Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
those are some good looking gumbos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cold and rainy this weekend. Time to crank out a batch of white beans and rice.

No strict recipe, more or less followed this one:

http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/10/cajun-white-beans-with-rice.html

except grilled up some sliced kielbasa on side then chopped and threw in the last 30m or so. Also just used a mix of cumin, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to season instead of "cajun seasoning" as well as added in bay leaves and thyme into the beans after soaking.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Phil Moscowitz posted:

In honor of a new football (and gumbo) season, I made a shrimp and andouille gumbo.

Low-medium heat for another 5 minutes until you get a deep, rich chocolate color.

Yes, I have left some stuff out. There is some fresh thyme in there along with salt and pepper. Seasoning is kind of a personal thing.

OK, making mine right now, just chicken and chorizo. Got it to that dark brown colour where you can just start to smell it.

But holy poo poo, there needs to be a warning for this lava!!!!!!!!!!1
Splashed a bit onto my finger and I'm in agony and the skin has already blistered and started peeling.

It's taking my mind off my horrible toothache at least.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Fo3 posted:

OK, making mine right now, just chicken and chorizo. Got it to that dark brown colour where you can just start to smell it.

But holy poo poo, there needs to be a warning for this lava!!!!!!!!!!1
Splashed a bit onto my finger and I'm in agony and the skin has already blistered and started peeling.

It's taking my mind off my horrible toothache at least.

feelz good man posted:

:siren: DO THIS IN A DEEPASS POT BECAUSE IT'S NOT CALLED CAJUN NAPALM FOR SHITS AND GIGGLES. IT WILL BURN AND STICK TO YOUR SKIN :siren:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Oh man. One time a piece of roux jumped out and landed on my foot. I immediately swiped it off but the damage was done. Gave me a nickel sized blister and I couldn't wear shoes for two weeks. I never make roux in flip flops anymore.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Needs to be a sticky on the top of every page in this thread.
I've had a lot of burns, from welding and stuff. This is the worst.

E: VVVV
Australia

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 18, 2015

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You're probably right.

Are you in the U.S.? If so I love that you're making gumbo at 6:00 am. If not I love that you're making gumbo outside the U.S.!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Oh well, my partner didn't like it.
They said they hated the sausage because it tasted like salami. It was some unknown brand I bought at the shop where the cheap peppers, celery and other veg is, but it's not the shop we normally buy any meat at. Seemed alright to me, had a smokey flavour, but then again I was at the stovetop stirring, seasoning and tasting the whole time.
They also weren't impressed at eating dinner at 9.30pm. :shrug:

It was OK to me, nice change from regular meals. I've got to make some changes to my recipe, maybe 1/2 cup fat, 1/2 cup flour (instead of 1 and 1), less stock too, 750ml instead of 1L. Overall there was too much liquid for the meat I had.
I'll probably wait until I get some seafood and welding gloves before I do it again though. E: and maybe not take the roux so far, maybe she'll like it then?

What do you all do with the skin that forms while simmering? Skim it or stir it back in?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 18, 2015

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Keep working on it--it's a long process but you will get quicker and better as you try different things.

Took me a while before I got to the point where my cajun father-in-law said it was as good as any he's made (now he asks me to make it for him when they visit, which I consider the pinnacle of compliments).

Any fat or impurities that form on the surface should be skimmed off.

I would consider not taking the roux as far--adding the vegetables and/or liquid when it's the color of milk chocolate rather than the deep dark brown really won't hurt it and you will avoid any chance of burning or getting it too bitter. Also, the less you cook the roux, the more thickening power it has, which seems to have been a problem with yours.

e. If you really want that dark color but you don't want to take the roux too far, you can add a couple tablespoons of this stuff, though if a coonass sees you doing it you will be forever branded a cheater:

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 18, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Keep working on it--it's a long process but you will get quicker and better as you try different things.

Took me a while before I got to the point where my cajun father-in-law said it was as good as any he's made (now he asks me to make it for him when they visit, which I consider the pinnacle of compliments).

Any fat or impurities that form on the surface should be skimmed off.

I would consider not taking the roux as far--adding the vegetables and/or liquid when it's the color of milk chocolate rather than the deep dark brown really won't hurt it and you will avoid any chance of burning or getting it too bitter. Also, the less you cook the roux, the more thickening power it has, which seems to have been a problem with yours.

e. If you really want that dark color but you don't want to take the roux too far, you can add a couple tablespoons of this stuff, though if a coonass sees you doing it you will be forever branded a cheater:

You say that yet every one of my friends mothers seemingly had a bottle of that lying around in easy reach in their kitchens....

