Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

irlZaphod posted:

After something like 4 years of playing it on and off I'm very close to finishing Super Mario 3D Land. I think I more or less just need to run through it with Luigi, and maybe a few courses where I need to hit the top of the flagpole. There are a few courses in the Special World where I don't have all the Star coins too.
Ha...
Doing all that unlocks level Special 8-crown - no checkpoints, no powerups, jumps off and on 1-block platforms, spinners, a dual boss fight, and a giant clone section.

It's kinda like a bad ultra hardcore fan level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1bEoZrwhkY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Ha...
Doing all that unlocks level Special 8-crown - no checkpoints, no powerups, jumps off and on 1-block platforms, spinners, a dual boss fight, and a giant clone section.

It's pretty easy with the tanuki suit though.

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?

irlZaphod posted:

After something like 4 years of playing it on and off I'm very close to finishing Super Mario 3D Land. I think I more or less just need to run through it with Luigi, and maybe a few courses where I need to hit the top of the flagpole. There are a few courses in the Special World where I don't have all the Star coins too.

Now I just need to do the same for World, with all 3 non-Mario characters. :suicide:

That's the reason I don't own this game I suck at Mario games I never even managed to beat Sunshine my favorite.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Does M&L Dream Team have enough variety to last? I haven't played other games in the series and two-button combat doesn't sound like you can do much with it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Compared to Champion's Road in 3D World, Special 8-Crown in 3D Land is positively quaint.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
LBX's story is mostly a string of tournaments, but damned if it doesn't have some fun moments.

"King Crybaby now :smuggo:"

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

SelenicMartian posted:

Does M&L Dream Team have enough variety to last? I haven't played other games in the series and two-button combat doesn't sound like you can do much with it.

Dream Team, for all its other faults, has the best combat in the series. It's true that the majority of combat is "press A and B with good timing to jump over or on to an enemy when they attack" but there are so many enemy patterns to learn, a lot of which involve having to use both Mario and Luigi at the same time.

Although if I'm being honest you should really see if you can find a copy of Bowser's Inside Story if you can.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Artix posted:

Dream Team, for all its other faults, has the best combat in the series. It's true that the majority of combat is "press A and B with good timing to jump over or on to an enemy when they attack" but there are so many enemy patterns to learn, a lot of which involve having to use both Mario and Luigi at the same time.

Although if I'm being honest you should really see if you can find a copy of Bowser's Inside Story if you can.

Pretty much this. Dream Team is basically "more Bowser's Inside Story" so you should play that first if you're unsure of whether or not you'd like Dream Team because BIS is generally considered to be either the best or second best M&L game. Also if you do end up playing BIS, give yourself a month or two before jumping into Dream Team, they're really, really similar and you could very well burn out playing both one after another.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Artix posted:

I'm gonna more or less mirror this opinion. Dream Team has imo the best combat in a Mario RPG by a decent amount. It also does start using the circle pad and gyro controls in addition to A and B button presses in your special attacks which you should be doing as much as possible. The gyro controls are something you should be aware exists because some people don't like them, but I have personally no problem with them. That being said BIS is probably a better all-around game so maybe get that first.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

SelenicMartian posted:

Ha...

Doesn't look all that bad. Mostly it'd be annoying because it's long and there's no checkpoints and there's a couple jumps that suck because it's a 3D Mario game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

quote:

Coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS family systems on 20th November, Nintendo presents: New Style Boutique 2 - Fashion Forward gives players the opportunity to rise to the top of the fashion world as the manager of their very own boutique. The fun goes far beyond the shopfloor, as players can also let their creativity loose in four additional roles: Hair Stylist, Make-Up Artist, Model and Designer.

This third instalment in the fashion simulation series that has sold over 1.5 million units across Europe to date* lets budding fashionistas run their very own chic boutique in the bustling Beaumonde City, home to hundreds of colourful personalities. Characters visit the shop and describe what they’re looking for, and it’s up to the player to pick out the perfect look, choosing from 19,000 items like casual dresses, eye-catching t-shirts and those all-important accessories including bags and earrings. Make the right recommendation and the customer will leave thrilled, sure to spread the word!

