Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

So It Goes posted:

To add to all the popular good games out, anyone who liked earthbound should play undertale and anyone who liked shovel knight should play plague of shadows as well. I don't expect either to get much coverage but they are excellent games in their own ways.

I was actually just thinking about mentioning Undertale in this thread as a descendant of Paper Mario, at least in terms of being a charming, funny small-numbers RPG with reflex-based active combat (not to mention all of the other cool stuff it's doing besides).

Undertale is fantastic and I've never been sold so hard on a game by the tutorial boss of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Bought Undertale and Dropsy this morning. Haven't had a chance to dig into Undertale yet but Dropsy is amazing. Instantly up there on my list of favorite clowns and makes me actually have fun during an adventure game.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Bought Undertale and Dropsy this morning. Haven't had a chance to dig into Undertale yet but Dropsy is amazing. Instantly up there on my list of favorite clowns and makes me actually have fun during an adventure game.

Holy poo poo the soundtrack to Dropsy is so good.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm not sure what that's supposed to do about the fact the closest Rocket League servers are 4,500 miles away.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm not sure what that's supposed to do about the fact the closest Rocket League servers are 4,500 miles away.

Complain endlessly that the closest Rocket League servers are 4,500 miles away.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Rocket League would be higher on my list if they, like so many other Western developers, gave any kind of poo poo about Asian players. Just once I'd like to play a game of Rocket League with a ping below 300.
On the plus side, you can be like all the Australians who used to play World of Warcraft on US servers (like me) and use that as an excuse for why you play so poorly.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I haven't talked about it much here but my kickstarter is ending in about 24 hours and I'd appreciate it if you guys would take a look. It's a parody of the old Worlds of Power books, written as if Dark Souls were a nintendo game named Souls of Darkness. It'll look good on y'book shelf.

https://www.duckfeed.tv/soulsofdarkness

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The clown talk on Idle Thumbs this week was really, really weird. Like, we're at a point where it's socially unacceptable to say thar clowns are scary?

I can't speak for everyone, and certainly there are people who are genuinely afraid of clowns, but in general the whole 'clowns are scary' thing has always been a sort-of joke. Like, nobody (except very young children, perhaps) actually thinks regular, good-natured clowns are scary monsters. The whole reason creepy clowns like Pennywise are effective is exactly because everyone sees clowns as entertainers, especially of children, and people who like to make others happy. So the notion of a clown that's out to get you is inherently terrifying in a way that wouldn't be if it was, say, a plumber or something.

I don't mean to start a weird tyrade or whatever, it just seems like someone who genuinely feels slighted by the consensus that clowns are creepy is missing the point somehow.

Edit: gently caress Mimes, though.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 20, 2015

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I had a kneejerk "oh gently caress off" at the start of that email, but it was pretty sweet actually. Just one dude who's tired of "lol clown is scary." Its not an argument that clowns are oppressed or anything.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

"Clowns is scary" is a loving tired meme.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

nerds don't understand when jokes become tired and unfunny? whoa

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Refering to random things as "memes" is a pretty tired meme, too, friend.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Funkmaster General posted:

Refering to random things as "memes" is a pretty tired meme, too, friend.

dank

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I would like IT to attempt to cover soma (if they aren't already):

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/21/soma-review/

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Gary: I would have gone with Atlas Plugged, though I also considered Atlas Tugged.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I've been off this month and have had time to play and complete pretty much all the new releases lately and I'm still waiting for worthwhile podcasts that talk about them. Does anyone know if someone has talked about Undertale at all? I'm also interested in SOMA discussion, but that just came out so I don't really expect anything yet. I myself finished it not that long ago. And when I say talk about, I mean in a substantive way, not the typical gaming podcast thing where someone talks about their first non-spoiler impressions of a game and never talks about it again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So It Goes posted:

I've been off this month and have had time to play and complete pretty much all the new releases lately and I'm still waiting for worthwhile podcasts that talk about them. Does anyone know if someone has talked about Undertale at all? I'm also interested in SOMA discussion, but that just came out so I don't really expect anything yet. I myself finished it not that long ago. And when I say talk about, I mean in a substantive way, not the typical gaming podcast thing where someone talks about their first non-spoiler impressions of a game and never talks about it again.