I used to use it fairly frequently when I was first making gumbo because I didn't really get the roux done just right for it. Still tasted awesome but came out a bit more blonde without adding the kitchen bouquet. Now I find that it's unnecessary but definitely took a long time to get to that point.

I'd second the advice above as well. The roux you have up there is a nice color for gumbo but could easily go a bit too far once you throw in the veggies and cook it down a little longer. If your partner didn't care for it, try what Phil said and see how it goes.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

You say that yet every one of my friends mothers seemingly had a bottle of that lying around in easy reach in their kitchens....

I used to use it fairly frequently when I was first making gumbo because I didn't really get the roux done just right for it. Still tasted awesome but came out a bit more blonde without adding the kitchen bouquet. Now I find that it's unnecessary but definitely took a long time to get to that point.

I'd second the advice above as well. The roux you have up there is a nice color for gumbo but could easily go a bit too far once you throw in the veggies and cook it down a little longer. If your partner didn't care for it, try what Phil said and see how it goes.

:ssh: There may be one of those in my kitchen as well, in the spice drawer, right by the stove where it can come and go easily, quickly, and without bothering anyone.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I have three friends having kids in the span of a week and I'm going to make a huge batch of chicken, sausage and shrimp gumbo. I have my go-to but I want to try something different. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a recipe or tweaks?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I have three friends having kids in the span of a week and I'm going to make a huge batch of chicken, sausage and shrimp gumbo. I have my go-to but I want to try something different. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a recipe or tweaks?

Just for the gumbo or do you want to do another cajun dish?

For gumbo one thing people don't do often is z'herbes

http://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/2013/03/a_gumbo_zherbes_recipe_and_the.html

I like it but not as much as a good standard gumbo but its nice if you want to come with something unexpected.

If you're not going for gumbo maybe some maque choux?

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2007/05/12/maque-choux-recipe/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Gumbo z'herbes is probably a little out there for this. I love maque choux, good suggestion. Maybe some other ideas for chicken and sausage gumbo recipes?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Gumbo z'herbes is probably a little out there for this. I love maque choux, good suggestion. Maybe some other ideas for chicken and sausage gumbo recipes?

Eh, I just kinda wing it (heh) each time for that with whatever I got. Hopefully someone else has a good suggestion.

You got any duck available? Could part one up, render the fat out of the breasts then boil up the carcass for stock, use the duckfat for the roux and mix in the duck meat. I've done that a few times and it's always awesome. Duckfat roux with that stock is pretty great.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

Eh, I just kinda wing it (heh) each time for that with whatever I got. Hopefully someone else has a good suggestion.

You got any duck available? Could part one up, render the fat out of the breasts then boil up the carcass for stock, use the duckfat for the roux and mix in the duck meat. I've done that a few times and it's always awesome. Duckfat roux with that stock is pretty great.

I love duck gumbo but the ducks I usually shoot have hardly any fat on their breasts. I need a farm...

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
We did grillades and grits last night, went pretty heavy on the sauce... :cheerdoge: oh and the sauce for the grillades as well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nhilist posted:

We did grillades and grits last night, went pretty heavy on the sauce... :cheerdoge: oh and the sauce for the grillades as well.

That looks awesome. One of my favorites.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I love using Tony's Chacere on stuff its delicious! One of my favorite things is to first add some lime and cilantro to give the meat im marinading a "Latin" kick then instead of using regular salt to use Tony's for that great Cajun flavoring

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nooner posted:

I love using Tony's Chacere on stuff its delicious! One of my favorite things is to first add some lime and cilantro to give the meat im marinading a "Latin" kick then instead of using regular salt to use Tony's for that great Cajun flavoring

If you're up for it, make your own Creole seasoning!

Here's what I do:

2 Tbs celery salt
2 Tbs fresh ground pepper
1 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
3 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground thyme

Feel free to double the recipe. Way less salty than Tony's and great for marinades.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nooner posted:

a "Latin" kick

Oh no not this again.

Phils recipe is good though, I use something more or less identical too, can't remember which cookbook I picked it up from. I'll put his in the OP.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

If you're up for it, make your own Creole seasoning!

Here's what I do:

2 Tbs celery salt
2 Tbs fresh ground pepper
1 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs onion powder
3 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground thyme

Feel free to double the recipe. Way less salty than Tony's and great for marinades.

Thanks, I will def try this and report back. As much as I like Tony's I'll admit the saltyness can be overbearing sometimes

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

Oh no not this again.

Phils recipe is good though, I use something more or less identical too, can't remember which cookbook I picked it up from. I'll put his in the OP.

That one's based on a recipe from one of Besh's books.

