Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Pillar Men were all pretty boring as character concepts, but the execution of it all made them awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I wouldn't say Cars was "Boring," but he's very, very by the numbers.

Wham and ACDC were both more interesting.

I adamantly call him boring because he does gently caress all for the entire show besides be mysteriously menacing and then when he starts doing cool stuff and becomes fun he's launched into space. ACDC I hate more because his fight is one of the most lovely shonen manga standard fights that got parodied in Buso Renkin. He has one moment to show any sort of character and then never shows it again.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Diavolo's hair is beautiful and tacky and I want it.

Kira and Valentine are the top villains with strong personalities and great fights. While the fights at Cape Canaveral are some of my favorites and it's an amazing set piece, Pucci's goal was silly and vague for like 2/3rd of the arc and while I enjoyed his backstory, I tend to forget when I look back. All his Stands were great looking though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Remember when Stone Ocean had an antagonist whose backstory was literally Holes?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some other thoughts on Stone Ocean:

I did think it was pretty funny how Jotaro's final battle against Made in Heaven was an ironic echo of his fight with Dio. Someone else has the temerity to enter his world of stopped time and dodge his spear! His chance to kill Pucci is foiled by ... a barrage of throwing knives!

It was a shame we didn't get to see more of goofy clown Jolyne. The whilst the story generally had an apocalyptic 'the final battle!' tone, Jolyne was really the first Jojo since Joseph to actually be a fuckup who got herself into ridiculous situations; the Goo Goo Dolls and Jail House Lock chapters were really fun fore that and it's a shame there wasn't more of it (though Jolyne's super hardcore fights were really good so I can't really complain too much)

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So that's the second Holes reference in the series with one of the Part 5 memebers having that origin. Arakis weird

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I look forward to the Live-Action JoJo movie starring Shia Lebouf next year

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm guessing his Stand would be "Do It Again".

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sinners Sandwich posted:

So that's the second Holes reference in the series with one of the Part 5 memebers having that origin. Arakis weird

I love that Araki apparently keeps up with American YA fiction. Part 6 was before the Holes movie came out.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Pucci is actually the best villain because his backstory is "what of Dio had more backstory"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And by backstory, you actually mean scenes of him lying around without a shirt. :v:

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And by backstory, you actually mean scenes of him lying around without a shirt. :v:

I mean, what other backstory would DIO have?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wham was literally just ken-oh

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He was Ken-Oh but more likeable

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It was a shame we didn't get to see more of goofy clown Jolyne.

Yeah, it's a bummer because Jolyne is great but you never quite get a chance to enjoy that. Jolyne is great. Stone Ocean is great. I just need to not think about the ending, that's all.

Wham is definitely interesting, possibly moreso than Cars, but I just like the idea of Cars a lot I guess. That and I like to think about Cars vs The World as a nice ultra battle. Oh, and Cars is the perfect being. The Perfect Being. ;-*

The jokes about Holes make me feel really out of touch, because I think I'm just old enough to have missed the window for that to have been school reading for me so I have no loving idea what it's about.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Some kid has a gypsy curse on his family because of his great great grandfather and is accused of stealing the shoes of his favorite athlete when they randomly fall out of the sky onto his head. He ends up at a child labor camp disguised as a juvenile delinquent center and breaks the curse by befriending the gypsy's descendant.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a book from my childhood and I love it

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I'm not surprised that Araki liked holes considering it's got even more 「GRAVITY」than part 6 did, the amount of coincidence in that plot is astounding (and intentional)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's a pretty good backstory for a Stand named Underworld that pulls physical memories from the ground.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember when Stone Ocean had an antagonist whose backstory was literally Holes?
Remember when Valentine's most formative childhood experience was almost literally the golden watch scene from Pulp Fiction?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Remember that time Josuke reenacted Speed

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Bad Seafood posted:

Remember when Valentine's most formative childhood experience was almost literally the golden watch scene from Pulp Fiction?

I kind of couldn't believe that he just redid that shot for shot. I'm all for artistic theft, believe me, but that was just... I don't know, boring? He didn't really do anything new with it to make me cool with seeing it again.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

TheKingofSprings posted:

Remember that time Josuke reenacted Speed

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Man, I hadn't even considered it, but the animated version of the Highway Star fight is going to be loving radical.

They'd better have Josuke do the Akira bike-slide, though.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is a part 4 anime confirmed yet?

http://isdiamondisunbreakableconfirmed.tumblr.com/

Oh...

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
New chapter's out http://bato.to/read/_/345190/jojos-bizarre-adventure-part-8-jojolion_v12_ch47_by_hi-wa-mata-noboru/1

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I don't believe you

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We know, it was posted like two days ago.

Get your head in the game, Vos!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

We know, it was posted like two days ago.

Get your head in the game, Vos!

nonsense we'd still be talking about it in that case

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Oh, sorry.

Stairmaster posted:

nonsense we'd still be talking about it in that case

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
"Maybe your own neighbor is a Rock Human."

I hope so. :allears:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
So we are all just assuming now that any new motherfucker that gets themselves involved with the Higshikata's is a Rock Human? Cause if so now I'm waiting for the big reveal where someone's NOT a Rock Human.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moltrey posted:

So we are all just assuming now that any new motherfucker that gets themselves involved with the Higshikata's is a Rock Human? Cause if so now I'm waiting for the big reveal where someone's NOT a Rock Human.

I dunno if this guy is a rock human, but he's definitely a weirdo

e:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm trying to recall some terrible Stands from Part 4, but I can't really think of one.

Well, unless you mean Love Deluxe, but we never see the weaknesses of that Stand.

Well there's Super Fly, which trapped its user in its physical manifestation

There's also Cheap Trick, which kills its user outright

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 24, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If Togashi appears, we'll know immediately.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well there's Super Fly, which trapped its user in its physical manifestation

There's also Cheap Trick, which kills its user outright

Oh, right. Forgot about those two.

The only other terrible Stands (for the user) I can think of off the top of my head are Survivor, Notorious B.I.G., and that suicide one from Part VI.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

that suicide one from Part VI.

I kept thinking something interesting was going to happen with that. Nope. Waste of an interesting Stand. :(

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, right. Forgot about those two.

The only other terrible Stands (for the user) I can think of off the top of my head are Survivor, Notorious B.I.G., and that suicide one from Part VI.

Notorious BIG and Highway to Hell don't actually harm their users in any way, though. You just need to die in order to make full use of their abilities. Highway to Hell can even accomplish things without the user dying if he's creative enough; compare Lovers, which had a similar ability but a user who wasn't suicidal. Even Survivor doesn't make the targets attack the user, only each other, and I assume the user chooses to use it rather than people around him killing each other automatically. Actually, if Dio had recruited Survivor's original user and sent him after the Stardust Crusaders instead of giving Survivor to Pucci, he would probably have won. Notorious BIG is genuinely useless if you're not a fanatic, so it's worse than Hermit Purple, but still way better than Superfly, Cheap Trick, or Holly's Stand.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Pretty sure Survivor's user doesn't have any control over it, which is why DIO considered it the most useless Stand he'd ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Amazon just pinged me to ask me to re-confirm my regular (cheaper) DVD pre-order for Season One. I'd seen you folks talking about the more expensive version before but for whatever reason that one never showed up on my Amazon, but is now there. Am I totally off base or do you think it's possible that there's never going to be a cheaper version but they hosed it up so utterly that they priced it wrong from the start?

I mean gently caress it, I'll just order the more expensive one, whatever, a fool and their money and all that.