I suspect you'll hear some Undertale talk on the Beastcast this friday since Austin has finished it

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jippa posted:

I would like IT to attempt to cover soma (if they aren't already):

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/09/21/soma-review/

They discussed the live action trailers a long time ago, but don't think anything since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBCm7Pwwx3o&t=3884s

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Stan Taylor posted:

Also, a dumb thought. Since I don't really follow games press or hype, I am pretty susceptible to buying games when all the podcasts I listen to rave about them. I'm currently keeping myself from buying Mario Maker and MGSV after the past two weeks of hearing about how great they are. I used to have no problem waiting for sales! Lousy casts.

If you actually care about money buy Mario Maker now because Nintendo takes forever to reduce the price of games, and buy MGS5 next year when there's a GOTY edition with bells and whistles on for $29.99.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Retronauts guys can finally rest easy, Mega Man Legends will be hitting PSN next week and I can only assume MML2 will follow soon.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

al-azad posted:

Retronauts guys can finally rest easy, Mega Man Legends will be hitting PSN next week and I can only assume MML2 will follow soon.

I have them on disc, but 2 would play pretty nice on the Vita I'd bet. Also just realized I have like 10x the PSone classics vs almost no VC releases, despite limited nostalgia for PS1. I think I burned out on revisiting old Nintendo stuff in the late 90s-early 00s.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

al-azad posted:

The price of eternal freedom is eternal vigilance. Now the campaign begins for SaGa Frontier, Einhänder, and Kartia.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

The price of eternal freedom is eternal vigilance. Now the campaign begins for SaGa Frontier, Einhänder, and Kartia.

I have no idea what Kartia is but its inclusion next to those other two makes me think I need to look into this.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Only available via Blockbuster? :psyduck:

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

The clown talk on Idle Thumbs this week was really, really weird. Like, we're at a point where it's socially unacceptable to say thar clowns are scary?

I can't speak for everyone, and certainly there are people who are genuinely afraid of clowns, but in general the whole 'clowns are scary' thing has always been a sort-of joke. Like, nobody (except very young children, perhaps) actually thinks regular, good-natured clowns are scary monsters. The whole reason creepy clowns like Pennywise are effective is exactly because everyone sees clowns as entertainers, especially of children, and people who like to make others happy. So the notion of a clown that's out to get you is inherently terrifying in a way that wouldn't be if it was, say, a plumber or something.

I don't mean to start a weird tyrade or whatever, it just seems like someone who genuinely feels slighted by the consensus that clowns are creepy is missing the point somehow.

Edit: gently caress Mimes, though.

I don't really know if I'd call a single reader email and brief discussion around it "clown talk," it's not like someone came into the podcast with an axe to grind about clowns and we all said our piece. I just read an email that had kind of a sweet message in it because I thought it was an interesting thing to point out with a personal story. I don't know why it has to be spun out into something beyond that.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Chris Remo posted:

I don't really know if I'd call a single reader email and brief discussion around it "clown talk," it's not like someone came into the podcast with an axe to grind about clowns and we all said our piece. I just read an email that had kind of a sweet message in it because I thought it was an interesting thing to point out with a personal story. I don't know why it has to be spun out into something beyond that.

Well, there was that guy who jumped onto Nick Breckon's back a few weeks ago.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Remo posted:

it was a good e-mail and the guy you quoted made it weird

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

KoldPT posted:

Well, there was that guy who jumped onto Nick Breckon's back a few weeks ago.

