

echinopsis posted:

asian pirates often charge money for the stuff they sell to either complicit or ignorant consumers though?

the asian pirate thing really isn't a robin hood scenario. it's just another middleman and you pay slightly less of your big corporation money to them, instead of to the corporation who legitimately made and supports the product

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

"i love the guys who sell meat out of their trucks. really love what they're doing, heh. i'm smart for buying from them"

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i'll have you know south east asia is the place to be for maritime piracy now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DaNzA posted:

yeah nz is following asia's cratering economy pretty well

":qq::qq:crapple raised the price of their iphone 6s plus 128gb to 1800NZD:qq::qq:"

given how poo poo our economy is, and the high price of living and skyrocketing rents.. the higher price of the iphone, its not like it a "minor inconvenience" lol

when i got the iphone 4 from apple.com it was $600 but now the cheapest iphone on the apple website is $800nzd

that crosses a line imo as far as money worth spending on a phone. $800 is too much for a mother fuckin piece of phone

Kenny Logins posted:

"i love the guys who sell meat out of their trucks. really love what they're doing, heh. i'm smart for buying from them"

you wouldnt steal a cow

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Kenny Logins posted:

asian pirates often charge money for the stuff they sell to either complicit or ignorant consumers though?

the asian pirate thing really isn't a robin hood scenario. it's just another middleman and you pay slightly less of your big corporation money to them, instead of to the corporation who legitimately made and supports the product

you understand that Xcode is free, right? no money, just download it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Stymie posted:

you must not have had an iphone 4s with ios 5 which is the best phone and will remain so for the forseeable future

no i did. iti wans nto as good as my iphoen 5 or this bespokek iphone 6 with ios9.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The Management posted:

you understand that Xcode is free, right? no money, just download it.
good point but echi was clearly talking about things he doesn't want to pay for from big corporations and I was speaking to that

still, important to remember

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

no i did. iti wans nto as good as my iphoen 5 or this bespokek iphone 6 with ios9.

i assure that it very much is

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Stymie posted:

i assure that it very much is

too smmall,,, too slowo.... too fat.... bad phoen.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

too smmall,,, too slowo.... too fat.... bad phoen.

perfectly sized, according to steve, perfect speed if you're smart enough not to add bloatware (i.e. ios 6+), sturdy contruction and does not bend with normal use

:perfect:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Stymie posted:

perfectly sized, according to steve, perfect speed if you're smart enough not to add bloatware (i.e. ios 6+), sturdy contruction and does not bend with normal use

:perfect:

hmmmm a cutally ios9 owns? and alsoo the6 andn6 s do nto bebdn with normal use unlelss normal us eofor ou is brekainig the phoen

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
*throsos phoesn against rock untilt the break*

none of these ehandsets do not shatter wilth normal use.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stux posted:

hmmmm a cutally ios9 owns? and alsoo the6 andn6 s do nto bebdn with normal use unlelss normal us eofor ou is brekainig the phoen

ios 9 does not own because it uses comic sans

you are correct, normal use should not break the phone, or bend it, which the iphone 6 does: bend with normal use

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

stop engaging stymie, you idiots

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Stymie posted:

ios 9 does not own because it uses comic sans

you are correct, normal use should not break the phone, or bend it, which the iphone 6 does: bend with normal use

soudns like u need to buy ana andorid phoen as u cllearly have a deadlyl addiction to fail.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

echinopsis posted:

given how poo poo our economy is, and the high price of living and skyrocketing rents.. the higher price of the iphone, its not like it a "minor inconvenience" lol

when i got the iphone 4 from apple.com it was $600 but now the cheapest iphone on the apple website is $800nzd

that crosses a line imo as far as money worth spending on a phone. $800 is too much for a mother fuckin piece of phone

you wouldnt steal a cow

seems like your country is poo poo and not apple I M O

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ginny Rometty has a posse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

a league of equals