Lol at the new avatar BTW

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
When I made my own for my gumbo I did add some celery salt, so that's cool to know. I based it on an earlier post in the 1st or 2nd page I was messing with, and that's the only new thing I added.
Never tried allspice in it though.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Nooner posted:

Thanks, I will def try this and report back. As much as I like Tony's I'll admit the saltyness can be overbearing sometimes

Phil's recipe is solid, but I would go a step further and use finely ground celery seed rather than celery salt. I like to salt separately than I season. I tend to season early and salt late when I cook. Alternately, if you're looking for a quick convenience seasoning, Tony's makes a salt-free option.

holttho
May 21, 2007

I would always recommend using separate seasoning and separate salt, never the celery/garlic/etc-salt combos. Not only can you control exactly how much of each you can put in your dish, but 'salt' doesn't always mean 'table salt', and is a fairly broad category of things. Much in the same way that McDonald's can claim their burger patties are only 'beef, salt, and pepper', the definition of salt is loose (also pepper in that case). Most blends are simply the seasoning + sodium chloride + anti-caking agents, but other, more-questionable brands may have salts like MSG or other higher salts in them. Granted, I personally have no problem with MSG or other options, I just want to be the one to make the call as to when I use it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah I think I am going to start using fresh ground celery seed and adjusting the kosher salt, this has been a good conversation.

Failed Nihilist
Apr 10, 2015
If no one has heard, Chef Prudhomme has died.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Failed Nihilist posted:

If no one has heard, Chef Prudhomme has died.

:smith:

Yeah. We were talkin about that in the GWS chat thread.

Dude lived a good while though and did a lot of cool poo poo. Guess thats a good legacy to live behind.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'm not normally a GWS poster but I decided to come and post a little memorial.

I was born in New Orleans right at the time K-Paul's opened and Prudhomme got huge (:btroll: lol). My folks are complete yankees, and we moved away when I was young so I hardly remember it. But we were there in the middle of the cajun & creole food rage and my folks loved it. My mom took cooking classes and really got into it, so the food stuck with us long after. When I learned to cook this stuff became like half of what I do on the regular. Throwing together a jambalaya or red beans is what I make on autopilot when I don't know what else to do.

Here is Paul Prudhomme's favorite dish, the stuffed pork roast that "will knock your socks off". It's really good, I like this a lot too. Thanks Chef Paul, you glorious fat bastard. I hope you're eating your way back to 500 pounds wherever you are now.

code:
Prudhomme's Stuffed Pork Roast

1 small onion, chopped fine
½ med. green pepper, chopped fine
2 stalks celery, chopped fine
    2 tsp black pepper
    1 ½ tsp salt
    1 tsp white pepper
    scant 1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp thyme
    ½ tsp mustard
2 TBsp butter
2 TBsp veg oil
1 TBsp minced garlic

one 4-5 lb boneless pork loin

butter & oil in large skillet, high heat
saute veg & spices ~ 4 minutes
put aside to cool
preheat oven to 275°
cut pockets or center slits in pork loin. Stuff cuts with half of veg mixture, rub rest all over pork
pork on rack fat side up, spread any remaining veg on top
bake 3 hours at 275, finish 10 minutes at 425 or until top is browned
(note: last couple times I got pork loin they're center cut completely when deboned. So rather than making pockets on the outside I just stuff from the inside and tie it. IIRC this is the version from A Fork in the Road, which is why it's got vegtable oil rather than all butter or lard. Feel free to substitute.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Klyith posted:

I'm not normally a GWS poster but I decided to come and post a little memorial.

I was born in New Orleans right at the time K-Paul's opened and Prudhomme got huge (:btroll: lol). My folks are complete yankees, and we moved away when I was young so I hardly remember it. But we were there in the middle of the cajun & creole food rage and my folks loved it. My mom took cooking classes and really got into it, so the food stuck with us long after. When I learned to cook this stuff became like half of what I do on the regular. Throwing together a jambalaya or red beans is what I make on autopilot when I don't know what else to do.

Here is Paul Prudhomme's favorite dish, the stuffed pork roast that "will knock your socks off". It's really good, I like this a lot too. Thanks Chef Paul, you glorious fat bastard. I hope you're eating your way back to 500 pounds wherever you are now.