On top of the thousands of in-game items with which to style customers, there are special pieces that can only be unlocked by tapping compatible amiibo during gameplay**, including Peach’s Princess Crown, Mario’s M Hat, Yoshi’s Egg Hooded Jacket and more. New items will also be available to download after the game’s launch, while regular online*** themed contests will challenge stylists to show off their very best outfits. Couture connoisseurs can even organise their own contests for other players to join – perfect for finding inspiration and comparing ensembles.

In addition to the fun shop management gameplay of previous titles, four exciting new professions await dedicated followers of fashion, with the freedom to switch between them whenever they like:

Hair Stylist and Make-Up Artist: Styling clients goes far beyond clothes, with a huge range of make-up looks to apply at the beautician’s and countless creative hairstyles to delight customers at the hair salon.

Designer: Imaginative style enthusiasts can build their very own fashion house by designing a unique clothing and accessories line. Fashion labels are always on the lookout for up-and-coming designers, and often commission new items to complement their existing collection – a great opportunity to get noticed and spread the word about the boutique.

Model: Players can also show off their sartorial savvy as a model for in-game brands, each with its own vision and needs. It’s all about pairing the right outfit with flawless hair and make-up, then bringing it all together with the perfect pose. Images from photo shoots might even appear on billboards and advertisements around the city for everyone to admire!

Lastly, a retreat from the hustle and bustle of the fashion world awaits at Caprice Chalet. Here, anyone with a taste for decorating can transform the rooms of a dollhouse into anything from a relaxing bedroom to a trendy boutique, then share them online*** or with other players met via StreetPass.

Nintendo presents: New Style Boutique 2 - Fashion Forward will be available across Europe from 20th November, exclusively for Nintendo 3DS family systems. A hardware bundle containing a white New Nintendo 3DS system with a digital copy of the game****, exclusive elegant white cover plates and a download code for a HOME Menu theme, will also launch on the same day.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Luigi's Mansion 2 is on Amazon UK for £20. Is it worth it at that price? I never played the original and can't make head nor tail of the bits I've seen on youtube.

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
I'd say no. I've really enjoyed the first one and played it a couple of times through, but for whatever reason I just couldn't get into the second one at all, and stopped playing after a few tries

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Ha...

I died at the "Thank You" part twice because I thought you had to jump across the green platforms.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Lemming posted:

I died at the "Thank You" part twice because I thought you had to jump across the green platforms.

I did that like five times. :negative:

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Flint_Paper posted:

Luigi's Mansion 2 is on Amazon UK for £20. Is it worth it at that price? I never played the original and can't make head nor tail of the bits I've seen on youtube.

I enjoyed it quite a bit despite never playing the original. King Boo has stolen the magic moon gem thing and it's broken up in to 5 pieces which makes the ghosts act all hostile. You go around as Luigi and use your weaponized vacuum to suck/blow various stage elements, solving puzzles and looking for ghosts to suck up Ghostbusters-style, in search of the gem pieces. There are 5 mansions with 5 missions each, of which you are graded 1-3 medals depending. Mostly the complaints lie with the fact that there are missions in multiple small mansions instead of one big one like in the original, but I figure that's because it's on a handheld and not a home console. Luigi is adorable in it too, scared shitless about everything but still soldiering on.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Lemming posted:

Did you know that it's possible to collide with the big blocks in the background in that section where you have to jump on two flying goombas?
:negative:
I made it to the spinners once.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hey, I got these codes with my games but Nintendo says they don't like Iceland in their cool treehouse club. Hit me up if you want em

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Great Joe posted:

Hey, I got these codes with my games but Nintendo says they don't like Iceland in their cool treehouse club. Hit me up if you want em

Ooh. I don't suppose they'd work with a UK account would they?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Nintendo started translating their games to Russian starting with this gen and whoever did Dream Team went berserk with puns. It's amazing :allears:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Flint_Paper posted:

Good especially at that price. I found it dragged toward the end but it's a lot of fun and charming

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I finally got to the point of LBX for unlocking ranking battles (I'm a slow player, all right?) and I am super psyched for some good, challenging themed battles that really require you to do the kind of tweaking of your loadout that this game caters to. Most of the story and missions and even the bosses thus far haven't required a lot more than a couple items and a couple tries to break through, but this seems like it will require a little more thoughtful play.