"Clown talk" is just what I mentally call any time we do a podcast with Nick Breckon on it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He didn't choose the clown life, the clown life chose him.

e: completely off topic, but watching Double Fine Adventure, and Chris Remo just popping into frame after Tim left a conference room just slayed me

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 24, 2015

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Chris Remo posted:

By "clown talk" I was just referring to the email, really. And I stand by my oppinion that it was a really weird email, but that doesn't mean it wasn't interesting and worth reading.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I thought the email was a sweet anecdote about the guy's grandfather. The egg face paint thing was pretty cool. And now I'm GISing 'clown egg face'.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I thought the email was sweet because it meant my game was mentioned on my favorite podcast two shows in a row. :unsmigghh:

It reminded me of this review (though videogamer.com seems to be down temporarily I guess?) by Tom Orry wherein he wrote a page-long disclaimer detailing his family's history as circus performers, complete with pictures. Pretty fascinating stuff, though it was nearly longer than the review itself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gaspy Conana posted:

I thought the email was sweet because it meant my game was mentioned on my favorite podcast two shows in a row. :unsmigghh:

It reminded me of this review (though videogamer.com seems to be down temporarily I guess?) by Tom Orry wherein he wrote a page-long disclaimer detailing his family's history as circus performers, complete with pictures. Pretty fascinating stuff, though it was nearly longer than the review itself.
Yo, Gaspy, Giant Bomb's going to be doing a Quick Look of Dropsy pretty soon. Maybe contact Austin Walker(I'm guessing Giant Bomb East is going to be the crew doing it, as they should) and maybe see if he'd like to discuss the making of it? I was always a fan and participated in the GBS threads back before they started getting dumped on, and I feel like the evolution of Dropsy from a mere CYOA thread to actual game is an interesting one to tell, at the very least. Doesn't hurt to try, and it'll get you even more exposure, I'm sure. :)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm one of the people Chris mentions that would be able to understand the MGS story and follow it without being relatively lost or whatever on the last podcast. Also I enjoyed the "downer" of the mgs discussion as well as the emails that cut into that discussion as well because its one of the things a lot of people don't seem to realize just how common that type of stuff is in Japan. Like we can bitch about it all we want but its still our culture vs Japanese culture and its just so deeply ingrained over there with all the anime/fan service stuff.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Nic Cage chat on Abject Suffering and doing a Cage-a-thon, Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart, and Bringing Out the Dead are also legitimately good films and Drive Angry is a real stupid good time as well as being mercifully brief compared to Face/Off.

Was on my mind because one of my friends challenged me to name a good Nicolas Cage movie this past weekend and I almost poo poo a freakin' loot crate!!!

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

We posted a big, fun Retronauts about Dragon Quest today:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/a-retronauts-episode-about-dragon-quest-draws-near

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Re: Nic Cage chat on Abject Suffering and doing a Cage-a-thon, Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart, and Bringing Out the Dead are also legitimately good films and Drive Angry is a real stupid good time as well as being mercifully brief compared to Face/Off.

Was on my mind because one of my friends challenged me to name a good Nicolas Cage movie this past weekend and I almost poo poo a freakin' loot crate!!!

The Bad Lieutenant with Nic Cage was also fantastic, it even had Xzibit and fat Val Kilmer!
It was on Netflix a few years ago, I was sad when they took it down :(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listened to the Doom 2 WOFF. Pretty good intro to Doom stuff, I enjoyed it.

I think I had a few things that I wanted to comment on, but only two come to mind right now

- try Tricks and Traps on Ultra Violence. I don't think difficulty levels all that much in the stock maps, but this one's entire gimmick happens on UV

- Going Down, mentioned quickly by Gary, is by this guy

And a question - how did you guys play the game? I gathered that you used a source port, and that you didn't use vertical mouselook, but other than that?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Re: Nic Cage chat on Abject Suffering and doing a Cage-a-thon

Similarly, I know that before Screened was bought and shuttered, Alex Navarro was doing the chronology of Cage's filmography as a series of essays. He stopped in the middle for a variety of reasons, but it was a good project while it lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Listened to the Doom 2 WOFF. Pretty good intro to Doom stuff, I enjoyed it.

I think I had a few things that I wanted to comment on, but only two come to mind right now

- try Tricks and Traps on Ultra Violence. I don't think difficulty levels all that much in the stock maps, but this one's entire gimmick happens on UV

- Going Down, mentioned quickly by Gary, is by this guy

And a question - how did you guys play the game? I gathered that you used a source port, and that you didn't use vertical mouselook, but other than that?

I played the vanilla Doom 2 from Steam using WASD and arrow keys. I eventually used a source port for mods, however.

• Locked thread