code:
Prudhomme's Stuffed Pork Roast

1 small onion, chopped fine
½ med. green pepper, chopped fine
2 stalks celery, chopped fine
    2 tsp black pepper
    1 ½ tsp salt
    1 tsp white pepper
    scant 1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp thyme
    ½ tsp mustard
2 TBsp butter
2 TBsp veg oil
1 TBsp minced garlic

one 4-5 lb boneless pork loin

butter & oil in large skillet, high heat
saute veg & spices ~ 4 minutes
put aside to cool
preheat oven to 275°
cut pockets or center slits in pork loin. Stuff cuts with half of veg mixture, rub rest all over pork
pork on rack fat side up, spread any remaining veg on top
bake 3 hours at 275, finish 10 minutes at 425 or until top is browned
(note: last couple times I got pork loin they're center cut completely when deboned. So rather than making pockets on the outside I just stuff from the inside and tie it. IIRC this is the version from A Fork in the Road, which is why it's got vegtable oil rather than all butter or lard. Feel free to substitute.)
With some small modifications, this seems like a great thing to throw on the smoker.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Pork loin is awesome on the smoker, I'm never quite sure why it doesn't get more "press." I would definitely recommend a short, hot smoke over the low and slow method that you'd use for ribs and shoulder though. Pull it out at 135° and let the residual heat bring it up to 140, that poo poo dries out real quick.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Pork loin is awesome on the smoker, I'm never quite sure why it doesn't get more "press." I would definitely recommend a short, hot smoke over the low and slow method that you'd use for ribs and shoulder though. Pull it out at 135° and let the residual heat bring it up to 140, that poo poo dries out real quick.
How thick are your cuts? Hot and quick works great for smaller tenderloins, but all the cryovac loins I've picked up are in the 8-10 pound range and are a solid six inches thick, which I've viewed as way too much to get any kind of even cooking any way other than low and slow. For those I've been doing an overnight dry brine + marinade injection and bringing them up to a final resting temp of 140-145.

e: poo poo, thought I was in the smoking thread, didn't mean to derail the Cajun discussion

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So if I need a single book on cajun cooking, would Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen cover me?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Steve Yun posted:

So if I need a single book on cajun cooking, would Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen cover me?

Definitely. You can get used copies cheap all over the place.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

How thick are your cuts? Hot and quick works great for smaller tenderloins, but all the cryovac loins I've picked up are in the 8-10 pound range and are a solid six inches thick, which I've viewed as way too much to get any kind of even cooking any way other than low and slow. For those I've been doing an overnight dry brine + marinade injection and bringing them up to a final resting temp of 140-145.

e: poo poo, thought I was in the smoking thread, didn't mean to derail the Cajun discussion

I wouldn't put tenderloin on the smoker, just loin. I usually get a whole loin and divide it into a few 2-3 pound roasts. By hot, I mean somewhere between 300-325 for about an hour. A loin really doesn't have the fat or convective tissue to justify a long, slow smoke.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I think that ones more or less the best. Justin Wilsons cookbook is decent, but I don't think it's as comprehensive. I should drag them both out and compare.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Folse's Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cuisine is my Cajun cooking bible. It's an amazing book, though I think it's out of print.

But Prudhomme's etouffee recipe is the base for my and my Cajun father in law's crawfish etouffee and it's one of the best things I have ever eaten.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 11, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Folse's Encyclopedia of Cajun and Creole Cuisine is my Cajun cooking bible. It's an amazing book, though I think it's out of print.

But Prudhomme's etouffee recupe is the base for my and my Cajun father in law's crawfish etouffee and it's one if the best things I have ever eaten.

I've run across Folse's recipes here and there, never saw the book though. I should try to find one.

Comparing Wilson and Prudhomme's books, Wilson's is a bit lighthearted. Got some good recipes in it but Prudhomme's is more thorough and has a lot more adaptability in things.

A neat cookbook I've used is the Picayune cookbook, which is a collection of submitted recipes from the Picayune newspaper (now the Times-Picayune) from the late 1800s to 1901 or so. It's hilarious to read in its naive politically incorrectness and also for the random recipes in half french / sometimes antiquated measurement increments. It's got a ton of recipes in it though all over the spectrum and does a nice job of giving recipe lists for a weeks cooking based on what vegetables and seafood are in season at each time of the year (which is actually quite useful). Hell the 1st chapter is entirely on how to brew coffee properly. I love it. Worth a read but if you want to use it be prepared to find substitutes for some random ingredients (like a calfs head) that you don't really see much now.

http://smile.amazon.com/Picayune-Cr...reole+cook+book

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

John Folse's Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole cuisine is excellent. It's a great read, though I haven't tried the recipes. They seem solid, though. It has a ton of history and the photography is really great. If I remember correctly, the hardcopy came with a PDF version as well, so that's pretty handy. I'm definitely going to have to get that Picayune cookbook, though.

e: My mother got a copy when it came out. I don't own it myself, so I'm not 100% about the PDF. There appears to be a "multimedia CD" version that's way more expensive, so that may be what I'm remembering. Anyway, link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Encyclopedia-Cajun-Creole-Cuisine/dp/0970445717

Mushika fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Cross post from what did you do for dinner thread.

Oyster Po' Boy with stone ground mustard caper remoulade.

Look at those little fatties