Never mind the card game, which I've hardly touched beyond collecting a few. I'm still not sure I understand how that thing is supposed to tie in.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The Ranking Battles you are forced to do as part of the story are basically nothing different from any other fight at that point in the game. It's the Ranking Battles that open up when you complete the story that start at moderate difficulty and ramp all the way up to "incredibly difficult even with maxed AC LBX and a min/maxed gameplan". I've actually made a couple posts on Gamefaqs detailing how I eventually tackled the hardest of the postgame Ranking Battles and the extra boss battles that open up from that, so I can link to those when it becomes pertinent to the other LBX players here.

Edit: The card game exists mostly to gate different TG colors of a lot of different LBX behind a cool concept but sorta frustratingly random drop process. I'm currently trying to get all the cards that are available and unfortunately the fastest way to do that is to immediately lose. It's a quick enough process I guess but it also makes me thing that they sorta slapped the card battles thing in at some point without really thinking the collection aspect all the way through.

You can also use Card Battles to farm for some quality weapons, but you can also get quality weapons from the MeTaMo Points Shop that unlock as you progress through the Ranking and Pro Ranking battles or even from the Ranking Battles themselves, and it's a lot quicker than farming Card Battles.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 23, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Flint_Paper posted:

Ooh. I don't suppose they'd work with a UK account would they?
Nevermind, they're expired.

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

SelenicMartian posted:

Nintendo started translating their games to Russian starting with this gen and whoever did Dream Team went berserk with puns. It's amazing :allears:

I don't speak Russian, but I am genuinely interested in hearing more about this.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Beanzor posted:

I don't speak Russian, but I am genuinely interested in hearing more about this.
The script flows nicely and instead of transliteration or generic names they actually make up new names for the locations and things to make them sound nice. I'm pretty sure they've stuffed every synonym for sleeping and snoring in the script, which also means if I even need a guide I'll have to translate it back or just guess.

Going by a wiki it seems like Nintendo tries to do it for every language they localize to. There's a section "Names in other languages"
http://www.mariowiki.com/Pi%27illo_Island

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Flint_Paper posted:

It was worth it at 40, game owns.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Flynn Taggart posted:

It was worth it at 40, game owns.

It really does, and it has the best local multiplayer of any 3DS game I've played (in particular because you only need one cart copy and you can even get online with your buddy/ies).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJDjkMjkH1g

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What sd cards work with the new 3ds?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I've used 16 and 32 GB mSDHC successfully, and i've heard that even 64+ GB work. But seriously, unless you want to install 300 games on your 3DS, 32GB will be more than enough for everything.

/edit: For what it's worth, it comes with a Toshiba 4GB micro SD, and i'm using SanDisk ones.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a 64 I use in my HTC One that I never use so I was considering that one. It takes a micro right?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

64gb ones require fancy reformating which is apparently pretty easy. 32 gigs and lower are plug in and play.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bleh yeah and I don't have a micro sd reader for my pc. Lame.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

Bleh yeah and I don't have a micro sd reader for my pc. Lame.

Well if you have some way to format the card in FAT32 (maybe via that HTC one?) you should be good to go.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I couldn't find a program to do that on android, strangely.

If I buy a new SD card do I have to do any kind of transfer nonsense or can I just re download stuff from the eshop?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Abu Dave posted:

I couldn't find a program to do that on android, strangely.

If I buy a new SD card do I have to do any kind of transfer nonsense or can I just re download stuff from the eshop?

DO A SYSTEM TRANSFER!!!!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.amazon.it/Dungeon-Travelers-Standard-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B014KYG8P2/

So either Amazon Italy got this wrong (most likely) or they've leaked a 3DS version of Dungeon Travelers 2.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Abu Dave posted:

Just copy stuff from one card to another, as long as it's the same system it's fine. You can also redownload if you prefer but you'll lose any saves from digital games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dehry posted:

http://www.amazon.it/Dungeon-Travelers-Standard-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B014KYG8P2/

So either Amazon Italy got this wrong (most likely) or they've leaked a 3DS version of Dungeon Travelers 2.

i can't imagine a localized version would be in the works before a japanese version is announced